• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Oxn

Yeah I dunno what the extent of Observation Haki is. I imagine it's something you have to actively engage and you can't keep it up because it's tiring. That way there's an excuse for people to be vulnerable. Or have something like Zetsu from Hunter X Hunter to counter Observation.

Yea i dont think its like the spidey sense

You have to have it up first

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Episode 674

Jeez, how long until
Usopp's nightmare face

Checking the chapters, should be about
2-3 episodes, depending on how they pace the Kyros flashback

Banzai

Usopp is still my favorite character. I can't wait for him to finally have another fight / cool moment again. What was his last one, Sogeking? Yeah Okay nothing beats Sogeking.

...but of course we need a flashback next episode...

Only returning due to extreme guilt tripping after running away is not god tier in my book...

You would think he improved on that during his training, but I guess it's just his personality (kinda like Sanji's women thing just got worse :D)

Though to be fair, if he were able to remember Robin, he probably would have stayed.

BatDan

So are we ever going to stop seeing the recap filler at the beginning of the episodes?

Noooooooope. Nope nope nope nope nope.
The show is only 29 chapters behind, this episode covered half (yes half) of 741.
Either launch into a filler arc in the middle (and alienate so many people) or keep things slow.

Either way, Toei kind of fucked themselves

Oxn

Only returning due to extreme guilt tripping after running away is not god tier in my book...

You would think he improved on that during his training, but I guess it's just his personality (kinda like Sanji's women thing just got worse :D)

Though to be fair, if he were able to remember Robin, he probably would have stayed.

Agreed,

and this was such a waste of an episode.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is DBZ style filler.... sigh.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Usopp in the Dressrosa arc. He appeared to have become a little bit braver after the time-skip in Saobody and even on Fishman Island, but now he's over-the-top coward again.

Oxn

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Usopp in the Dressrosa arc. He appeared to have become a little bit braver after the time-skip in Saobody and even on Fishman Island, but now he's over-the-top coward again.

Its crazy

When we met the gang's reunion in Saobody they looked sooo badass like they were invincible, but as time when on they are starting to look weak again like pre-time skip.

Grexeno

Its crazy

When we met the gang's reunion in Saobody they looked sooo badass like they were invincible, but as time when on they are starting to look weak again like pre-time skip.
Oda apparently never actually wanted the characters to change very much.

Patience my children

I'm a manga reader and unless you've seen into the future, Usopp has yet to justify himself. I don't watch the anime so not sure how far they've gotten yet but what I assume they have seen is him being a huge coward and even though he does a few good things coming up it doesn't justify his previous bs.

Nebula

Yeah he's honestly pissing me off. Like really fucking badly. I hate him more than I hate Blackbeard.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Its crazy

They've grown a lot stronger and more capable (and Usopp himself will prove this more than anyone in the episodes to come) but it's not like they're different people. They're also fighting stronger and more capable enemies than they were before.

Raxus

There is definitely "that part" that everyone here is alluding to, but nothing about it negates his frustrating cowardice. Feats don't overwrite personality.

I'd also like to note a big turning point for Usopp was in Water 7. He rejoins the crew in large part to help rescue Robin who he has now forgotten thanks to Sugar's ability.

The series is subtly hinting at 2 things:

1. All of Usopp's lies are slowly turning into reality.
2. Usopp is slowly turning into Noland and we all know how badass he turned out.

Reddit had a nice post about this. Spoiler warning! Just in case

BatDan

The series is subtly hinting at 2 things:

1. All of Usopp's lies are slowly turning into reality.
2. Usopp is slowly turning into Noland and we all know how badass he turned out.

Number 1 has always been one of my favorite recurring gags.
The giant goldfish appeared at Little Garden, with island-sized poop.
Fighting a giant mole (Miss Merry Christmas)
And of course, his army of 8000 men (if recent manga events are anything to go by)
Now to wait for Sniper Island to be an actual real place.

I'd also like to note a big turning point for Usopp was in Water 7. He rejoins the crew in large part to help rescue Robin who he has now forgotten thanks to Sugar's ability.

