• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Are they really that pressed for time that they can't manage a two week break? :/

The latest episode covered Chapter 716.
The latest chapter is 749.
Kind of a small gap.

Oh, turns out the two week break is due to Oda getting his tonsils removed, so it is in fact a follow-up to the last two week break he had.

Soriku

The latest episode covered Chapter 716.
The latest chapter is 749.
Kind of a small gap.

Oh, turns out the two week break is due to Oda getting his tonsils removed, so it is in fact a follow-up to the last two week break he had.

How far in advance do they animate?

789shadow

Banned
They usually like to be around 40 chapters in the manga. I wouldn't be surprised if during or after dressrosa we get a filler arc or two to allow some padding with Oda (deservedly) taking more breaks.
I don't think they'll be able to do that, depending on the ending of the arc.

I don't think they'll be able to do that, depending on the ending of the arc.

If they were smart they would do arcs not in continuity. Give me some more Boss Luffy episodes. They should just have some fun. Put the One Piece universe way into the future, make a sci-fi short, Toei should just break out of the typical anime-filler mode and have fun so it doesn't mess up the story because Dressrosa doesn't look like a self-contained arc.

BatDan

Episode 648

More Dwarf fun.
By the way, there's a mistranslation with one of the Dwarf names. The one called "Cub" is supposed to be "Kabu", his DF power is the Bug Bug Fruit Rhinoceros Beetle Model, or "Kabutomushi" in Japanese. Oops.
At least these subs get "Shambles" correct. No idea what Stephen is thinking with "Chambres".

Episode 648

More Dwarf fun.
By the way, there's a mistranslation with one of the Dwarf names. The one called "Cub" is supposed to be "Kabu", his DF power is the Bug Bug Fruit Rhinoceros Beetle Model, or "Kabutomushi" in Japanese. Oops.
At least these subs get "Shambles" correct. No idea what Stephen is thinking with "Chambres".

Sometimes it's weird how specific a kind of DF can be. Like, is there a fruit for every single bug/bird etc. species?

Almost 7 minutes of intro, but then it went fast and suddenly everyone is at the secret base.

Considering Law isn't using his Room DF against Flamingo... does it not work if you have strong Haki or whatever? So far it was shown that if you're in his room, he can do anything he wants with you, but not that certain persons are immune even if they are standing in that area.

Soriku

The past few episodes have been kinda slow. Hoping things pick up soon.

I laughed at the "who did you call a super model?" joke this episode though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So, is the Dressrosa arc as epic as I've read? Or is it just bluff?

Also surprised to see the anime is running so close to the manga. I fear we are close to a filler hell for OP.

BatDan

Sometimes it's weird how specific a kind of DF can be. Like, is there a fruit for every single bug/bird etc. species?

Almost 7 minutes of intro, but then it went fast and suddenly everyone is at the secret base.

Considering Law isn't using his Room DF against Flamingo... does it not work if you have strong Haki or whatever? So far it was shown that if you're in his room, he can do anything he wants with you, but not that certain persons are immune even if they are standing in that area.

It's called the Op Op Fruit
And I'm pretty sure Law is using his Room technique during the fight. Doffy and Issho just have insanely strong Haki and are able to withstand the blows.

To the manga readers, anyone notice the back of Law's coat? It said
Corazon

So, is the Dressrosa arc as epic as I've read? Or is it just bluff?

Also surprised to see the anime is running so close to the manga. I fear we are close to a filler hell for OP.

It's definitely a "shit gets real" arc.
And I doubt a filler hell is going to happen.

BatDan

It was in the episode. His drill. And Luffy brought it back so I wonder what Chinjao's reaction will be.

... I know. I read the manga.
I'm just describing things for the anime-only people. A description of sorts to catch up viewers.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
After catching up on the manga, I'm now watching the anime.

