• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

syoaran

Worst part of being up to date with the manga is the week or two week breaks. With this arc right now its just excruciating to deal with. Wow though on all fronts, really love how the whole story has climaxed to this point.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Himuro beat me but I still have to post this screencap, just cuz:

m90dqc.png

:lol

BobLoblaw

Banned
Great episode. :lol Tonight's episode is the start of one of the most epic battles I've ever seen. There won't be any more boring episodes between now and the end of the year with all of the stuff coming up.

harSon

Banned
I just started the anime a few days ago, I've currently watched 4 episodes so I've 437 left! It's probably going to be something I slowly make my way through alongside other TV Shows and Animes.

ocadman

harSon said:
I just started the anime a few days ago, I've currently watched 4 episodes so I've 437 left! It's probably going to be something I slowly make my way through alongside other TV Shows and Animes.

You have some strong willpower sir. I started watching and was immediately hooked. I caught up in under 2 weeks.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
:lol I was waiting for the over-reaction on finding out about Dragon. :lol
lol! Me too. I was like wtf until he freaked the hell out.

Edit:

ocadman said:
You have some strong willpower sir. I started watching and was immediately hooked. I caught up in under 2 weeks.

WTF? 430+ episodes in under two weeks?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
harSon said:
You won't regret getting into One Piece, I promise ya!

BobLoblaw said:
lol! Me too. I was like wtf until he freaked the hell out.

Edit:

I did the same thing. Not that hard at all if you're on vacation or something. It helps a lot if you skip everything that's not the episode (Opening, Ending, Premise of the show, Recap) because it basically trims the episode down to like 15 or so minutes.

Firestorm

harSon said:
That's what they all say. Wait until it starts getting good though. You'll be marathon-ing it.

This week's episode was great. Much better than the last few.

Oh, and to follow up on a post in this thread a long time ago... my order (well, most of it) is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20139844&postcount=333 :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Easystride said:
Great episode this week. It seemed to have a much better pace than the last few episodes.
That's because it is the first episode in a while that actually covered a full chapter from beginning to end. The last few episodes have messed up the pacing by either doing less than 1 chapter per episode or did half of one and half of another, messing up the manga's pacing.

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
That's because it is the first episode in a while that actually covered a full chapter from beginning to end. The last few episodes have messed up the pacing by either doing less than 1 chapter per episode or did half of one and half of another, messing up the manga's pacing.
Well after this week's Naruto manga chapter it was really nice to see something with good pacing.

ocadman

Himuro said:
What the fuck.

When?

I did this back in 2003/2004 but there was only 100+ episodes then.
BobLoblaw said:

It was at the point where they all got separated. BUT, I skipped all the filler arcs and like watervengeance said, I didn't bother to watch all the openings, endings, etc.

With that said, are any of the filler arcs worth watching? Even though this is One Piece we are talking about, if they are anything like the Naruto and Bleach filler arcs, then they aren't really that good, which is why I skipped them in the first place.

And holy shit @ Tim Curry. I always thought I'd seen Ivankov somewhere before this.

ocadman said:
It was at the point where they all got separated. BUT, I skipped all the filler arcs and like watervengeance said, I didn't bother to watch all the openings, endings, etc.

With that said, are any of the filler arcs worth watching? Even though this is One Piece we are talking about, if they are anything like the Naruto and Bleach filler arcs, then they aren't really that good, which is why I skipped them in the first place.

And holy shit @ Tim Curry. I always thought I'd seen Ivankov somewhere before this.

The G8 arc is awesome. It's the one that takes place immediately after fall down from Skypiea. Ocean's Dream is also good.

Firestorm

ocadman said:

G8 is universally considered to be the best that filler has to offer. The arc right after Skypeia. 196 - 206.

Also, 207 - 219 is the Davy Back Fight and although half of it is filler, and the whole thing is pretty bad, half of it isn't filler. If you skipped it you can go over that.

Steroyd

:lol @ Ivanokov's delayed reaction.

I love how they trolled manga readers and viewers alike on Inazuma this and last week. :D

Proelite

Goddamn, I wish I had the ability to turn all my male friends into hot bitches.

And maybe do some experimenting myself.

