• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

I personally feel that those three characters just bloat out the plot and with out them the story would have better pacing. That's not to say I want to see them dead, but I wouldn't mind if they were gone... it's not like their core jokes have really evolved all that much, and after so long they just don't do anything for me.

Personally I would like to see chopper replaced with someone more like stein from soul eater. A doctor that is actually brilliant, but just has a few things off with him and at times can be very evil. Choppers role of a doctor has importance, but the character itself adds pretty much nothing but merchandise sales at this point.

As for Brook, I don't hate him, but he doesn't really add anything but filler in general.

Sanji... if you removed his female gag stuff I would actually really enjoy his character (but it's a main theme in non serious stuff, and in the serious stuff he most of the time gets pitted up against a female and has some of the most pathetic fights in the series.... about the only sanji fight I can recall enjoying to any degree was his fight with bon clay), but that stuff is so grating at this point that any time something like that comes up I hope his nose bleed is strong enough to write him off the show anymore :/

5fyHsfo.gif

Zolo doesn't really bother me since my mind somehow subconsciously changes it to Zoro anyway, but I still can't get over Teach is now "Teech". Jesus, who thought that was a great idea?

That said, I actually prefer "Shiryu" to Shiliew, but w/e.

Like RomanceDawn said, you can't really go wrong with the volumes now that Stephen's at the helm. It still has it's rough spots, but I'll take over stuff like their Reborn localization anyday.

Guys dwarves are too similar to JRR Tolkien's LotR so we can't use that term

Wait wait wait, hold the phone! Is that's actually going on in the SJA chapters now?!?

Man, if there's anything I dislike about the Viz translation. it's inconsistency with terms and whatnot. I distinctly recall them using the term "dwarves" in the series before.

Acid08

Banned
Going to use that Top Gear gif as much as possible now. Glorious.

Also Sanji has a lot going for him outside of the ladies stuff. He's the third strongest fighter, has amazing interactions with Zoro, and like it or not is a key member of the group. It's really just the omg ladeez joke that sucks about him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait wait wait, hold the phone! Is that's actually going on in the SJA chapters now?!?

Man, if there's anything I dislike about the Viz translation. it's inconsistency with terms and whatnot. I distinctly recall the Noland flashback using the term "dwarves".

Yes, and the Slave Auction list.

The citizens of Tontatta Kingdom are called "little people" not "dwarves".
I called translator Stephen Paul on this (with a kind-of jokey accusation they were being too PC) and he said they didn't call them dwarves because of Tolkien.
Basically, Viz thinks people are morons.

Speaking of Viz's inconsistencies. Law's "Shambles" attack was changed to "Chambres" (despite being called Shambles previously). Why? Stephen said "to fit in with the theme of his Room attack". Even though none of his other attacks have that. God damn it Viz...

The citizens of Tontatta Kingdom are called "little people" not "dwarves".

That is going to be tough to adjust to, to say the least.

I also still can't get over how they stuck with the "Kami" translation throughout the Skypiea arc, yet let God slip by in Thriller Bark and went back and forth between the two in the "Decks of the World" cover series.. Although personally I just find that a funny observation, Teech can just go die in a fire.

Speaking of Viz's inconsistencies. Law's "Shambles" attack was changed to "Chambres" (despite being called Shambles previously). Why? Stephen said "to fit in with the theme of his Room attack". Even though none of his other attacks have that. God damn it Viz...

I noticed that too when reading Vol. 67. Ugh...

Well, all that nonsense aside, it's still a good translation.

Got my volume 68 in the mail today! I read the first three chapters and noticed that Law uses "Shambles" to switch Chopper and Franky back. Hmm...

The options are learn Japanese or suffer with Viz bizarre translation choices

Or you could learn German/French. If English is your native language, learning German is probably hell of a lot easier than learning Japanese. Plus, I think most of the colour books (Green, Blue etc) and Colour Walks have been translated to German. Learning Japanese is of course the best option, but also the hardest one.

BatDan

Got my volume 68 in the mail today! I read the first three chapters and noticed that Law uses "Shambles" to switch Chopper and Franky back. Hmm...

Really now? Sounds like quite a few people complained about that and they changed it back. "Shambles" really does make more sense considering it leaves the "room" in "shambles".

About Brook...all his Soul King songs are godawful. His fans must have broken ears.

Pretty sure he can hypnotize people with his music. During the Fishman Island Battle Royale, he hypnotized a bunch of pirates into firing their cannons into the air, before slashing them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i thought we agreed Steve Blum would play Law?

Oh my god, you're right. This would be absolutely perfect...I am so sorry I didn't realize this earlier...

