• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
First non-promotional filler arc since Ice Hunters 5 years ago. Hopefully it'll be closer to that in quality rather than the hideous promotional arcs. Bleh

FjLN0Fs.png

Soriku

Yeah, lots of service in this episode. 'Battle' was a bit tense, but dragged on a bit.

Yeah that stare off took longer than it should have. Wasn't even a battle anyway really.

Caesar for nakama plz.

Regarding man-made fruits, I wonder if it's possible to make one that gives you the effects but without the downside of sinking in the water.

Also Momonosuke styling.

IHaveIce

Banned
Filler arc incoming?

Well time to drop the anime for a while then. It doesn't even make sense, Law said they have to hurry. What happens? WELL let's shove in a filler arc.

Just do other specials or go on break.

The only fillers I would accept are ones where they show more of the timeskip (fight between Zoro and Mihawk, Robin meeting Dragon etc.) or stuff that was already on a coverstory like Enel on the moon

Yeah they just need to take a break. You dont want to sour the source material with so much big stuff coming up. I remember when Kubo had some shinigami's join Ichigo's school undercover. It was perfect for enormously good filler and the anime team glossed right over it.

I wish we could have some more alternative time line stuff. Similar to Boss Luffy. I'd love for more fun filler like that. Maybe see the Straw Hat's in school, or in a big city, or as ninjas, anything.

upandaway

Would've been a good time to animate the cover arc.. I don't know why they keep ignoring those. Do the viewers just outright ignore any episode that isn't directly related to the crew?

Jigolo

YES filler. Never thought I'd be saying this but I hope it lasts until mid march. Dressrosa has to be animated perfectly.

upandaway

I doubt they'll do it any differently whether they have 100 chapters or 20. Now that they've got the 1:1 system down, they're not gonna mess with it. The fillers are only here because of all the breaks the manga takes.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Filler arc incoming?

Well time to drop the anime for a while then. It doesn't even make sense, Law said they have to hurry. What happens? WELL let's shove in a filler arc.

Well I am sure they are not CHOOSING to be waylaid by some evil gentleman and various sea vermin. Shit happens. I'm sure it's a long boat ride to Dressrosa, and in the manga it's just like [scene missing] oh they're there. From a sense-making standpoint, I don't mind filler arcs that take place during implied gaps of time like that at all.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well I am sure they are not CHOOSING to be waylaid by some evil gentleman and various sea vermin. Shit happens. I'm sure it's a long boat ride to Dressrosa, and in the manga it's just like [scene missing] oh they're there. From a sense-making standpoint, I don't mind filler arcs that take place during implied gaps of time like that at all.

It's certainly better than just interrupting an arc right in the middle and doing something else for 10 episodes.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

yeah watching the episode again and I think the filler arc bad guy can be seen in a picture in one of the books momo was reading in the library. Monocle and all.

Mik317

so I'm going though the One piece films (well the ones I can watch without many spoilers at least) and so far they have been what most anime/shonen films are....longer better budgeted episodes of the show. That's fine as I obviously enjoy the show ,although I will say they tend to do a lot of the things I don't like from the show (mainly focus on weak uninteresting characters and stuff) but whatever.

so it goes like this.

Movie 1 : skipped, copy I have was messed up.
Movie 2: pretty basic. a well animated long episode of the show..
Movie 3: skipped...sounded stupid.
Movie 4: Pretty solid.
Movie 5: wasted potential...kinda boring actually.

and then movie 6 happened.

holy shit, I need an adult. This shit gets dark and while One Piece isnt exactly child friendly all the time...there is some nightmare fuel in this shit. I even knew that it was a bit darker going in but fucking christ. Hosada must have been really really depressed when making this....

and yet...I really really enjoyed it. It definitely was a different take on everything (even if I do think some characters were a bit off in spots.

good shit.

Big One

Banned
so I'm going though the One piece films (well the ones I can watch without many spoilers at least) and so far they have been what most anime/shonen films are....longer better budgeted episodes of the show. That's fine as I obviously enjoy the show ,although I will say they tend to do a lot of the things I don't like from the show (mainly focus on weak uninteresting characters and stuff) but whatever.

so it goes like this.

Movie 1 : skipped, copy I have was messed up.
Movie 2: pretty basic. a well animated long episode of the show..
Movie 3: skipped...sounded stupid.
Movie 4: Pretty solid.
Movie 5: wasted potential...kinda boring actually.

and then movie 6 happened.

holy shit, I need an adult. This shit gets dark and while One Piece isnt exactly child friendly all the time...there is some nightmare fuel in this shit. I even knew that it was a bit darker going in but fucking christ. Hosada must have been really really depressed when making this....

and yet...I really really enjoyed it. It definitely was a different take on everything (even if I do think some characters were a bit off in spots.

good shit.

I did this a while back. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Movie Z yet which I need to fix. However my impressions were basically this...

