• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Acid08

Banned
Akainu will definitely not be the last boss. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first Admiral that Luffy beats. It'll be a big test of his haki abilities and vengeance for him killing Ace. Also I expect Sabo to come back during the eventual "Avenge Ace" arc.

Akainu will definitely not be the last boss. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he's the first Admiral that Luffy beats. It'll be a big test of his haki abilities and vengeance for him killing Ace. Also I expect Sabo to come back during the eventual "Avenge Ace" arc.

Akainu is the fleet admiral there is no way luffy fights him first

Soriku

Once the Void Century and One Piece gets revealed, the Marines will probably form the biggest force ever. Oda said that Marineford will be nothing compared to the final battle. I don't see Blackbeard being the biggest threat of all (or at least the final obstacle) in midst of that.

Black Beard is clearly meant to be a foil to Luffy, but the series has clearly built up the world government to be the true villains in this pirate series.

Korosenai

You're right, totally forgot he went up a rank.

Still, he won't be the final dude Luffy has to send flying.

Akainu survived against Whitebeard, punched half of his face off, killed Ace, had Blackbeard running away from him post time skip, and is just an asshole in general (Robins past, trying to kill Coby during the war, etc.). There's really no one else in the series right now that screams final boss besides him or Blackbeard.

Acid08

Banned
Finished up Sabaody, cemented it as my favorite arc. Loved it on the anime and even more in the manga. Duval, the slavery themes, corrupt royals, Luffy going berserk, seeing more rookies, Rayleigh, and of course the ending. I love how much it tells us about the world of OP while leaving so much dangling information to come back in the future.

demidar

Akainu survived against Whitebeard, punched half of his face off, killed Ace, had Blackbeard running away from him post time skip, and is just an asshole in general (Robins past, trying to kill Coby during the war, etc.). There's really no one else in the series right now that screams final boss besides him or Blackbeard.

Blackbeard is gonna swoop in and OHKO Akainu to show how crazy powerful he is.

Given Whitebeard's final words and the stuff that was foreshadowed at the end of the Fishman Island arc, it seems pretty clear to me that the final battle with the government will happen after Luffy finds One Piece. It wouldn't make a lot of sense if Blackbeard isn't defeated by then. I guess the final boss could still be someone other than Akainu, though.

Acid08

Banned
I've really liked seeing the continuing adventures of CP9 too although it is a little maddening that none of them are actually dead. But hey that's One Piece.

Soriku

lol this new episode was kinda dumb.

Caesar: I wanted world peace...so I created a weapon of mass destruction.

Also I like how in the lab in the flashback they just happened to have a red button that, if pressed, blows up the island.

My brother just finished Enies Lobby, he too shed manly tears and said again "this series is incredible anyone who says other wise is crazy"

I'm glad OP was one of the first anime I ever read and watched. I never could (and still don't) understand why people complain about the art style. Even though I can see it's slightly different, it's just not different enough that I can understand why people wouldn't read or watch based on that.

Cwarrior

I wish I could like these better but Zolo still kills me.

Doesn't stop me from buying them though.

I don't get the big deal about the zolo/zoro name thing, they could of called him Samuel L Jackson for all I care, it wouldn't make a difference his still the same badass moss hair three sworld wielding character.

It's just a name it doesn't drastically change the story or characters.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't get the big deal about the zolo/zoro name thing, they could of called him Samuel L Jackson for all I care, it wouldn't make a difference his still the same badass moss hair three sworld wielding character.

It's just a name.

Because it's a remnant of the time we don't like to talk about.
Viz used to call him Zoro, but changed it when that dub showed up.

Why would I pay for an inferior product? If viz wants my money which I want to give them they need to fix the issues that have been well documented with their one piece volumes releases. I'll probably own all of bleach and naruto before I ever buy a single volume of one piece despite it being the superior manga

Zolo bothers me just like any other name that wasn't accurate. I don't want to read about Ruffy becoming the Pirate King, I want Luffy. I want Zoro. Hell, I started reading One Piece in America's Shonen Jump and they called Zoro... Zoro up until the 4Kids dub came out. And it's not just that that bothers me about their manga. I dislike Ace's name in the manga (Portgaz), I'm not a big fan of calling the Going Merry the Merry Go even though I can understand it, etc... they do lots of little changes.

