• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I imagine it must be a mistake on rightstuf's part, I doubt funi is going to start using Nakama so late in the game unless Oda/Toei demanded it

I'm hoping that's the case.
I don't think Oda even knows of the word's significance in the Western fanbase. Hell, so many other shows use "nakama", but it's translated to fit the scene.
I hate K-F so much for causing this...

How hard is it to translate "nakama"? Seriously. It's not exactly a cryptic word.

Thanks to Kaizoku-Fansubs, a large section of One Piece fans believe it's a "special magical word" that can never be translated. It's thanks to this disclaimer they included mid-way through Arlong Park that said they weren't going to translate it and they gave stupid reasons why.

I'm hoping that's the case.
I don't think Oda even knows of the word's significance in the Western fanbase. Hell, so many other shows use "nakama", but it's translated to fit the scene.
I hate K-F so much for causing this...

Thanks to Kaizoku-Fansubs, a large section of One Piece fans believe it's a "special magical word" that can never be translated. It's thanks to this disclaimer they included mid-way through Arlong Park that said they weren't going to translate it and they gave stupid reasons why.

Honestly I enjoy using it as an in joke among anime/manga fans. Same way I use baka or other Japanese words lol

All according to keikaku.

From what I've read, Oda has placed no special significance in the word itself (rather than the theme of friendship). But it is a monstrosity, I agree. It's simply lazy.

Maron

I really hope they don't start using nakama in the dub.

They won't, the Brand Manager says that when they have their discussions on OP-related stuff like how to manage the descriptions they just tend to use the Japanese terms interchangeably with the English ones. It was basically a mistake.

I imagine it must be a mistake on rightstuf's part, I doubt funi is going to start using Nakama so late in the game unless Oda/Toei demanded it

Nah just a mistake from FUNi don't worry, the OP Podcast guys kinda set him straight on how people want to avoid it. I think he was under the impression that the "core" OP audience appreciates it's use or something.

Flai

:(

Just finished my One Piece marathon and watched the latest episode. Took me about 1.5 months to watch all 620 episodes. I don't know how I can live with not being able to watch +10 episodes every day... :)

No one posted One Piece in the new york times?

BZmMsAhIEAAO9lV.jpg:large
usa.jpg

demidar

tumblr_mwh1zkd8Ur1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I think its to celebrate One Piece having crossed over 300mln manga volumes printed in JPN alone, this year, (and over 345mln worldwide).

Still weird, really super weird. I didn't think that stuff would make it into a major newspaper, doesn't seem like it's in its wheelhouse.

It's a shame that 4Kids dub pretty much killed One Piece in the west, I reckon it would've been a powerhouse if was handled well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why is it in the New York Times?

I do think I've seen that luffy art before it maybe one oda made one for the New York time.

It almost guarantees that it'll make the US news, even as just a small mention on a ticker. Buying out a full page in the Times isn't a cheap, or very common thing, to have happen.

Cwarrior

Hopefully this prompts oda to give nami her shirt back if his serious about that world wide appeal.

If they can find the money to get a New York time ad am sure they can get the money for some extra ink to draw nami a shirt, can manga readers spoil me on if nami gets a shirt in the later arc/current manga arc?

BatDan

Wow, getting a full-page ad in the NYT is a pretty big deal.

"Any REAL adventure in this country?" Hahaha.

Hopefully this does wonders for One Piece in the West.

Korosenai

Here is the link for the other One Piece ads representing the different prefectures in Japan.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...illion-copies-with-special-prefecture-posters

So Ishho has a tiger behind him, Bonnie is in a restaurant, and Blackbeard has 3 monster/things behind him...

Blackbeard is a chimera confirmed.

But seriously, I find it really weird now that his pirate flag has three skulls on it, that chimera theory, and now this ad. Something's up with Blackbeard. He's even got 3 pistols which I just noticed. What's with Blackbeard and the number three. Shanks scar from blackbeard was even 3 scratch marks.

Cwarrior

They would have been better off paying to display such an add in times square

They would have been better off throwing there money down a well, the text in that ad sounds like it's been written by google translate.

