• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sadly yes. One of the worst movies as well.

Also I am really upset one of One Piece's best openings isn't being aired stateside. I am sick of We Go! and Hands Up! is so good.

Is Funimation still unable to get that? This is annoying. They better get it by the time they dub the episodes in about... 5 years or so.

Korosenai

One Piece Season Five Voyage Four box art

51yc0HJQ%2B4L.jpg

Looks like this set will cover Luffy vs. Lucci and the
end of Going Merry
... Seems to be a must have voyage.

edit: Also, I don't know if it's been posted yet or not, but here is Robin's I Want to Live dub speech.... wow, that was really good.

I still think that cover is okay. If I hadn't seen the episodes yet I'd just assume it was the end of the arc and the Going Merry is getting a little more recognition. I mean, we see the ship fall and break. Seeing a picture of it on fire isn't going to make me think it's making a return at the end of Enies Lobby.

One Piece - Episode of Nami

I started watching this because I was bored, and I have to say that I was glad I was bored. It was a really nice special, and really summed up the Arlong Arc in a nutshell. It took all the comedy parts of the arc out like when Luffy put Arlong's teeth in his mouth or Usopp being chased by Choo for a very long time (they shortened this part up a ton which I'm glad because it lasted like 2-3 episodes). I kinda liked that to be honest, it really made it more dramatic and powerful.

Animation was really good, and holy moly at that Sanji kicking part. They really outdid themselves on Sanji and Zoro's final attacks on their fights! Luffy's looked cool too, actually his was the best.

Sometimes I always forget just how bad Nami's past is, but seeing this really reminded me of that.

One Piece Nami Fan-Service Special (Glorious Islands)

I heard this was a special 15min special pre-quel of Film Z so I gave it a watch.

First off this isn't really called Nami Fan-Service Special, but that's really all it is. It's just 5mins of looking at Nami in a swimsuit, 5min of watching Franky, Luffy, Zoro, Brooke, and Chopper imagining food, and 5min of Usopp, Sanji, and Robin discussing Usopp's new invention. Nothing great but it was still a nice little Strawhats antics special on their ship.

PersonaX

Are we allowed to talk about the movies here?

Why did they have to make the strawhat crew so weak in their first confrontation with Z in the One Piece Z film? just to prove how strong the Z guy and his crew was? surely they have handled guys way worse than the plant dude before, why didn't Franky just use his fire breath to burn the damn plant away and come on, he's a huge cyborg, and surely Brook could have just sliced the vines to pieces in a heart beat, never mind Luffy fighting like he was still in season 1, without his 2nd gear and all his special moves, it's kinda dumb how they make them look like total rookies every now and then in the series, despite all they've learned and experienced.

and what a journey, i caught up with the anime yesterday and it hasn't been many weeks since i started watching this thing, too bad i have to wait for a new episode like everybody else now instead of marathoning multiple episodes a day.

Got this package today! Got the most recent books as well as One Piece Blue, Green and Yellow. All three of these books are holographic. That's kind of cool I suppose although it also makes them more fragile. I also successfully managed to put Green backside-up in this photo. It has such a natural backside.

My collection (excluding the big Colour Walk 2 which I have to put somewhere else). So 67 and 68 are the first books that I had to import from the UK, and they are actually a little bit larger than my old books so I can't fit them next to 66. This is a temporary solution I suppose. I'll have to re-organize the collection :p

Nice collection!

Where are Blue, Green, and Yellow available for a reasonable price?

Thanks!

I bought them from Amazon UK. They're all less than £10 each with free shipping to Sweden and a bunch of other countries in Europe. Do note that they're not available in English as far as I know. I bought them in German, because the German vocabulary is not too different from Swedish and English, especially not compared to French and Japanese. Although of course having them in English would be much better.

No idea where to get them in the US though.

