• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

That was a pretty cool, but then I've always been a fan of Crocodile, so that probably factored into things. I kind of find it strange they let him keep his giant fucking hand hook, lol. Kinda felt like not a bunch happened though. It felt more like a "dude, shit's about to get real, but we have to set it up first" kind of deal.

LaneDS

Magnus_Bulla said:
That was a pretty cool, but then I've always been a fan of Crocodile, so that probably factored into things. I kind of find it strange they let him keep his giant fucking hand hook, lol. Kinda felt like not a bunch happened though. It felt more like a "dude, shit's about to get real, but we have to set it up first" kind of deal.

The hook thing always cracked me up too. Part of One Piece's absurd charm, I say.

Firestorm said:
Dude. What the hell? Luffy has the greatest VA I've heard regardless of language. His VA makes the character for me. The rest are also very high quality.
He sounds fucking stupid, Usopp too. Sanji sounds OK, yet strangely familiar.

LaneDS said:
The hook thing always cracked me up too. Part of One Piece's absurd charm, I say.
Oh yeah, the character design is quirky as hell; I love it.

silverbullet1080 said:
Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure he's supposed to sound stupid. That's kinda like....the crux of his entire character.

LaneDS

silverbullet1080 said:

Oh man, hating on Luffy's VA? The anime is far from perfect, but I can't imagine them picking a more appropriate voice for Luffy.

Anth0ny

This episode covered up to Chapter 541 pg. 16, but for some reason, skipped most of pg. 14 and 15. They'll be showing up next episode.

A certain pirate and his crew should be showing up next episode as well :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
BobLoblaw said:
Wow. Fantastic episode. Pacing was damn near perfect. :D
Well until the very last bit at least. They had an obvious ending with the action stopping and fading out to a picturesque "to battle" scene, with gun shots being heard over it as if it was meant to occur over the usual "to be continued" image. ....And then it kept on going for 2 more minutes. Its like the animation guys suddenly realized that they still had 2 minutes to kill and so they tacted on another Buggy/Mr.3 semi-filler and a new ending of Croc meeting Mr.1.

silverbullet1080 said:

u-mad___camron.jpg

Was an Ok episode, next couple should be pretty good!

Any News on the film?

Griffith

Banned
Ferga said:
Lol im still catching up on episodes.

A question to people who are catching up, do you skip filler episodes?
Yeah. The only filler I'll probably watch is the G8 arc, as that's generally regarded as the best filler.

Steroyd

Magnus_Bulla said:

Someone needs to photoshop a real 'o meter, because we're going to need it. :D

I hope we get a One Piece Kai at the end of the series to wipe out the filler. The Apis arc still bothers me since it breaks the flow while entering the Grand Line. And even if you skip those episodes you still have that stupid wind guy on the reverse mountain. :lol

Maron

silverbullet1080 said:

Mayumi Tanaka (Luffy's voice actress) was actually who Oda had in mind for the voice of him when he was first making Romance Dawn. And it just happened to be by mere coincidence that she was chosen in the anime, since Oda later said he never even suggested the idea of her auditioning to Toei. :lol

How much have you heard of the Japanese voices, by the way?

Anth0ny said:
The real 'o meter broke a long time ago in the manga :lol

In the current arc, it's been breaking over and over again. :D

Steroyd said:
Someone needs to photoshop a real 'o meter, because we're going to need it. :D
I just hope we get to see something out of Whitebeard here. I mean, we've been listening to everyone describe this man as some kind of God, but so far all we've seen him do is drink a fuckton of sake with Shanks. I wanna see him bust some heads open.

Anth0ny

Magnus_Bulla said:
I just hope we get to see something out of Whitebeard here. I mean, we've been listening to everyone describe this man as some kind of God, but so far all we've seen him do is drink a fuckton of sake with Shanks. I wanna see him bust some heads open.

:lol :lol :lol

:D

Griffith said:
I take it you only watch the anime and don't read the manga right?
Yeah, that is true. There have been times when I considered reading it, but then I always reason that seeing it in color and motion is probably worth the wait between episodes. So clearly I must have inadvertently touched on something that will happen. Ah, ok. I'm interested in seeing this, now.

Griffith

Banned
Magnus_Bulla said:
Yeah, that is true. There have been times when I considered reading it, but then I always reason that seeing it in color and motion is probably worth the wait between episodes. So clearly I must have inadvertently touched on something that will happen. Ah, ok. I'm interested in seeing this, now.
Yeah. I would recommend reading the manga though, it's better than the anime.

grandjedi6

Magnus_Bulla said:
qrkzg0.gif

Look at him. You can just tell he's going to fuck some shit up. His guys just scream "I'm going fuck up you motherfuckers". He's just gonna fuck up your shit like your shit has never been fucked up like before because that's what a motherfucker like him does, he fucks up shit like your fucking shit.

Wait, did you just hear that? Cuz I think he just fucked up your shit.

