• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wow those are terrible D:

Just over-animated. Really lose the nuance and sensibility of the original scenes.
Its not really over-animated. It is, however, fast paced. Which is good for scenes where the original anime stretched things out, but not as good for scenes where there was more purposeful slow pace, such as the Luffy vs Usopp fight.

I blame the entire country of japan for this, especially Yoshikazu tomita his a good animator but has recently caught a big shiny boob disease.

I would have never guessed

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Watched the latest episode and
I find it hard to believe that Monet could hold Luffy for so long, I know she was pretty much time wasting on purpose but you'd think Luffy could still stomp her pretty easily

Eh, it makes sense. Luffy usually struggles against tricky opponents that won't fight him seriously. Plus Luffy wasn't really taking the fight seriously himself. I actually really liked the filler scene they added that made him reminiscence about Zoro's warning: made it more impactful and more obvious that Luffy only struggled because he didn't try.

Funimation just announced that they will be premiering the English version of Strong World at Anime Weekend in Atlanta next month. http://funimation.tumblr.com/post/59529007387/one-piece-film-strong-world-makes-its-english It also seems that they'll be revealing the voice actor for Brook sometime next week.

tumblr_loxmbu4gev1qhif4sj9.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Acid08

Banned
Just discovered something in the manga that I missed in the anime, it was Akainu that blew up the innocent evacuation ship at Ohara. God, I fucking hate that guy.

Just discovered something in the manga that I missed in the anime, it was Akainu that blew up the innocent evacuation ship at Ohara. God, I fucking hate that guy.

It's not really a miss as when that's first revealed you have no idea who that character is and he doesn't reappear for over 200 episodes

BatDan

It's not really a miss as when that's first revealed you have no idea who that character is and he doesn't reappear for over 200 episodes

They do say it's "Vice-Admiral Sakazuki (the future Admiral Akainu)" in a box, and it was established that the admirals are Aokiji, Akainu and Kizaru. Still, it serves as a pretty good example of foreshadowing the type of person Sakazuki would be in the present.

They do say it's "Vice-Admiral Sakazuki (the future Admiral Akainu)" in a box, and it was established that the admirals are Aokiji, Akainu and Kizaru. Still, it serves as a pretty good example of foreshadowing the type of person Sakazuki would be in the present.

I get that, I'm just saying it's not really something Acid08 or anyone else "missed" their first time though, it more of a "didn't realize the significance of" moment which the series is famous for with all it's crazy foreshadowing. Missing is more something like "I missed the moment where Nami lost her jacket during Enies Lobby" or "I missed the point of Zoro's 'scars on the back are a sign of shame' against Mihawk" the former which I had to go back and find as it bothered me during the Kalifa fight the later which was just me being dumb lol

Re-reading some One Piece (as usual) and some things I found interesting:

• In Enies Lobby, it always seemed like an overkill to destroy the entire island. Is that just me? It's an important island for the marine. They could've just sent some admirals instead of destroying the whole island. Also during that arc, they blow up a marine ship with over a thousand marine on it, just to try to hit Luffy, which for the record was in vain.
  • In Sabaody Archipelago, Kizaru is referred to as the most powerful of the admirals, yet it seems like he's the weaker of the three (pre-timeskip)? Or maybe he just didn't have any ambitions to become fleet admiral. Also in that arc, how did all (or almost all) of the supernova get away when Kizaru could defeat them so easily?
  • Why did Garp let bandits raise Luffy and Ace when he wanted them to be marine? Surely there's some better place to raise future marine soldiers, and how old was Coby when he joined the navy any way? Garp messed up with Dragon too, or so one would imagine.

Just some things I always found weird. I've read through One Piece so many times now and still love it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kizaru is lazy as fuck that's why. If he could have been bothered to give a quarter of half a rat's ass he could have taken all the supernovas out in an instant.

Acid08

Banned
Aokiji comes across as someone who's too amicable to be a true villain. He obviously has ambition since he wanted to be the leader of the Marines but he lacks that cutthroat quality that Akainu has.

I also like how in Punk Hazard, seeing a dragon makes no sense at all to them -- "dragons don't exist", "dragons are fantasy creatures" etc, yet devil fruits, giants, gnomes, minotaurs and all kinds of other monsters are perfectly normal. I wonder why dragons are considered abnormal in this world?

Still waiting for that kizaru vs black beard battle

Why? Oh, because light vs darkness? Makes sense, but Blackbeard would probably win. I picture him being the final boss -- I imagine him and Luffy, both of them with D in their name, fight it out towards the end of the manga. It makes sense considering the presentation between the two. Otherwise the last fight would have to be someone else who we've seen for a while -- possibly Smoker (Luffy vs Smoker similar to Roger vs Garp), or just an over-all massive battle between Strawhats and Marine. Maybe Luffy's alliance vs some emperor alliance.

