• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

aechris

The problem is they're both weekly so the adaptation has to suffer. If they just did an arc at a time after each one was over the pacing would be much better. Sadly there's not as much money in that.

I'd much rather they do filler arcs in between canon to pad it out so I can ignore them. That way I can rewatch older stuff. As it is, I am never re-watching anything (outside Sabaody) past Water 7 ever again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd much rather they do filler arcs in between canon to pad it out so I can ignore them. That way I can rewatch older stuff. As it is, I am never re-watching anything (outside Sabaody) past Water 7 ever again.

The problem there is they have no idea what's going to be relevant later so they don't know what they can use and what they can't. If they did a lot of filler they'd run into the same problems Bleach did.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
They should do more of those "Boss Luffy" episodes
Or "Chopperman"
Really, the filler arcs should be silly AU stories like that.

789shadow

Banned
Well, I don't know...
Enel was about to murder everyone in his entire kingdom just for shits and giggles, and then fly off to the moon (the latter of which he actually accomplished). Doflamingo corrupted his land by ruining the kings name (much like Crocodile), rules everything drug and weapons related and also does not much care about his population living, but he's not close to Enel levels.
Just wait until this arc is over.

jbug617

Banned
On the Unofficial One Piece Podcast they had the One Piece Brand Manage from Funimation on and he dropped some info during a Q and A session.

1. Season 6 DVD release is delayed because they are working on Film Z (working to get both out by the end of September). Also Film Z will have Avril Lavigne songs
2. They are trying to get the unlicensed movies (especially Movie 6) over here and if they get the license they would do a multi-film release like they did with Dragon Ball Z movie packs.
3. Collection 10 will be out later this year. Should be announced in a next couple of months
4. Not sure of One Piece on Netflix and it doesn't seem like something they are actively trying to do.
5. Looked into doing a bigger boxsets (premium release with mutliple collections in it) but they didn't have enough resources to look into it last year. They are actively looking into it

http://onepiecepodcast.com/podcast-episodes/2014/05/episode-317-the-doflamingo-show-josh-kocurek/

BatDan

On the Unofficial One Piece Podcast they had the One Piece Brand Manage from Funimation on and he dropped some info.

1. Season 6 DVD release is delayed because they are working on Film Z (working to get both out by the end of September). Also Film Z will have Avril Lavigne songs
2. They are trying to get the unlicensed movies over here and if they get the license they would do a multi-film release
3. Collection 10 should be coming out pretty soon (next couple of months)

http://onepiecepodcast.com/podcast-episodes/2014/05/episode-317-the-doflamingo-show-josh-kocurek/

They're keeping the Lavigne songs?
They couldn't get Mirai Kokai or Hands Up but they got freaking Avril Lavigne. Blaaaaah.

At least they're working on getting the other movies. Come on Baron Omatsuri!

Past the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, what is there to look forward to? I'm afraid that I'm watching the peak of the show right now. What are the low points I should brace myself for? I'm seeing a lot of Fishmen island being mentioned.

BatDan

Past the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, what is there to look forward to? I'm afraid that I'm watching the peak of the show right now. What are the low points I should brace myself for? I'm seeing a lot of Fishmen island being mentioned.

Read the manga. From this point on, the series uses 1:1 pacing where 1 episode = 1 chapter. As opposed to 1 episodes = 2-3 chapters. In fact, late Enies Lobby episodes started doing that.

jbug617

Banned

For me just Fishman Island. I do like the ending of the arc though.

Read the manga. From this point on, the series uses 1:1 pacing where 1 episode = 1 chapter. As opposed to 1 episodes = 2-3 chapters. In fact, late Enies Lobby episodes started doing that.

That's a shame, the gf and I have made a habit of marathoning 3-4 eps at a time. Feels like more of an event than quietly reading the manga.

For me just Fishman Island. I do like the ending of the arc though.

That's good to hear. Skypia's final episodes starting from Noland's backstory redeemed the arc for me.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's a shame, the gf and I have made a habit of marathoning 3-4 eps at a time. Feels like more of an event than quietly reading the manga.

That's good to hear. Skypia's final episodes starting from Noland's backstory redeemed the arc for me.

When people talk about low points they're generally comparing weaker arcs to the amazballs ones. There's no real bad arcs.

BatDan

When people talk about low points they're generally comparing weaker arcs to the amazballs ones. There's no real bad arcs.

Pretty much this.
Even Fishman Island has some really awesome moments.

Oh, another thing that matters in Fishman Island (current manga spoilers) is
the introduction of Koala, who shows up as an adult in Dressrosa in the Revolutionary Army.

So yeah, every arc is important. Except DBF...

Literally the only bad arc is the davy back fight, fishman island is like 200+ episodes away from where you are right now

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pretty much this.
Even Fishman Island has some really awesome moments.

Oh, another thing that matters in Fishman Island (current manga spoilers) is
the introduction of Koala, who shows up as an adult in Dressrosa in the Revolutionary Army.

So yeah, every arc is important. Except DBF...

Fishman Island is probably going to be like Skypeia, paying off more and more the further into the story we get.

