• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Repostin from the manga thread... he he he got this for Christmas:

uHzijzP.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1421560747/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kinda weird how "pirated up" the VIZ translation is, so much scarpered and scallywag and generalized pirate lingo. Which I can appreciate I suppose, actually localizing the script a bit, vs a rote translation. Are they still doing that in the more modern chapters? Lotta darns and dangs, too, which I also suppose is more accurate given it's a shounen manga, vs the SHIT DAMN FUCK in your common scanlation.

Read up to the start of Arlong Park so far, good stuff. I like all the in-between chapter stuff, and having the SBS's in there. Can even deal with Zolo. I gotta say though, actually translating the sound effects kinda makes the whole thing a bit more juvenile. You miss out on a lot of those things when it's just kana. Which is probably the case with any manga, I suppose. But it's still fun, a bit more cartoony, which still suits the series.

Will probably pick up full arcs at a time in the future, though it'd be nice if VIZ did more box sets like this. They've got Romance Dawn in its own little mini-book in there, which is super nice. It'd be cool to get the v2 Romance Dawn in a Skypiea box or summin.

They stopped doing the pirate lingo once the Skypiea volumes hit. Been noticing an increase in "bastards" and "damns" in the recent New World (Punk Hazard) volumes.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I know I'm like a hundred chapters behind, but I have to ask, is anyone else annoyed that Oda decided to make Zoro train under Mihawk? I mean, why get trained by the guy you're supposed to defeat? Thought it would have made much more sense if he was under the tutelage of someone like Shanks since he was one of the few people to be able to go head to head with Mihawk back in the day.

jbug617

Banned
I watched Strong World yesterday. It was pretty awesome. My only complaint was they really never followed up with the villagers.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know I'm like a hundred chapters behind, but I have to ask, is anyone else annoyed that Oda decided to make Zoro train under Mihawk? I mean, why get trained by the guy you're supposed to defeat? Thought it would have made much more sense if he was under the tutelage of someone like Shanks since he was one of the few people to be able to go head to head with Mihawk back in the day.

Mihawk trained him out of boredom. He knew nobody out there can defeat him, so why not speed up the process of the one that has a chance.

Acid08

Banned

I feel like we know literally nothing about Mihawk's intentions though. We know pretty much nothing about those two years off for everyone on the Straw Hats besides Luffy. Just generally what they were doing. Motivations and stuff should be revealed in time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am hoping Crunchyroll gets all OP episodes. I am still in the middle of the Punk Hazard arc (kickass!) so I am waiting for them to put them all up so I can easily watch them in glorious 1080p

Moaradin

Yeah, I just started watching One Piece on Crunchyroll and the quality is great. I just don't like that it's still on the We Go opening. When is that going to change?

Yeah, it's off. He has a pretty long nose but it's not that long. Google image search "blackbeard one piece manga" or the like to get a better view of what he looks like.

Korosenai

Just a heads up, Strong World Blu Ray is $18 on Amazon right now. Cheapest i've seen it on there. Just bought it and I can't wait to watch it for the first time.

Episode 627 – Luffy Dies at Sea?! The Pirate Alliance Comes Apart!
BdLnJcGCMAAx_SB.png

I laughed, the backgrounds made the command moments funnier than they were and then just Traffy there as well.

Powerful and painful episode at times, the discipline :(

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So I seen this image floating on twitter and supposedly there is going to be a movie or special celebrating the 15th anniversary of the anime this year.
I haven't heard that. Probably bullshit. That image was just a special promo image aired with the episode last week since it was the 15th anniversary.

EDIT: Yep, it's bullshit. That's just the promo image they're airing before every episode this year. No movie, special or anything else connected. They did the same for the 10th anniversary:

JQAhBII.jpg

I haven't heard that. Probably bullshit. That image was just a special promo image aired with the episode last week since it was the 15th anniversary.

EDIT: Yep, it's bullshit. That's just the promo image they're airing before every episode this year. No movie, special or anything else connected. They did the same for the 10th anniversary:

JQAhBII.jpg
robin looks better after 5 years

it's the outfit

probably the hat, that's a pretty radical hat

new episode was kinda dark/creepy haha

I found it strange as well. It was still worth it to see
Law fighting Luffy (I wish he let them use there powers when they fought because that would have been awesome)
, but the tone was a little too dark. No joke, I was starting to get the feels later in the episode.

No? If anything the waists haven gotten slimmer (and the boobs bigger) over time.

Volume_9.png

Volume_23.png

Oda was still changing and experimenting with the body shape of his women. I believe he mentioned in an interview that drawing women used to be difficult for him.

Nowadays, the heads are more proportionate and the bodies aren't as lanky. Even though the torso area is still thin, it's slightly more filled out.

I think Oda has the most regularly changing art style in Jump.

Akito

Oda was still changing and experimenting with the body shape of his women. I believe he mentioned in an interview that drawing women used to be difficult for him.

Nowadays, the heads are more proportionate and the bodies aren't as lanky. Even though the torso area is still thin, it's slightly more filled out.

I think Oda has the most regularly changing art style in Jump.
Well maybe those are just as thin in proportion to the hips but to me they don't look nearly as off-putting as the anime designs cause those waists look almost angular.

Well maybe those are just as thin in proportion to the hips but to me they don't look nearly as off-putting as the anime designs cause those waists look almost angular.

Anime artwork is drawn by hundreds of different artists who are just copying Oda's style while also taking some artistic liberties.

Not really the best source for accuracy.

Just checked out the new filler and it's pretty interesting actually. His power is a little bit ridiculous and couldn't he sort of just enslave the entire world? The way Luffy and Traffy got captured was a bit silly too especially since they could have defeated him so easily, and couldn't Luffy use his conquerors haki anyway? I'm enjoying it anyhow, so I'll definitely keep watching.

Top Bottom