Kizaru is lazy as fuck that's why. If he could have been bothered to give a quarter of half a rat's ass he could have taken all the supernovas out in an instant.

Suppose that's true, but here's the thing: Kizaru brought in 500 pirates from Sabaody that day.

zulux21

so I was wondering if some one piece fans in here could help me identify some mini mugs I bought at my thrift store today.

the mugs are tiny (like even to small for espresso) and seem to have one for each month (though I don't seem to have a january which is the main reason i want to know what they are from so I can find out who is january... my guess is Ace)

anyways chopper is December, robin is October, nami is July, usopp is April, Boa hancock is feb, sanji is march, luffy is may, shanks is june, franky is august, brook is september, zoro is novemember.

I can take pictures later (gotta charge the camera lol) but i was hoping someone might know from this info.

Mr. Fix

[*]In Sabaody Archipelago, Kizaru is referred to as the most powerful of the admirals, yet it seems like he's the weaker of the three (pre-timeskip)? Or maybe he just didn't have any ambitions to become fleet admiral. Also in that arc, how did all (or almost all) of the supernova get away when Kizaru could defeat them so easily?

If Kizaru weren't slow-minded, he'd definitely be the strongest. I do appreciate how Oda balances these guys out. A fight with Kizaru wouldn't necessarily be one-sided, especially with haki. But then you'd also have to wonder how advantageous Benn Beckman is with those Haki bullets.

BatDan

If Kizaru weren't slow-minded, he'd definitely be the strongest. I do appreciate how Oda balances these guys out. A fight with Kizaru wouldn't necessarily be one-sided, especially with haki. But then you'd also have to wonder how advantageous Benn Beckman is with those Haki bullets.

Seeing Shanks and his crew go all out is going to be so awesome. I imagine we'll get to that point in saaaay 14 years?

Mr. Fix

Seeing Shanks and his crew go all out is going to be so awesome. I imagine we'll get to that point in saaaay 14 years?

Within the next 7 years hopefully, assuming that each island lasts about a year. That's why I'm against any of the Yonkou or two-dozen secondary characters going down so early. I want them all saved up for the final war. For the current arc in the manga, I'm personally hoping that
Cavendish
manages to make it into that final war too.

Jigolo

Wheres that dude that knows who is animating the next few episodes?

It should be safe to assume excellent animation for tomorrows episode, right? Vergo vs Smoker is pretty big.

RomanceDawn

Re-reading some One Piece (as usual) and some things I found interesting:

• In Enies Lobby, it always seemed like an overkill to destroy the entire island. Is that just me? It's an important island for the marine. They could've just sent some admirals instead of destroying the whole island. Also during that arc, they blow up a marine ship with over a thousand marine on it, just to try to hit Luffy, which for the record was in vain.
  • In Sabaody Archipelago, Kizaru is referred to as the most powerful of the admirals, yet it seems like he's the weaker of the three (pre-timeskip)? Or maybe he just didn't have any ambitions to become fleet admiral. Also in that arc, how did all (or almost all) of the supernova get away when Kizaru could defeat them so easily?
  • Why did Garp let bandits raise Luffy and Ace when he wanted them to be marine? Surely there's some better place to raise future marine soldiers, and how old was Coby when he joined the navy any way? Garp messed up with Dragon too, or so one would imagine.

Just some things I always found weird. I've read through One Piece so many times now and still love it.

Well the Buster Call is kind of based on the Scorching Earth policy. The Marines know the rules, destroy anything and everything on that island to get the targets, even if it means taking out your own men. The alarm is set and that's it, action mode, no turning back despite it being an accident when the button was pressed.

I'd argue at the time they didn't think an Admiral would have been worth their time trying to take out the Straw Hats. Five Vice Admirals were more than enough but of course Onigumo thought for sure Rob Lucci was enough to handle Luffy. Even Kuma acknowledged Lucci's ability and couldn't believe he lost. Still it was dumb for the Vice Admirals to not participate.

As far as Kizaru being referred to as the most powerful Admiral I think I know what you are talking about. I remember when the chapter was released there was some confusion with that, same with Aokiji, but there is no special distinction that claims he is the most superior. They talk of the Admiral being the most powerful Navy force but not Kizaru standing above the others. He could be but I certainly doubt it. Even if he is, we already know they all roughly have the same capability.

