• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

is there a different place to discuss the manga? I noticed not a lot of people are talking about it..

Manga gaf on wednesdays, as a warning the policy is once the chapter is "released" online in English its fair game for all spoilers. If you wait for the offical viz release or don't like spoilers don't read the thread til after you've read the chapter

is there a different place to discuss the manga? I noticed not a lot of people are talking about it..

Not really; there's no main place for talking about One Piece manga here on GAF and I'm not even sure how many reads it. There's a general manga thread where people talk about all manga as they're released weekly, but that's definitely a poor model -- it becomes mostly a cluttered mess and again I don't think that many reads One Piece.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Not really; there's no main place for talking about One Piece manga here on GAF and I'm not even sure how many reads it. There's a general manga thread where people talk about all manga as they're released weekly, but that's definitely a poor model -- it becomes mostly a cluttered mess and again I don't think that many reads One Piece.

...One Piece is in a 3-way tie for most read manga on NeoGAF (alongside Bleach/Naruto of course). The manga is talked about constantly.

The reason there is no manga spoilers in this thread is because (A) it would be redundant with the aforementioned overall manga thread, and (B) it's been proven time and again that's it's impossible to avoid spoiling the anime people if manga spoilers are allowed, and (C) the english volumes are released roughly on par with the corresponding japanese episodes, adding another group that wished to avoid spoilers (this was especially true back when this thread was first made. Back then the only people who would know about manga spoilers were effectively pirating it).

Its better then the alternative of having 11 million ots for different manga that the same group of posters all post in. The general OT allows us to discuss all manga and compare and contrast series as they release weekly/monthly

Its better then the alternative of having 11 million ots for different manga that the same group of posters all post in. The general OT allows us to discuss all manga and compare and contrast series as they release weekly/monthly

Thank god the folks on the gaming side doesn't have this mentality.

Thats because after a month most games see a pretty large drop in discussion with the only few threads that get continuous discussion being the halo general ot or smash bros general ot. Series like one piece, naruto, bleach, toriko, shokugeki no soma, assassination classroom, beelzebub, and gintama (and more) get released weekly on the same day. Then you add in other popular series that get discussed weekly like UQ Holder, Fairy Tail, Magi, Silver Spoon, etc and it doesn't make sense to have separate OTs.

If you only read OP maybe you want an ot thread for just manga readers reading that one series and nothing is stoping you from making one, but people who only read 1-2 series are a minority and even then most of them just hit up the manga thread on wednesdays to discuss the new chapters then leave for a week. The fact is most of the big manga fans on neogaf read all of those series and discuss all of them in terms of story events, sales potential, comparison to other series, etc.

grandjedi6

That's because we're a gaming forum. You don't see people making individual threads for individual sports games or political news or anime or individual tv shows or etc. Manga gaf acts just like sports gaf, where there is a group thread for all the games happening that week, even if it jumbles them all up. Meanwhile, a sports forum would obviously split them up better.

Now to lighten this discussion:

7IjZgtl.gif

Moaradin

Episode 504 SPOILERS

Does this hint that Sabo is alive? Dragon brought an injured person from the ceremony and Sabo was the only person shown injured at that ceremony ...

ONE PIECE EP 504 SPOILERS

Does this hint that Sabo is alive? Dragon brought an injured person from the ceremony and Sabo was the only person shown injured...

Oda implied that a later scene of 3 sake cups at ace's grace indicated the presence of that person

Episode 504 SPOILERS

Does this hint that Sabo is alive? Dragon brought an injured person from the ceremony and Sabo was the only person shown injured at that ceremony ...

I don't remember what happened in that episode, but know this: in One Piece, characters very, very rarely die.

I really like that first gif. Geppo has been horribly animated after the Enies arc but Vergo and Smoker pull it off so well there. Really hope Sanji starts to get a well animated geppo one day.

Mr. Fix

started catching up with some op episode today, got the smoker vergo fight why didn't anyone tell me how awesome it's been animated.

op ep 609 - 616

damn the mocha stuff is brutal

http://i.minus.com/iqwPDrKcY6vdc.gif
http://i.minus.com/iDuR9RnNVFXt8.gif
http://i.minus.com/iBrbdVNCDoJF3.gif
http://i.minus.com/iR33PBLNoIYBA.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibwzIbdVqw07MQ.gif

Toei really did a wonderful job.

Time to catch up on the anime. I still think Sanji's entrance was shoddy though.

*There's a piano variation of We Go now? Awesome.

Soul Beat

I have a quick question. Is anyone else having trouble finding Season Five Voyage Four in stores? Not a single store in my area has any in stock.

I could get it online, but I'd rather not.

Soriku

Holy shit Nami wore a shirt. Is this real life?

