• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Episode 643

Witness the new Admiral's power!

Oh, he wasn't in the Marine before and got drafted directly into the Admiral position? Weird, I wonder where he's coming from.
But that explains why he wasn't fighting Whitebeard at that time.

I like how everyone can run away from the meteor but Joker and Law just stay there :p

smurfx

get some go again
ibk5IbuayTCx25.gif

SykoTech

Heh. Move over, Madara.

Liking the callbacks to Skypeia. First Bellamy's journey for gold there and now Noland.

And Usopp's face at the end got me good. Reminds me of Wapol.

images

Lmao.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So, pulling a meteorite out of the sky via gravity powers. One-off nonsense attack with no real significance, or hinting at a sub-orbital cloud of debris over the world of One Piece? This isn't Naruto, he didn't summon a meteorite out of nowhere, his power is gravity. He pulled something that was already there. Something he must've already known was there. And something that couldn't possibly have been THAT far away.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So, pulling a meteorite out of the sky via gravity powers. One-off nonsense attack with no real significance, or hinting at a sub-orbital cloud of debris over the world of One Piece? This isn't Naruto, he didn't summon a meteorite out of nowhere, his power is gravity. He pulled something that was already there. Something he must've already known was there. And something that couldn't possibly have been THAT far away.

It could simply be that he put a bunch of them up there to use when he needs to.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It could simply be that he put a bunch of them up there to use when he needs to.

Hm, possible! I was thinking how ridiculous it might be for him to actually have to place them in orbit, but maybe his ability can permanently negate gravity on an object so they just kinda hover at a set height until he needs them.

Hm, possible! I was thinking how ridiculous it might be for him to actually have to place them in orbit, but maybe his ability can permanently negate gravity on an object so they just kinda hover at a set height until he needs them.

Well even w/o his powers they would stay there for quite some while if he can manage to bring them into a stable orbit. But I guess staying "in contact" with the rock via his powers would make more sense as he then actually knows where they are (can you detect a rock via Haki? ;P ). Otherwise it would be quite embarrassing to try a few times :D

On the other hand, his other senses are heightened due to his blindness. btw. I really think he actually knew the ball was landing on white/black and he just wanted to test Luffy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well even w/o his powers they would stay there for quite some while if he can manage to bring them into a stable orbit. But I guess staying "in contact" with the rock via his powers would make more sense as he then actually knows where they are (can you detect a rock via Haki? ;P ). Otherwise it would be quite embarrassing to try a few times :D

On the other hand, his other senses are heightened due to his blindness. btw. I really think he actually knew the ball was landing on white/black and he just wanted to test Luffy.

He doesn't need to know where they are if he throws enough of them up there :lol

He's totally Zatoichi

IHaveIce

Banned

if you think about it he may have cheated with gravity to always win.

But yeah the celestial dragon relation is so damn interesting.
One of the best arcs so far

Soriku

Well there's a sun and moon so meteorites aren't out of place.

I like how in the beginning of E643, Doflamingo says that Caesar is his beloved subordinate and Caesar becomes incredibly happy and loving in Doffy. Caesar you moron, he's using the exact same technique that you used on all of your subordinates.

Currently in the midst of the Enies Lobby/Water 7 arc. Spoilers for anyone also catching up on the series.

Zoro vs T-Bone has to be one of my favorite fights yet, which is funny since it's also one of shortest major fights so far. Everything about it, from the battlefield to the animation was so intense. It's too bad since I sympathized with T-Bone, who truly believes in justice for the world and the shares concern for all of his comrads. Great character.

Blueno vs Luffy was great too, if not annoyingly scattered around 3 episodes. Although I'm a little disappointed that the reveal and explanation for second gear was basically "I decided to get stronger, I saw you guys doing rapid kicks or something", without any insight in its development or any kind of training to discover it. Oh well. It looks really cool. Poor Blueno got the fuck beat out of him.

