• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Cwarrior

One piece 668

Steve tyler...I mean diamante for Next strawhat!
1558526_10152008712958318_795159547_n.jpg

diamante.png

jdtVWNi.png

Like the rockstar extrance they gave diamante and lucy's game plan to win.

Is anyone else bothered by how choppy the animation is and how bad the art looks recently? I mean it was never the best, but I'm sure the older episodes were a lot better

Is anyone else bothered by how choppy the animation is and how bad the art looks recently? I mean it was never the best, but I'm sure the older episodes were a lot better

If you're talking about the first 100 or so episodes, lol nope. I recently re-watched some them and they haven't aged well.

Diamante's dance entrance looked pretty choppy because I think it was rotoscoped. Not too sure on this one.

Cwarrior

As always how quickly people forget the row of great looking episode with had, with single mixed bag one.

I don't know if it's just me, but that felt like the...lowest budget episode in a while now.

This episode animation director was Shigefumi Shingaki my least liked one not cause his bad or anything, just cause his the boobs guy.

My overall opinon episode

+liked the rockstar entrance very fitting for diamante
+the lucy game plan filler was pretty well thought out a good idea

Animation & Art

+mostly good art specail close ups of character faces(shigefumi normal good at that)
- a few 2 crap quck distant shots
-nothing special in the key animation department
-some scenes were low on inbetweens which is very rare for one piece, it may due to them being understaffed for the episode.

direction was good, art was mostly decent to good, the animation was mediocre.

Next episode seems to be a special boombastic one,

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I still think "Flutter Flutter Fruit" is a better translation for Diamante's power than "Ripple Ripple"

Raxus

Yep. And Toei already used up all the "padding" Oda left for the anime too. Expect it to get rough real soon

Yeah we are reaching the point it is going to be non stop plot oriented stuff with little to no room for padding. The arena stuff allowed for excellent reason to extend chapters but with the final round starting I think we may hit a small filler arc in the future. With Oda's new work schedule expect more and longer filler arcs too. Part of the problem when you do weekly episodes instead of a much better season thing.

At least Oda isn't slowly killing himself making the manga anymore.

Shouldn't have Zoro already cut the stone guy into pieces by using Haki infused sword attacks?
Or is he not attacking the actual body so far but just stone that is moved by Pica?
edit: nvm. Just remembered Viola was mentioning last week that he's not just a stone man, so I guess it's a Paramecia fruit.

btw is Burgess using impact dials inside his armored arm? Or some other tech? I think I saw a bit of steam of something before the shockwave.

BatDan

Episode 671

The entire One Piece run is available on Crunchyroll now (minus the DBZ crossover). I think that's the longest show available on the site.

EDIT: Holy crap previews!

BatDan

Episode 672

While CR now has every episode, they don't have every opening. A lot of openings aren't used. Hopefully this doesn't effect the DVDs.

Oxn

Im sorry but I hate Sugar's power

Its just too OP (harhar)

Imagine all she had to do was touch Whitebeard and he's done for.

Raxus

Whitebeard would no sell that shit because he's fucking Whitebeard.

We also have no clue how Haki would affect the power. It could very well negate the effect ala Law's Shambles if strong enough. That being said her power is more technical than for combat seeing as she relies heavily on minions and her unsuspecting appearance to do half the work for her.

Pretty sure Whitebeard would have turned all of Dressrosa (Doflamingo or not) into rubble if given a chance. Guy was a beast. Really set the standard for how strong an Emperor is.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Im sorry but I hate Sugar's power

Its just too OP (harhar)

Imagine all she had to do was touch Whitebeard and he's done for.
If that was true, then Doflamingo would've just used her against Kaido.

Since the Hobby-Hobby fruit keeps you as a weak little kid forever, it's sorta useless combat fruit unless you had assistance. Hence Trebol. Chances are Sugar's powers are limited to whoever Trebol is strong enough to capture.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Since the Hobby-Hobby fruit keeps you as a weak little kid forever, it's sorta useless combat fruit unless you had assistance. Hence Trebol. Chances are Sugar's powers are limited to whoever Trebol is strong enough to capture.

Plus we don't know how haki affects the transformation. Strong enough haki can counter pretty much anything, from Luffy's invincibility due to his robber body to elemental powers and Law's abilities.

So Robin can't use Haki? (actually I wasn't even aware that she can be attacked via her proxy/clone body parts. Did we ever see someone hurting her that way in a fight?)