I need to catch back up with the anime. I've only seen a few episodes in Impel Down. I knew it would happen also. Every time I catch up with the manga I have a hard time doing one episode a week. If I stop reading the manga, I'm always good with the episodes. :lol

Was there some new music in this episode? I didn't recognize the track playing towards the end of the episode.

Anyways, I'm lookin forward to the sixth voyage this week. The conclusion to the Alabastra arc is excellent; can't wait for Jaya as well.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah, it definitely sounded like some new music during this episode.

Croc's laugh gives me fucking chills. It just embodies an evil laughter.

Firestorm

I'm at Alabasta in the manga and Crocodile appears in the anime.
Coincidence? I think not so.

Zolo just sounds so wrong in my head I've been reading it at Zoro. It's hard to change what I know him as after 5 years or however long I've been watching this show.

I've just start watching OP up to about ep 17, should i look up the filler ep's and skip them or just watch all the way through?

Either way it's going to take months to catch up :lol

Griffith

Banned
DualShadow said:
I've just start watching OP up to about ep 17, should i look up the filler ep's and skip them or just watch all the way through?

I'd say skip the filler. Maybe watch the G8 filler though as I've heard that's good.

DualShadow said:

They aren't that bad actually. G8 is good stuff.

Griffith said:
I'd say skip the filler. Maybe watch the G8 filler though as I've heard that's good.

Ok at this point I'm not entirely sure what G8 is but I'm sure I'll find out :D

I'm enjoying it so far but sometimes the re-cap of the previous ep takes up half the next ep, that's not limited to OP though.

LaneDS

Is it still written as "Zolo" in later volumes of the U.S. print of the manga? I'm about a million volumes behind, and was always hoping they'd say screw it and fix that.

Himuro said:
Zolo, smh.

They should have made is Soro if they had problems with copyright, honestly.

Soro is the name of one of Helmeppo's dogs, apparently? :lol

Anyway, the gist of the Zoro problem is:

a. Zorro is public domain in the US, not necessarily elsewhere
b. Zorro Productions and Sony are nonetheless quite happy to claim trademarks and sue anyone in reach.
c. Even though they would have a good chance of winning a legal dispute, it would be exceedingly expensive to fight it in court.
d. OP has never been as successful as Naruto, so Viz is inclined to stay away from the problem.

He's still 'Zolo' as of the latest Water Seven volumes, but you get used to it.

Himuro said:
Outdated list I made last summer:

Canon:

1-53
61-97
100-130
144-195
207-212
217-219
227-278
284-290
293-316
320-325
337-381
385-405
408-410

Filler:

54-60 - Apis Arc - SKIP
98-99 - Arabasta filler - Decent filler
131 - Chopper filler - Good filler
132 - Nami filler - Good filler
133 - Sanji filler - Decent filler
134 - Usopp filler - Decent filler
135 - Zoro filler - Good filler
136-138 - Goat Island Arc - Decent filler
139-143 - Rainbow Mist Arc - Great filler
196-206 - G-8 Arc - Excellent filler
213-216 - Davy Back Fight filler - SKIP
220-224 - Ocean's Dream - Decent filer
279-283 - Recap - SKIP
291-292 - Boss Luffy filler - decent filler
303 - Boss Luffy filler - Decent filler
317-319 - Post-Water 7 filler - SKIP
326-335 - Ice Hunter arc - Decent filler
336 - Chopperman - SKIP
382-383 - Foxy filler - SKIP
384 - Brooke filler - Decent filler
406-407 - Boss Luffy - Decent filler

Thanks heaps mate! That just saved me a lot of time, much appreciated. :D

Firestorm

Crazymoogle said:
He's still 'Zolo' as of the latest Water Seven volumes, but you get used to it.
Yeah, like I said, my mind automatically processes it as Zoro now anyway. I don't know why I'm so addicted to a manga that I've already seen. I swear, once the entire series is finished, I'll probably have finished the manga, anime, then re-read the manga, then re-watch the anime (maybe dubbed but I <3 Luffy's Japanese voice so much).

It's amazing how much obvious foreshadowing there is in this series. How did I not catch some of this stuff :lol

Firestorm

I know this isn't a manga thread but it's way back so I'll post it: Amazed at this Hachi title panel series. Aside from the brilliance of making it all one long fetch quest, I can't believe he introduced Camie and Pappagu so early! It's only Chapter 195. They have over three entire arcs before they appear in the actual story!

Top Bottom