• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

I timed my catch up binge badly. Damnit.

Which is mental, since I last stopped watching over a year ago. And it's still the same arc.

Time to wait for another year. Binging is definitely the way to go, I just blasted through a good 50ish episodes in a couple of days and didn't get bored by it. The filler and pacing is a lot less noticeable if you're not waiting for it every week and have nothing else to do for a few days. Though it might just be because I'm ill and have nothing better to do.

Got to agree, especially since I binged through the whole series up till now.

Readjusting myself from here on out i going to be really frustrating

They cornered themselves by not putting enough filler between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa. They're way too close to the manga now. The pacing is ruining one of the best arcs in the series. :(

What if they do something similar to the Chopperman or Boss Luffy episodes. Iirc, those were right in the middle of the Enies Lobby arc

Episode wasn't really bad/boring? Not a lot of repeating or slow scenes as all the side characters got to fight a bit and use their powers vs. the executives, I enjoyed that. Messaging the guys inside the factory will also bring the plot along.
We also got to see what Kin'emo is up to (well, thanks to the preview spoiler), almost forgot about that side plot TBH :p

That being said...
What if they do something similar to the Chopperman or Boss Luffy episodes. Iirc, those were right in the middle of the Enies Lobby arc

Yes please, it has been so long that I would actually look more forward to that than the next canon episode. Just a little self-contained story that can be wrapped up in 3-5 episodes. As they missed the opportunity to do some anime-canon arc, I'm totally fine with some more Boss Luffy or completely different settings (Office Luffy, Space Luffy etc.).

They have the episode ratings though so maybe they say that people don't watch obvious non-canon episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EEIfR1E.gif

Cwarrior

Op690

op690_by_aims773-d8r4w4m.gif

Our true heroes have finally banded together

+last scene with the blue gold scene composition and new soundtrack was cool as hell.
+all dillinger scenes are great along with G-man, adding the layer of strategy to the sulimon fight made it better.

Problem with this episode was it's was just another good episode toei been on all roll lately, No one wants to talk about a good episode they just want a bad one to complain about.

Moaradin

I didn't think it was a bad episode. The main thing that kinda annoys me with this arc sometimes is that since there's so much stuff going on, we keep switching back and forth between perspectives and we barely get any progress in each of them because of that. How many episodes has Luffy been running up and down the mountain now?

And I doubt it's an anime only problem.

Squishy3

I didn't think it was a bad episode. The main thing that kinda annoys me with this arc sometimes is that since there's so much stuff going on, we keep switching back and forth between perspectives and we barely get any progress in each of them because of that. How many episodes has Luffy been running up and down the mountain now?

Yeah, the manga suffers from it too, but it also doesn't take up 17 minutes of your time to do so, since even if you read relatively slow you can finish a chapter a lot quicker.

I just really really hope they do the awesome scenes justice.

Cwarrior

I know what you mean there's like 5 things going on in each episode we get progress on 4 them in a small way instead of focusing on 1 for the whole episode but so far that all seems like setting up for the big events to come.

I checked the manga thread when the chapter hit poster where complaing about the same thing.

Yu Narukami

I haven't watched an anime in ages. Last anime I watched was GTO. I decided to give One Piece a shot, but man over 690 episodes?? I'm going to take years to catch up. Does an episode air every week in Japan? Does it get boring sometimes or is it always interesting? I mean with so many episodes the story needs to be entertaining or else the anime woudn't be still popular. Also, I saw that there are some OVA. When should I watch them? Do they spoiler the main arcs?

Magwik

Banned
I haven't watched an anime in ages. Last anime I watched was GTO. I decided to give One Piece a shot, but man over 690 episodes?? I'm going to take years to catch up. Does an episode air every week in Japan? Does it get boring sometimes or is it always interesting? I mean with so many episodes the story needs to be entertaining or else the anime woudn't be still popular. Also, I saw that there are some OVA. When should I watch them? Do they spoiler the main arcs?
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Arcs
Here's a link to the story arcs that take place. There really isn't much of a guide to follow aside from skipping the ones marked as filler. It does tend to drag on quite a bit in some arcs (thriller bark, fish man island, war arc) but when you get to the longer stuff in sure people can tell you what you could go without seeing to cut the length down.
You don't need to watch any of the movies unless you just want more One Piece I guess.
Aside from that best way to watch it is take it in pieces. You'll catch up by the end of the year depending on how much you stay on it. Just not do what I did and blast through it and watch near 600 episodes in 3 weeks.

They're going to need to put a rather substantive filler arc after the Dressrosa stuff.

And it's going to be the worst case of tonal dissonance ever.

Like has been said many times before on these last few pages: the manga really is a better choice in pretty much every possible regard. But as I understand it the anime was much better during the earlier episodes than it is today, at least. The movies are a mix of non-canon stuff and some stuff based on the canon arcs, and then the latest two movies are written by Oda himself. You can watch the movies when you're all caught up. Only a few of them are worth watching, but definitely do look at Strong World and Film Z eventually.

The anime is really, really strong all the way through Enies Lobby.

Marineford is good, Impel Down has it's moments. Other than that it's pretty mediocre and you can read the manga and catch up much faster. The davy back fight drags on for what feels like forever in the anime.

Squishy3

a CR Guest pass for anybody interested and watching the newer episode this sat.

J96GE8VLSUS
I know you mean well but if you want to give them out for simulcast releases especially One Piece, where HD resolutions aren't available on CR until a bit after the episode comes out at 9:00 PM EST, I'd recommend doing it the day the episode airs, because that guest pass will expire around the time the HD video is available if used today.