Kizaru's moto is ambiguous or unlcear justice, or something like that. Something to that affect. So he isn't as laxed as Aokiji's lazy justice or Akainu's absolute Justice. He could have done more, but he as more of a wait and see approach to his style. So while the marines did round up a lot of pirates Kizaru defeated, chances are the other Super Nova's got away once he had to deal with the Straw Hat's, Rayleigh and Kuma.

As for Garp it really was a fail move for him to entrust his grand kids to the mountain bandits, especially since he wanted them to become Naval officers. But I do understand his logic. See Garp grew up just like that, running around through jungles beating up tigers with pipes and in all likelihood stealing treasure from bad guys. All of this probably went on in the same mountains and jungles that Luffy and Ace grew up in. Garp probably figured since they can't join the marines just yet, they can get an amazing head start growing up in the woods like he did. He knew Dadan was a "bad guy" but probably knew her well enough that he thought for sure they'd be raised with some moral decency.

Well the Buster Call is kind of based on the Scorching Earth policy. The Marines know the rules, destroy anything and everything on that island to get the targets, even if it means taking out your own men. The alarm is set and that's it, action mode, no turning back despite it being an accident when the button was pressed.

I'd argue at the time they didn't think an Admiral would have been worth their time trying to take out the Straw Hats. Five Vice Admirals were more than enough but of course Onigumo thought for sure Rob Lucci was enough to handle Luffy. Even Kuma acknowledged Lucci's ability and couldn't believe he lost. Still it was dumb for the Vice Admirals to not participate.

Actually, Spandam himself says that he could call them and tell them that it was a mistake, but chooses not to. In either case, you'd think some high-standing marine would say: "Wait, why would we destroy our own island?" You say an admiral wouldn't have been worth the time, but honestly, sending on admiral instead of ten battleships and five vice admirals seems like the opposite: a big time-saver (and saves a bunch of resources).

I do wonder what happened to Enies Lobby post-timeskip though. Maybe they rebuilt it. It has a really good position for the marine.

As far as Kizaru being referred to as the most powerful Admiral I think I know what you are talking about. I remember when the chapter was released there was some confusion with that, same with Aokiji, but there is no special distinction that claims he is the most superior. They talk of the Admiral being the most powerful Navy force but not Kizaru standing above the others. He could be but I certainly doubt it. Even if he is, we already know they all roughly have the same capability.

Kizaru's moto is ambiguous or unlcear justice, or something like that. Something to that affect. So he isn't as laxed as Aokiji's lazy justice or Akainu's absolute Justice. He could have done more, but he as more of a wait and see approach to his style. So while the marines did round up a lot of pirates Kizaru defeated, chances are the other Super Nova's got away once he had to deal with the Straw Hat's, Rayleigh and Kuma.

Sure, but it still doesn't make much sense to me, really. Unclear justice and lazy or otherwise, it makes sense to take them out there and then, since they're easy targets for him and will only get stronger.

As for Garp it really was a fail move for him to entrust his grand kids to the mountain bandits, especially since he wanted them to become Naval officers. But I do understand his logic. See Garp grew up just like that, running around through jungles beating up tigers with pipes and in all likelihood stealing treasure from bad guys. All of this probably went on in the same mountains and jungles that Luffy and Ace grew up in. Garp probably figured since they can't join the marines just yet, they can get an amazing head start growing up in the woods like he did. He knew Dadan was a "bad guy" but probably knew her well enough that he thought for sure they'd be raised with some moral decency.

Hmm, how do you know how Garp grew up? I don't remember that ever being said in the manga, although maybe I missed something. But even so, while we don't know how Dragon grew up, we know that he is Garp's son and that he isn't one of the marines, but instead the world's most wanted man. How come the son of the legendary marine soldier is the world's most wanted man? There seems to be some understanding between Garp and Dragon, as if Garp understand what and why Dragon is doing, but even so Garp failed with Dragon, so it just seems to me like he'd know better for his grandchild. And I like I said, Coby joined the marines at a really young age, so surely Luffy could have as well, had Garp "forced" him to.

RomanceDawn

Wait what chapter did Spandam say he could call and tell them it was a mistake? I believe you, I'd just really like to see.

As for sending an Admiral, one of them was there during all of that but I doubt anyone would have suspected he would have literally done nothing. The whole Buster Call issue was something that changed his out look on life and a part of him wanted to see the Straw Hats escape. Blame plot armor and motives.

Well Luffy was essentially the one who attacked the Celestial Dragon so he was the main target. Kizaru probably thought he could one shot everyone and round them up afterward. Only he had much more to deal with when he encountered the Straw Hats buying time for the other named pirates to escape.

