• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

zulux21

Who's January? Jimbei or Ace?

I haven't a clue... while I have 15 of the little mugs from my thrift store, 4 are duplicates.... thus why I am trying to figure out what the set is so I can find out who january is lol.

leading candidates in my mind are
1. Going Merry
2. Thousand Sunny
3. Ace
4. Jimbei
5. Smoker
6. Gol D. Roger

but until I find out where the set is from I can't be sure :(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
best example of jerry i can think of being both a gentleman type and goofy in the same go is this

I don't know if I really feel brook from that though.

I'm personally thinking it might go to someone like Robert Bruce Elliott. He has a lot of experience with longer running series, has played old men, as well as men in their 30s-40s, and has played some goofier characters. The only potential problem I could see is he has already done the role of Edward Newgate, but that might be a minor enough role that he could also do brook.

In general I don't figure the singing part is that important. Most voice actors can at least carry a tune even if they can't sing well, and brook to me doesn't sound like someone who sings well just someone who can carry a tune... so yeah...

most of the other main funimation people I can think of are already doing a main role lol (I'm figuring it has to be one of their more popular VA as they have a contest to guess it.... watch... it will be the voice actor of Goku :p)
Yeah, that voice wouldn't work well for Brook.

I think singing is an important factor. Brook sings several songs in the anime and there is always the possibility that the anime will one day have him sing more complex stuff. Its best to be prepared for that eventuality. Plus its not like Funimation is lacking in singing voice actors. We still have the rest of the BECK cast to predict lol (Justin Cook?)

And Sean Schemmel will eventually get a bigger One Piece role one day. And it'll be hilarious, especially with all roles he did in the 4Kids dub. But it'll probably be a character that fits his King Kai voice when it does happen.

But yeah, it's probably a bigger name. With a role that reoccurs as often as Brook, Funimation will want to give it to an actor who's main career is voice acting, not someone who is part time and can retire at any moment.

zulux21

I think singing is an important factor. Brook sings several songs in the anime and there is always the possibility that the anime will one day have him sing more complex stuff. Its best to be prepared for that eventuality. Plus its not like Funimation is lacking in singing voice actors. We still have the rest of the BECK cast to predict lol (Justin Cook?)

Brook "sings" plenty of songs in the anime, but I sure as heck don't have them in my playlists because the voice actor's singing voice isn't impressive (to me), though for the type of character brook is that is fine. The actor doesn't have to be a great singer, just someone who can carry a tune. Brook at heart is just someone who inspires people with music and tries to have fun, not someone who is an awesome singer (though I think voice actor aside, he is supposed to be to some degree given soul king :p). Personally I think the actor's YO HO HO HO and ability to flip from gentleman to punny joker on a dime is far more important than any singing ability (that can be cleaned up in the sound booth, or if the actor is that bad they can have two different actors, one for singing and one for the other stuff) as brook spends a ton more time with that then singing.

But it'll probably be a character that fits his King Kai voice when it does happen.

Ugh, please no.

I don't really know who could be Brook. People often point to Jerry or Vic but idk if they could pull off the older nature of the character.

regardless I entered Mignogna for the OP Facebook contest

Really now? Sounds like quite a few people complained about that and they changed it back. "Shambles" really does make more sense considering it leaves the "room" in "shambles".

Funny enough, near the end of the volume, Brownbeard refers to Nami (in Sanji's body) and Usopp as being "dwarfs" to him. Forgot what the exact line and page it was, but the term did come up, lol.
So much for being "little people" to him.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is absolutely perfect casting. His Brook laugh is amazing and he sounds just like I imagined Brook would sound like in English. So fucking good.

Funi does not disappoint with its casting choices. He's absolutely perfect. The laugh, the childishness and pervertedness with an air maturity to them. He's got the role down. Can't wait to see more.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ian Sinclair huh? Neat.
He does a pretty damn good job, especially the laugh.

According to the cast listing, they got Scott McNeil to play Shiki and Sean Schemmel to play Doctor Indigo. I thought the latter retired outside of Goku.
Awesome that they got McNeil.

grandjedi6

I should probably post this here too:

One Piece Film: Strong World introduces some other new characters. So, we'd like to take this time to announce the English cast for the movie!

LUFFY - Colleen Clinkebeard
NAMI - Luci Christian
SANJI - Eric Vale
USOPP - Sonny Strait
ZORO - Christopher R. Sabat
CHOPPER - Brina Palencia
ROBIN - Stephanie Young
FRANKY - Patrick Seitz
BROOK - Ian Sinclair
SHIKI - Scott McNeil
DOCTOR INDIGO - Sean Schemmel
XIAO - Lindsay Seidel
SCARLET - Bryan Massey
MADAM - Jessica Cavanagh
GARP - Brian Mathis
SENGOKU - Ed Blaylock
BILLY - Josh Grelle

ADR Director - Mike McFarland
ADR Engineer - Stephen Hoff

Hey look, its Sean Schemmel in One Piece finally. Playing a character that would fit his King Kai voice, just like I said :p

they either changed it to spanish, or just had it in proper english in general... I can't remember which.

anyways i finally got around to taking pictures of my little one piece mugs... anyone know what set these are from?