Movie 1 - Just feels like another anime episode. Pretty meh.
Movie 2 - I actually thought this was pretty good. Great showcase of Sanji in this film.
Movie 3 - Thought it was awful, plotless, and stupid.
Movie 4 - First movie that actually had some high level of production to it. Still to this day one of the best One Piece movies.
Movie 5 - Zoro's backstory being explored was interesting, but unfortunately I'm not a huge fan of the Saga character or really any of the story going on. The eventual showdown between the two was pretty cool.
Movie 6 - This was just awesome, through and through. had some really great cinematography. Animation was a bit sketchy, but it works for what it does. Till this day, I consider it to be my favorite movie of the bunch.
Movie 7 - This was a more comedy centric focused filmed. I'm ok with it, but I personally didn't care for it. Well-produced and had some good scenes, but nothing special.
Movie 8 - It's Alabasta. I've always found Alabasta to be one of the weaker arcs imo, but that's for a different time. Literally no interesting take on Alabasta which just sucks and makes this entire movie pointless.
Movie 9 - Drum Island is one of my favorite arcs, but I also feel like this was unnecessary, even though there are some differences. It's a good story, but also pointless. I also wasn't a huge fan of the animation.
Movie 10 - This is when One Piece movie production really got up there. Oda actually got involved with this one. The whole movie is, overall, of quality and fits right into the manga's lore already. I do not think it was better than Movie 6, but it was better produced all around so I really enjoyed this one too.
Movie 11 - Meh, just a short film.

Going to watch Movie 12...tonight.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I have not seen any of the movies, not sure if I want to because I see very polarizing reviews of them.

6 seems to be the only universally recommended one though, eh?

I have not seen any of the movies, not sure if I want to because I see very polarizing reviews of them.

6 seems to be the only universally recommended one though, eh?

I don't like 6 at all still it worth a watch along with 4 , 10 , 12 and maybe 5
10 and 12 worth it just for the animation alone since those is when OP movie budgets got much better and show in every way .

Strong World and Film Z are great! They're written by Oda himself and while they're certainly not perfect I enjoyed them a lot. Hand Island no Bouken is okay. The Navigator's Tears and the Bonds of Friendship is basically Arlong's arc except with a lot of the bad cut out. The Straw Hat Chase short film is pretty cool -- that's the CG one, right? The story has a few dumb points but all in all it is a cool film.

As for the eight/nine films that came before these: meh. That one film with a big race was pretty cool, even if the "candy candy" fruit was dumb.

Soriku

Why does tashigi look and act exactly kuina? Shit just can't be a coincidence.

The One Piece is actually a clone machine. Tashigi is just a clone of Kuina. At the end of the series they'll dig up Whitebeard's grave and create a whole Wholebeard army.

Moaradin

Well, I just caught up with the anime. I didn't think Punk Hazard was a bad arc like a lot of people said. I guess a lot of the pacing issues aren't nearly a problem when you just marathon the whole thing.

Raxus

Well, I just caught up with the anime. I didn't think Punk Hazard was a bad arc like a lot of people said. I guess a lot of the pacing issues aren't nearly a problem when you just marathon the whole thing.

I thought it was ok as well. It certainly is better than FI and on par with Skypia. It doesn't help that Dressrosa comes along after it and just blows it away.

Movie 1 doesn't get enough love. That's the only one that actually feels like One Piece to me. It's not my favorite but the others do have that "anime movie" feel to them. The first one feels like something I'd see in the manga / anime.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Movie 1 doesn't get enough love. That's the only one that actually feels like One Piece to me. It's not my favorite but the others do have that "anime movie" feel to them. The first one feels like something I'd see in the manga / anime.

Don't forget that awesome animation!

Filler was not bad so far, moves quite fast compared to the normal pacing haha
Cool to have a filler with Caesar&Law tagging along.

Also, nice callback with that Kung Fu Dugong from Alabasta. Actually I can't think of another filler arc in which an older character (even so insignificant as that one) showed up.

In other news, I was watching a documentary and I didn't know Germany has a real life sea train version :D
MMPU0f7.jpg

(Halligbahn)

IHaveIce

Banned
Would've been a good time to animate the cover arc.. I don't know why they keep ignoring those. Do the viewers just outright ignore any episode that isn't directly related to the crew?
Yeah Cover arcs would be a better way to create fillers. Like Enel's story.. hell I have friends who only watched the anime and are bugging me if he is still alive and will come back
Filler was not bad so far, moves quite fast compared to the normal pacing haha
Cool to have a filler with Caesar&Law tagging along.

Also, nice callback with that Kung Fu Dugong from Alabasta. Actually I can't think of another filler arc in which an older character (even so insignificant as that one) showed up.

In other news, I was watching a documentary and I didn't know Germany has a real life sea train version :D
MMPU0f7.jpg

(Halligbahn)

Rode the train there like 100 times already :D I live in the north of Germany.

Also to the question which movie you guys should see:
None, they are not from the source material and aren't canon. Don't poison your mind with dat shit.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
huh, guess the anime finally answered that sea rabbit mystery Oda was avoiding answering. Follows the trend of Oda leaving things open ended and off-screen for the anime to embellish open. If wonder how long this filler arc is for if they planned that far ahead though...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
huh, guess the anime finally answered that sea rabbit mystery Oda was avoiding answering. Follows the trend of Oda leaving things open ended and off-screen for the anime to embellish open. If wonder how long this filler arc is for if they planned that far ahead though...

What are you referencing? I don't remember a sea rabbit thing.

I think it's been confirmed that it's only 3 episodes.

Top Bottom