Acid08

Banned

Because it's shoddy work. His name is so obviously not Zolo, why the hell would they make it that?

zulux21

Because it's shoddy work. His name is so obviously not Zolo, why the hell would they make it that?

well you should keep in mind that L=R in japan.
anyways rewatching enis lobby... forgot how good this was, and is fairly well done in english.... I totally forgot there was 4 recap eps in the middle of it though :/

Acid08

Banned
well you should keep in mind that L=R in japan.
anyways rewatching enis lobby... forgot how good this was, and is fairly well done in english.... I totally forgot there was 4 recap eps in the middle of it though :/
Yeah, I know that. Still though, they started with Zoro and then changed it which is terrible.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Because 4Kids was scared shitless about getting sued since they learned One Piece was much more violent than they thought (which is why they went overboard with the editing). Learning there's a character with a name similar to an existing character, they went with the incorrect but not wrong option of swapping the R with L.

Unfortunately, Viz followed suit (if you look hard in used book stores, you can find the first four volumes where he's called Zoro).
As for why they won't change it back? They've cited two reasons. One: Consistency (not that this is has stopped them before, or with other continuity gaffes). Two: Confusion with Zorro comics (which sounds like utter bullshit, and that Viz thinks people are morons).

Because 4Kids was scared shitless about getting sued since they learned One Piece was much more violent than they thought (which is why they went overboard with the editing). Learning there's a character with a name similar to an existing character, they went with the incorrect but not wrong option of swapping the R with L.

Unfortunately, Viz followed suit (if you look hard in used book stores, you can find the first four volumes where he's called Zoro).
As for why they won't change it back? They've cited two reasons. One: Consistency (not that this is has stopped them before, or with other continuity gaffes). Two: Confusion with Zorro comics (which sounds like utter bullshit, and that Viz thinks people are morons).

Guys dwarves are too similar to JRR Tolkien's LotR so we can't use that term

RomanceDawn

Zolo is not a big deal at all. The fact is we are super lucky because now THE go to guy for One Piece translations in English now officially translates for VIZ's One Piece. The story is intact pretty much 100%, always has been and now its done by a major fan of the series who is extremely aware of the story's rich history.

Tell me do you prefer Siliew or Shiryu? Oz or Oars?

Zolo is not a big deal at all. The fact is we are super lucky because now THE go to guy for One Piece translations in English now officially translates for VIZ's One Piece. The story is intact pretty much 100%, always has been and now its done by a major fan of the series who is extremely aware of the story's rich history.

Tell me do you prefer Siliew or Shiryu? Oz or Oars?

I like Oars. Especially considering Oars is written on one of his ancestor's ships later on. Shiryu I don't really care about because I just don't like his name. Zolo will always be the most annoying to me because even though L's and R's are interchangeable, it's been romanized as Zoro.

Soriku

I like Oars. Especially considering Oars is written on one of his ancestor's ships later on. Shiryu I don't really care about because I just don't like his name. Zolo will always be the most annoying to me because even though L's and R's are interchangeable, it's been romanized as Zoro.

zorro.jpg

Acid08

Banned
So I'm up to Fishman Island in the manga now. I thought the War was actually great in the manga but some of those scenes were just that much better when they were animated. The Sabo/Ace/Luffy flashback was also paced better in the manga.

Going through the story again has cemented Franky as my favorite Straw Hat. I'd probably rank them:

Franky
Luffy
Jimbei
Zoro
Chopper
Nami
Usopp
Sanji
Robin
Brook

So I'm up to Fishman Island in the manga now. I thought the War was actually great in the manga but some of those scenes were just that much better when they were animated. The Sabo/Ace/Luffy flashback was also paced better in the manga.

