• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Can someone help me explain how the finale of enies lobby isn't deus ex machina?

It is.

I guess you could argue that it was "earned" by filling with Merry with so many great memories and experiences, and it finally paid off right there, as the boat GAINED SENTIENCE. But yeah it's pretty deusey. Sometimes that's okay though, if it comes with such a great emotional payoff.

It is.

I guess you could argue that it was "earned" by filling with Merry with so many great memories and experiences, and it finally paid off right there, as the boat GAINED SENTIENCE. But yeah it's pretty deusey. Sometimes that's okay though, if it comes with such a great emotional payoff.

Except it was already established the merry could fix itself in skypiea, and the concept of kablatterman was explained by franky in water 7 as a spirit that could lead a ship to save its crew. Its very much established...

Raxus

Except it was already established the merry could fix itself in skypiea, and the concept of kablatterman was explained by franky in water 7 as a spirit that could lead a ship to save its crew. Its very much established...

Ship had a broken back essentially. There was no coming back for the Merry.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

It was not really established that the ship could ferry itself to a location by itself, and it WAS established that the ship was basically broken in half and shouldn't have been able to sail anywhere anyway. It still showed up in the right place at the right time with basically no foreshadowing.

And really, the knowledge that god exists and can save people doesn't make his one-time appearance during the climax not a deus ex machina.

It was not really established that the ship could ferry itself to a location by itself, and it WAS established that the ship was basically broken in half and shouldn't have been able to sail anywhere anyway. It still showed up in the right place at the right time with basically no foreshadowing.

And really, the knowledge that god exists and can save people doesn't make his one-time appearance during the climax not a deus ex machina.

Time line is

-merry fixes itself in skypiea, including getting the mast from out of the water. Usopp sees this

-franky explains the figure usopp saw was klabatterman and that it is the spirit of a ship that is loved by its crew and has the ability to steer the ship and crew to safety

-usopp and co here the merry's voice calling to them for a good chunk of enies lobby

-merry arrives to "bring them home to safety"

The concept of the merry having a soul is introduced and explained, if all of those scenes didn't happen outside of the last one then it would be deus ex machina. As it stands the only one you can argue is the first event in skypiea, after that its an established fact the merry has a soul. Even then the straw hats already has a plan to repair the ship the next morning, the fact the ship repaired itself ended up being convenient for the crew. Skypiea would have largely played out the same if the ship hadn't repaired itself.

And lets be real what's a more baffling power, the ability for a ship to sail itself, or the ability for a ship to repair itself?

Deus ex machina implies that the story has backed itself into a corner and has to invent something on the spot that had zero foreshadowing to fix the problem. The merry having a spirit and saving the crew is foreshadowed and established in the arcs leading up to enies lobby.

jbug617

Banned
Just make sure it doesn't have a watermark of one of the manga aggregator sites and you're fine.

cool.

Here is the color page for chapter 726. I believe the reason for the color page was because the manga has 300 million copies in print
Chapter_726.png

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Deus ex machina implies that the story has backed itself into a corner and has to invent something on the spot that had zero foreshadowing to fix the problem. The merry having a spirit and saving the crew is foreshadowed and established in the arcs leading up to enies lobby.

I'm aware of the timeline. I just don't agree with you on what constitutes a deus ex machina. It originated in plays that were written all at once, not long-running serializations. Not exclusively stories that backed themselves into a corner, but stories that were written to be that way. You can deus ex machina by design, and it can be good. You can also do it sloppily and it can suck. One Piece was the former.

Wikipedia said:
Depending on how it is done, it can be intended to move the story forward when the writer has "painted himself into a corner" and sees no other way out, to surprise the audience, to bring a happy ending into the tale, or as a comedic device.

Most "SURPRISE character is here to save the day" moments in manga are all deus ex machina. And merry was a surprise, full-stop. The knowledge that the boat is thinking for itself does NOT foreshadow it arriving at the climax of enies lobby under its own volition exactly when they need it.

Again, knowledge that god exists does not make his sudden appearance not a deus ex machina.