Part of the Panson One Piece merchandising campaign, they also made gashapon, Ban Presto figures, etc.

Can't find much about the artist, but he does that art style with all kinds of Anime and Tokusatsu characters.

grandjedi6

Ian Sinclair huh? Neat.

According to the cast listing, they got Scott McNeil to play Shiki and Sean Schemmel to play Doctor Indigo. I thought the latter retired outside of Goku.

If Schemmel retired, he's been doing a pretty shitty job of it. He's been in several non-DBZ roles.

McNeil is far more shocking since he seemed to have legitimately retired from voice acting. Guess he's still willing to do one off movie roles.

I'd say it would be nice if he reprises the role in Episode 0, but.... we're never getting that :/

Maron

Ian Sinclair huh? Neat.

He never retired, he just left FUNimation since he hasn't lived anywhere near the area for years. You could even hear him doing Western animation roles lately, like in Nickelodeon's Kappa Mikey a few years back.

He's only doing stuff for FUNi when it comes to Dragon Ball, but for this movie he's given an opportunity since it's just a one-off character.

Funny, in Japan Dr. Indigo is voiced by Freeza, and in America Dr. Indigo is voiced by Goku!

I should probably post this here too:

Hey look, its Sean Schemmel in One Piece finally. Playing a character that would fit his King Kai voice, just like I said :p

I love the sneaky way you go about saying his King Kai voice doesn't fit King Kai. :p

Love what I've heard of Ian as Brook, was a total surprise to me to see he's got the role but I'm happy for the dude. I think I'll actually re-watch SW sometime to see what scenes I have to look forward to.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
A perfect choice for Brook! That laugh was SPOT ON.

The only dub voice that still doesn't work for me is Franky. His Japanese VA is so iconic yet the dub makes him sound like a background character.

789shadow

Banned
A perfect choice for Brook! That laugh was SPOT ON.

The only dub voice that still doesn't work for me is Franky. His Japanese VA is so iconic yet the dub makes him sound like a background character.
There is no possible English voice that can come close to Japanese Franky. His English voice is pretty much the best it could be.

I really like the English Franky. Sure the Japanese Franky will always be what I think of him but they did really good.

Now if only Luffy didn't have his scratchy voice I could handle watching more of the dub because I really like everyone else.

Cwarrior

iKMlg0hYbRSKu.gif

smoker gives zero fucks.

Korosenai

Honestly, the dub voice I can't stand the most is Luffy's. All the others are fine, and I actually prefer Robins dub voice over her sub voice.

BatDan

You cray everyone sounds great in English, and lets be honest Franky's Japanese voice wouldn't translate at all into English.

Exactly. Kazuki Yao's voice would sound terrible in English. It would make the tough Franky sound really whiny.
And yes, everyone sounds great. Funimation has done a damn fine job on the series.

I just want to say that the guy who does the voice of Lemongrab should absolutely voice Caesar Clown.

I don't know... Caesar's insanity has purpose and direction. He knows what he wants and will do anything to get it. Lemongrab is just an asshole.

In other One Piece news: Here's the Funimation trailer for Strong World. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzYGKtzZYfE
With Scott McNeil as Shiki, and more Brook.

BatDan

Nah you cray. That dub is fucking balls. Shame on everyone who prefers it.

There are people in the Toonami thread that have never seen One Piece before, and started on the dub. They love it.
Some people prefer dubs over subtitles, and that's up to them. One Piece has a very well done dub.

I just finished the Alabasta Saga, Ep 130. So I guess
no one ever dies in this show, haha. Igaram, Pell, Mr. 3, Goza, upon others all return somehow after beyond fatal wounds/explosions. Kind of takes some of the tension out feeling like everyone can survive anything, and all of these deep, bone-breaking injuries seemingly just disappear.
Still, it was a fun ride. I think there's some filler ahead which I might skip (should I?), but how does the next arc compare to Alabasta?

I just finished the Alabasta Saga, Ep 130. So I guess
no one ever dies in this show, haha. Igaram, Pell, Mr. 3, Goza, upon others all return somehow after beyond fatal wounds/explosions. Kind of takes some of the tension out feeling like everyone can survive anything, and all of these deep, bone-breaking injuries seemingly just disappear.
Still, it was a fun ride. I think there's some filler ahead which I might skip (should I?), but how does the next arc compare to Alabasta?

Well yeah, we just talked about your spoiler in this very thread some pages ago. The next arc is a short one; the Theif's Town or whatever they decided to call it in English. It's pretty great. Luffy acts like a true pirate king for the first time and you also meet one of the series absolute biggest villains. The comes Skypedia which is okay. No sure if there's any filler here because I mostly just read the manga.

Top Bottom