• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Squishy3

I can't wait for the clean version of the OP, because this needs to be a wallpaper.

e303d33c53.png

Yeah, new opening was very meh, pretty bad even imo.

I can't wait for the clean version of the OP, because this needs to be a wallpaper.

You really want a (reasonably) poorly-drawn lack of detail frame from an anime as a wallpaper? Well, each to their own I suppose. It doesn't look too bad at least.

Cwarrior

I don't want you guys are talking about, the new opening is great for many reasons, go watch it 1080p.

-catchy song that has lyrics match the theme of the show (push through those difficult days aka hard knock days and aiming big), it's sounds like the type song that will grow you the more you hear it.
-visual that match the sound prefectly "heyy lets go"
-gold nuggets everywhere see ussop go after zoro who strolls off to get lost, cavendish alter ego hakibi make an apprecance, ton of support charater shots all the back to drum island arc like dalton& doctorine.
-hint to future characters crozon, some weird dude with a brush

-franky vs senior pink wrestling match makes it a good op alone.
op_15_shida_by_aims773-d8oijez.gif

Everyone looks mondo cool in the opening
animation cut by natoshi shida
op_18_5_by_aims773-d8oim82.jpg

Cool shot of the Don

Lots of great animation in the opening, it's just not your typical one piece opening.

Looks like only Naruto Shippuden got the best OP and Song this round. This One Piece one was just as bad as the previous. Only ASL was the memorable part in this one. Traffy could have done more than run even.

Not sure why some of you are saying the opening is bad. Compared to the usual One Piece opening, this one is pretty good.
Makes me wonder what One Piece openings you would consider to be "good".

If you're comparing it to seasonal anime openings, then, well.... that's just not fair.

Moaradin

Song is OK. I like the animation. I really liked the last OP song but I do welcome a new one. The last OP lasted quite a while.

But that's a great song. I felt it captured the spirit of One Piece perfectly.

But on its own, it's not a very good song. It's catchy and ear-wormy in a negative kind of way.

If I never heard of One Piece before, I could personally see myself listening to Hard Knock Days on occasion than Wake Up.

You said you don't know why some peoples didn't like the OP it's simply because they have a different taste.

And we're discussing our differing tastes to have a deeper understanding why we don't like certain aspects of an opening.
Most people with clashing opinions can usually say what it is about something that doesn't sit well with their particular taste.

I can't believe I said the word "taste" that many times. Blegh.
Let's just leave it at that.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What would they even cut? There's not all that much padding you could trim to make it more palatable.

Look up the "One Pace Project".
It speeds up scenes and cuts out a lot of the fluff.

Though... if I was absolutely loaded, I would work on a deal with Shueisha and Toei to make a Western Animated One Piece series. One with amazing animation and good pacing.

EDIT: A good example of better pacing is cutting down the scene where Kabu calls for the Yellow Kabus. We didn't need 30 seconds of staring.

aechris

What would they even cut? There's not all that much padding you could trim to make it more palatable.

Are you kidding? The anime is a snoozefest. I'd MUCH prefer filler, because I can skip filler on rewatches. They drag this shit out so hard I stopped watching and started reading the manga it got so bad.

Every single scene is like ten times longer in the anime than in the manga. Every punch, every glare, every pause; everything is soooooo sloooooooow. It's honestly become unwatchable for me. Not to mention all the filler they've been adding to every single episode for this entire arc.

Cwarrior

Every single scene is like ten times longer in the anime than in the manga. Every punch, every glare, every pause; everything is soooooo sloooooooow. It's honestly become unwatchable for me. Not to mention all the filler they've been adding to every single episode for this entire arc.

It's an animated adaptation off course it's going to be longer if it was the same length as the manga each episode would be 20 images of manga panels and no in betweens.

So far thanks to the extra scenes(block b &c) & excution of the important scenes I would but dressrossa anime above the manga.

Dressrossa anime > manga

any scenes with the tontta tribe sturggle,God ussop rise,Franky, block b,block C fights, king riku flashback and soldiersan aka the legendary warrior kyros was much better in the anime then it ever was in the manga thanks to excution and fleshing out.

Not forgetting pica's voice.

Law spoke to my heart in the latest episode.

When they were running through all the small fries.

Law: I see no end to this.

Neither do I law. Neither do I.

BatDan

Episode 689

I really wouldn't be surprised if we get a filler arc after this all ends.

Did we really need a filler scene of Bartolomeo pissing on his enemies?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
But that's a great song. I felt it captured the spirit of One Piece perfectly.
So far Hands Up! (or whatever it's called) has been the only timeskip opening I've really liked. But I really liked it.

I can't handle this pace

maybe I should just read the manga again

that scene with sabo was so good though

Not like the manga is paced differently :/

------

Sabo animated claw never gets old, and they made the fire so huge. Im loving his parts of the arc at this point in time. Feels like Oda just spaced some events too far apart in time and space.

Squishy3

Not like the manga is paced differently :/
Yeah, but a manga chapter also doesn't take 24 minutes to read. (And only roughly 17 minutes of it are actually something, the title card doesn't hit until like 6 or 7 minutes in.) There's even less new material if we cut out the flashbacks to events that happened in Dressrosa.

In 24 minutes, you could read three to four One Piece chapters without rushing.

The anime is so close to the manga that the ratio of actual canon chapter content is 3/4.

B-Dex

One Piece gaf. I want opinions on funimation a streaming. I mean it's pretty amazing to have every episode to stream. I noticed a few stutters here and there though.

Oxn

I can't handle this pace

maybe I should just read the manga again

that scene with sabo was so good though

Agreed.

What should be my favorite arc in the entire series is ruined by the pacing. Damn man Doflamingo is one of my favorite villians too. Stop ruining it with this slow shiet.

Cwarrior

Episode 689

I really wouldn't be surprised if we get a filler arc after this all ends.

Did we really need a filler scene of Bartolomeo pissing on his enemies?

Lol didn't even notice that was filler,that scene was very in line & true to bartolomeo character and was quite funny i call that some good filler along with sweet sabo vs fujitora fight scene which was also good filler.

The episode in question was actually good the additional filler scenes barto & sabo fight making it better.

With all the breaks oda taking with manga there going to be forced to take a break sooner or later. I hope toei turn One piece party into filler which they would never do they probably going to make it into a seprate serise like pierrot did rock lee spring tme of youth.

Staff wise one piece is in a good position thanks to returning great directors like Hiroaki Miyamoto,Makoto Sonoda,Ayako Hiraike along with current great like Aya komaki and katsumi tokoro.

B-Dex

Watching thriller bark is painful. I swear 5 mins of progress is made each episode. Half of each is intro/gold roger/recap.

aechris

Watching thriller bark is painful. I swear 5 mins of progress is made each episode. Half of each is intro/gold roger/recap.

Get used to it, brother (or read the manga instead!) Sabaody is amazing and really well paced, everything else from where you are forward is ugghhhh. It even gets worse.

Oxn

Wow this last episode was so boring no one wanted to even link or talk about it.

They are really stretching these episodes out.

They are ruining my favorite Anime.

BatDan

Wow this last episode was so boring no one wanted to even link or talk about it.

They are really stretching these episodes out.

They are ruining my favorite Anime.

Stuff like this really doesn't help either (taken from the manga thread)

8NXDRKA.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They cornered themselves by not putting enough filler between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa. They're way too close to the manga now. The pacing is ruining one of the best arcs in the series. :(

Top Bottom