Going through the story again has cemented Franky as my favorite Straw Hat. I'd probably rank them:

Franky
Luffy
Jimbei
Zoro
Chopper
Nami
Usopp
Sanji
Robin
Brook

Brook at the bottom? Sanji third from last? Usopp above anyone? You cray acid

I got around watching 4th movie of One Piece, I liked it very much. I can't wait to watch Stronghold and Film Z after I watch movie 6 & 9. I don't want to be hasty though.

zulux21

Franky
Luffy
Jimbei
Zoro
Chopper
Nami
Usopp
Sanji
Robin
Brook

in just tiers (and in no order with in the tiers)
top tier (characters I feel are responsible for the most great/interesting moments of one piece)
zoro, luffy, robin

mid tier (characters that help the plot/ hold the crew together/ have some great moments)
nami, usopp, franky

bottom tier (characters that in general I feel add very little to one piece overall and wouldn't miss them at all if they were written out of the story)
sanji (any great moment he has is cancelled out by his stupid over done joke moments), brook (he rarely does much of interest and is responable for a number of the worst jokes in the series), chopper (aside from like 5 moments in a 600 episode run, you could easily replace him with a stuffed animal of him and he would be just as useful... he was a decent character when introduced but quickly became a mascot character who rarely did anything right :/)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
in just tiers (and in no order with in the tiers)
top tier (characters I feel are responsible for the most great/interesting moments of one piece)
zoro, luffy, robin

mid tier (characters that help the plot/ hold the crew together/ have some great moments)
nami, usopp, franky

bottom tier (characters that in general I feel add very little to one piece overall and wouldn't miss them at all if they were killed off)
sanji (any great moment he has is cancelled out by his stupid over done joke moments), brook (he rarely does much of interest and is responable for a number of the worst jokes in the series), chopper (aside from like 5 moments in a 600 episode run, you could easily replace him with a stuffed animal of him and he would be just as useful... he was a decent character when introduced but quickly became a mascot character who rarely did anything right :/)

Brook's bones jokes are great! What are you talking about?

zulux21

Brook's bones jokes are great! What are you talking about?

he's had maybe 2 or 3 that I actually thought were to any degree funny, the rest I just thought to myself... god you are so pointless brook.... well actually I suppose you are full of points since you are made of bones and bones are pointy, but that is besides the point >.>;

Raxus

Chopper bottom tier? Sanji?!?!
(Granted I can see your reasoning. I just never found his jokes to be that bad)
You are dead to me. DEAD!

Cwarrior

Toei's at it again, going around taken down and shutting down youtube users who make one piece sakuga videos without any warning.

youtube user murad who makes sakuga videos quote
Wow, Toei have taken out all my videos off YT in one go & closed down my account. Oh well, I've managed to last longer this time around. XD

Yeah, Surprisingly I'm not shocked at all. I guess I'm used to it now (3rd Channel down). lol

I don't understand these japanese companies what's so bad about people advertising your products or having your staff recognized for there hard work.

Brings the back to the whole silly smash bros evo deal and region locking trailers/pv shenanigans.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
he's had maybe 2 or 3 that I actually thought were to any degree funny, the rest I just thought to myself... god you are so pointless brook.... well actually I suppose you are full of points since you are made of bones and bones are pointy, but that is besides the point >.>;

5fyHsfo.gif

zulux21

Chopper bottom tier? Sanji?!?!
(Granted I can see your reasoning. I just never found his jokes to be that bad)
You are dead to me. DEAD!

I personally feel that those three characters just bloat out the plot and with out them the story would have better pacing. That's not to say I want to see them dead, but I wouldn't mind if they were gone... it's not like their core jokes have really evolved all that much, and after so long they just don't do anything for me.

Personally I would like to see chopper replaced with someone more like stein from soul eater. A doctor that is actually brilliant, but just has a few things off with him and at times can be very evil. Choppers role of a doctor has importance, but the character itself adds pretty much nothing but merchandise sales at this point.

As for Brook, I don't hate him, but he doesn't really add anything but filler in general.

Sanji... if you removed his female gag stuff I would actually really enjoy his character (but it's a main theme in non serious stuff, and in the serious stuff he most of the time gets pitted up against a female and has some of the most pathetic fights in the series.... about the only sanji fight I can recall enjoying to any degree was his fight with bon clay), but that stuff is so grating at this point that any time something like that comes up I hope his nose bleed is strong enough to write him off the show anymore :/

Top Bottom