• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
11lsig5.png

One Piece - Ep 436 - The Showdown Has Come! Luffy's Desperate Last Attack! (SUB)

Shirokun

So I watched up to the "Skypiea" arc of this show(Ep 150?) around five years ago, and although I enjoyed it thoroughly, it ended up falling off of my radar until now. I managed to catch the newest movie recently, and got to remembering how awesome this show was.

Anyway, I've decided I want to continue, but I'm going to read the manga instead. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, I was hoping someone could tell me the volume number where the Skypiea arc starts off(by the Japanese count, preferably)?

Griffith

Banned
Shirokun said:
So I watched up to the "Skypiea" arc of this show(Ep 150?) around five years ago, and although I enjoyed it thoroughly, it ended up falling off of my radar until now. I managed to catch the newest movie recently, and got to remembering how awesome this show was.

Anyway, I've decided I want to continue, but I'm going to read the manga instead. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, I was hoping someone could tell me the volume number where the Skypiea arc starts off(by the Japanese count, preferably)?
Volume 26 is where Skypiea starts.

Anth0ny

So this episode covered 10 and 1/2 pages of chapter 535.

At this pace, it's going to take fucking forever to reach Marineford. I just pray that they're going slow now in order to not fuck up that arc.

grandjedi6

Excellent episode. Probably the best of Impel Down so far. Hopefully next week's keeps up the quality.

Anth0ny said:
So this episode covered 10 and 1/2 pages of chapter 535.
Almost everyone episode for the last 2-3 years now have been going at a "1 chapter = 1 episode" pace. The only reason this episode was less was probably because Toei wanted to end on that cliffhanger. And it went pretty well since they put alot of effort into it and expanded upon the fights (we didn't even see Bon Clay vs Hannibal in the manga). Anyway, based on the upcoming episodes titles, the next episode will be 1.5 chapters to make up for this one ;)

RagnarokX

grandjedi6 said:
Excellent episode. Probably the best of Impel Down so far. Hopefully next week's keeps up the quality.

Almost everyone episode for the last 2-3 years now have been going at a "1 chapter = 1 episode" pace. The only reason this episode was less was probably because Toei wanted to end on that cliffhanger. And it went pretty well since they put alot of effort into it and expanded upon the fights (we didn't even see Bon Clay vs Hannibal in the manga). Anyway, based on the upcoming episodes titles, the next episode will be 1.5 chapters to make up for this one ;)
Eh, it was way too drawn out, imo. They didn't really add any new segments to Luffy's fight, and the scene with Bon Clay and Hannibal was very short. If they wanted to end on this cliffhanger, they could have easily cut out most of the filler from the last episode and put the whole Luffy fight into one episode at better pacing.

Anth0ny

RagnarokX said:
Eh, it was way too drawn out, imo. They didn't really add any new segments to Luffy's fight, and the scene with Bon Clay and Hannibal was very short. If they wanted to end on this cliffhanger, they could have easily cut out most of the filler from the last episode and put the whole Luffy fight into one episode at better pacing.

Huh? The Gomu Gomu no Fuusen thing was completely new, and was an awesome addition I thought.

I didn't think it was that bad of an episode, but I want to get to Marineford really badly. I'm not saying the episodes are bad, but the 1 chapter an episode pace is killing me :lol

Heads up again; last week was another One Piece week for manga fans:

Vol. 29: Skypiea
Vol. 30: Skypiea
Vol. 31: Skypiea
Vol. 32: Davy Back Fight!
Vol. 33: Davy Back Fight!

Next month, we can expect to see the end of the Davy Back Fight and a lot of progress into Water 7, getting us close to Enies Lobby. This crazy release schedule (5 volumes at the beginning of every month) continues until July. It's amazing to see how much of the Skypiea volumes work as setup for the current story arc; I used to think it was a useless standalone back in the day.

Proelite

Even though Bon Clay is homosexual, he is manlier than 99.99999999% of the guys in the one piece universe, and in real life.

Now for my main post.

I designed a one piece ship.

