• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Anyone else disappointed that SABO SPOILER

Sabo got the Mera Mera powers ? I was desperately hoping for something cooler and less predictable to happen.

Sabo acting as 1:1 Ace replacement is not what I wanted out of him ,but oh well

No need to spoil any of that.

At the very least, Sabo seems like he's gonna be a pretty different character. Ace was kind of just a wildcard bent on revenge with huge daddy issues, Sabo's in a position of authority in the revolutionary army, he's got a social conscience, he's gonna be inserting himself here and there with very clear purpose.

Moaradin

I'm definitely very interested though. This is the first time we've seen the same devil fruit power passed on to a different character, correct? Well, aside from Blackbeard but that's a different circumstance :p

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm definitely very interested though. This is the first time we've seen the same devil fruit power passed on to a different character, correct? Well, aside from Blackbeard but that's a different circumstance :p

If we don't count Oda forgetting that he already invented the Kilo Kilo fruit when inventing the the Super Weight fruit, sure!

Anyone else disappointed that SABO SPOILER

Sabo got the Mera Mera powers ? I was desperately hoping for something cooler and less predictable to happen.

Sabo acting as 1:1 Ace replacement is not what I wanted out of him ,but oh well

Who else on the island should have gotten it then?

Less predictable doesn't always mean better. The only person on the island who has a closer connection to Ace is Luffy and his devil fruit quota is already filld.

Honestly, Luffy having both powers would've been so cool.Similar to how BlackBeard himself has two obscenely overpowered Devil Fruits.

Except that would be godawful and make no sense because we still don't know how Blackbeard got a second DF power.

Dugna

Sabo imbues his weapons with fire, Ace did not he just acted like pure fire. Also just because it's a different person using the fruit doesn't change all of its powers. Example being Blackbeard with the Tremor fruit and how he still uses like the exact moves.

If we don't count Oda forgetting that he already invented the Kilo Kilo fruit when inventing the the Super Weight fruit, sure!

Yeah, that was really weird, but the difference is that the Kilo Kilo fruit can turn the user really light too, whereas the Super Weight Fruit can only make you really heavy.

Sabo is part 2's Ace, I wouldn't be surprised if Sabo also dies down the line during the finale of the series and Luffy having learned whatever secret Blackbeard did to have two fruits ends up with Ace/Sabo's fruit so that all 3 characters live on though Luffy.

Yeah, that was really weird, but the difference is that the Kilo Kilo fruit can turn the user really light too, whereas the Super Weight Fruit can only make you really heavy.

Reading the wiki, there seems to be a weight difference as well.
The Kilo Kilo fruit ranges from 1 kg to 10,000 kg while Machvise can get as heavy as 10,000 tons (so 1000x as heavy) and possibly even heavier I guess.

Now give him Issho as a tag team partner :D

StMeph

Playing the mobile Treasure Cruise game makes me want to pick up the manga again, but my main problem with that is always finding my place after a really long break. I don't really want to start from the beginning, but then I have to randomly sift through stuff to find where I was again.

I think it was just after Brooks joining, and they were heading to Fishman Island...

Playing the mobile Treasure Cruise game makes me want to pick up the manga again, but my main problem with that is always finding my place after a really long break. I don't really want to start from the beginning, but then I have to randomly sift through stuff to find where I was again.

I think it was just after Brooks joining, and they were heading to Fishman Island...

I don't get it.

Just write down the chapter you're on? Or are you talking like mentally?

It's been years since I've stopped. I mean that I don't remember the actual chapter and have to go find it.

Lol. Well, Brook joins in book 50, around chapter 490 give or take three chapters, so somewhere around there. If you're not buying the books and is reading online, I'd recommend you to write down the chapter or bookmark it or something.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Who else on the island should have gotten it then?

Less predictable doesn't always mean better. The only person on the island who has a closer connection to Ace is Luffy and his devil fruit quota is already filld.

Except that would be godawful and make no sense because we still don't know how Blackbeard got a second DF power.
Sure we do. blackbeard's flag is a 3 headed chimera.

Sure we do. blackbeard's flag is a 3 headed chimera.

