• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

So I'm coming up on the end of the Skypia arc (which kind of dragged on a bit.. thankfully the final eps are picking up) and I was wondering about the next pair of arcs, namely the G8 arc and the Davy Back arc. I see that G8 is filler, and I've tried staying filler free thus far with so many eps still left to catch up on. But I've heard it's also some of the best filler in the series, so that has me hesitant to skip it outright.

Then there's the Davy Back arc, which seems to have been undisputedly labeled one of the worst arcs in the series. Would it be bad if I skipped this? I'm so excited to get to the much hyped Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs around the corner, that I might be jumping the gun by wanting to skip it. So is it as bad as people make it out to be?

The way the G8 arc is incorporated you wouldn't know it's filler so I suggest watching it as is. With the Davy Back Fight Arc I suggest starting it and if it drives you crazy after the first two events skip to the 6th and final one, events 3-5 are filler so skip those if you're about to rage quit. Then skip the next batch of filler episodes until you get to the return of foxy filler arc, skip to the second half of the second episode of that arc and watch from that point (it's canon)

Jigolo

So I'm coming up on the end of the Skypia arc (which kind of dragged on a bit.. thankfully the final eps are picking up) and I was wondering about the next pair of arcs, namely the G8 arc and the Davy Back arc. I see that G8 is filler, and I've tried staying filler free thus far with so many eps still left to catch up on. But I've heard it's also some of the best filler in the series, so that has me hesitant to skip it outright.

Then there's the Davy Back arc, which seems to have been undisputedly labeled one of the worst arcs in the series. Would it be bad if I skipped this? I'm so excited to get to the much hyped Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs around the corner, that I might be jumping the gun by wanting to skip it. So is it as bad as people make it out to be?

DUDE!

WATER 7/ ENIES LOBBY I WISH I COULD EXPERIENCE THAT FOR THE FIRST TIME AGAIN

Davy back is awesome because it's so out of this world stupid. Afro Luffy ftw

Acid08

Banned

Skip G8 and events 3-5 of Davey back. Just get to the next real arc man, it's soooooo good.

Cwarrior

Watch G8 it's a fun arc that isn't really noticeable as filler thanks the way it's set up.

First two events of davy back fight arc are cannon, 3rd one is filler but is pretty good filler(roller blades,watch it), 4 & 5 are weak filler(skip) and 6 is cannon then it's followed by rainbow mist(okay)& return of foxy which you should skip till it's switch to cannon half way through the last episode of that.

Overall davy back fight is fun arc and a nice breather from the high stakes serious arcs, has lots of great events & moments and has a great ending.

I absolutely love the Foxy arc. Had some of the best laughs in the series. I don't remember that much hate for it when it was first around. It seems to get a bad rap because of what comes after.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Episode 631

Slooooow first half with
Fujitora
but the second half slightly picked up.

I imagine that the
Colosseum
battles will be heavily extended to avoid overtaking the manga. Especially since there's less than 40 chapters between the two.

Flai

Blahh, I really hate how slow-paced the anime is. If only the anime ran only 6 months every year or something..

Soriku

Yeah the first six minutes of this episode was just the opening + a recap and not much happened till the end. The whole Fujitora scene lasted too long as well.

The way the G8 arc is incorporated you wouldn't know it's filler so I suggest watching it as is. With the Davy Back Fight Arc I suggest starting it and if it drives you crazy after the first two events skip to the 6th and final one, events 3-5 are filler so skip those if you're about to rage quit. Then skip the next batch of filler episodes until you get to the return of foxy filler arc, skip to the second half of the second episode of that arc and watch from that point (it's canon)

DUDE!

WATER 7/ ENIES LOBBY I WISH I COULD EXPERIENCE THAT FOR THE FIRST TIME AGAIN

Davy back is awesome because it's so out of this world stupid. Afro Luffy ftw

Skip G8 and events 3-5 of Davey back. Just get to the next real arc man, it's soooooo good.

Watch G8 it's a fun arc that isn't really noticeable as filler thanks the way it's set up.

