• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Korosenai

Man, it's weird how when they first entered the Grand Line, if you drove straight for a few minutes you were lost, but now going from one island to the other is apparently really easy and you can just follow a straight line. Also funny how before the time-skip haki was really rare and now everyone who is something knows it. Oh, and no one used to read the newspaper but now everyone does, and for some reason they just get newspaper no matter where they are. How about that?
Theyre getting better as pirates, so theyre more experienced navigating the ocean, and its the new world. There arent going to be any chumps there.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Haki being everywhere makes sense. It's the New World after all, you probably have to have some sort of haki to even be able to get there. So when the best of the best are all in one place of course haki is prevalent.

Exactly this.
It's like Devil Fruits in the first part of the series. In East Blue, they were rare finds with only four characters having them prior to the Grand Line. Once they got into the Grand Line, every arc introduced a Devil Fruit user.
Haki on the other hand was rarer in the first part of the Grand Line, and didn't really get noticed until Sabaody with Rayleigh knocking out all those Marines. There were other instances (Shanks vs. Whitebeard, Luffy and Duval's buffalo) but they really didn't start to make sense until later. Now in the New World, the use of Haki is far more prevalent.

Haki being everywhere makes sense. It's the New World after all, you probably have to have some sort of haki to even be able to get there. So when the best of the best are all in one place of course haki is prevalent.

Well... The New World isn't a new thing, yeah? Just weird how a lot of people who aren't in the New World don't know it.

And you don't need it; only three straw hats use it for instance. Not sure if Franky would have any use of it even, for instance.

Theyre getting better as pirates, so theyre more experienced navigating the ocean, and its the new world. There arent going to be any chumps there.

But lots of powerful pirates existed in the early half of the Grand Line too. Experience pirates. The Seven Warlord of the Sea: many of those don't have it. Many powerful marines don't.

It just feels to me like Oda invented haki to tackle devil fruits powers and make strong individuals even stronger, but it's just a bit ridiculous know since all of a sudden it's just common to be able to use it.

BatDan

Well... The New World isn't a new thing, yeah? Just weird how a lot of people who aren't in the New World don't know it.

And you don't need it; only three straw hats use it for instance. Not sure if Franky would have any use of it even, for instance.

But lots of powerful pirates existed in the early half of the Grand Line too. Experience pirates. The Seven Warlord of the Sea: many of those don't have it. Many powerful marines don't.

It just feels to me like Oda invented haki to tackle devil fruits powers and make strong individuals even stronger, but it's just a bit ridiculous know since all of a sudden it's just common to be able to use it.

Pretty sure Haki has been in the works for a while. It was foreshadowed in the very first chapter with Shanks giving a death glare to the Sea King.

Pretty sure Haki has been in the works for a while. It was foreshadowed in the very first chapter with Shanks giving a death glare to the Sea King.

I seriously doubt Oda had planned haki all the way back then; I feel like that was more of when you stare an animal in the "white eye" or in the eye of the tiger if you will, but sure, it's possible that Oda had some sort of haki planned all the way back then. There are also theories that Zoro learned haki during his battle in Alabasta (which is also like the last time since Zoro pushed himself to the absolute limit, except for the annihilation of Kuma), but some think not. Either way, haki began to get more serious with Enel, Rayleigh and Hancock, but not the kind of haki that makes you turn black and deal insane damage. That kind of haki was iirc never even seen before the timeskip. And now it just seems really common. Like everyone just automatically learned it.

BatDan

I seriously doubt Oda had planned haki all the way back then; I feel like that was more of when you stare an animal in the "white eye" or in the eye of the tiger if you will, but sure, it's possible that Oda had some sort of haki planned all the way back then. There are also theories that Zoro learned haki during his battle in Alabasta (which is also like the last time since Zoro pushed himself to the absolute limit, except for the annihilation of Kuma), but some think not. Either way, haki began to get more serious with Enel, Rayleigh and Hancock, but not the kind of haki that makes you turn black and deal insane damage. That kind of haki was iirc never even seen before the timeskip. And now it just seems really common. Like everyone just automatically learned it.