Jaw dropped at the call back to Little Garden and the elbaf warriors. Insane how stuff is being utilized from so long ago.

Also Wanse is the shittiest lowest point in the arc so far. Only redeeming part was beautiful Wanse.

Looking forward to the rest of the arc. I wonder what devil fruit powers Kalifa and Kaku have obtained!

Raxus

Currently in the midst of the Enies Lobby/Water 7 arc. Spoilers for anyone also catching up on the series.

Zoro vs T-Bone has to be one of my favorite fights yet, which is funny since it's also one of shortest major fights so far. Everything about it, from the battlefield to the animation was so intense. It's too bad since I sympathized with T-Bone, who truly believes in justice for the world and the shares concern for all of his comrads. Great character.

Blueno vs Luffy was great too, if not annoyingly scattered around 3 episodes. Although I'm a little disappointed that the reveal and explanation for second gear was basically "I decided to get stronger, I saw you guys doing rapid kicks or something", without any insight in its development or any kind of training to discover it. Oh well. It looks really cool. Poor Blueno got the fuck beat out of him.

Jaw dropped at the call back to Little Garden and the elbaf warriors. Insane how stuff is being utilized from so long ago.

Also Wanse is the shittiest lowest point in the arc so far. Only redeeming part was beautiful Wanse.

Looking forward to the rest of the arc. I wonder what devil fruit powers Kalifa and Kaku have obtained!

Luffy learned from observing CP9's shave and fit it into the context of his powers. You'll see him talk about it more as the series progresses.

If you like that call back then your mind will be blown at some of the callbacks coming up later in the series.

Oda does that every once in a while. Even in the current arc he did a callback.

Luffy learned from observing CP9's shave and fit it into the context of his powers. You'll see him talk about it more as the series progresses.

If you like that call back then your mind will be blown at some of the callbacks coming up later in the series.

Isn't it also because of the train that he got the ideas for gears?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Although I'm a little disappointed that the reveal and explanation for second gear was basically "I decided to get stronger, I saw you guys doing rapid kicks or something", without any insight in its development or any kind of training to discover it.

This is a recurring theme in One Piece. Barring one specific series of chapters that's really pretty limited, there are no "training" arcs. You never see someone learn a technique, it's always off-panel. I think it's a nice change of pace, sticking to the "plot" and acknowledging that these characters are always trying to better themselves. The first time we usually learn about any technique is when it's used in proper battle.

As for Luffy learning soru, I think the point there is to show just how adaptable he is in battle. The gears themselves he perfected on his own time, but once he gained their abilities his natural adaptability became that much more capable.

Grudy

I've been only reading the manga for the last few years of OP and never felt like watching the anime since I know what's gonna happen. I thought I should start watching again from the new world, sort of as a recap. But dear god the animations are so freaking bad. The whole thing feels so lifeless and kinda of static (showing the same face/picture for a long period of time).

The worst part is when I went to check (Punk Hazard spoilers)
zoro's scene where he cuts down Monet. That was jaw dropping in the manga and probably my favorite scene in the arc. I really hate how they ruined it in the anime >.>

Sorry, had to get this rant off my chest. Makes me sad that my favorite series is getting this treatment :( Hopefully it gets a significant improvement soon.

Raxus

Sorry, had to get this rant off my chest. Makes me sad that my favorite series is getting this treatment :( Hopefully it gets a significant improvement soon.

I dunno what happened. They brought in some new talent and it really shows in the recent arc but man they really didn't spend much on Punk Hazard outside (strangely enough) the Law and Smoker fights.

BHK3

Banned
I've been only reading the manga for the last few years of OP and never felt like watching the anime since I know what's gonna happen. I thought I should start watching again from the new world, sort of as a recap. But dear god the animations are so freaking bad. The whole thing feels so lifeless and kinda of static (showing the same face/picture for a long period of time).

