• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Squalor

I find it really hard to believe Law had no information about Sugar, really hard to believe.

Anyway, I'm not gullible enough to think this is the actual start of the final showdown.

Cwarrior

I hope it's as good as 3D2Y.

here are screens from it
oGzlbBd.jpg

vGe0BUJ.jpg

Looks like it's not all going to be ASL arc but it's going to cover sabo's time in dressrosa before he meet up with luffy from his point of view.

Ace sabo luffy arc is the last arc that needs a remake it's already beautiful.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Episode 698

Funimation has stated they plan to do something special for Episode 700. Some people are speculating it's a one-time Broadcast Dub episode. But that seems like a weird place to do that.

BatDan

Looking at next week's Toonami episode of One Piece, it made me realize there would eventually be another "we screwed ourselves" moment for 4Kids.
Specifically, when they get to Fishman Island and find Fishmen and Merfolk.
See, in Arlong Park, 4Kids called Arlong and his crew "Mermen" not "Fishmen". When we see Neptune and his family, it would only lead to confusion.

But hey, we can add that to the immensely long list of reasons that dub was a mistake.

Squalor

That. Was. Fucking. Awesome.

Goddamn, I love Red Hawk. That might be the most injured we've ever seen Doflamingo, and he's not even that hurt, haha.

I'm surprised we didn't get to check in to Zoro. He's way out of Pica's league, though, but Pica is lucky he gets to hide.

I'm kind of disappointed that it seems that Sanji won't be back this arc. I really wanted him to have a battle with Dellinger.
It's not a complicated explanation. Law has a beef with Doflamingo that goes back 13 years, Doflamingo took over Dressrosa 10 years ago. There's a three year gap between the events
If that's the explanation, I really don't buy it.

Law has had a grudge against Doflamingo for thirteen years. He'd be doing everything in his power to get information on him and the Family.

Conclusion: I'm glad you're not a writer for the show, hahaha.

That. Was. Fucking. Awesome.

Goddamn, I love Red Hawk. That might be the most injured we've ever seen Doflamingo, and he's not even that hurt, haha.

I'm surprised we didn't get to check in to Zoro. He's way out of Pica's league, though, but Pica is lucky he gets to hide.

I'm kind of disappointed that it seems that Sanji won't be back this arc. I really wanted him to have a battle with Dellinger.

If that's the explanation, I really don't buy it.

Law has had a grudge against Doflamingo for thirteen years. He'd be doing everything in his power to get information on him and the Family.

Conclusion: I'm glad you're not a writer for the show, hahaha.
Nobody outside of the Doflamingo family knew about Sugar (except the dwarves and the soldier due him actually being a toy). They made that very, very explicit. And Law has previously stated he's never been to Dressrosa, plus Law has never been shown to have a huge intel network

Also worth pointing out that Law was also clueless about Monet (who Oda revealed in an SBS in one the manga volumes as having joined Doflamingo's crew at the same time as Sugar)

Squalor

Nobody outside of the Doflamingo family knew about Sugar (except the dwarves and the soldier due to a lot of on site spying). They made that very, very explicit. And Law has previously stated he's never been to Dressrosa, plus Law has never been shown to have a huge intel network
Also worth pointing out that Law was also clueless about Monet (who Oda revealed in an SBS in one the manga volumes as having joined Doflamingo's crew at the same time as Sugar)
That's fine and all for plot convenience (especially for Usopp to awaken his Kenbunshoku), but that doesn't mean I have to buy it.

Law is a very calculated individual, a character trait of his since his introduction. It's just weak plotting and character work, but oh well.

That's fine and all for plot convenience (especially for Usopp to awaken his Kenbunshoku), but that doesn't mean I have to buy it.

Law is a very calculated individual, a character trait of his since his introduction. It's just weak plotting and character work, but oh well.

They made a point that everyone who found out about Sugar was promptly turned into a toy and forgotten about. Getting that intel was only possible because Kyros got turned into a toy, but didn't get put into a contract, so he was able to share the truth

Squalor

They made a point that everyone who found out about Sugar was promptly turned into a toy and forgotten about. Getting that intel was only possible because Kyros got turned into a toy, but didn't get put into a contract, so he was able to share the truth
I'm very well aware of that, but Law isn't some random fodder (like everyone except Kyros who Sugar turned into a toy prior to this arc).

He's a strong character with connections and means and a hell of a cause, so, yes, it's all very convenient plot-wise, but as I said, oh well. It's just an anime.

