• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Firestorm said:
I just hit Skypia in the manga. Was Viz too scared to call Enel "God"? I've been seeing "Kami" instead.

It does skip some uncomfortable situations. I actually totally forgot since I already knew what the word meant. :lol

Anth0ny

Firestorm said:
I just hit Skypia in the manga. Was Viz too scared to call Enel "God"? I've been seeing "Kami" instead.

Precisely. I'm reading the same part right now.

"This is Godland, ruled by Kami Eneru!" :lol

Ducarmel

I never read the manga or the anime is it worth it to destroy my social life and binge till i'm caught up or just forget it I missed this train and just take it easy.

Firestorm

Ducaramel, it is so goddamn amazing you need to watch or read it without question.
Crazymoogle said:
It does skip some uncomfortable situations. I actually totally forgot since I already knew what the word meant. :lol
Yeah, knowing what the word means is what's kind of annoying me. Stupid crazy anal people. I'm going to have to put up with it for 5 volumes or so =(

Did 4Kids ever get this far? :lol

Edit: Yeah Anth0ny, I noticed the same inconsistency.

Proelite

Ducarmel said:
I never read the manga or the anime is it worth it to destroy my social life and binge till i'm caught up or just forget it I missed this train and just take it easy.

After you starting reading/watching One Piece, you'll realize that what you were doing in your life up till now was pointless and nothing matters except Luffy's travels with the Strawhats.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Father_Mike said:
No worst one by a long shot. It started off great and went down hill fast.
Really? Thought it was great from the beginning to the end.

Firestorm

Vic said:
Really? Thought it was great from the beginning to the end.
It's the worst for me. I hear the upcoming arc redeems it as some parts of Skypia become important, but yeah, I actually stopped watching for a while during it.

Alabasta >= Water 7 > East Blue > Thriller Bark > Skypia

East Blue is uneven for me as everything before Sanji was terrible and everything starting with Sanji's arc was awesome.

Pimpwerx

Skypiea gets mixed reviews. I enjoyed the adventure and all, but they didn't get a bounty boost afterwards. I think that's what bothered a lot of people. But IMO, it thrust Robin to the fore, as she immediately got an important role in the overall story with the ponyglyph. PEACE.

Firestorm

Pimpwerx said:
Skypiea gets mixed reviews. I enjoyed the adventure and all, but they didn't get a bounty boost afterwards. I think that's what bothered a lot of people. But IMO, it thrust Robin to the fore, as she immediately got an important role in the overall story with the ponyglyph. PEACE.
Well, usually the bounty increase is from the crew doing something that totally upturns one of the foundations of the World Government. In which case, you're right that this is the issue as Skypia felt utterly disconnected from the rest of the story. It felt like a really long filler arc. This is why I think I'll have a better appreciation for it once I find out how it fits in the greater narrative of One Piece.

Proelite said:
After you starting reading/watching One Piece, you'll realize that what you were doing in your life up till now was pointless and nothing matters except Luffy's travels with the Strawhats.
imagine going along with him on these adventures...
one could dream
:D

Pimpwerx

Ducarmel said:
Of course. Like me, you'll only end up throwing away a decade of your life, instead of two. The story is about halfway, so I guess there's another 10 years left in it. But it's definitely worth it. Consistent throughout. That's the hallmark of the manga. PEACE.

Firestorm said:
In which case, you're right that this is the issue as Skypiea felt utterly disconnected from the rest of the story. It felt like a really long filler arc. This is why I think I'll have a better appreciation for it once I find out how it fits in the greater narrative of One Piece.

This used to be my opinion as well, but honestly, Water 7 onward really vindicates the arc and why it was there. All sorts of repercussions as a result of Skypiea that I never would have expected.

It's still nowhere near my favorite arc, but at least now it doesn't feel removable to me either.

Firestorm

And they call him Eneru :( Dammit. I was sad to find out it was Alabasta (I called it Arabasta) and Zolo. Had to re-work my tongue for Alabasta. But Eneru? Feels like something that should definitely be "Enel" =/

Firestorm

Himuro said:
People who dislike Sky Island either aren't male or have zero taste for adventure.