The only thing we know about Garp is from an SBS picture of him as a child. Riding a beat up tiger, carrying a pipe and treasure. Considering everything with Dragon, Garp and the 3 brothers in the Goa Kingdom, It's a safe bet Garp grew up there as well.

Acid08

Banned
Finished up Thriller Bark in the manga and found it pretty boring the second time around. Liked it in the anime much more. I guess all the surprises only work once plus I think Moria is lame.

RomanceDawn

Finished up Thriller Bark in the manga and found it pretty boring the second time around. Liked it in the anime much more. I guess all the surprises only work once plus I think Moria is lame.

The only parts of Thriller Bark I hate are the times Nami is getting chased by Lola. Other than that I really love it. Knowing what I know now, Oars, that legendary Samurai and Perona are all so intruiging and still there are mysteries about it all that are yet to be uncovered.

I figure when Moria returns he will be a little more like his younger self with muscles and chin. Getting to see a flash back of his original crew before they died would be nice and I'm completely expecting it.

I enjoyed the anime more as well. I've only read through TB twice; once when it was coming out weekly and then a re-read later on and I've never enjoyed it as much as the anime either way. New or repeated. It's one of my favorite arcs in the anime though.

Wait what chapter did Spandam say he could call and tell them it was a mistake? I believe you, I'd just really like to see.

As for sending an Admiral, one of them was there during all of that but I doubt anyone would have suspected he would have literally done nothing. The whole Buster Call issue was something that changed his out look on life and a part of him wanted to see the Straw Hats escape. Blame plot armor and motives.

Well Luffy was essentially the one who attacked the Celestial Dragon so he was the main target. Kizaru probably thought he could one shot everyone and round them up afterward. Only he had much more to deal with when he encountered the Straw Hats buying time for the other named pirates to escape.

The only thing we know about Garp is from an SBS picture of him as a child. Riding a beat up tiger, carrying a pipe and treasure. Considering everything with Dragon, Garp and the 3 brothers in the Goa Kingdom, It's a safe bet Garp grew up there as well.

Oh, I don't know the exact chapter, but it's the same chapter as in the one he presses it. He says it right afterwards. First he gets all worked up that he accidentally pressed it, and considers canceling it, but then he calms down and thinks that it could work to his advantage.

I don't really know what you're saying in your second paragraph. What admiral?

I figure when Moria returns he will be a little more like his younger self with muscles and chin. Getting to see a flash back of his original crew before they died would be nice and I'm completely expecting it.

It still hasn't been confirmed if he's alive or dead, right? But he's probably alive. Everyone survives in One Piece. Pell brings an enormous bomb to the sky and scarifies himself -- a few weeks later he's running around like nothing happened. (Manga spoiler ->?)
Bon Kurei scarifies himself in Impel Down, some time later he's ruling the Newkama Land.
Doflamingo is ordered to kill Moriah, aided with pacifistas -- yet Moriah probably survived. And if the pattern is correct, next time we see Moriah, he will be on Luffy's side. Seems like most of Luffy's past enemies who reappear are suddenly friends with Luffy.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
It still hasn't been confirmed if he's alive or dead, right? But he's probably alive. Everyone survives in One Piece. Pell brings an enormous bomb to the sky and scarifies himself -- a few weeks later he's running around like nothing happened. (Manga spoiler ->?)
Bon Kurei scarifies himself in Impel Down, some time later he's ruling the Newkama Land.
Doflamingo is ordered to kill Moriah, aided with pacifistas -- yet Moriah probably survived. And if the pattern is correct, next time we see Moriah, he will be on Luffy's side. Seems like most of Luffy's past enemies who reappear are suddenly friends with Luffy.

Except that people actually started dying en masse sometime after Thriller Bark. Especially at the hands of Kid.

One Piece as a whole started getting pretty graphic when New World began.

BatDan

Oh, I don't know the exact chapter, but it's the same chapter as in the one he presses it. He says it right afterwards. First he gets all worked up that he accidentally pressed it, and considers canceling it, but then he calms down and thinks that it could work to his advantage.

I don't really know what you're saying in your second paragraph. What admiral?

He's still alive. There's a scene where Doflamingo is talking to someone (we don't see who) that when he was about to pull off the finishing blow, Moriah disappeared. Fans suspect that
Absalom helped him escape.

As for named characters that have died since the timeskip.
People suspect Monet and Vergo are dead, especially the former. Though it hasn't been confirmed, and knowing Oda they probably survived.