I'm very well aware of that, but Law isn't some random fodder (like everyone except Kyros who Sugar turned into a toy prior to this arc).

He's a strong character with connections and means and a hell of a cause, so, yes, it's all very convenient plot-wise, but as I said, oh well. It's just an anime.

The point is, there is a possibility that NO ONE in the world knows about Sugar's powers unless she decides to tell a person herself or forgets the contract for the person turned into a toy.

Dugna

Finally watched the new episode, only problem the whole episode for me was that flashbacks of Bellamy and Luffy at mock town. They try to retouch the scenes and they just look weird compared to older one piece episodes like mock town....

Jaroof

I looove the noise that they use for the punches.
Oh, and I pretty much figured that the ep would end with one.

Luffy: "Hey, Doffy. Hold this real quick."

*red hawked*

By the way, the director for this episode was the same guy who directed One Piece Film Z.

Yep. I noticed this similarity while I was watching.

ywbaqw.gif

mlMaYX.gif

Cwarrior

The excution of this ussop episode was dissapointing.

godssop got the short end of stick when it came to his episode.

smug law sitting in doffy chair while smuggly looking up at trebol before radio knifeing him was cool.

I looove the noise that they use for the punches.
Oh, and I pretty much figured that the ep would end with one.

Yep. I noticed this similarity while I was watching.

ywbaqw.gif

mlMaYX.gif

The red hawk was key animated by the chief animation director of film z Masayuki Sato so he probably did that scene in the film z gif.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I figured if I put it here I wouldn't have to run upstairs at the end of the episode tonight, plus anyone from the TOONAMI thread who is here is waaay past the point of this being a spoiler.

Moaradin

You guys are saying it's another episode with decent animation? Are we in bizarro world or something? 3-4 episodes lately have had really good animation for One Piece standards. Usually we get a single episode looking like that every 30 episodes :p

BatDan

Ohh damn Toonami still isn't done Enies Lobby, I mean it's a great arc but what have they been doing to take so long?

December Month of Movies, holiday marathons
One Piece wasn't there from the revival's beginning.

Jaroof

This fight should be great. Luffy seems like he's in over his head in this fight, and I'm anxious to see how he pulls through.

Squishy3

You guys are saying it's another episode with decent animation? Are we in bizarro world or something? 3-4 episodes lately have had really good animation for One Piece standards. Usually we get a single episode looking like that every 30 episodes :p
Well, we did get stretchapalooza starring God Usopp not that long ago, so we did still get a really bad episode recently. :p

Cwarrior

This episode was not only great the the filler made it 10 times better then it's manga counter part.
-kind riku winning over the villigers made more sense then the villigers randomly deciding to cut them lose off screen.
-luffy getting his ass handed to him by getting his armed grapped made some sense as to why he was unable to interven doffy attack on law.
-all that fantastic fighting animation is all filler baby

God damn Doffy beat luffy & law like they stole something.

Poor Usopp, always getting the raw deal. That's how they ruined his sniping from the tower moment in Enies Lobby too.

3.5 episode focus him have been really great except for the 1 recent one which the later half wasn't bad.

The episode he showed up to confront trebol was epic much better then it's manga counter part so was the one they raise him to name him godussop.

BatDan

We've got new dub voices!
Including the Supernovas and various characters in Sabaody

Not too much of a surprise, but Law is played by Matthew Mercer.
Capone is played by the one and only Kyle Hebert
Eustass Kidd is played by Justin Cook (oh that is perfect)
Drake is played by D.C. Douglas (WESKER!)
Duval is played by David Vincent (I was hoping David Moo... but hey David Vincent is pretty good)
Rayleigh is played by Bruce Carey... no idea who he is but we've got Rayleigh!

We've got new dub voices!
Including the Supernovas and various characters in Sabaody

Not too much of a surprise, but Law is played by Matthew Mercer.
Capone is played by the one and only Kyle Hebert
Eustass Kidd is played by Justin Cook (oh that is perfect)
Drake is played by D.C. Douglas (WESKER!)
Duval is played by David Vincent (I was hoping David Moo... but hey David Vincent is pretty good)
Rayleigh is played by Bruce Carey... no idea who he is but we've got Rayleigh!

I only think of Justin's Yusuke voice which would be too high for Eustass but he's great so they'll get it right.

BatDan

I only think of Justin's Yusuke voice which would be too high for Eustass but he's great so they'll get it right.

Justin Cook also played Bellamy, where he pretty much just used his Yusuke voice.
Going to be interesting when they get to Dressrosa and Cook will have to downplay it.

Top Bottom