• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Moaradin

It's your loss.

The English voices are the voices I'm used to. When I hear the Japanese voices, they don't fit the characters to me.

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with preferring the English voices. All the voice actors do a great job and sound like they are having a blast doing it.

The English voices are the voices I'm used to. When I hear the Japanese voices, they don't fit the characters to me.

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with preferring the English voices. All the voice actors do a great job and sound like they are having a blast doing it.

Of course there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that A) the Japanese voices are definitely better and B) you're so far behind. But yeah, it's your loss and it's of course totally up to you if you prefer to watch the English dub. You'd get into the Japanese voices quickly though, so don't worry about the voices not fitting the characters. Won't be more than ten episodes until you change your mind.

Moaradin

Of course there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that A) the Japanese voices are definitely better

B) you're so far behind.

1. That's subjective. I don't think the Japanese voices are better. I think both performances are good, but I prefer the English voices.

2. Does that really matter though? In the end, we are all in this for the long haul. How many years until One Piece is actually finished? Being a couple years behind on the English version doesn't really matter much.

demidar

Of course there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that A) the Japanese voices are definitely better and B) you're so far behind. But yeah, it's your loss and it's of course totally up to you if you prefer to watch the English dub. You'd get into the Japanese voices quickly though, so don't worry about the voices not fitting the characters. Won't be more than ten episodes until you change your mind.

I wouldn't claim that the Japanese voices are definitively better, it's just something your more used to. Hell, I liked the 4Kids voices one time because it's what I was used to. I still wouldn't mind them if they caught up.

Though I don't watch the anime anymore, not because of the voices but because of the terrible pacing.

GAF has played the PSP version, and GAF hated it. I saw some gameplay on Youtube and it looks pretty bad. The trailer is pretty great, though perhaps that's because there's so little gameplay in it.

Well either way still going to buy it to support more us released op games especially in this era where everything is region locked

Jaroof

Best pretty much everything and most importantly, those laughs.

Seriously. I watched English OP with my friend, and saw Crocodile.. He sounded alright until he started laughing.. You poor souls. The laugh just isn't the same.
It's like you're not getting the "true" Crocodile if you watch the English version.
Also, I hate Luffy's scratchy voice.

If by "this era" you mean Nintendo platforms then yeah. Sony and Microsoft are 100% region free next-gen unless some policies have changed again.

Yes I know, and the 3DS is getting a lot of One Piece games that up to this point have never gotten released in the US but have been released in Europe.

Acid08

Banned
I'll buy Romance Dawn, will be my first OP game. I doubt it's thaaaaat bad. I used to import terrible Rave Master GBA games from Japan and somehow managed to have fun with those.

Well, the first one did, but it's not a 3DS game. And even if it was, "a lot" is one hell of an exaggeration when it's only two games.

Going from the wiki, OP games release in EU and not in the US

One Piece Grand Battle for the Playstation
One Piece Unlimited Cruise 1 & 2 for the Wii
One Piece Unlimited Cruise Sp 1 & 2 for 3DS
One Piece Gigant Battle for DS

Of course Unlimited Cruise 1 & 2 = SP 1&2 so it's really 3 games. Felt like a lot more but I guess it was the that Unlimited Cruise was separated into two games made it seem like more then it was.

Wii isn't region free either unless you mod the system. Don't think the original playstation was either

What are you talking about, Bass? Your comment was:

Yes I know, and the 3DS is getting a lot of One Piece games that up to this point have never gotten released in the US but have been released in Europe.

Why are you talking about the Wii and Playstation all of a sudden?

I'm confused. I don't think you even know what you're saying.

What are you talking about, Bass? Your comment was:

Why are you talking about the Wii and Playstation all of a sudden?

I'm confused. I don't think you even know what you're saying.

I thought there were more on the 3ds and I was wrong. For my own sake I decided to look up all the games that were released in eu and not in the us. I was under the impression eu had gotten most of the op games released in that last 5 years and that most over the past two years have been on 3ds. Turns out op games have been more or less everywhere and Europe has gotten more then the us but not as many as I thought.

Seriously. I watched English OP with my friend, and saw Crocodile.. He sounded alright until he started laughing.. You poor souls. The laugh just isn't the same.
It's like you're not getting the "true" Crocodile if you watch the English version.
Also, I hate Luffy's scratchy voice.

Ohh, forgot about the laughs. Yeah, those are my only problems with English. The laughs and Luffy's voice. Wish Funimation came up with a new idea for Luffy instead of sticking with a scratchy voice like 4Kids had.

Raxus

Ohh, forgot about the laughs. Yeah, those are my only problems with English. The laughs and Luffy's voice. Wish Funimation came up with a new idea for Luffy instead of sticking with a scratchy voice like 4Kids had.