Oda planned for One Piece to run for five years. It's likely that Haki would have been introduced at an earlier time had Oda stuck with that paln.
Also, Armament Haki (the kind that turns skins black) was shown pre-timeskip. It's how Garp hurts Luffy with his "Fist of Love", and Sentomaru uses it against Luffy during their encounter at Sabaody.
I think it only turns black now because Haki is known now and it's better represented that way (or the editor's told him to do it).

Also, Rayleigh appeared in Chapter 19, I wouldn't doubt Oda planned many aspects of the series since the start.

Acid08

Banned

Let me rephrase that: entire crews don't need haki in the New World but if there isn't a powerful haki user on your crew then you're not going to be successful there. You can bet that all of the Worst Generation captains and first mates use powerful haki.

And are people really surprised by haki now? I'm about 20 chapters behind in the manga but it seems like the only kind of haki that's surprising is the Conqueror's Haki because it's still rare compared to the rest. And I don't think it's surprise that it exists but it's surprising who can use it ie when Luffy used it during Marineford.

Oda planned for One Piece to run for five years. It's likely that Haki would have been introduced at an earlier time had Oda stuck with that paln.
Also, Armament Haki (the kind that turns skins black) was shown pre-timeskip. It's how Garp hurts Luffy with his "Fist of Love", and Sentomaru uses it against Luffy during their encounter at Sabaody.
I think it only turns black now because Haki is known now and it's better represented that way (or the editor's told him to do it).

Also, Rayleigh appeared in Chapter 19, I wouldn't doubt Oda planned many aspects of the series since the start.
This. It's just a visual representation of something that characters have been using.

Loco4Coco

Funimation Blog just posted the One Piece news.

Season 6 will be released in 4 sets (ep 337-384) in 2014. Season 6 Voyage 1 will be released 5/13/14

As what was posted earlier Collection 9 will cover ep 206-229. Funimation said they will release more Collections on a regular basis.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=3...ign=OnePieceS6&utm_source=OnePieceSOCIALMEDIA

Here are the special features for Collection 9

So we're get to hear Gecko Moria's english VA soon, also the faster we get to Sabaody arc the better.

Dartastic

As someone who is drunk and is completely caught up manga wise I'm confused about this thread. Whatever. Should I watch the latest filler?

mrmickfran

Thriller Bark was one of my least favorite arcs. Here's hoping Funimation blazes through it just so we can get to Marineford already.

Thriller Bark was one of my least favorite arcs. Here's hoping Funimation blazes through it just so we can get to Marineford already.
I was get sad when people mention that TB is one of their least favorites. :( The pacing was pretty slow, but it contains so many of my favorite moments of the series!

BatDan

There's still a long way to go to Marineford.
They still have Sabaody, Amazon Lilly, and Impel Down. This was when the 1:1 pacing was really taking effect so it's going to be a while.

I was get sad when people mention that TB is one of their least favorites. :( The pacing was pretty slow, but it contains so many of my favorite moments of the series!

I almost only read the manga, and at least there the pacing was pretty great. I love Thriller Bark myself. Loads of great moments, especially before they encounter Moriah and the long battles start.

There's still a long way to go to Marineford.
They still have Sabaody, Amazon Lilly, and Impel Down. This was when the 1:1 pacing was really taking effect so it's going to be a while.

Worth mentioning though is that Sabaody and Impel Down are awesome!

Kyne

cs4M0lL.gif

dani_dc

Cutting the music half-way for
Luffy and Teach
to change words is pretty damn odd, especially since
that hasn't happened in the manga.

Luffy vs. Akainu? Sanji vs. Kizaru? What the fuck lol. I actually expect the match ups to go that way but those don't even happen in the manga yet right?

Also damn, Robin's skirt is straight falling off.

ooTsgRD.jpg

Yup, none of that has happened in the manga yet.

As for the skirt, that's just the style! Physics be damned!

A friend suggested that she sprout hands to grab the dress from the inside to kee pit in that format, so I'll accept that as the logical explanation.

what the heck lol

I like the song and the opening, but some of the stuff is odd, like the Luffy/Teach exchange and random fights.