The fight between Dofla and Smoker was solid, but of course Smoker can't do anything but job these days. Also I wasn't expecting Smoker to be as bloodied as he was. Thought they'd censor that a bit. Glad they didn't though.

Liked how Dofla stopped dead in his tracks once Aokiji came haha.

demidar

Holy shit Nami wore a shirt. Is this real life?

The fight between Dofla and Smoker was solid, but of course Smoker can't do anything but job these days. Also I wasn't expecting Smoker to be as bloodied as he was. Thought they'd censor that a bit. Glad they didn't though.

Liked how Dofla stopped dead in his tracks once Aokiji came haha.

What happened to you Smoker? You used to be so cool.

I'm really want to see what Aokiji is doing now that he's a veritable bum.

grandjedi6

Nami wore a shirt!

And that ending animation!!

I have a quick question. Is anyone else having trouble finding Season Five Voyage Four in stores? Not a single store in my area has any in stock.

I could get it online, but I'd rather not.

It's pretty rare for One Piece to end up in stores for me.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How does the whole Aokiji / Kuzan work? Every always said Aokiji was an alias but what would the point of that be?

Kuzan is his real name.
Aokiji is a title that translates out to Blue Pheasant. All the admirals have titles.
Sakazuki was Akainu (or Red Dog) before his promotion to Fleet Admiral
Borsalino is Kizaru (or Yellow Monkey)

Next arc spoilers:
Issho is Fujitora (or Purple Tiger)
There's also the other new Admiral, Ryokugyu. We don't know his real name, or even what he looks like, but that translates out to Green Bull

How does the whole Aokiji / Kuzan work? Every always said Aokiji was an alias but what would the point of that be?

All the admirals have aliases, in the same format: color and animal. There's no major point to it. Kuzan is his real name. In most languages, their aliases are translated, so Akainu for instance is called "red dog". Because of the English language, it doesn't sound very good because you can't put words together like in other languages, such as Japanese, German or the Nordic languages. Therefor English readers who don't know the translations of the aliases get confused.

Ah I'm surprised I don't think I ever heard the English translations before. I've just always read they're aliases.

As for the next arc...
I had heard of Green Bull. Now it all makes sense.

Thank ya :D

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
All the admirals have aliases, in the same format: color and animal. There's no major point to it. Kuzan is his real name. In most languages, their aliases are translated, so Akainu for instance is called "red dog". Because of the English language, it doesn't sound very good because you can't put words together like in other languages, such as Japanese, German or the Nordic languages. Therefor English readers who don't know the translations of the aliases get confused.

Plus, it's kind of difficult to make someone called "Red Dog" sound threatening knowing that this exists.

Jigolo

I'm getting this giggly feeling in my stomach because the next arc is going to be fantastic and I can't wait to see it animated. I've actually decided to stopped reading the manga all together for now. The most recent chapter was the perfect place to stop.

Get ready guys, Dressrosa is going to be incredible.

Kyne

I'm getting this giggly feeling in my stomach because the next arc is going to be fantastic and I can't wait to see it animated. I've actually decided to stopped reading the manga all together for now. The most recent chapter was the perfect place to stop.

ever since everyone got back from their training all they've been doing is lolly-gagging around with their newfound powers. It's true that the end to this arc is going to finally push them to their limits..

I want to see what Luffy/Zoro can do when they are serious.

Jayhawk

I started watching the anime in August. I just finished episode 623, and now will join you guys in watching the newest episode weekly. :D

demidar

Plus, it's kind of difficult to make someone called "Red Dog" sound threatening knowing that this exists.

What are you talking about? I can clearly see such intense murderous intent in Clifford's eyes and his disposition of Absolute Justice from his stance.

ever since everyone got back from their training all they've been doing is lolly-gagging around with their newfound powers. It's true that the end to this arc is going to finally push them to their limits..

I want to see what Luffy/Zoro can do when they are serious.

I doubt we'll see them at their limits this soon. As long as I get them exerting themselves again I'll be fine.

Jigolo

I know this isn't the manga thread, but spoilers for the new chapter this week are out and:

ibwUM7PHTL05Mz.gif

Fuck you.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Aw man are they talkin about the spoilers irresponsibly in there. I go in there all the time but I hate when they can't keep that shit in tags before the chapter actually comes out.

It's lucky I clicked this thread first today I guess.

Aw man are they talkin about the spoilers irresponsibly in there. I go in there all the time but I hate when they can't keep that shit in tags before the chapter actually comes out.

It's lucky I clicked this thread first today I guess.

The big news (Luffy dies) is in spoilers, while some other stuff isn't. But it's pretty obvious what's going on so I'd definitely stay out of the thread altogether if you want to avoid spoilers.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to spoiler-tag! Oh well...

Top Bottom