No way that's the peak. What's the arc after Enies Lobby? Thriller Bark, right? That arc is amazing. So atmospheric. And then there's Impel Down, The War, Sabaody, Punk Hazard, Dressrosa -- loads of great arcs. Whoever said Enies Lobby is the peak is nuts.

dani_dc

To be honest, Sabaody arc and everything that follows it are some of my favourite One Piece arcs (can't be more descriptive than that without going into spoilers).

It might not be as bad while binge watching, but watching it weekly become really unpleasent to me, which lead me to switch to the manga.

I do think that Impel Down in particular was just outright ruined by the anime pacing (it actually has more anime episodes than manga chapters).

SykoTech

Just keeping watching the anime and don't bother with the manga until you've caught all the way up and are really eager to see what happens next. Manga people are probably going to give me shit for saying that, but I think that's the best way for you and your gf to experience One Piece together. Blowing through manga chapters quickly and quietly would not be nearly as fun.

Also, although Water 7/Enies Lobby is probably my favorite arc, it's not the best in a "it's all downhill from here" sense. There's still a ton of really cool things in store and, depending on your opinions, you and your gf might find them to be better than Water 7/Enies Lobby. I can think of 2 arcs in particular that I personally think are on par with it: Sabaody Archipelago and....well, it might be best not to mention the name of the other one so you two can go in completely fresh. You'll know it when you get there.

Make sure to use a filler guide though.

Jigolo

Just keeping watching the anime and don't bother with the manga until you've caught all the way up and are really eager to see what happens next. Manga people are probably going to give me shit for saying that, but I think that's the best way for you and your gf to experience One Piece together. Blowing through manga chapters quickly and quietly would not be nearly as fun.

Also, although Water 7/Enies Lobby is probably my favorite arc, it's not the best in a "it's all downhill from here" sense. There's still a ton of really cool things in store and, depending on your opinions, you and your gf might find them to be better than Water 7/Enies Lobby. I can think of 2 arcs in particular that I personally think are on par with it: Sabaody Archipelago and....well, it might be best not to mention the name of the other one so you two can go in completely fresh. You'll know it when you get there.

Make sure to use a filler guide though.

As a manga reader that only started reading during the Punk hazard, LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

Since I only started watching One Piece in 2012 I had over 500 episodes in a row to watch and I enjoyed the ride so damn much. It felt like an adventure. Makes me wish the One Piece anime was done when I started so I could just marathon threw the whole thing. But at the current pace it's been going ever since the beginning of the new world has been horrible.

I also recommend getting all the way caught up in the anime before starting the manga.

aechris

I think that's the best way for you and your gf to experience One Piece together. Blowing through manga chapters quickly and quietly would not be nearly as fun.

My wife and I sit beside each other and read out loud each new chapter. We can talk about what happening as it's happening and it's great!

Maybe we find a middle ground and say watch until you start hating One Piece then switch to the comic? Happened to me when
Robin was crossing the bridge with Spandam, at the start of Thriller Bark, Gray Terminal, all of Fishman and most of Punk Hazard
. There have been good times in between for sure, and I've been watching the anime week to week since forever, but it's SO SLOW sometimes.

Now we read the new chap and watch the show to see how they handled things. I'm enjoying that much more.

Enies Lobby is one of my peaks. Sabaody and Thriller are right behind it though. Sadly I didn't like Impel or the War even during the manga. But I also really enjoy the Davy Back Fight because it's just straight up comedy and it's hilarious.

Enies Lobby is one of my peaks. Sabaody and Thriller are right behind it though. Sadly I didn't like Impel or the War even during the manga. But I also really enjoy the Davy Back Fight because it's just straight up comedy and it's hilarious.

Enies Lobby is definitely the best arc of the series so far. Sabaody was great too, but I also really liked the Impel Down and War arcs. Thriller Bark is my least favorite. IMO the current arc is the best one we've had in a while.

Loco4Coco

Caught up with the current One Piece episodes, love the guy with the cactus hat! lol

Also does Fujitora have a Devil fruit or is it his sword that has it?

Raxus

Caught up with the current One Piece episodes, love the guy with the cactus hat! lol

Also does Fujitora have a Devil fruit or is it his sword that has it?

He ate a devil fruit. Seems he controls his ability with the help of his blade ala law.

Tizoc

My biggest issue with the anime is its slow pace.

Feel like re-reading Water 7 and E. Lobby again, those arc had such FEELS.
SUCH FEELS!
Luffy vs. Usopp, SOGEKING, Merry!

Soriku

Why would they use Conqueror's Haki though? Does it somehow boost their already Haki-imbued attack?

I wasn't sure but I don't think they used Conqueror's Haki (though it looked like it). I think the force of their punches was so awesome it knocked everyone out. Either that or two Conqueror's Haki users going at it made their punches release Conqueror's Haki subconsciously when they made contact.

BatDan

Newsflash: After the next chapter, Oda will be taking two weeks off for a scheduled hospital visit.

I wonder what the anime is going to do.

Jigolo

I really feel bad for Oda, his health is deteriorating. I wouldn't mind him to go on hiatus for 3 months until he feels well enough to write and draw.

Dat webm showcases why I love OP. It's classic OP when you hurt one of the strawhats friends they fuck you up big time.

Top Bottom