They couldn't, Toei contract specifically said that Luffy had to be played like a woman. Toei's contracts are stupid as hell.

604 - 612

Decided to give it another go. It had its moments like when Luffy v Monet, and Luffy v Caesar, but otherwise some stuff felt too long (they really needed ten minutes to fight a green dragon? Luffy in the hole for three episodes now?!)...Kind of ready for this arc to end.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
They couldn't, Toei contract specifically said that Luffy had to be played like a woman. Toei's contracts are stupid as hell.

I remember reading that Funimation wanted Eric Vale to do the voice of Luffy, but Toei told them "No men! It needs to be a woman!" It's really stupid.
In fact, I think the same happened with 4Kids. As awful as that was, I think they also wanted a man to play Luffy, but Toei shot that down as well.

Soriku

Good job waiting till the last second before Tashigi's arm is chewed off to interfere, Zoro, lol.

Is Zoro just sexist or what? What was that about taking the New World seriously? Come on son.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Good job waiting till the last second before Tashigi's arm is chewed off to interfere, Zoro, lol.

Is Zoro just sexist or what? What was that about taking the New World seriously? Come on son.

He was letting her fight. And/or wanted the coolest entrance possible lol.

Zoro ain't sexist. He just has that whole Japanese samurai code of honor. Tends to get him in trouble more often than not.

789shadow

Banned
tumblr_mszl57AOVY1sh1nmzo1_1280.png

haha, that is so Zoro. it sums up why I love him. My favourite Zoro moment is his training in the cold on Drum island and whenever he is asked to guard the ship and falls asleep. Such a great clown.

Actually Zoro is pretty intelligent in a lot of scenes, by One Piece standards anyway. It's just that he has no sense of direction whatsoever. And him falling asleep on guard doesn't matter as he always keeps his guard. Notice that when someone enters the ship while he's asleep he always wakes up.

Actually Zoro is pretty intelligent in a lot of scenes, by One Piece standards anyway. It's just that he has no sense of direction whatsoever. And him falling asleep on guard doesn't matter as he always keeps his guard. Notice that when someone enters the ship while he's asleep he always wakes up.

I know he is intelligent when it matters, but his comic relief comes from his foolishness at times. After all he did eat Sanji's food that had razor blades in it.

I do love it when he does wake up, supremely confident in his own abilities to wipe everyone out.

I know he is intelligent when it matters, but his comic relief comes from his foolishness at times. After all he did eat Sanji's food that had razor blades in it.

I do love it when he does wake up, supremely confident in his own abilities to wipe everyone out.

Oh sure. But just about every character in One Piece has that comic relief and foolishness. Or as Oda said in SBS: they're all stupid :p

Oh sure. But just about every character in One Piece has that comic relief and foolishness. Or as Oda said in SBS: they're all stupid :p

lol, true although it seems except the girls. Nami always has her wits about it and her comic relief only comes from her loss of treasure. Nico is just always perfect. She has never really shown much of a flaw, except with her annoyance with the rest of the crew's stupidity.

lol, true although it seems except the girls. Nami always has her wits about it and her comic relief only comes from her loss of treasure. Nico is just always perfect. She has never really shown much of a flaw, except with her annoyance with the rest of the crew's stupidity.

Well, Nami keep hitting Luffy and Usopp and do other various minor typical-goofy-manga things, and while Nico Robin is perhaps the most serious character in the entire universe, even she does some silly things, like grabbing Franky's testicles for instance. And I don't think she's usually annoyed by the crew's stupidity to be honest. She always just seem to be smiling since Enies Lobby.

Well, Nami keep hitting Luffy and Usopp and do other various minor typical-goofy-manga things, and while Nico Robin is perhaps the most serious character in the entire universe, even she does some silly things, like grabbing Franky's testicles for instance. And I don't think she's usually annoyed by the crew's stupidity to be honest. She always just seem to be smiling since Enies Lobby.

There have been a few times when Nico has shouted at Luffy. The last one I remembered was in volume 67, but i cant seem to find it in my apartment.
seeing as a Zoro stands guard on my One Piece mangas I am very disappointed with his shoddy guard work right now
She is definitely always having fun and smiling, but she tries to bring seriousness to Luffy's actions at times.

jbug617

Banned
Quick question for you guys. Are there only 2 One Piece Movies to be officially released in the US? I only know of Alabasta movie and Strong World (November).

Raxus

Quick question for you guys. Are there only 2 One Piece Movies to be officially released in the US? I only know of Alabasta movie and Strong World (November).

Sadly yes. One of the worst movies as well.

Also I am really upset one of One Piece's best openings isn't being aired stateside. I am sick of We Go! and Hands Up! is so good.

Top Bottom