No harm no foul, someone is enjoying a CR guest pass and can watch whatever they want now.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The newer episodes are premium though. Also I figured most wouldn't see the post till some friday anyway and use it then so it could be up for sat night.

Except they're not.
I watched last week's the moment it went up and I don't have Premium.

Crunchyroll Adds "One Piece Special Edition (HD)" To Catalog

First 61 episodes available to Premium members tonight, more throughout the month

The newly remastered "Special Edition" episodes will be available exclusively to all Premium members in the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Latin America, with more episodes being added throughout the month. The episodes are the same "remastered edition" episodes that are currently airing in Japan and will begin streaming at 7PM Pacific Time with the East Blue arc and more episodes will be added throughout the month.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-adds-one-piece-special-edition-hd-to-catalog

The first four episodes in the One Piece HD remaster had looked smeared and blurred, I hope these arent the same or else...bleagh.

Dugna

Crunchyroll Adds "One Piece Special Edition (HD)" To Catalog

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-adds-one-piece-special-edition-hd-to-catalog

The first four episodes in the One Piece HD remaster had looked smeared and blurred, I hope these arent the same or else...bleagh.

Hmm....the announcement link doesn't have any comparison pictures. But guessing that the remaster didn't change the art style and such right?

EDIT: Watching the "HD" episodes now, they're ok...looks weird though, still used to 4:3 aspect.

Read the manga instead. As the anime goes on, animation quality and basing drop like a rock. The manga is my personal favorite series, but the anime is just generally a vastly inferior way to experience it

Cwarrior

This whole time skip has been dissapointing fight wise,nothing to do with toei but more ODA, sure The story is still great but the fights aren't anywhere near as good as they use to be thanks to straw hats aka luffy& zoro being Overpowerd making the fights one sided beat downs.

Luffy & zoro are way overpowerd oda needs to nerf those two.

Give me more kyros,franky, godussop,bellamy,barto,dillinger,mr pink,colosum rouges over those two too awesome for there own good duds who need there ass beat.

Even Toei knows one sided beat downs don't make good tv which is why fights like hody jones vs zoro,ceaser vs luffy round 2,law & smoker vs vergo were 10 times better in the anime thanks to them having to spice the fights up with extra fight choreography,action and strategy.

What oda needs to do to the manga
-give nami and rebbec some god damn clothes please
-nerf luffy & zoro give them diffcult fights again like zoro vs mr 1 or luffy vs lucci
-spend more time on fights again (more panels, slow down the pace on fights on indivdual fights)

what toei need to do
-1 year long filler arc to put space between them and the manga
-stop making so much god damn anime if you don't have the resource for it(world trigger,precure,onepiece,sailormoon,dragonballsuper,saintseiya,digmon).

This whole time skip has been dissapointing fight wise,nothing to do with toei but more ODA, sure The story is still great but the fights aren't anywhere near as good as they use to be thanks to straw hats aka luffy& zoro being Overpowerd making the fights one sided beat downs.

Luffy & zoro are way overpowerd oda needs to nerf those two.

Give me more kyros,franky, godussop,bellamy,barto,dillinger,mr pink,colosum rouges over those two too awesome for there own good duds who need there ass beat

Even Toei knows one sided beat downs don't make good tv which why the hody jones vs zoro,ceaser vs luffy round 2,law & smoker vs vergo were 10 times better in the anime thanks to them having to spice the fights up.
Hody Jones vs Zoro (and Luffy for the matter) being extended because it cut down on the point of that arc, which was showing off the fruits of the strawhats training over the 2 year timeskip

Also, Luffy lost to Caesar during their first encounter, and Doflamingo was destroying him before
Law dealt him a serious injury and Luffy went Gear 4, and even then I doubt the fight is over yet

Cwarrior

The fight isn't bad it's that I want to see zoro struggle in a fight, 3 arcs later and his still walking all over his opponents.

In other News this episode was another good episode I just wish zoro wasn't styleing all over pica that easly.

Hody Jones vs Zoro (and Luffy for the matter) being extended because it cut down on the point of that arc, which was showing off the fruits of the strawhats training over the 2 year timeskip

Having Zoro or luffy face someone kind of resistence does't dimish the results of there training.

https://youtu.be/6C8Ir2rV_Wk?t=92

Hody vs zoro- zoro beating hody jones so easly underwater deflated fishmen island of any of it's final fight hype,Toei actually blessed us with a nicely choreographed undwater skirmish with really nice animation and art but fans are too busy being upset toei put some effort into it, instead of giving us some lame anti-climatic quick panel one hit beat down that it was in the manga.

Grexeno

A lot of people got offended that Franky "defeated" Kyuin with a kiss. Even though it was obviously meant to be a joke scene to show that Franky and Senor Pink aren't so different.
I can understand that with the problems One Piece has with female representation recently.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Continuing with my watching of the anime on crunchyroll which I had put on hiatus for a few months (caught up with the manga, though.)

Leave Conis alone, Enel :(

Moaradin

Oh, they fucked up kind of majorly on one scene here.

They show Kyros walking normally as if he has two legs. Toei please.

I noticed that too lol. Probably easier to animate in that scene than make it seem like he was hopping since you couldn't see his legs.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oda screwed the anime team so hard with one-legged Kyros. It's already kinda weird in the manga, but when you have to animate his movement it's like "ha ha... how do we do this."

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Episode 695

Toei is salivating at the current manga chapters. So many opportunities to slow shit down even further.

Okay, not going to lie, the animation was grand this episode. If we had more of that (and faster pacing), then I wouldn't be so hard on the series.

Top Bottom