First two events of davy back fight arc are cannon, 3rd one is filler but is pretty good filler(roller blades,watch it), 4 & 5 are weak filler(skip) and 6 is cannon then it's followed by rainbow mist(okay)& return of foxy which you should skip till it's switch to cannon half way through the last episode of that.

Overall davy back fight is fun arc and a nice breather from the high stakes serious arcs, has lots of great events & moments and has a great ending.

I absolutely love the Foxy arc. Had some of the best laughs in the series. I don't remember that much hate for it when it was first around. It seems to get a bad rap because of what comes after.
Thanks for the guidance guys! I think I'll just get through the Davy Back recommended eps and save the G8 arc for when I'm all caught up one day.

jbug617

Banned
Collection 9 cover (courtesy of OPP)

7ytUPrQ.png

Man Law would be so pissed off right now if he knew what was happening.
He carefully laid out this plan and the first thing the Straw Hats do is to completely ignore it.

It's great.

SykoTech

Much better than the last week's episode, which felt like absolutely nothing happened outside of the blind guy's power reveal. Gotta love that Sanji centric theme music. I'm also happy to see Franky entering the tornament too. As much as I love Zoro and Sanji, I'm sorta tried of them getting all the fight scenes.

Still really salty that Zoro ended up going against Monet instead of Nami or Robin.

BatDan

Much better than the last week's episode, which felt like absolutely nothing happened outside of the blind guy's power reveal. Gotta love that Sanji centric theme music. I'm also happy to see Franky entering the tornament too. As much as I love Zoro and Sanji, I'm sorta tried of them getting all the fight scenes.

Still really salty that Zoro ended up going against Monet instead of Nami or Robin.

About that.......

Korosenai

Did anybody else pick up the One Piece 3DS game today?

I played it earlier... geez that opening is way tooooo long. Game is fun though once you start getting into some battles.

Did anybody else pick up the One Piece 3DS game today?

I played it earlier... geez that opening is way tooooo long. Game is fun though once you start getting into some battles.

Which one? The one that has horrible reviews and turn-based combat or the really cool one that afaik isn't coming out in the west because logic.

BatDan

I pre-ordered the retail version as I heard it's going to be in very limited quantities. I'll get it within a few days.

Which one? The one that has horrible reviews and turn-based combat or the really cool one that afaik isn't coming out in the west because logic.

Do you mean Unlimited World Red? That's not really an RPG.
Also, it may come out eventually. It only came out in Japan in November, so it will probably take a bit for localization to happen. They probably just want to see how Romance Dawn does before announcing anything.

Korosenai

I wanted to but I was afraid to pick it up after all those mixed impressions. :(
I'm pretty sure it is very limited, so if there is even a chance you'd ever want to play it, i'd buy it now.
Sadly, it's not unlimited world red... but still, it's a one piece game. I'm going to (hopefully) love every second of it.

I pre-ordered the retail version as I heard it's going to be in very limited quantities. I'll get it within a few days.

Also, it may come out eventually. It only came out in Japan in November, so it will probably take a bit for localization to happen. They probably just want to see how Romance Dawn does before announcing anything.
That's the main reason I bought it, to support it and hopefully get unlimited world red localized over here.

What are you talking about? I never said anything about it being an RPG. And hey, the two games have little in common, and why would people buy a bad game to be allowed to buy a good game?

Cavendish got a perfect voice (phi brains Jikukawa even!). Now Im hyped for more just to hear that melodious sound in my ears. Fun episode actin wise.

The scene before the eyecatch was a really strange one to use to run the clock for a minute or two.

Soriku

How is Luffy supposed to keep a low profile with his rubber powers? He's easily identifiable. I mean unless he doesn't use his powers at all.

Also lol the Middle Eastern dude bombed a government institution. And Columbus is part of this shit too?

Jigolo

Luffy looks so bad ass in that photo and even Spandam also looks pretty cool. Man, I remember the first time I saw Gear Second my jaw hit the floor. Poor Blueno

Top Bottom