Griffith said:

Well it seems like I'm going to have to now. My curiosity has be piqued too much to ignore.

...Provided my shit stops being fucked up, anyway.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Griffith said:

NOPE.

Manga's always too fast, man. You can read through a chapter in like 2 minutes and then it's done. WHOOP. There's no time to revel in the events.

Now I'm not arguing for padding and slowly paced anime, just TV over Manga in general. Especially for a show like One Piece, where the voices and music are at least 50% of why I'm engaged in any one scene. And where I love the characters so much that even when it IS all just padding and filler, I still can't get enough of it. That's why I'd never tell someone to skip the filler if they're watching the show from the start. Any story in this universe is worth watching, just for how great the universe and its inhabitants are.

(Okay maybe there are one or two fillers you can skip.)

Griffith

Banned
Tathanen said:
NOPE.

Manga's always too fast, man. You can read through a chapter in like 2 minutes and then it's done. WHOOP. There's no time to revel in the events.

Now I'm not arguing for padding and slowly paced anime, just TV over Manga in general. Especially for a show like One Piece, where the voices and music are at least 50% of why I'm engaged in any one scene. And where I love the characters so much that even when it IS all just padding and filler, I still can't get enough of it. That's why I'd never tell someone to skip the filler if they're watching the show from the start. Any story in this universe is worth watching, just for how great the universe and its inhabitants are.

I love the anime, but it can drag at times. That's just the nature of how these things are when you adapt an ongoing series. I do have a dislike for filler in general though, so that does play into it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

bathala

Banned
must resist from reading the manga.

I like the anime because unlike some long running anime's out there One Piece doesn't have long ass fillers

Anth0ny

Tathanen said:
NOPE.

Well, if you're caught up with the manga, you've got a week between chapters to revel in the events.

I think the manga is better than the anime (mostly due to pacing), but I still love the anime. If I had a dollar for every time I said "FUCK THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME IN THE ANIME" during this current arc, I'd be a rich man.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Tathanen said:
NOPE.

This is the one reason why I don't read the manga. Watching Crocodile and Jinbei fuck up those Impel Down guards last night was freaking awesome. I'm sure there was probably only a couple of panels devoted to it in the manga, but seeing Croc kill those guys in slow mo was so much goodness. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm probably getting a TON of filler in the anime that's not in the manga, but certain things just play out better in motion. Can you honestly tell me this was better in the manga?

Firestorm

Another nitpick with official manga. I always think of East Blue, North Blue, etc. as proper nouns. For some reason they keep using "the East Blue" and "the North Blue" which doesn't make much sense to me.

Also, Skypiea is a lot faster in the manga. Jesus. It felt like forever in the anime. Alabasta length. This feels like nothing compared to that. Maybe because Skypeia was where I caught up to in the anime (K-F subs) and it was when I had to start waiting weekly?
BobLoblaw said:
This is the one reason why I don't read the manga. Watching Crocodile and Jinbei fuck up those Impel Down guards last night was freaking awesome. I'm sure there was probably only a couple of panels devoted to it in the manga, but seeing Croc kill those guys in slow mo was so much goodness. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm probably getting a TON of filler in the anime that's not in the manga, but certain things just play out better in motion. Can you honestly tell me this was better in the manga?
Yeah, I'd recommend watching the anime for your first time. Get the characters' voices, mannerisms, and the music in your brain. Then read through the manga later. I'm really enjoying my manga readthrough right now but I think a lot of it is due to how much I love the anime. That scene is a great example of something I was a little let down by while reading because it couldn't be as well done as it was in the show.

I fucking love that music btw.

Himuro said:
The thing about manga is that is if you're reading a good manga, and have a vivid imagination, you don't need it to be animated...because you animate it within your own head.

It's all about flow. A good comic book artist manages to make a comic flow to the point where you can picture the action flip in your head as if you were watching it on tv.

Oda is really, really good at that.

Well, sometimes.
Personally, I find it really, really hard to follow action scenes in manga =/ One Piece to a lesser extent than Naruto where I have NOOOO fucking clue what happened, but it's still annoying for me.

Griffith

Banned
BobLoblaw said:
Sure, some scenes to play better animated, but even if you prefer to watch the anime, I think it's a mistake to not read the manga, mainly because of the occasional edits and changes the anime makes.

grandjedi6

Tathanen said:
I have never managed to read a One Piece chapter in 2 minutes. In fact, some people complain that One Piece is "too thick" of a read and takes too long to read through (a stupid complaint, but neverless..) And of course a manga/comic book's pacing is in part controlled by the read themselves, so you only go through it as fast as you want.

BobLoblaw said:
Yeah but for every "Walk to Arlong Park" there are 100 scenes in which the anime makes it worse by slowing the pace. This is especially true for when the anime has scenes in which its suppose to be fast, yet the anime slows it to a crawl anyway [Dragonball Z syndrome].

