• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

demidar

I'm conflicted on where Crocodile goes in the power chart :/

I know Luffy beat him way back when but Croc is still very powerful and they showed that well in the Marineford arc. Now I know we haven't seen him in the New World yet so maybe he also got stronger during those 2 years, but who knows.

help guise

Also power levels are a bit iffy, as it's possible for a Devil Fruit power to completely or partially nullify another's Devil Fruit power. For example, Enel would probably rock the shit out of everyone with his lightning powers, it's just too bad he fought against a rubberman eh? Also Buggy has a massive advantage over Mihawk (who could probably just punch Buggy to death when he finds his sword useless) although I don't know if a Haki-infused sword would still be effective.

Following that, it's easy for a low power fighter to beat a high power fighter if the matchup is in their favour. Also it seems like successful sneak attacks can massively damage even the strongest people.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm conflicted on where Crocodile goes in the power chart :/

I know Luffy beat him way back when but Croc is still very powerful and they showed that well in the Marineford arc. Now I know we haven't seen him in the New World yet so maybe he also got stronger during those 2 years, but who knows.

help guise

Power charts don't mean much in this series. Luffy only beats Crock because he accidentally figures out how to actually hit him. It's more about how the different powers match up against each other and taking advantage of the weaknesses of each Devil Fruit.

Also power levels are a bit iffy, as it's possible for a Devil Fruit power to completely or partially nullify another's Devil Fruit power. For example, Enel would probably rock the shit out of everyone with his lightning powers, it's just too bad he fought against a rubberman eh? Also Buggy has a massive advantage over Mihawk (who could probably just punch Buggy to death when he finds his sword useless) although I don't know if a Haki-infused sword would still be effective.

Following that, it's easy for a low power fighter to beat a high power fighter if the matchup is in their favour. Also it seems like successful sneak attacks can massively damage even the strongest people.

Basically this. Don't try and think of this as DBZ, it's more like an ultra complicated rock-paper-scissors

Actually, I think from most of Luff's fights, Crocodile, Smoker and especially Enel stand out. No non-Haki user has a chance against them, back then or now. Hell, Enel even used some Haki as well, placing him more in range of the admirals.
It's well portrayed how Luffy could only win because he discovered their respective weakness (water and himself) that basically have the same effect as using Haki would have. He never found a weakness in Smoker's devil fruit element and it shows because he's only now able to actually fight him due to Haki.
It's very different to the brute force fights until the respective limit like against Lucci.

With Haki users, I think it's a bit more balanced as actual fighting strength counts, so you can kinda apply DBZ power levels in those cases.

Btw, do certain Zoan users have the potential to be the strongest if they can control Haki well? Their main ability IS that they are actually physically stronger which they can use to their advantage, right? They should be able to hit the "actual body of a devil fruit user" with more force than anyone else. Like, does the Haki of a Logia user prevent them using this strength?

What I meant is that there's like a bajillion different powers and they work off each other in weird ways.

I completely disagree, and it's honestly anything but complex, especially since the introduction of haki. I mean yeah, sand is weak to water, rubber is immune to lightning etc shape things up, but it's still pretty straight-forward to me.

demidar

I completely disagree, and it's honestly anything but complex, especially since the introduction of haki. I mean yeah, sand is weak to water, rubber is immune to lightning etc shape things up, but it's still pretty straight-forward to me.

That's normal type powersets, what about weird stuff like Law's Rooms, Buggy's Chop Chop, Gekko's shadow powers as well as some things that are manga spoilers right now. Also who would've thought the Yomi Yomi no Mi gave those weird-ass powers to Brook where he can frost up his sword? Then you've also got those powers like what CP9 has (can't remember the name right now), and I'd wager we'd meet a few more of those practitioners but with Devil Fruit powers to back them up. Also the new Admiral has a weird-ass power which I'm not gonna spoil here.

That's normal type powersets, what about weird stuff like Law's Rooms, Buggy's Chop Chop, Gekko's shadow powers as well as some things that are manga spoilers right now. Also who would've thought the Yomi Yomi no Mi gave those weird-ass powers to Brook where he can frost up his sword? Then you've also got those powers like what CP9 has (can't remember the name right now), and I'd wager we'd meet a few more of those practitioners but with Devil Fruit powers to back them up. Also the new Admiral has a weird-ass power which I'm not gonna spoil here.

Sure, that's true, but I still don't see the "ultra complexity". I agree to some degree though. You use better examples. Also, you can use spoiler tags as long as you state that it's a manga spoiler.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sure, that's true, but I still don't see the "ultra complexity". I agree to some degree though. You use better examples. Also, you can use spoiler tags as long as you state that it's a manga spoiler.