This I was going to ask about. Does her ability just erase that specific person or also the memories and experiences connected to them? Because the latter would fully fuck up one's personality.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
This I was going to ask about. Does her ability just erase that specific person or also the memories and experiences connected to them? Because the latter would fully fuck up one's personality.
It removes all memories in relation to that person. The people who forgot them will then fill in the blanks that person's erasure created, and while they may notice something is amiss, they are incapable of figuring out the actual fallacy of it all.

For example, the woman and child whose husband was turn into a toy have filled in their memories so that it was always just mother and child. Yet they don't realize the fallacy in how the child couldn't exist without a father at some point. Or how people note how strange the Kyros statue is, and recognize his fighting style, yet are incapable of remembering anything else.

You could see this effect on Usopp too. Once Robin ceased to exist, Usopp notes how strange it is that Sugar wasn't defeated right then and later how weird it was that Franky left Usopp alone to handle her. Indeed, while Usopp was being terrified this entire time, he didn't actually bail out until he believed he was there alone.

As for it affecting someone's personality... There's nothing but crazy fan theories on that.

BatDan

The upcoming 3DS game will have Amiibo support. The Straw Hats dressed as Nintendo characters.

Luffy as Mario or Luigi
Zoro as Link
Nami as Wii Fit Trainer
Usopp as Yoshi
Sanji as Fox
Chopper as Kirby
Robin as Samus
Franky as Donkey Kong
Brook as Marth

Missed opprotunity making Chopper Kirby. He should have been Pikachu. Maybe higher-ups thought "too confusing" (I imagine stupid executives exist in Japan as well).

Even though Usopp gained muscles and learned to survive from giant plant monsters doesn't mean he still isn't afraid of finding big names such as Doflamingo or his subordinates.

SykoTech

I don't mind Usopp acting cowardly, especially since he's up against a Logia type and top executive of the "most evil" Warlord. Just because he beat up some 'roided up fish without trembling doesn't mean a bigger threat won't scare him.

The only problem I have is that Usopp was literally leaving Leo and the others to die. It's not like he left when they were fighting and still stood a chance. He abandoned them after they got burned alive and had a boulder crushed on them. That seemed especially low, since Leo and the others could barely move by that point.

Well, nearly abandoned them to be fair.

Yeah, no shit, but not like this. This was a new low. Look at all past arcs and see how Usopp evolved.

Yeah I agree. Being afraid is his shtick, but it's like he hasn't changed at all since before the time skip.

I don't know if you guys noticed, but almost all of those shining moments for Usopp in earlier arcs involved members of the crew. Usopp always steps up to the plate when Luffy or the other Straw Hats are in danger.
Which is why Robin turning into a toy was so pivotal at that time. And Usopp actually sticking his neck out to aid other people who he just meet is a big character moment for him.

Usopp isn't a selfless character most of the time. He didn't care much about the Tontattas until that scene.

Yeah, no shit, but not like this. This was a new low. Look at all past arcs and see how Usopp evolved.

I'm not seeing it. Like, Usopp certainly evolves as a character and learns he has to overcome his fears, but he never stops being a scardy-cat. And I think Usopp's behavior in Dressrosa is in-line with that.

Yeah I agree. Being afraid is his shtick, but it's like he hasn't changed at all since before the time skip.

Nobody went through a big character change during the timeskip. All the timeskip was meant to do was allow the members of the crew to power up insanely quick in a short amount of real-world times. It wasn't supposed to develop them off-screen.

SolVanderlyn

The timeskip was needed. The Straw Hats were always small time compared to the real superpowers in the world. Marineford basically cemented that fact when Luffy was actually one of the weakest people participating in that war. Without giving them a long time to improve, we'd get another Gear 2 situation where

Only a lazy writer would develop his characters off-screen.
Exactly this happened. The power-ups from Skypiea -> Water 7/Enies Lobby had no build up at all and seemingly came from nowhere. Gears, Sanji's flaming leg, Zoro's Ashura... they all felt so left field. Chopper's was awesome because it had such a basis in what we'd seen already, and it felt plausible. Nami's made sense because of Usopp's dials. Sogeking was a natural progression. The big three, though, were all weirdly out of place. The timeskip prevented something like that happening again. Seperating the Straw Hats helped, too. I think Oda realized he couldn't have them realistically train with the island hopping formula he has going.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The timeskip was needed. The Straw Hats were always small time compared to the real superpowers in the world. Marineford basically cemented that fact when Luffy was actually one of the weakest people participating in that war. Without giving them a long time to improve, we'd get another Gear 2 situation where