Firestorm said:
Also, Skypiea is a lot faster in the manga. Jesus. It felt like forever in the anime. Alabasta length. This feels like nothing compared to that. Maybe because Skypeia was where I caught up to in the anime (K-F subs) and it was when I had to start waiting weekly?
Thats probably because Skypeia is where the anime first began its 1 chapter per 1 episode pacing.

Firestorm said:
Personally, I find it really, really hard to follow action scenes in manga =/ One Piece to a lesser extent than Naruto where I have NOOOO fucking clue what happened, but it's still annoying for me.
That's because Naruto sucks at scene transitions. Always has, always will. Don't blame the entire medium because of one author's faults.*

*You should probably avoid reading Soul Eater.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
This latest episode had me hyped, I always wondered what's Croc secret was....

His hook looked crazy huge in some scenes lol

RagnarokX

grandjedi6 said:
Yeah but for every "Walk to Arlong Park" there are 100 scenes in which the anime makes it worse by slowing the pace. This is especially true for when the anime has scenes in which its suppose to be fast, yet the anime slows it to a crawl anyway [Dragonball Z syndrome].
Yes, this arc especially has had this problem. In the manga, every chapter was frenzied rush of awesome things happening while Luffy raced through Impel Down. I realize that they have to make 1 chapter fill a full episode, but then they started to not even do that. Starting with the Magellan fight, they started going from half of one chapter to half of another. It's like the animation team thinks they know better than Oda which scenes make better endings. I thought they finally got back on track, but the last two episodes were like that too. Then there's all of the uninteresting filler involving Buggy and Mr 3.

Jimbei's punch in this episode was drawn out for way to long, imo.

bathala

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Jimbei's punch in this episode was drawn out for way to long, imo.
there's a lot of scenes where the scene is just a still picture, or it focuses on a face for too long. (Magellan fight scene)
I wonder if its animation budget and also to stretch the time

Griffith

Banned
bathala said:
there's a lot of scenes where the scene is just a still picture, or it focuses on a face for too long. (Magellan fight scene)
I wonder if its animation budget and also to stretch the time
Hopefully they're saving up the animation budget for the next arc.

grandjedi6

One Piece doesn't 'save up its animation budget'. Instead the biggest determinator of quality is 'who" is in charge of each episode's animation. They have really good ones, good ones, okay ones and some bad ones (they've gotten rid of most of the bad ones though, or learned to adapt to their strengths). The problem is that the animation directors/animators go through a cycle, and although Toei tries to give more important events to better directors, you still end up with some average episodes every 'cycle'. So while I'm sure they'll dig into their group of talented animation directors more often next arc, we aren't going to escape the occasional mediocre episode.

Now what Toei could do to improve quality is to improve the pacing for the next arc by including more manga material per episode. However I am not optimistic about this since its Toei (1 chapter per episode pacing is going to be horrible in the next arc :/ )

Anth0ny

What I'm hoping Toei will do with the next arc is expand on certain fights or events that were merely implied (or not really shown at all) in the manga.

For example, maybe we'll see a bit more of the
Ace/Whitebeard flashback
or the fight between
Croc and Doflamingo
. They've already done this with with the Ace "filler" scene last episode. And I thought it was great when they added the scene of the Newkama guy dressing Croc.

Firestorm

Was in the magazine section checking out the GAF article on GamePro and saw Shounen Jump's April 2010 issue. They're up to this last episode in manga form =o It ended with the "Now we have 2 Warlords" "2? Who's the other one?" part.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Firestorm said:
Was in the magazine section checking out the GAF article on GamePro and saw Shounen Jump's April 2010 issue. They're up to this last episode in manga form =o It ended with the "Now we have 2 Warlords" "2? Who's the other one?" part.
This thread is primarily for the One Piece anime, but the folks in the official manga thread can probably answer that.

grandjedi6

BobLoblaw said:
This thread is primarily for the One Piece anime, but the folks in the official manga thread can probably answer that.
Advisory: Stay away from the manga thread unless you are fully caught up with the japanese releases of the manga. If you are merely staying up to date with the english releases (whether its via Shonen Jump or the volumes themselves) then its probably better to stay in this thread since the anime is still ahead of the English manga.

Firestorm said:
Oh my god I just saw the next episode title @_@
Yeah, even though people are spared the previews will watching the Funimation subs, there isn't anything to be done about Toei's spoiler-y episode titles. Next week's doesn't even attempt to hide the surprise.

Firestorm

I forgot just how amazing the beginning of Water 7 is. The chapter where Luffy chooses to go one-on-one with Aokiji is probably the single best chapter I've read so far. Then after that we get to the parts where Luffy needs to make a decision on the ship and Usopp loses the money.

I can't believe Oda's talent in making a genuinely funny cast of characters who can become serious and evoke such an emotional response from the reader/viewer at the drop of a hat. The man is a GOD.

I have been on such a One Piece kick lately. Can't wait for the next episode.

Top Bottom