Articalys

FUNimation Teams Up with the One Piece Podcast to Bring “OPP Goes to Japan” to the Masses!
One Piece fans are in for a treat. You may remember, our good pals at the One Piece Podcast met their Kickstarter goal back in May – funding a trip to Japan to film a One Piece documentary like none other. While there, hosts Zach and Greg toured the country, interviewed some of the biggest names in the One Piece franchise, got exclusive access to One Piece and Shonen Jump events, and talked to fans from around Japan! Well the trip is over and it’s time to get to share the experience! We’re happy to announce that we’ll be working with the One Piece Podcast team to help share the “OPP Goes to Japan” documentary with as many fans as possible.
What can you expect to see? We’ll be hosting exclusive clips and segments featuring various tours and interviews that can be found throughout the documentary:
· Exclusive Interview: Shigefumi Shingaki (Animation Director for One Piece)
· Exclusive Interview: Takeru Isaka (Manga Editor for One Piece)
· Mugiwara (Straw Hat) Store: The world’s largest One Piece themed store in the Shibuya district.
· Bandai Namco’s “J-World” Theme Park: The Shonen Jump theme park featuring One Piece themed rides, games, and food.
· The One Piece Planetarium: An event that features new animation, starring and narrated by the Straw Hat Pirates.
· The United States of Odaiba: Located at Fuji Television Headquarters, and filmed at the United States of Odaiba, this stop featured a One Piece show, tons of merchandise, and a special Punk Hazard exhibit.
· The One Piece Grand Arena Tour: This One Piece event travels around the country each year and features recreations of famous scenes.
· Universal Studios Japan: Featuring an entire Marine village dedicated to One Piece! Throughout the day, professional actors perform interactive shows. The podcast also takes a rare look at the Punk Hazard-inspired One Piece Premiere Show featuring live-action characters playing out an original plot with the Straw Hats and many other familiar characters from the series, all voiced by the original voice actors.

Would have been nice for him to show his appreciation for his international fans.

I guess he is just worried about his privacy and being mobbed in Japan

Acid08

Banned
Finished Fishman Island in the manga. Well, at least it didn't take me as long to get through as the anime stuff. But really there's still some stuff to like there. It's a decent arc. Now into Punk Hazard and new stuff :)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Finished Fishman Island in the manga. Well, at least it didn't take me as long to get through as the anime stuff. But really there's still some stuff to like there. It's a decent arc. Now into Punk Hazard and new stuff :)

Fishman Island is definitely a lot better when you marathon it. Well, only in the manga. The anime is a chore to get through thanks to the 1:1 pacing.

upandaway

Well dang. I was not ready for this episode. Same thing happened in the manga. Art was all over the place (weird since they usually nail the art in important scenes) but who cares.

Mocha's reaction trying to justify why they ate the candies was what got me. She needed to be told it ain't her fault, it's just crazy man. That's not right.

Soriku

Good ep. Caesar is such a scumbag. Nice punch at the end.

Also who wants a Zoan type fruit anyway. Paramecia and Logia fruit are way cooler.

Also who wants a Zoan type fruit anyway. Paramecia and Logia fruit are way cooler.

Marco has a really cool zoan type fruit. All flying zoan types in general seem really cool. I wanna be able to fly! Also, zoan fruit users heal faster than others.

Logia is definitely the best though.

Soriku

Marco has a really cool zoan type fruit. All flying zoan types in general seem really cool. I wanna be able to fly! Also, zoan fruit users heal faster than others.

Logia is definitely the best though.

I forgot about him. He ate a mythical Zoan fruit, same with Sengoku. Their powers seem to borrow aspects from Paramecia/Logia fruit though which makes them cooler. Sengoku's even has him turn into a big golden Buddha.

I guess the ones I find lame are the ones like shown in the episode with people turning into apes and bulls or whatever. Meh.

demidar

Mythical Zoan types are awesome, but they are a rare breed in an already rare powerset (Devil Fruits).

Is Drake X's Zoan mythical? I am unsure if a T-rex constitutes being mythical.

Got this package today! Got the most recent books as well as One Piece Blue, Green and Yellow. All three of these books are holographic. That's kind of cool I suppose although it also makes them more fragile. I also successfully managed to put Green backside-up in this photo. It has such a natural backside.