IMG_0004.jpg

HMS (Her Majesty's ship) Ark Royal
Ark Royal is a trimaran dreadnought of the Royal Vickland Loyalist navy. The captain, Nelson Jackson, was an admiral in the Royal Vickland Loyalist navy before the events of the coup d'etat that ousted the teenage queen of Vickland from his throne. Now Ark Royal is the flagship of the Loyalist navy that shelters the Queen, Lisa Beth, who is looking for a means of wresting back the throne from the corrupt Parliament, headed by the evil Prime Minister Bonaparte. All the while they are on the run from the Marines, who entered an arms deal with the New Vickland for advanced steam powered weaponry, vehicles and ships.

Ships stats:
Dead weight: 100,000 tons,
Length: 333 miles
Crew: 1000+
Speed: 33 knots
Firepower: Equivalent to a buster call
Interesting Facts:
The ship can separate into 3 ships capable of individual operation.
The ship has an auxiliary control room at the top of the mast.
The tallest mast has a revolving restaurant, observation deck, and sniper roost in addition to the control room.
The ship has solar panels dotting its hall.
Since Vickland was a pseudo-democratic, advanced country that enjoys a balance between all things, the ship is a representation of balance in many different ways.
The ship has a green house dome behind the phoenix crest at the top of the bridge.
The ship has a internal soldier system not unlike the Thousand Sunny's that holds submarines, amphibious vehicles, fast gunboats, etc. The internal dock is big enough to hold the Thousand Sunny comfortably.

Proelite said:
Even though Bon Clay is homosexual, he is manlier than 99.99999999% of the guys in the one piece universe, and in real life.

Now for my main post.

I designed a one piece ship.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/masterbate/IMG_0004.jpg[IMG]

HMS (Her Majesty's ship) Ark Royal
Ark Royal is a trimaran dreadnought of the Royal Vickland Loyalist navy. The captain, Nelson Jackson, was an admiral in the Royal Vickland Loyalist navy before the events of the coup d'etat that ousted the teenage queen of Vickland from his throne. Now Ark Royal is the flagship of the Loyalist navy that shelters the Queen, Lisa Beth, who is looking for a means of wresting back the throne from the corrupt Parliament, headed by the evil Prime Minister Bonaparte. All the while they are on the run from the Marines, who entered an arms deal with the New Vickland for advanced steam powered weaponry, vehicles and ships.

Ships stats:
Dead weight: 100,000 tons,
Length: 333 miles
Crew: 1000+
Speed: 33 knots
Firepower: Equivalent to a buster call
Interesting Facts:
The ship can separate into 3 ships capable of individual operation.
The ship has an auxiliary control room at the top of the mast.
The tallest mast has a revolving restaurant, observation deck, and sniper roost in addition to the control room.
The ship has solar panels dotting its hall.
Since Vickland was a pseudo-democratic, advanced country that enjoys a balance between all things, the ship is a representation of balance in many different ways.
The ship has a green house dome behind the phoenix crest at the top of the bridge.
The ship has a internal soldier system not unlike the Thousand Sunny's that holds submarines, amphibious vehicles, fast gunboats, etc. The internal dock is big enough to hold the Thousand Sunny comfortably.[/QUOTE]
RP ---> That Way.

In seriousness that's a nice drawing but doesn't fit the series at all. Furthermore, the "story" is Vivi with a big ship.

LaneDS

Hah, perfect image to introduce this episode. Nice going.

I know this isn't the manga thread, but since it was mentioned above, I will at least say I can't wait for that spoilered bit to happen in the anime. What a moment/chapter that was.

LaneDS

Himuro said:
So have they taken out that crappy new intro yet?

Each week I've slowly gone from absolutely hating it to sort of liking it. Given what it shows I suspect we'll see it for most of this year, so embrace the shitty.

I didn't expect Inazuma to be orange and white, although glancing at the wiki shows that he's been colored in at least once in that fashion. And I agree, Ivankov's VA seems appropriate. They should get Tim Curry for the dub, however. Never going to happen, but that'd be all sorts of amazing.

Steroyd

Ah to have a mini backlog of episodes to catch up on.

Inazuma is a woman?!

I've read the manga from her introduction thinking she was a dude, or is she really a dude, or perhaps she was initially a dude? F U PRISON LEVEL 5.5. O_O

Steroyd said:

Inazuma is a woman?!

I've read the manga from her introduction thinking she was a dude, or is she really a dude, or perhaps she was initially a dude? F U PRISON LEVEL 5.5. O_O

Inazuma seems to be able to change her gender at will because of Ivankov's hormones.