Who does that leave for Brook then? I'd say J. Michael Tatum (he could use a similar voice to when he did Issac in Baccano!), but he played Enel already.

Oh my god, you're right. This would be absolutely perfect...I am so sorry I didn't realize this earlier...

Who does that leave for Brook then? I'd say J. Michael Tatum (he could use a similar voice to when he did Issac in Baccano!), but he played Enel already.

It has to be someone who can sing and sing really well. How many male dub actors are famous for their singing ability?

789shadow

Banned

I don't know why that would stop him. Also, Patrick Seitz is Franky, and he played one of Arlong's henchmen.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It has to be someone who can sing and sing really well. How many male dub actors are famous for their singing ability?

I don't think a guy has ever had to do a singing part in an anime. Other than a K-On! dub and that one episode of Haruhi I can't think of a time that skill was needed.

I don't know why that would stop him. Also, Patrick Seitz is Franky, and he played one of Arlong's henchmen.

Then it's just a matter of can he sing because I think he'd be able to do the part justice.

Moaradin

Vic Mignogna. He already sings a few of the One Piece openings (We Are and the 3rd one, forgot the name) and he doesn't have a major role in One Piece yet to my knowledge.

I don't know how Brook sounds in Japanese though, so I have no clue how fitting Vic would be for his voice.

I don't think Vic would be a good fit at all. Guy is always playing younger characters, and as childish and crazy as Brook is, he still projects an air of maturity. But that's just my opinion.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think Vic would be a good fit at all. Guy is always playing younger characters, and as childish and crazy as Brook is, he still projects an air of maturity. But that's just my opinion.

I agree, besides I don't think he can be wacky enough for Brook either.

BatDan

Not in the right way though. It's hard to explain it, but you get what I mean right?

Brook and Spirit aren't really the same character.

Brook is perverted, but the joke is that he speaks like a gentlemen while asking to see a woman's panties. Apparently, this makes more sense in Japanese considering they have levels of politeness in their speech.

Spirit is also a pervert, but his perversion is different. He hangs out at bars and strip clubs with busty women all day, but openly pines at a "close" relationship with his daughter. Too close if you ask me.

I don't know who they'll get. Maybe Jerry Jewell.

I didn't get to Brook yet but if he's supposed to be really old, then I guess I can understand. Vic usually does play younger characters.

Well... he is old. See, when he died the first time, he was 38 years old. The Revive Revive Fruit brought him back and he spent 50 years at sea. So by the point the Straw Hats meet him, he's 88 years old. But considering he's a skeleton, he didn't really age.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Brook and Spirit aren't really the same character.

Brook is perverted, but the joke is that he speaks like a gentlemen while asking to see a woman's panties. Apparently, this makes more sense in Japanese considering they have levels of politeness in their speech.

Spirit is also a pervert, but his perversion is different. He hangs out at bars and strip clubs with busty women all day, but openly pines at a "close" relationship with his daughter. Too close if you ask me.

I don't know who they'll get. Maybe Jerry Jewell.

This I could definitely see happening. Plus he was in Beck so odds are he can sing as well.

zulux21

Vic can't be Brook because he has to be Moria.

He can sing and play the guitar!

I can't think of any examples of him voicing an old character, though his normal voice is oldish itself. But his Kaku voice (from the Unlimited Adventure game) could fit nicely.

best example of jerry i can think of being both a gentleman type and goofy in the same go is this

I don't know if I really feel brook from that though.

I'm personally thinking it might go to someone like Robert Bruce Elliott. He has a lot of experience with longer running series, has played old men, as well as men in their 30s-40s, and has played some goofier characters. The only potential problem I could see is he has already done the role of Edward Newgate, but that might be a minor enough role that he could also do brook.

In general I don't figure the singing part is that important. Most voice actors can at least carry a tune even if they can't sing well, and brook to me doesn't sound like someone who sings well just someone who can carry a tune... so yeah...

most of the other main funimation people I can think of are already doing a main role lol (I'm figuring it has to be one of their more popular VA as they have a contest to guess it.... watch... it will be the voice actor of Goku :p)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
they either changed it to spanish, or just had it in proper english in general... I can't remember which.

anyways i finally got around to taking pictures of my little one piece mugs... anyone know what set these are from?

Cool! Interesting that only Sanji, Usopp, Luffy, Nami, Zoro and Chopper got the right birthday months. Guess they started with the 1st six and shoved the rest wherever they could (though Robin could have be fitted into Feb. quite easily).

Who's January? Jimbei or Ace?

Top Bottom