Not sure how Haki plays into this considering she can transform strong guys from the tournament. But maybe because they were weakened or something?

Imo, the most OP part of her ability is that ALL people forget about the transformed person. Unless she tells someone about it or she forgets to forbid toys to speak about it, no one would ever know. She could transform the whole world and the diminishing human population would not even worry about it :O

Jaroof

So Robin can't use Haki?
Not that we know of. Luffy said that Zoro and Sanji are the only others in the crew that can use Haki thus far.

Not sure how Haki plays into this considering she can transform strong guys from the tournament. But maybe because they were weakened or something?
I'm sure armament Haki can negate the effect of her power, but it has to be strong enough. The same goes for Bartolomeo. I'm anxious to see who can break through his shield.
Also, it hasn't been confirmed in any way, but I'm sure not all of the fighters in the tournament can use Haki. Most shown have unique abilities, but haven't been shown to use any Haki.

I'm kind of frustrated with now Robin is being portrayed and utilized lately. It has been way too long since she's had a proper fight, and all she seems to be good for these days is standing around and doing nothing. Like, if she could hold down Trebol and Sugar for as long as she did, what was stopping her from remotely disabling Sugar from the beginning? Heck, why didn't she just take her down when she had them both within her grasp? Instead, she put Sugar in a position where she was still able to twist her hand around and touch her.

demidar

I'm kind of frustrated with now Robin is being portrayed and utilized lately. It has been way too long since she's had a proper fight, and all she seems to be good for these days is standing around and doing nothing. Like, if she could hold down Trebol and Sugar for as long as she did, what was stopping her from remotely disabling Sugar from the beginning? Heck, why didn't she just take her down when she had them both within her grasp? Instead, she put Sugar in a position where she was still able to twist her hand around and touch her.

I think writing a good fight for her is really hard. She either curbstomps someone or gets curbstomped. Someone needs to have a power geared specifically towards fighting her to be interesting.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Well Robin's just.. not really a fighter. She CAN fight, sure, but more than anything she's the crew's sole link to the void century and the mythology of the world. I was just re-reading fishman island and she is MIA for the whole friggin thing, until the big melee at the end, just doin her poneglyph dance. She's never been particularly pivotal from a combat standpoint in any post-Enies-Lobby arc. Even her Skypiea fight was just "hey don't fuck with these ruins."

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Well Robin's just.. not really a fighter. She CAN fight, sure, but more than anything she's the crew's sole link to the void century and the mythology of the world. I was just re-reading fishman island and she is MIA for the whole friggin thing, until the big melee at the end, just doin her poneglyph dance. She's never been particularly pivotal from a combat standpoint in any post-Enies-Lobby arc. Even her Skypiea fight was just "hey don't fuck with these ruins."

Honestly her fruit power is so broken that she could win every fight on her own. Gottakeep those power levels relevant I guess.

Oxn

Even the most powerful people in the world are prone to suprise attacks

BatDan

It's been confirmed that Joel McDonald will be playing Kuma in the dub.
Great choice.

Even the most powerful people in the world are prone to suprise attacks

Hmm, are they though? The masters of haki seem to sense danger extremely easily.

But yeah, when Robin first joined the Straw Hats, Usopp was questioning her. His last question was: "what's your specialty", to which she replied "assassination". She was never intended as a combatant/fighter, but really there are so many moments where she could have caught someone off guard and assassinated them.

demidar

Hmm, are they though? The masters of haki seem to sense danger extremely easily.

But yeah, when Robin first joined the Straw Hats, Usopp was questioning her. His last question was: "what's your specialty", to which she replied "assassination". She was never intended as a combatant/fighter, but really there are so many moments where she could have caught someone off guard and assassinated them.

Whitebeard got stabbed by Squardo.

demidar

What's your point? Squardo wasn't seen as an enemy, he was seen as a trusted ally. Also not sure how observation haki works in a battlefield full of powerful enemies; wonder if it would be a cluster of emotions.

My point was he got taken by surprise. Of course he wouldn't suspect a trusted ally, that's why it's so effective and that's why he got caught.

demidar

Of course, but the characters we are discussing are not trusted allies.

Yeah I dunno what the extent of Observation Haki is. I imagine it's something you have to actively engage and you can't keep it up because it's tiring. That way there's an excuse for people to be vulnerable. Or have something like Zetsu from Hunter X Hunter to counter Observation.

Top Bottom