My collection (excluding the big Colour Walk 2 which I have to put somewhere else). So 67 and 68 are the first books that I had to import from the UK, and they are actually a little bit larger than my old books so I can't fit them next to 66. This is a temporary solution I suppose. I'll have to re-organize the collection :p

Wow. Nice collection.

Edit: Anyways I just watched One Piece Strong World, and it was/is awesome.

Soriku

Mythical Zoan types are awesome, but they are a rare breed in an already rare powerset (Devil Fruits).

The OP Wiki says the only (canon) ones are Marco's and Sengoku's.

either way thats going to be a crazy arc of the strawhats versus an army of zoan users...

True, but I wonder how many Luffy can just put down instantly with Conqueror's Haki.

Banzai

Didnt they categorize Drake Xs fruit as "ancient Zoan" or something? i always thought of zoan as having three types (normal, ancient and mythical) and i dont know where else i could have gotten that from.

Nope -- Dinosaurs excited once, therefore they're not myths. Then again what exists or not in One Piece is nothing we can be sure of.

Anyway, his Zoan is an ancient Zoan.

Wow. Nice collection. Anyways I just watched One Piece Strong World, and it was awesome.

Thanks! And yes, Strong World is awesome :>

Didnt they categorize Drake Xs fruit as "ancient Zoan" or something? i always thought of zoan as having three types (normal, ancient and mythical) and i dont know where else i could have gotten that from.

There are:
- Carnivorous Zoan
- Ancient Zoan
- Mythical Zoan
- Artificial Zoan

I know way too much about One Piece, haha.

There are:
- Carnivorous Zoan
- Ancient Zoan
- Mythical Zoan
- Artificial Zoan

+ normal/non-carnivorous Zoan of course :)

I think an army of Zoan users could work well. They don't all have to be element forces like Logias. At the moment we have basically tons of henchmen that are just... there. Sure, relatively and in masses can be pretty strong, but imagine an army of Lucci-level Zoans...

Haven't read the Manga, but I'm curious about the artificial fruits. How they work when you usually have a transfer of the ability from 1 fruit to user to 1 fruit if the user dies. In the scene of the Zoan army there were quite a few people with the same form which normally can't happen.

demidar

+ normal/non-carnivorous Zoan of course :)

I think an army of Zoan users could work well. They don't all have to be element forces like Logias. At the moment we have basically tons of henchmen that are just... there. Sure, relatively and in masses can be pretty strong, but imagine an army of Lucci-level Zoans...

Haven't read the Manga, but I'm curious about the artificial fruits. How they work when you usually have a transfer of the ability from 1 fruit to user to 1 fruit if the user dies. In the scene of the Zoan army there were quite a few people with the same form which normally can't happen.

The thing I fear from an army of Zoan users is power creep. One Piece does a pretty good job of curbing that, an Admiral would probably be able to stomp the entirety of the Straw Hat crew in a no-escape fight. There should be a fight soon that doesn't end one-sided soon to allay my fears.

Jigolo

I'm conflicted on where Crocodile goes in the power chart :/

I know Luffy beat him way back when but Croc is still very powerful and they showed that well in the Marineford arc. Now I know we haven't seen him in the New World yet so maybe he also got stronger during those 2 years, but who knows.

help guise

cntr

Banned

I know Luffy beat him way back when but Croc is still very powerful and they showed that well in the Marineford arc. Now I know we haven't seen him in the New World yet so maybe he also got stronger during those 2 years, but who knows.

help guise

Crocodile was always very powerful, he's just underrated because Luffy defeated him relatively early on. I think people forget that Luffy would've died fighting him if it wasn't for Robin, and that it was almost a fluke that he discovered Croc's weakness.

help guise

Yeah, I think Oda screwed himself when he kept making enemies insanely more and more powerful and also raising the bounties more and more. Considering that Luffy could beat Crocodile all the way back then, I can only imagine how easy it would be to defeat him now. Crocodile seems to be the weakest of all the warlords (current and former), CP9 and also probably weaker than all or most of the supernovas.

Crocodile wouldn't stand a chance against a strong haki user.

Top Bottom