The worst part is when I went to check (Punk Hazard spoilers)
zoro's scene where he cuts down Monet. That was jaw dropping in the manga and probably my favorite scene in the arc. I really hate how they ruined it in the anime >.>

They absolutely butchered
grizzly magnum
in the anime. I gave up the anime before
the timeskip
as I wanted to watch it all before that happened but them ruining things like that just drove me nuts(I know it's a few arcs apart but I can write an essay on what they did to the
marineford arc. I stuck with it since there wasn't much for them to ruin or change in the sabo ace luffy arc
. I still go back to it sometimes to view certain fights and attacks and they all, for lack of a better word, suck...

Grudy

They absolutely butchered
grizzly magnum
in the anime. I gave up the anime before
the timeskip
as I wanted to watch it all before that happened but them ruining things like that just drove me nuts(I know it's a few arcs apart but I can write an essay on what they did to the
marineford arc. I stuck with it since there wasn't much for them to ruin or change in the sabo ace luffy arc
. I still go back to it sometimes to view certain fights and attacks and they all, for lack of a better word, suck...

Marineford still looks 10 times better than the new world crap though, it had some really good animation moments like
Marco's (<3) encounter with Kizaru
. At least the punches and stuff still had an impact feel to them, especially
Whitebeard
. Luffy's punches in the new world feel more fake than cheap TV wrestling.

BHK3

Banned
Marineford still looks 10 times better than the new world crap though, it had some really good animation moments like . At least the punches and stuff still had an impact feel to them, especially [/SPOILER]. Luffy's punches in the new world feel more fake than cheap TV wrestling.

The most random encounters had amazing animation during that arc.

aechris

Punk Hazard was the arc that made me switch from watching the anime to reading the manga the pacing was horrendous in that arc.

Exactly the same here. A buddy and I have been following One Piece since 2000 (previously anime only) and just yesterday he had mentioned how bad it was and how he wasn't enjoying it anymore. I totally agree, and I am pushing him to read the comic because it's so, so much better.

Meh, I haven't experienced any "fatigue" watching One Piece. Only some episodes that have extremely drawn out pacing (with no interesting filler but just repeats of scenes etc.) are annoying.

Manga and anime are completely different media types, I would never start reading INSTEAD of watching the anime. I would miss too much and I would not get the same intensity of the emotional responses (which is also why I try to not get spoiled too much).
Different strokes and all that. Though on that note, I would say the latest episode is a clear example of how the anime can be undoubtedly superior, when you simply look at the visualization of Jora's weird artistic powers.

Exactly the same here. A buddy and I have been following One Piece since 2000 (previously anime only) and just yesterday he had mentioned how bad it was and how he wasn't enjoying it anymore. I totally agree, and I am pushing him to read the comic because it's so, so much better.

The anime is a horrible adaptation IMO of Oda's masterpiece. I wish another animation studio got the rights to one piece.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The anime is a horrible adaptation IMO of Oda's masterpiece. I wish another animation studio got the rights to one piece.

The problem is they're both weekly so the adaptation has to suffer. If they just did an arc at a time after each one was over the pacing would be much better. Sadly there's not as much money in that.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
finally got into OP thanks to Toonami. Toonami started at the amnesia filler, which occurs before davy black, and is now at the flooding of Water 7.

Manga wise, I started from the beginning, and am currently at Davy Black, so between the manga and anime, I've been exposed to everything canon from start through water 7.

Going to continue to catch up with the manga and then start the anime from the beginning (while continuing to watch it on Toonami as well, of course).

Crocodile > Arlong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Don Krieg >>>>>> Enel > Kuro > Wapol > Buggy

Acid08

Banned
finally got into OP thanks to Toonami. Toonami started at the amnesia filler, which occurs before davy black, and is now at the flooding of Water 7.

Manga wise, I started from the beginning, and am currently at Davy Black, so between the manga and anime, I've been exposed to everything canon from start through water 7.

Going to continue to catch up with the manga and then start the anime from the beginning (while continuing to watch it on Toonami as well, of course).