He's still alive. There's a scene where Doflamingo is talking to someone (we don't see who) that when he was about to pull off the finishing blow, Moriah disappeared. Fans suspect that
Absalom helped him escape.

As for named characters that have died since the timeskip.
People suspect Monet and Vergo are dead, especially the former. Though it hasn't been confirmed, and knowing Oda they probably survived.

Yeah, I know about that, but Doflamingo also said that Moriah was critically injured and would die no matter what he did. But yeah, he's probably alive. As for your second paragraph -- that's true I suppose. The former must've died and the latter is dead according to Doflamingo, but what does he know.

Never heard of that Absalom theory. Seems random, but it's possible I suppose.

BatDan

Yeah, I know about that, but Doflamingo also said that Moriah was critically injured and would die no matter what he did. But yeah, he's probably alive. As for your second paragraph -- that's true I suppose. The former must've died and the latter is dead according to Doflamingo, but what does he know.

Never heard of that Absalom theory. Seems random, but it's possible I suppose.

Like I said, it's possible they somehow survived. Pell survived a bomb, Conis' dad survived a direct hit from one of Eneru's giant blasts, I'm sure Oda has something there as well.

I'm not really counting on Blackbeard to be the final boss.

Why not? Everything is building up to him being the final boss of the series.

Like I said, it's possible they somehow survived. Pell survived a bomb, Conis' dad survived a direct hit from one of Eneru's giant blasts, I'm sure Oda has something there as well.

Why not? Everything is building up to him being the final boss of the series.

I think black beard will be the boss of Raftel competing with Luffy for one piece, I think Akainu or one of the Gotei will be the true final boss once the straw hats learn the truth behind one piece and the void century

BatDan

I think black beard will be the boss of Raftel competing with Luffy for one piece, I think Akainu or one of the Gotei will be the true final boss once the straw hats learn the truth behind one piece and the void century

Huh?
*thinks* Oh you mean the Gorosei (or Five Elder Stars).
I could see that being a possibility.

I'm not really counting on Blackbeard to be the final boss.

Like I recently said, I'm pretty certain he will be. Either him, Smoker or some all out war between tons of pirates and marines.

Well,
the Wiki does say that Monet died, and the people who write on that Wiki are crazy. One Piece seriously has one heck of a dedicated Wiki. Still, there's no proof other than the stabbed heart in the manga, and like you said, people survive everything in One Piece.

Akainu? Nah. He won't be the final boss. Also what's a Gotei? I googled it and searched on the wiki but there's no such thing. On Google all I get is some Bleach stuff. Seriously "one piece gotei" takes you to Bleach.

BatDan

Auto correct sorry everyone -.-

Haha, it's cool.
You do know there's a way to turn that off right?

Oh, the Five Elder Stars?

Wait, what? How would they be a boss?

They're the leaders of the World Government. They know all the secrets of the Void Century, and as Robin's flashback showed, they are willing to commit genocide to hide said secret. As well as put a 79 Million bounty on an eight year old girl.
As Garp and Whitebeard have shown, being old doesn't mean you're weak.

Haha, it's cool.
You do know there's a way to turn that off right?

They're the leaders of the World Government. They know all the secrets of the Void Century, and as Robin's flashback showed, they are willing to commit genocide to hide said secret. As well as put a 79 Million bounty on an eight year old girl.

Honestly most of the time I find it an asset cause I have fat thumbs which makes it hard to type on an iPhone.

Well, if they knew how to fight then surely they would've been there at the war with Whitebeard. Almost all of the marine's power was there. I personally think the Elder Five are like the "wise" men of the marine -- not fighters, just brains. But sure, they could be fighters are show up near the end. I can imagine all kinds of twists being done here. Maybe all five of them have some incredible powers. Maybe they've even kept it a secret to the marine.

Hmm, yeah, I can see that. I'm still confident that the last fight will be Blackbeard or possibly Smoker, but I can see the Elder Five fight now that I think about it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Well, if they knew how to fight then surely they would've been there at the war with Whitebeard. Almost all of the marine's power was there. I personally think the Elder Five are like the "wise" men of the marine -- not fighters, just brains. But sure, they could be fighters are show up near the end. I can imagine all kinds of twists being done here. Maybe all five of them have some incredible powers. Maybe they've even kept it a secret to the marine.

Hmm, yeah, I can see that. I'm still confident that the last fight will be Blackbeard or possibly Smoker, but I can see the Elder Five fight now that I think about it.

Well, the Gorosei aren't actually part of the marines. They're the leaders of the World Government. We don't actually know if they have any real fighting ability, though considering how One Piece works, they're probably all awesome.

Top Bottom