:(
I just think Skypiea is irrelevant that's all. Like a certain video game franchise :)

silverbullet1080 said:
Damn, I haven't heard the dubs, but the japanese OP voices suck ass.
Dude. What the hell? Luffy has the greatest VA I've heard regardless of language. His VA makes the character for me. The rest are also very high quality.

Ferga

silverbullet1080 said:

No way....

The only English dub i like is Goku in all the dragon ball series but other than that, japanese voice actors are great

Anth0ny

Firestorm said:
And they call him Eneru :( Dammit. I was sad to find out it was Alabasta (I called it Arabasta) and Zolo. Had to re-work my tongue for Alabasta. But Eneru? Feels like something that should definitely be "Enel" =/

THANK YOU

I said this very same thing at AP Forums, and everyone snapped at me because "OMG ENEL IS A KAIZOKU FANSUBS THING YOU MORON"

I always thought "ru" was romanized as the letter "l", the same way Buruma -> Bulma, Seru -> Cell etc. I just try to auto-read it as Enel in my head, like Zoro and God.

WTF?

Anth0ny said:
THANK YOU

I said this very same thing at AP Forums, and everyone snapped at me because "OMG ENEL IS A KAIZOKU FANSUBS THING YOU MORON"

I always thought "ru" was romanized as the letter "l", the same way Buruma -> Bulma, Seru -> Cell etc. I just try to auto-read it as Enel in my head, like Zoro and God.

WTF?
Well, to be fair, it totally is a Kaizoku Fansubs thing. That said, that's how I first saw it, so that's the right one as far as I'm concerned, goddamnit. Not the most scientific way of going about it, sure, but I'm like that with most things. First exposure way = correct way.

Firestorm said:
pretty sure it's supposed to be Alabaster

just sayin'

I actually don't care too much about calling him Zolo or whatever, since it's just a matter of how it's romanized. Of course, changing Ace's name to Trace is stupid pointless bullshit

Griffith

Banned
Aaron Strife said:

just sayin'

I actually don't care too much about calling him Zolo or whatever, since it's just a matter of how it's romanized. Of course, changing Ace's name to Trace is stupid pointless bullshit
I never heard about Ace's name change. That was probably a 4kids change right?

Also, yeah it's always supposed to have been Alabasta. It's written in English in the Japanese version here, plus a few more places.

Aaron Strife said:

just sayin'

What....what......Why would they even......what?

Anth0ny

Magnus_Bulla said:
What....what......Why would they even......what?

"Ace is a playing card! Cards are used when playing Poker! One could gamble by playing Poker! Gambling is bad! Change his name!"

maaaan fuck 4kids

Griffith

Banned
Anth0ny said:
"Ace is a playing card! Cards are used when playing Poker! One could gamble by playing Poker! Gambling is bad! Change his name!"

maaaan fuck 4kids

Seriously. Worst thing to ever happen to One Piece.

sd_helmeppo.jpg

sd_sanji1.jpg

And of course.

4kids absolutely destroying any tension this scene had.

Fuck 4kids.

Firestorm

Ferga said:
WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO. RUBBER KNIFE??
And in case you missed it, it was a rubber knife.
You definitely heard it right?
Rubber Knife?
Ok. I just want to make sure you know it's a rubber knife.

Pimpwerx

I tried watching OP years ago. The 4kids version turned me off of it. It wasn't until someone explained the difference to me, and I started watching fansubs that I realized just how much they butchered it. The 4kids version is just way too childish to be watchable. PEACE.

Steroyd

Mikey Jr. said:
Some sort of hammer on a spring?

It's a suction cup gun... yes they replaced bullets with what is essentially mini plungers.

Fortunately whenever One Piece was on Star Trek or some other Sci Fi was on (Parents were 2 steps shy of being pure trekkies), and that meant I never had the chance to ever fully watch a single 4kids episode no matter how much I wanted to, which was ironic given that I used to be able to negotiate them into watching DBZ.

So One Piece was never wrecked in that I never had to sit through the 4kids hack back in the day, thank the lord.

Top Bottom