I meant that it was just way more complicated than a regular old rock-paper-scissors due to all the different powers (if rock-paper-scissors had like 100 choices was what I was getting at), maybe I phrased it wrong.

mrmickfran

Yeah, I think Oda screwed himself when he kept making enemies insanely more and more powerful and also raising the bounties more and more. Considering that Luffy could beat Crocodile all the way back then, I can only imagine how easy it would be to defeat him now. Crocodile seems to be the weakest of all the warlords (current and former), CP9 and also probably weaker than all or most of the supernovas.

Crocodile wouldn't stand a chance against a strong haki user.

Even weaker than
Buggy
? ;)

Jigolo

Even weaker than
Buggy
? ;)

lol that's what I'm saying. I know it's not about power levels in the same sense as DBZ.

But for a lack of a better term I said power chart because even if the match ups are in favor of one devil fruit, the other guy can still be more powerful.

As someone above mentioned Mihawk vs Buggy. Buggy without a doubt has the advantage with his chop chop fruit but Mihawk is much much much more powerful than Buggy the clown. Therefore on the power chart I'd place Mihawk higher

I still feel Croc would be able hang with the weaker shichibukai like Hancock, Moriah, Law, and dare I say Jinbe.

But for the top tier, I do believe he is outclassed. Mihawk, Donflamingo, and Kuma.

demidar

How the fuck are you even suppose to defeat Kuma? He'll just "repel" all the damage and tiredness out of him. Boom, full strength.

Soriku

How the fuck are you even suppose to defeat Kuma? He'll just "repel" all the damage and tiredness out of him. Boom, full strength.

When we saw Kuma guarding the Sunny he was all beat up. And I think there's a limit to what he can heal. For example, if Akainu burns a big hole through his chest, what's he gonna do? And being a cyborg I don't think it's simply as easy to take all his damage out since he can have broken machine parts that his fruit might not be able to fix.

upandaway

I was under the impression that he doesn't physically heal anything with his power, just aid the body to heal faster. So mid-battle healing is impossible, even if he wasn't a cyborg and suffered no fatal injuries.

kuma has to be the most surprising of all the warlords for me in strength when he showed up at thriller bark he really gave the impression of a terminator with how he was taking people out.

Raxus

kuma has to be the most surprising of all the warlords for me in strength when he showed up at thriller bark he really gave the impression of a terminator with how he was taking people out.

He essentially is considering what happened to him. Single handedly eliminated the straw hats and many more pirates with ease as well. That being said all his powers seem to be in his paws. Guy is a tank though.

I think Kuma; like Hancock, Jinbei, and Buggy will be dealt with through other means. I assume he would be part of the much larger Vegapunk/Revolutionary arc if/when they come up. Don Flamingo is asking for Luffy to punch him in the face though. That man is deliciously evil.

Korosenai

Hmm, Kuma? I doubt he can repel non-physical attacks. Would not stand a chance against the likes of Eneru.
Kuma should be able to repel lightning considering he can repel air, i think.

Oh, and anyone One Piece bros getting pokemon? And want to exchange friend codes? My friend code is 5155-3032-4812. Just pm me if you add me.

jbug617

Banned
One Piece TV getting Bluray release.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-12/one-piece-tv-anime-blu-rays-listed-in-japan

Online retailer Amazon is listing One Piece Blu-ray Disc releases, with the first disc including episodes from the "Punk Hazard" arc (episodes 579-582). The Blu-ray release is listed for 5,775 yen (about US$58) on January 8. The series' DVD releases will continue at the retail price of 4,725 yen (US$47) each.

I know we are far from reaching that point in the show (Funimation release)but something interesting in buying in the future.

Jigolo

Great stuff this week.

1381625923124.jpg

Oda has set up the second half of OP to be even better than the first. As a reader of the manga dear god this episode got me hyped after Laws speech and all those images flashed on screen.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Pretty significant alteration to the end of this fight, I thought. Havin Luffy actually struggle against Ceasar there, whereas in the manga it was just a solid hit with no resistance. They've been doin this a fair amount in this arc, trying to flesh out battles into something with more "struggle" in them, making Ceasar out to be more of a threat than he really was. I get it, I guess, but at the same time it makes Luffy seem weaker than he really is.

Raxus

Pretty significant alteration to the end of this fight, I thought. Havin Luffy actually struggle against Ceasar there, whereas in the manga it was just a solid hit with no resistance. They've been doin this a fair amount in this arc, trying to flesh out battles into something with more "struggle" in them, making Ceasar out to be more of a threat than he really was. I get it, I guess, but at the same time it makes Luffy seem weaker than he really is.

Toei gonna Toei. I don't fault them for this fight as much as the Hody Jones fight which was supposed to be a curbstomp. There has been two major arcs so far and the only person who has had difficult fights is poor Sanji. As we head into the next arc there should be less exaggeration needed since Oda really fleshed out the battles so far.

ragon

This video shows how much one piece is great, those moments and looking to see more of this series even I'm little worry about how they show the anime ruining pretty slow now, i know this to not to catch up the manga too fast but filling time makes me bored in some times while watching.

