• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

tumblr_nczs5htREX1u0vozco1_500.gif

Usoland can't catch a break.

It was very obvious in the anime. In the manga, it was subtle. I remember that week, people were arguing that its not him, calling those who think its him as delusional, etc.

I don't remember that. I remember the hype was real once the spoilers were out. The last page of that chapter basically confirms it all. After that people were just waiting to get a real look.

This episode had some really good character animation.

I've been seeing a spike in more fluid sakuga animation in Dressrosa since the start of the year. I pray this carries on for the rest of the series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Anyone know where I can find a good scan/translation of OP? Naruto is almost over and I'm finally going to really read OP.

At this point, just buy the official volumes and use the Wiki for the correct names/terms.

There are scans, but since One Piece has been running for 17 years they vary greatly in quality.

Well I'm happy that the fighting with Rebecca in that block has come to an end.
My word was it horrendously slow and padded out. Yes. We understand she is fighting but doesn't want to hurt her opponents.

How many episodes was she fighting for?

Too many.

Well I'm happy that the fighting with Rebecca in that block has come to an end.
My word was it horrendously slow and padded out. Yes. We understand she is fighting but doesn't want to hurt her opponents.

How many episodes was she fighting for?

Too many.

When they annoucned there was still 30 people left I was concerned she'd be fighting for a few more episodes!

Magwik

Banned
They really did a decent job with the padding this episode. Which only means the next one will be awful because TOEI is never consistent.

We don't exactly know, it has something to do between the Celestial Dragons and the Will of D and what happened during Void Century.

I imagine it's because he's the son of Dragon.

Will of D or son of the revolutionary Dragon or that he bas DF powers flowing in him and its a general "all df people have demonic blood"

Mh ok so I didn't miss something specific. I was first thinking it's because of the Will of D (will of the Devil?!), but it's weird to single out Luffy like that.
Edited/hidden because I think I got accidentally spoilered from the OP wiki... :
Law has a D.
and a DF ability as well.
I guess being the son of Dragon is more likely then. Maybe the Celestial Dragons see Dragon as a demon because his revolutionary army is pretty much their archenemy (freeing slaves etc). So Doflamingo could have picked up the term during his time with them.

BatDan

Woah, Ian Sinclair had a way broader range than Cho had as Brook/Ryuma

Clickenbeard as Oars is great too

Ian Sinclair is awesome. His range is impressive. Watch Space Dandy 14 for evidence of this (he plays every alternate Dandy),

I saw some people call Oars' voice "weird" but it's exactly like the Japanese. Luffy with a deeper voice.

Cwarrior

Oars is perfect his meant sound like luffy-maybe even dumber, not too sure about gecko moria he sounds good but not good enough the japanese voice actor Katsuhisa Hōki is a god tier voice actor, gecko moria voice is pure Gold can't get enough of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9G80BJr6A

He so god tier you would never know he voiced Both jimbei & gecko moria who both happen to have a fight, voice both character with such range with in the same scene.

Funimation voice acting is actually really good, I have to say the guy who voiced foxy (Jonathan Brooks) absoutly blew me away, far beyond perfect I don't think I've ever been that impressed by an English dub of a japanese character.

op ep666
lol the episode title number makes this perfect, good timeing toei.

Cwarrior

One piece 667 So hard boiled
op_667_franky2_by_aims773-d846kw8.gif

op_667_frankyrockey_by_aims773-d846lqu.gif

Ito Shuuichi animation cut, he normal does special effects animation.

Some super Franky action, really like the filler joke scene like franky hair cannon joke & extended Senior pink jokes.

For a guy that dresses like a baby, Senior pink is so cool, Don flamingo crew is so charismatic.

Raxus

One piece 667 So hard boiled

So some super Franky action, really like the filler joke scene like franky hair cannon joke & extended Senior pink jokes.

For a guy that dresses like a baby Senior pink is so cool, Don flamingo crew is so charismatic.

I look forward to
Peeka's reveal.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's Pica. Don't bring the MP translation in here. lol

Just to clarify a bit on this,
we know it's Pica because these characters all have codenames based on the Spanish names of playing card suits. Those are: Corazón (Hearts), Diamante (Diamonds), Trébol (Clubs), and Pica (Spades).

BatDan

Dub Blackbeard has the laugh

Speaking of laughs: the subtitles in Pirate Warriors 2 are weird about which laughs they "translate".
Moriah's "Ki shi shi shi" is translated as "hee hee hee", but they keep Blackbeard's "Ze ha ha ha"
Unlimited World Red has the same thing with Caesar Clown, going from "Shu ro ro ro" to simply "Shu ho ho ho". I think the Viz translation does the same...

Dub Blackbeard has the laugh

Speaking of laughs: the subtitles in Pirate Warriors 2 are weird about which laughs they "translate".
Moriah's "Ki shi shi shi" is translated as "hee hee hee", but they keep Blackbeard's "Ze ha ha ha"
Unlimited World Red has the same thing with Caesar Clown, going from "Shu ro ro ro" to simply "Shu ho ho ho". I think the Viz translation does the same...

They probably thought that casuals wouldn't understand that "Ki shi shi" and "Shu ro ro" are laughs. Especially if you happen to be playing with sound turned off (or are deaf) and see "Ki shi shi" in the subtitles and had no clue what it meant.

Also I recall Whitebeards laugh sounding nothing like the subtitles.

They probably thought that casuals wouldn't understand that "Ki shi shi" and "Shu ro ro" are laughs. Especially if you happen to be playing with sound turned off (or are deaf) and see "Ki shi shi" in the subtitles and had no clue what it meant.

Also I recall Whitebeards laugh sounding nothing like the subtitles.

The US audience which is unfamiliar with One Piece but is playing Pirate Warriors 2 is an extremely tiny niche that is not worth translating around.

BatDan

What casual audience? Chances are if you're playing Pirate Warriors 2 or Unlimited World Red, you're already a big One Piece fan.

The US audience which is unfamiliar with One Piece but is playing Pirate Warriors 2 is an extremely tiny niche that is not worth translating around.

Exactly this.
Plus, PW2 does have other translation issues. Like Red Hawk is translated as "Fire Pistol" despite the fact that Luffy clearly says "REDDO HAWK" in English.

So I'm a bit late and only just got to watch the latest episode, I'm guessing Sabo is gonna be super strong and use his Haki infused pipe to hopefully beat Burgess with the help of the others.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Started this show a couple weeks ago mainly because Crunchyroll starting putting them up. Up to episode 207 now and its a total blast but man its like a completely different show going from fullscreen to widescreen. Kinda forgot how old this series really was until it hit me like a ton of bricks just now.

demidar

Started this show a couple weeks ago mainly because Crunchyroll starting putting them up. Up to episode 207 now and its a total blast but man its like a completely different show going from fullscreen to widescreen. Kinda forgot how old this series really was until it hit me like a ton of bricks just now.

We've been watching/reading One Piece for so long we sort of forget when it started or how long it's been going.

BatDan

Manga started in 1997
Anime started in 1999
Viz's translation started coming out in 2003
The terrible first dub premiered in 2004
The better second dub premiered in 2007
The simulcast began in 2009

So yeah, there's been a lot of firsts.

Top Bottom