Level 5.5 is just weird and I dont much care for it :lol

I did like the various crew lookalikes scattered around the scenes though.

Azure J

God this episode had me and my siblings cracking the fuck up. I think the best part was seeing just how much (justice) Ivankov's character was done. I think my sister put it in better words, "You know he's doing it right, he outgayed Mr.-fucking-2." :lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The impression that I got is that everyone in Newkama is male, the ones that look like women were just made into women by Ivankov at their own request.

Also, man, Ivankov jumping towards that guy and just landing over him, towering, was surprisingly intimidating, maybe something about the art/animation in that scene. Almost seemed ghibli-esque with its "thing that shouldn't be frightening actually unnerving you with its scale and presence" kind of feel.

Luffy D:

grandjedi6

Tathanen said:
The impression that I got is that everyone in Newkama is male, the ones that look like women were just made into women by Ivankov at their own request.

Also, man, Ivankov jumping towards that guy and just landing over him, towering, was surprisingly intimidating, maybe something about the art/animation in that scene. Almost seemed ghibli-esque with its "thing that shouldn't be frightening actually unnerving you with its scale and presence" kind of feel.

Luffy D:
Anyone could have been anything. Males who were originally male, females who were originally female, males turned female, females turned male... that's the point behind Ivankov's new gender comment: since anyone could be any gender, the very idea of gender is pointless so they are all now essentially their own gender; the "New Kamas". Ivankov makes (made?) the comment that its purposely done so that no one knows what gender anyone is.

I really love Ivankov's character. He/She actually blends the genders well enough that I've caught myself refering to him/her as both female and male at different points (without changing appearance at all).

The entire New Kama segment is probably one of the most progressive portrayals of transexuality I've seen from an anime, or even media overall (joking attitude included).

Pimpwerx

AzureJericho said:
God this episode had me and my siblings cracking the fuck up. I think the best part was seeing just how much (justice) Ivankov's character was done. I think my sister put it in better words, "You know he's doing it right, he outgayed Mr.-fucking-2." :lol
Yeah, he's just like I imagined he'd be when I read the manga. Great job again. I don't think the anime's messed up one character yet.

Anyone wondering whether to get into the manga should. You can start both at the same time, and you'll catch up in the manga much faster than you will the anime. One Piece if honestly one of the best stories told. Read it so you're up to date on the events, and then watch them unfold largely intact. Only thing about the anime is that the filler might be the worst ever. It's all been bad except that marine base after Skypiea. PEACE.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Pimpwerx said:
Only thing about the anime is that the filler might be the worst ever.
Not even remotely close. A lot of the filler is really bad, yes, but Naruto has had filler with the main character pissing on girls (not to mention two YEARS in a row worth of filler), and Bleach's filler is some of the longest and most infuriatingly banal crap you can possibly imagine. Sure, it doesn't beat Naruto's two years at once, but a full year here, 3 months there, 6 months there, etc., it all adds up.

I mean, we're talking unspeakably awful stuff here. By comparison with that, much of One Piece's filler is refreshingly tolerable (and, most importantly, SHORT), and the G8 arc is downright good.

Steroyd said:

Inazuma is a woman?!

I thought Inazuma was a man also. The anime sure owned me.

Griffith

Banned
Ballistictiger said:
I thought Inazuma was a man also. The anime sure owned me.
Inazuma can change gender because of Ivankov's hormones. So Inazuma can be male or female, we've seen her as both.

grandjedi6

Its implied that Inazuma was/is originally male as that's the form he spends 95% of his time in and is the form he's most recognized in. In fact, that one episode from before is the only time he is ever shown in his female form and was most likely only done as part of the lead up to the reveal of Ivankov's powers.

JDSN

Banned
I used to think all the newkamas where men since (Manga spoilers)
I thought it was a men only prison, but one of the new Blackbeard pirate is female

NomarTyme said:
Just caught up to one piece manga.... Jesus Christ.
Haha you know. I couldn't be arsed to wait to went ahead and read every one of them, kinda ruined it though as now ill have to wait till the best part of June before its all done :lol

Might force myself not to watch any-more then do it in one big sitting in a month or so

Top Bottom