I'm currently at the climax of Alabasta - just finished Chopper/Usopp vs Mr 4 and Miss Merry Christmas yesterday, now at Sanji vs. Mr. 2

I cringed at the bat hit on Usopp, especially the mortal kombat-esque xray imagery of his cracked skull :X

Edit:

"Hang in there! This is nothing serious, Usopp! You just shattered your femur, that's all! You may have busted your nose, your humeri, and your clavicles, *stabs with syringe full of blood* but you lost only a little more blood than should be fatal. Your blood pressure may be at zombie-grade, but there's nothing to worry about!"

EVERYTHING IS FINE - Chopper

jbug617

Banned
Film Z is releasing on 9/30

BqXXwT8IgAEB4UB.png

BatDan

Along with Film Z in September, the official One Piece site has started uploading Season Six (Thriller Bark). Subbed only for now.

We are getting close to closing the gap between now and when the Simulcast started.

SykoTech

Looking forward to hearing Engrish Kizaru.

Also, is Don going to love Luffy now beating him into a preferred appearance a la Sanji and Duval? :p

BatDan

Episode 650

Flashbacks galore! Including Bartolomeo's true intentions, and Rebecca growing up.
EDIT: Well, maybe not the latter part. I thought that would happen since the preview showed... never mind.

SykoTech

Yep, saw Don's gratitude coming.

Bartolomeo tho....lol.

Rebecca seems to be getting setup as the next crew member, but I remain skeptical. Could easily be another gotcha moment like with Jimbei. Also, I'm a little mixed on her possible inclusion. On one hand, I'm liking her character and the crew could stand some more female representation. Especially a female who (supposedly) is the fighting type. But on the other hand, I wouldn't be too thrilled about the crew getting yet another swordsman. I'm not sure what specific role she'd offer either, though I'm sure Oda would have something in mind.

Moaradin

Liked that episode. Loved the callbacks to Loguetown. Rebecca seems like an interesting character and it seems like she'll have a tragic backstory.

Soriku

This was a pretty good episode. Bartolomeo for new crew member. lol at them all chasing after Luffy.

And some interesting stuff with half-naked gladiator Rebecca. Anyway things should be picking up now that the preliminary matches are done.

Jigolo

Yep, saw Don's gratitude coming.

Bartolomeo tho....lol.

Rebecca seems to be getting setup as the next crew member, but I remain skeptical. Could easily be another gotcha moment like with Jimbei. Also, I'm a little mixed on her possible inclusion. On one hand, I'm liking her character and the crew could stand some more female representation. Especially a female who (supposedly) is the fighting type. But on the other hand, I wouldn't be too thrilled about the crew getting yet another swordsman. I'm not sure what specific role she'd offer either, though I'm sure Oda would have something in mind.

do you read the manga?

Yep, Oda has been terrible with his women designs but the anime takes it and cranks it up to 11 at times.

its honestly not that bad in the manga, but yea the anime just eye candies the hell out of it. Its sometimes cringe worthy. Come on One Piece have some class like the old days.

Raxus

It's been a while since we've had one. Wouldn't be surprised if this arc gave us one by the end of it.

Minor manga spoilers since the events haven't transpired yet but
if not this arc than the next one. Jimbei is also going to come back in some way shape or form considering he was in part of the cover stories, wouldn't be surprised if he plays a big role in the eventual Big Mam arc.

Personally I want Jimbei and Bartolmeo as new nakama.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So I just finished episode 126 of the anime (Yes I'm caught up with the manga).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkCa90YLiag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETNoPqYAIPI#t=31m30s

:eek:

I wonder if they paid licensing fees for that um... reenactment. OP villain finales are always so righteous.

Glad I noticed there was a One Piece thread. I've seen the anime up to date, bawled like a small child on a few occasions, and have yet to read the manga. I'm pretty hyped for the coming episodes. Still sad that all we get is essentially a 12-15 minute episode after 8+ minutes of intro/pseudo-intro/recap.

I always just assumed it was going to be Jimbei at some point, he pretty much said yes didn't he? Just had to sort out his deal with Big Mamma.

Top Bottom