As for the skirt, that's just the style! Physics be damned!

A friend suggested that she sprout hands to grab the dress from the inside to kee pit in that format, so I'll accept that as the logical explanation.
that's fantastic

BatDan

Luffy vs. Akainu? Sanji vs. Kizaru? What the fuck lol. I actually expect the match ups to go that way but those don't even happen in the manga yet right

Not yet, Luffy hasn't even met Sakazuki either. Toei is taking some strange liberties.

OMG that was amazing. Is tonights episode going to air with this song?

It already aired in Japan.
As for the Simulcast, I hope Funimation got the rights... we'll found in less than an hour.
It sucked so much that we didn't get the last opening.

Jigolo

Not yet, Luffy hasn't even met Sakazuki either. Toei is taking some strange liberties.

It already aired in Japan.
As for the Simulcast, I hope Funimation got the rights... we'll found in less than an hour.
It sucked so much that we didn't get the last opening.

oh god I hope we do get it. Just seeing all that is making me excited as I know what's coming

Luffy vs. Akainu? Sanji vs. Kizaru? What the fuck lol. I actually expect the match ups to go that way but those don't even happen in the manga yet right?

Also damn, Robin's skirt is straight falling off.

ooTsgRD.jpg

That Sanji vs Kizaru part had me flustered. How in the heck could he even touch Kizaru? I know he has
haki
, but he's not THAT strong.

Regardless, I liked the OP. While it did go a little bit far with all the matchups, I enjoyed the song and everything happening. It was weird when Luffy and Blackbeard started talking to each other, that doesn't happen frequently in anime OP's.

.... wait a second! Where are
Kin'emon and Momonosuke
?!

those two are just filler character

not even in the Manga

:p

----------------------------------------------------
I didn't like the song.... also I expected the new OP to be more about the latest arc then fanfiction battles that never happened

but I get it with it being the 15th anniversary

I didn't like the song.... also I expected the new OP to be more about the latest arc then fanfiction battles that never happened

maybe we will have that opening for a very, very long time ;P
Manga readers spoiled!

I wonder what that one little creature was doing under Robin's skirt...

maybe we will have that opening for a very, very long time ;P
Manga readers spoiled!

I wonder what that one little creature was doing under Robin's skirt...

lol Anime only watchers wish they could for once spoil us :p

we will likely get another OP later in the arc seeing as new important things happen later on

BatDan

Yes! The Simulcast has the new opening!
No subtitles which is odd, but I'll take it!

Now I can finally catch up.

I am curious here.... It says in the One Piece wiki that Sanji could use Busoshoku Haki (hardening) but when he was facing Vergo why did he not use it?

Episode 629 – Startling! The Big News Shakes Up the New World!

Slow start to the arc as usual, at least for a manga reader, it was just typical hard to stay focused since no action to really show creative liberties taken by the staff.

New OP has good visuals but the song is just well not something Id go out and buy.

Hands Up has been the best song by a mile since entering new world, this one just has nothing catchy about it.

SykoTech

Oh damn, didn't even know we were getting a new opening. Nice.

Now I don't have to mute the official site and open a YouTube tab! Sayonara, We Go.

Soriku

Lol 629 was funnier than I expected it to be. Luffy's meat thing and Law's "I don't like bread!". Brook farting out of nowhere. lol wut.

Good set-up episode and it's already more interesting than Punk Hazard.

I am curious here.... It says in the One Piece wiki that Sanji could use Busoshoku Haki (hardening) but when he was facing Vergo why did he not use it?

I think sanji was using it but vergo has mastery over armament haki, i'm just assuming both were using haki and vergo's was stronger thus cracking sanji's leg. I read somewhere that oda said luffy would be proficient in conquerors haki, zoro in armament haki, and sanji in observation haki. I don't know how true that is, but sanji nor vergo were going all out so who knows how it would've ended.

I'll take TB over Marineford any day of the week. The whole Amazon Lily through the return is one of my least favorite parts of One Piece.

Top Bottom