Crocodile > Arlong >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Don Krieg >>>>>> Enel > Kuro > Wapol > Buggy
Buggy stays losing.

Korosenai

Don Krieg over Enel?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The problem is they're both weekly so the adaptation has to suffer. If they just did an arc at a time after each one was over the pacing would be much better. Sadly there's not as much money in that.

One Piece is a massive moneymaker for Toei. They're not going to sacrifice merch and money so fans could have a quality adaptation.

While a One Piece Kai would be nice, I'm more interested in a full animated reboot from a different studio. Like Madhouse or Trigger. Each season would be an arc.

I agree, but in the recent years it only got worse IMO Fishman's Island was just terrible how long it was

That's the biggest issue with the 1:1 pacing.
In the manga, Fishman Island isn't too bad. A bit disjointed but still well-paced (especially on re-reads). In the anime, it's a draaaag.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
If you are rating them in terms of strength, this is all wrong.

Obviously.

I'm talking as villians. I just didn't enjoy Skypiea that much, though it could be because the high of alabasta was just too much to overcome... not to mention oda teased us with glimpses of the World Leaders and several other characters right before Skypiea, which felt like canon filler.

(Enel and Crocodile are the most broken characters listed.)

Raxus

Obviously.

I'm talking as villians. I just didn't enjoy Skypiea that much, though it could be because the high of alabasta was just too much to overcome... not to mention oda teased us with glimpses of the World Leaders and several other characters right before Skypiea, which felt like canon filler.

Trying to dance around spoilers, Skypia is anything but filler.

Think of it as the long con arc. It continues to pay off the further you get into the series.

BatDan

Trying to dance around spoilers, Skypia is anything but filler.

Think of it as the long con arc. It continues to pay off the further you get into the series.

Exactly this.
It plants seeds to set up elements of future arcs.
The ship getting fixed mysteriously, the Poneglyph Robin finds, Eneru's Mantra, the gold the Straw Hats take, it all pays off in various ways.

I get the feeling Fishman Island is going to be one of these arcs.

Obviously.

As villains? Then Enel should be in the top imo. He's not only the most powerful but also the most evil by far. Might even be the most evil character in the whole series to date; but it's hard to tell considering how many purely evil characters there are.

Well, that one of the weapons of mass destruction is there is definitely something which will be brought up later, but what else are you thinking of?

BatDan

As villains? Then Enel should be in the top imo. He's not only the most powerful but also the most evil by far. Might even be the most evil character in the whole series to date; but it's hard to tell considering how many purely evil characters there are.

Well, that one of the weapons of mass destruction is there is definitely something which will be brought up later, but what else are you thinking of?

There's the Ark, and its true purpose.
There's info about "Joy Boy", and the person that will show the Mermaid Princess the world (Otohime mentioned him in the flashback).
And there's also the Reverie

There's info about "Joy Boy", and the person that will show the Mermaid Princess the world (Otohime mentioned him in the flashback).

Plus the vision of Luffy somehow destroying the whole Kingdom in the future (queue that theory about combining the oceans etc.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Exactly this.
It plants seeds to set up elements of future arcs.
The ship getting fixed mysteriously, the Poneglyph Robin finds, Eneru's Mantra, the gold the Straw Hats take, it all pays off in various ways.

Yup. It's one of those arcs that seems to pay off more and more the further we get into the series.

Plus the vision of Luffy somehow destroying the whole Kingdom in the future (queue that theory about combining the oceans etc.)

Ah, right right, all goods points. Yeah, a lot of this adds into the "Will Of D"-theory. I think some of this will be brought back towards the absolute final saga of the manga.

Doflamingo takes that prize 100% this arc.

Well, I don't know...
Enel was about to murder everyone in his entire kingdom just for shits and giggles, and then fly off to the moon (the latter of which he actually accomplished). Doflamingo corrupted his land by ruining the kings name (much like Crocodile), rules everything drug and weapons related and also does not much care about his population living, but he's not close to Enel levels.

Top Bottom