Normal people would read the text luffy covering part off and go "this the...ma...n.ga...what's a manga...a new cartoon or video game *shrugs*

BatDan

Yeah, no wonder I forgot. 2008 was a lifetime ago.

So many Jump series lived and died in that time.

Hell, countless Jump series had their entire runs since One Piece began in 1997.
Eyeshield 21, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Death Note, Sket Dance, and those are the ones that were successful.
One Piece is going to outlast Naruto and Bleach as well.

Hell, countless Jump series had their entire runs since One Piece began in 1997.
Eyeshield 21, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Death Note, Sket Dance, and those are the ones that were successful.
Dont forget to add Mr. fullswing to that list....

demidar

I don't even know what is up with the other two (Naruto and Bleach), seems like a clusterfuck.

Any who, Gintama is still going so all is well.

BatDan

Just got Season 5 Volume 4 in the mail.
"Nakama" was not a Rightstuf mistake, it's on the packaging. This better be a one time mistake Funi.

"Nakama" was not a Rightstuf mistake, it's on the packaging. This better be a one time mistake Funi.

Maybe you can complain to funi and get them to send you a fixed cover sleeve or something?

They'll probably just call you a baka though ;p

Wait this disc has 312 on it correct? Please pm me or spoiler post how they handle that episode

Maron

Yeah, mentioned the confirmation the other day here.

They won't, the Brand Manager says that when they have their discussions on OP-related stuff like how to manage the descriptions they just tend to use the Japanese terms interchangeably with the English ones. It was basically a mistake.

Nah just a mistake from FUNi don't worry, the OP Podcast guys kinda set him straight on how people want to avoid it. I think he was under the impression that the "core" OP audience appreciates it's use or something.

Magwik

Banned
Just got done watching the Strong World dub. They made a perfect decision for the VA for Brook. Was also my first time seeing the movie itself and loved every minute of it.

Soriku

Nami likes dem strong female Navy soldiers huh :p

I liked this episode a lot. Good resolution overall. I lol'd when Brook "killed" Kin'emon. Also gotta love how no one cares that Dofla's gunning after them...not that they know he's the one who's coming, but...

Are we really going to get Luffy vs. Shanks at some point?

The best part of the episode for me was Nami's outfit. Not only was it sensible, which is rare, but it was also pretty stylish, too. Hopefully Oda rains down an endless torrent of cold weather upon the crew henceforward.

Nami likes dem strong female Navy soldiers huh :p

I liked this episode a lot. Good resolution overall. I lol'd when Brook "killed" Kin'emon. Also gotta love how no one cares that Dofla's gunning after them...not that they know he's the one who's coming, but...

Are we really going to get Luffy vs. Shanks at some point?

I still figure Shanks will "fall" before Luffy fights him. I'm guessing it will involve Blackbeard probably.

Cwarrior

The best part of the episode for me was Nami's outfit. Not only was it sensible, which is rare, but it was also pretty stylish, too. Hopefully Oda rains down an endless torrent of cold weather upon the crew henceforward.

Can any manga reader spoil me on if nami gets a shirt any time soon?

Just saw Luffy's Episode: Hand of Island no Bouken. I haven't seen many of these special episodes. All in all it was enjoyable, but there are a bunch of incorrect details and embarrassing scenes. The fashion show in the beginning is awful. And what's up with Robin's pants? Aren't they a little too... far down?

The film acts as if Luffy doesn't know how to use haki. There are just so many instances where he could have used haki. All the fighting scenes are awful too, and the "final boss" is some below-average marine who should be no match for Luffy, yet he had trouble with him.

The flashbacks are well done though.

I don't know who wrote this film, but there's no way Oda wrote this, that's for certain.
If I'm wrong on this I'll commit sudoku.

Soriku

Without spoiling much, no. Not the navy... but something else.

Law mentioned Kaido too but his face first turned when Law mentioned that the Admirals would be going after him if he resigned. Though I guess he's afraid of Kaido ultimately.

Top Bottom