Exactly this happened. The power-ups from Skypiea -> Water 7/Enies Lobby had no build up at all and seemingly came from nowhere. Gears, Sanji's flaming leg, Zoro's Ashura... they all felt so left field. Chopper's was awesome because it had such a basis in what we'd seen already, and it felt plausible. Nami's made sense because of Usopp's dials. Sogeking was a natural progression. The big three, though, were all weirdly out of place. The timeskip prevented something like that happening again. Seperating the Straw Hats helped, too. I think Oda realized he couldn't have them realistically train with the island hopping formula he has going.

Power-ups aren't character development, they're power-ups. Character development would be Usopp becoming brave, Nami being selfless with money, or Luffy growing a brain, not a new attack. The two aren't even close to being the same thing.

Y'know, I'm sort of glad that that element of Usopp's character wasn't forwarded too much off-panel. I'm as certain as ever that the Straw Hat fleet will be a thing by the end of this arc. And I think it'd be a very Luffy thing for Luffy to just say fuck it and assign Usopp as 2nd division captain based on his trust in him and testimony from the Colosseum fighters rescued from the factory. Not to mention it'd be yet another one of Usopp's lies coming true and it'd place responsibility on him that would force such character development in potentially compelling ways

SolVanderlyn

Power-ups aren't character development, they're power-ups. Character development would be Usopp becoming brave, Nami being selfless with money, or Luffy growing a brain, not a new attack. The two aren't even close to being the same thing.
I guess I misunderstood the argument being made. I agree with this.

The power-ups in Enies Lobby still seem like poor writing to me, though - one of the very few instances in OP where I got straight up frustrated with the way it was written.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I guess I misunderstood the argument being made. I agree with this.

The power-ups in Enies Lobby still seem like poor writing to me, though - one of the very few instances in OP where I got straight up frustrated with the way it was written.

They're hinted at on the train, but there's not much else. It's one of those situations where had Oda taken the time to show them training it would have messed with the flow of the arc and it wouldn't have added much so I can't say I mind too much. Looking at the arc from a perspective of it's construction, the pacing is far more important than that is in this situation. Had they taken the time out to train we'd definitely complain about that a lot more than this.

Soriku

Nobody went through a big character change during the timeskip. All the timeskip was meant to do was allow the members of the crew to power up insanely quick in a short amount of real-world times. It wasn't supposed to develop them off-screen.

After being stuck on the island he was on for 2 years with man-eating plants, you'd think he'd have a little more confidence.

That would actually be hilarious. Imagine if Blackbeard's entire crew was using tools to fake being top tier, that would just blow my mind.

Huh, I never thought about it. What chapter/part gave you that idea?

In the recent anime episodes his super punch (edit, actually it's his elbow) attack is done with that armored arm and it emits some sort of steam I think. The fish attacking him could have charged the dials up.
It just reminded me of how Usopp was using the dial within his bandaged arm etc., that's all.
Actually, his immense strength would allow him to handle the dials w/o hurting himself though :D

Oh and I didn't mean that they fake their strength but that it could fit with them mirroring the Strawhats. Although that's a nice thought as well, fits Blackbeard's backstabbing and secrecy/planning style.

In the recent anime episodes his super punch (edit, actually it's his elbow) attack is done with that armored arm and it emits some sort of steam I think. The fish attacking him could have charged the dials up.
It just reminded me of how Usopp was using the dial within his bandaged arm etc., that's all.
Actually, his immense strength would allow him to handle the dials w/o hurting himself though :D

Oh and I didn't mean that they fake their strength but that it could fit with them mirroring the Strawhats. Although that's a nice thought as well, fits Blackbeard's backstabbing and secrecy/planning style.

Not sure, don't watch the anime and didn't notice it in the manga. Will keep a look out when I re-read but I wouldn't think so. I think Oda has just more or less dropped dials. Blackbeard agreed that Sky Island exists but who knows if he's actually been there; probably not.

True enough Blackbeard is set up as a mirror of sorts, Strawhat and Blackbeard are presented by Oda as complete opposites yet with major similarities too.

Top Bottom