We've talked about this theory many times. I think it's a possibility that he has some sort of power like that, but saying "sure we do" and acting like it's confirmed or that there's proof for it is ridiculous. There's a lot that speaks against it too.

jbug617

Banned
One Piece 684

Of course
Luffy's reason for fighting Doflamingo is food. Still can't get over people's reactions to Pica's voice.

bjork

I didn't see it in the OP, and maybe it has come up earlier in the thread, but I'm gonna ask here to save myself time:

Does anyone here have the One Piece Collection Box One that's on Amazon? I don't see any copies on ebay or anything, and while Amazon has listings for boxes two and three, this one is unavailable. I was curious about whether it even came out at all, and what the quality is like. Never really been one to trust amazon reviews.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I didn't see it in the OP, and maybe it has come up earlier in the thread, but I'm gonna ask here to save myself time:

Does anyone here have the One Piece Collection Box One that's on Amazon? I don't see any copies on ebay or anything, and while Amazon has listings for boxes two and three, this one is unavailable. I was curious about whether it even came out at all, and what the quality is like. Never really been one to trust amazon reviews.

It's the same DVDs as the other sets that have the first 103 episodes.
Volume wise that's Season 1 Volume 1 to Season 2 Volume 4
Collection wise that's the first four Collections
The Wiki has a guide of which DVD has what

At this point, it's easier to get the collections now. Many of the early Voyages are out of print.

Nitpick!
People not dying in OP already cheapens some scenes like Doffy gunning down Law. But Law seems very fit for being severely wounded...; lessens the impact even more.
Maybe he has a secret healing factor :p (I like Luffy's though. Eating!)

Very entertaining clusterfuck currently. It's a bit weird that even people like those ruthless assassins want to help Luffy while the more "normal" but weaker pirates aren't as moved by their savior Usopp. But I guess it's mainly because their egos are so big, they don't feel like they have to fight for their life in Doffy's Battle Royal.

I timed my catch up binge badly. Damnit.

Which is mental, since I last stopped watching over a year ago. And it's still the same arc.

Time to wait for another year. Binging is definitely the way to go, I just blasted through a good 50ish episodes in a couple of days and didn't get bored by it. The filler and pacing is a lot less noticeable if you're not waiting for it every week and have nothing else to do for a few days. Though it might just be because I'm ill and have nothing better to do.

Possible One Piece Movie coming in 2015. Leaked PV. I don't know if it's real or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEIoSkqypAY&feature=youtu.be

I'm going to side with #teamfake. It could be real, but the fact that an amateur could make that video in an afternoon is enough to doubt it. Also, the "NAMI" scream by Luffy really sounds like it's from the Kuma fight; I took a look at the comment section and it seems like others had the same idea.

Grexeno

I'm going to side with #teamfake. It could be real, but the fact that an amateur could make that video in an afternoon is enough to doubt it. Also, the "NAMI" scream by Luffy really sounds like it's from the Kuma fight; I took a look at the comment section and it seems like others had the same idea.
Movie version of Saboady?

jbug617

Banned

One Piece Reddit tweeted this
@OnePieceReddit; It's still unconfirmed but the associated domain was updated/reregistered on 23rd March

One Piece Treasure Cruise made me want to watch One Piece.. but I was like on Episode 92 (When they get to Alabasta) when I stopped last time so I decided to read it.
It'll be a long Journey but I hope it's worth it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece Treasure Cruise made me want to watch One Piece.. but I was like on Episode 92 (When they get to Alabasta) when I stopped last time so I decided to read it.

I'm with Aaronrules, read the manga
If you're going with Viz, use the Wiki as they aren't 100% accurate.

Squishy3

Yeah, reading the manga is fine. Look up some clips of key moments in the anime every once in awhile, as the voice actors and soundtrack are really good, while the animation has been on a decline for a bit.

Magwik

Banned
tumblr_nlyp6n3Dfz1t0ozc5o3_500.gif

Sabo is the realest G

tumblr_nlyp6n3Dfz1t0ozc5o3_500.gif

Sabo is the realest G

oohh I wanna see that fight, the setup looks epic.

off topic but does anyone else find it weird that they put Shanks in Pirate Warriors 3 as a playable character? Sure, technically some of the moves are in the show but I don't think we've ever seen him doing a single attack, at least not after he lost his arm...

off topic but does anyone else find it weird that they put Shanks in Pirate Warriors 3 as a playable character? Sure, technically some of the moves are in the show but I don't think we've ever seen him doing a single attack, at least not after he lost his arm...

This was brought up in some other One Piece thread, and like I said there he's been playable in many One Piece games; at least 15.

Do they give him different made-up moves/powers every time?

Still weird :p

I think he's mostly just a generic swordfighter in most games ;b In Unlimited World Red he has a move where he drinks sake out of a big bowl like he did with his encounter with Whitebeard.

The thing about Pirate Warriors is that most of the moves are canon, but of course there are exceptions. Sabo and Shanks probably have very non-canon movesets.

Top Bottom