I still say it's well done even with the second rate anime guys doing the scenes (compared to the first rate ones in the previous episode)

Main question: anyone know the name of the soundtrack playing when Luffy delivers the final blow to Caesar? That sounded so good

I still say it's well done even with the second rate anime guys doing the scenes (compared to the first rate ones in the previous episode)

Main question: anyone know the name of the soundtrack playing when Luffy delivers the final blow to Caesar? That sounded so good

Bump - can't find the song :p

If it helps, it begins at 0:13 in this video (snippit of the episode mentioned above): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfHNsEYBSQ0

Flai

Oh my god.. I'm currently watching the Davy Back/Long Ring Long Land arc and I don't know if I'm totally fed up with this series or what but this is the worst arc ever. I mean Arabasta was really boring, especially since I absolutely hated Vivi, but this is like.. Infinitely worse that that.. Blargh.. I mean every character is doing stupid things all the time and all the "cliff-hangers" are pissing me off so much..

Maybe I should take a break from this show or something..

Jigolo

Oh my god.. I'm currently watching the Davy Back/Long Ring Long Land arc and I don't know if I'm totally fed up with this series or what but this is the worst arc ever. I mean Arabasta was really boring, especially since I absolutely hated Vivi, but this is like.. Infinitely worse that that.. Blargh.. I mean every character is doing stupid things all the time and all the "cliff-hangers" are pissing me off so much..

You're about to hit the pinnacle of the series in Water 7/Enies Lobby. It only gets WAY better from there.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Toei fills that arc with filler which ruins it (and it wasn't the best arc to begin with). There's only 3 canon events in that entire arc so feel free to just skip to the final event (you won't miss anything). Those cliff hangers and stupid actions are all filler.

Stick with it. The next canon arc (Water 7) is one of the best.

Stop watching One Piece and start reading One Piece.

Jigolo

Well, I still think Water 7 / Enies is the high point of the series.

What I meant was that Water 7/ Enies is the best arc of the series.

But everything (well almost everything) after W7 is better than Alabasta and Skypiea with the exception of fishmen island, which was bad. That's what I meant by when I said it only gets better from W7.

There's no denying W7 is the best arc in the series.

Disagreed. Though it is a great arc, even the arc directly after it, Enies Lobby, is better in my opinion. Then there's Sabaody Archipelago, Drum Island, Thriller Bark, Marineford and Alabasta -- which are some of my absolute favourite arcs. I'd rank most of them over Water 7 I think, although again Water 7 is also fantastic.

I also disagree about Fishmans Island being bad. It was an okay arc all in all. Had a nice flashback. Of course it's much better in the manga.

Cwarrior

What I meant was that Water 7/ Enies is the best arc of the series.

But everything (well almost everything) after W7 is better than Alabasta and Skypiea with the exception of fishmen island, which was bad. That's what I meant by when I said it only gets better from W7.

Thriller park final(brook back story,nothing happened, oz fight), saobondy(don kizaru) and impel down are better then water 7.

Fishmen island was not bad, the story of fish men tiger was fantastic sadly the enemy's where no match to the straw hats which made the arc weak compared to the grand line arcs.

Jigolo

I consider water 7 and enies lobby 1 arc because their goal to save Robin was still the same and the villain was still the same. You have to remember that after they finished business in enies they came back to W7 to do their celebratory feast/party that they do after almost every arc. So when I say W7 I really mean both W7 and Enies, sorry for the misunderstanding.

As for saboady and marineford those are my #2 and #3 arcs respectively in the series but I still thought W7 was better than those with SA coming in a very close second.

On mobile so sorry if funky spelling

Mik317

Man The anime knows how to bring things to a screeching halt.

Just got to Robin's past.

Getting feels.

and then..

hey gaiz lets have 5 episodes of recap....

the fuck mayne.

This would suck completely if not for the awesome One Piece Theater segments.

But still cut it out.

SykoTech

^Yeah, it's really dumb. There's also some Boss Luffy filler just a few episodes after the recap as well. Not looking forward to going through that screwed up scheduling again once Toonami reaches Enies Lobby.

Oh and since there was some ranking talk earlier...

1. Water 7/Enies Lobby
2. Marineford
3. Sabaody Archipelago
4. Alabasta
5. Impel Down
6. Arlong Park

And then the rest. And the only arc that I would call bad is Davy Back. Well, the anime version anyway.

Man The anime knows how to bring things to a screeching halt.

Just got to Robin's past.

Getting feels.

and then..

hey gaiz lets have 5 episodes of recap....

the fuck mayne.

This would suck completely if not for the awesome One Piece Theater segments.

But still cut it out.

To be fair One piece shifted to a prime time slot so those recap episodes helped catch the new audience up to speed pretty nicely.

Edt: need sleep lol posting toonami

Top Bottom