Btw, pretty sure this:

-usopp and co here the merry's voice calling to them for a good chunk of enies lobby

Is just not true.

Alright, I just saw "One Piece Nami Special: The Navigator's Tears and the Bonds of Friendship" and it was way better than I thought it would be. I feel like they made the arc better by removing a lot of filler and increasing the quality of the animations. I also almost cried again. Almost.

Uhh so apparently Oda drew Law as a female.

[IM]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/onepiece/images/e/e1/Law_as_a_Female.png

As well as gender swapped Straw Hats.

[IM]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091204002606/onepiece/images/a/a1/Genderswaped_SH.PNG[MG]

Any more of these? lol.

Those are old, at least the one with the Straw Hats. That's from one of the letters from Japan sections. Also, why are people here complaining that they are too similar? Isn't that the whole point?

Jigolo

Crunchyroll's announced that they're going to begin simulcasting the series as well, starting this weekend. Same day and time (Saturdays at 7pm Pacific/10pm Eastern) as Funi, and it'll available to everyone right away, no need for free users to wait a week like with their other shows.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/31-1/crunchyroll-to-simulcast-one-piece-anime
Holy shit looks like I'm subscribing to Crunchyroll now. All the anime I watch is on there now. Beautiful.

Korosenai

Crunchyroll's announced that they're going to begin simulcasting the series as well, starting this weekend. Same day and time (Saturdays at 7pm Pacific/10pm Eastern) as Funi, and it'll available to everyone right away, no need for free users to wait a week like with their other shows.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/10/31-1/crunchyroll-to-simulcast-one-piece-anime
Welp, guess ill start watching One Piece again. Havent watched it since Luffy elephant gatling gund Noah.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
And Bonney is basically Sanji.

I read the discussion at Arlong Park about that image, and what the characters are saying.
... I don't think I'm going to go back to AP. It's getting too ridiculous.

So, I take it One Piece on Crunchyroll means a bigger audience? I don't use CR so... I don't know.

Cwarrior

Streaming One Piece simulcast at more than 360p?!?

Thank god, I don't think it's possiable for this crunchy stream to be lower quality then the funi one.

Yibes is still the only/best way to watch new episodes of One piece with best possiable picture quality e

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Am I missing something, or is the CR episode just.. not there? I know the "air time" was an hour and a half ago, but it wasn't actually a LIVE stream, was it? Did I MISS it? Is that not just the "we'll put the video up then, you can watch it whenever" time, like it is on the Funi site?

mhs004

Am I missing something, or is the CR episode just.. not there? I know the "air time" was an hour and a half ago, but it wasn't actually a LIVE stream, was it? Did I MISS it? Is that not just the "we'll put the video up then, you can watch it whenever" time, like it is on the Funi site?

They updated the OP page saying they are having issues with the servers and are trying to fix it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They updated the OP page saying they are having issues with the servers and are trying to fix it.

Well it's up. Aaaand without a paid Crunchyroll membership, it's the same shitty Funimation stream, old OP and 360p and all of it. Definitely worth the wait.

Soriku

This was a pretty well done episode even if they had to drag out some parts. Liked Franky's fight as well as the ending with Monet.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
They hyped up the ending with Monet in a pretty nice way.

Sucks that the Cruncyroll thing isn't much different than the Funimation stream.

789shadow

Banned
Jesus Christ, not even Crunchyroll can get the fucking 16th OP. The guys who did that one should be banned from ever making one again for this.

Maybe in places that don't use fansubs. And it's not like Toei won't put it on their DVDs. I wouldn't be surprised if things like this stick around. Toei doesn't care what we see.

619 - RUnning Wild! Invincible General Franky

Well no Hands Up is disappointing, guess it will be an OP I skip, an anime first. Anyway, last three minutes made it worthwhile of an episode while overall came out more memorable than the manga chapter did well, Monet's moment was memorable from there too.

They could have honestly left Ceaser's moment out since, well it could just be handled next episode.

Top Bottom