• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Moaradin

We've got new dub voices!
Including the Supernovas and various characters in Sabaody

Not too much of a surprise, but Law is played by Matthew Mercer.
Capone is played by the one and only Kyle Hebert
Eustass Kidd is played by Justin Cook (oh that is perfect)
Drake is played by D.C. Douglas (WESKER!)
Duval is played by David Vincent (I was hoping David Moo... but hey David Vincent is pretty good)
Rayleigh is played by Bruce Carey... no idea who he is but we've got Rayleigh!

Everyone was hoping for this but I'm so glad it happened. It's just perfect casting.

All the other castings sound promising as well.

Magwik

Banned
So Laws Japanese VA is the same as Levi's from AoT and it's now the same for the One Piece dub and AoT. Stuff like this is neat.

"They were bound to find you someday if I didn't stop them" ... OH SHIT!

tczDmOk.gif

Dugna

I'm trying to remember what episode that Doffy used Bellamy to fight Sarquiss, wasn't it near the end or the exact end of Skypiea? I can't seem to find it.

still can't find the exact episode.....

Moaradin

I'm trying to remember what episode that Doffy used Bellamy to fight Sarquiss, wasn't it near the end or the exact end of Skypiea? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Nvmd it was actually before skypiea even started, I knew it happened but still hard to remember episodes sometimes.

Episode 207. It's the first HD one.

Jaroof

Doflamingo is so overpowered, haha.

Can't wait to see how Luffy finds some way to defeat him.

It's insane because Luffy is hoping to overcome him... and apparently, Doflamingo is nothing to pirates like Kaido. Luffy's got a long way to go if he wants to get to the top, and that blows my mind.

Raxus

It's insane because Luffy is hoping to overcome him... and apparently, Doflamingo is nothing to pirates like Kaido. Luffy's got a long way to go if he wants to get to the top, and that blows my mind.

Considering he already pissed off one Emperor and is aiming to piss off another he seems to have quite the deathwish. Should be interesting to see how things play out after Dressrosa ends.

Squalor

Considering he already pissed off one Emperor and is aiming to piss off another he seems to have quite the deathwish. Should be interesting to see how things play out after Dressrosa ends.
Not to mention the fact that a couple of ridiculously strong Logia users in the Navy hate him.

Well, I suppose Kizaru doesn't really hate him, but Sakazuki damn-sure does.

I didn't get the exchange between Issho and Sabo.
Issho seems to be a very reasonable guy that has his own morale code and isn't just blindly following the Marine's way of justice.
What is weird to me is that he was appointed by Sakazuki so I would think that guy would prefer someone with the same hardliner ideals as him instead of Aokiji 2.0

Issho seems to be a very reasonable guy that has his own morale code and isn't just blindly following the Marine's way of justice.
What is weird to me is that he was appointed by Sakazuki so I would think that guy would prefer someone with the same hardliner ideals as him instead of Aokiji 2.0

He was chosen as part of a world conscription, so he wasn't part of the marines before the timeskip. So most likely he was chosen because he was so strong and there wasn't really anyone in the marines already who was strong enough to become an admiral. He was chosen out of necessity

Squalor

It was honestly some great misdirection by Fujitora. The writers pulled one over on us.

When he was talking to Sabo, we were meant to believe he was saying that he was distracting Sabo from getting to Luffy in the hopes that Doflamingo would kill Luffy. That's how the show played it.

Then once he got to the rise where King Rikku and everyone else were, he actually revealed that, at this point, he's hoping Luffy defeats Doflamingo because he knows the atrocities Doflamingo has committed on Dressrosa.

We already know Fujitora wants to dismantle the Shichibukai, anyway. That's something Sakazuki wants to do, too. He can't stand the Shichibukai.

But if you think about it, at this point, Fujitora is in a win-win situation. If Doflamingo wins, the son of Monkey D. Dragon is gone. If Luffy wins, another corrupt Shichibukai is out of the way.

Moaradin

Finally got around to watching the latest episode. Fight scene with Luffy and Doflamingo was dope. Animation style was very similar to Film Z and the latest DBZ movies. I assume it's the same animators working on them?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Another dub voice announcement.
Boa Hancock! She'll be played by Lydia Mackay.

*looks up her other voices* ... The only one I recognize is her sole DBZ role, she played Piccolo's driving instructor in that memorable filler episode.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I gotta say, the last few eps have been animated well. If only they could keep this up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Another dub voice announcement.
Boa Hancock! She'll be played by Lydia Mackay.

*looks up her other voices* ... The only one I recognize is her sole DBZ role, she played Piccolo's driving instructor in that memorable filler episode.

She was also Trisha Elric in both FMA adaptations.

Jaroof

Just a thought that I had while watching. I mean, Law hasn't seen him yet.
Also, they both have a mark under their right eye, Bartolomeo's coat has a bit of fur like the feathers Doflamingo and Corazon sport on theirs, and if I remember correctly, Bartolomeo kept his hand in his pocket like Corazon did

But I've made many guesses about what's to come in One Piece, and have yet to be right.

Squalor

The ending of this ep was great.

Sooo...
Is Bartolomeo really Corazon?
It has long-been established that Rosinante died.

So I'm going to suppose that he stopped talking and started hating children because Doflamingo was a child when he killed their father.

I'm really glad for the increasing quality of the past few episodes, but it makes me worry that after all the fighting's over we'll get some really shoddy stuff (or even worse, Toei will stop caring as much beforehand). Though, the first few minutes of this week's episode were some of the weakest in recent memory... I've started to lose a lot of emotional investment for the plight of Dress Rosa due to how many times they've shown minutes of citizens offing each other screaming the same lines.

Well, I suppose Kizaru doesn't really hate him, but Sakazuki damn-sure does.
I would argue the opposite in Kizaru's case, considering his almost fatherly relationship with Robin and his demeanor towards the crew post timeskip. I get the feeling he's going to become pretty important once the Four Emperors start fighting the crew.

Moaradin

Well it looks like they are going into a flashback so it made sense they put a bit more effort in the previous episodes. I imagine the main fight won't actually begin until this flashback is over.

Squalor

I would argue the opposite in Kizaru's case, considering his almost fatherly relationship with Robin and his demeanor towards the crew post timeskip. I get the feeling he's going to become pretty important once the Four Emperors start fighting the crew.
I think you're getting your ridiculously powerful Logia users mixed up.

Kizaru (Yellow Monkey) is Borsalino. He ate the "light" fruit. He's still an Admiral. He doesn't have any kind of friendly relationship with the Straw Hats. He's the one who wrecked them at Sabaody Archipelago. At the same time, he doesn't actively hate them. He's just doing his job. He's pretty laid back and quite funny.

You're thinking of Kuzan, formerly known as Aokiji (Blue Pheasant), who is no longer in the Navy. He has the ice power. He's the one who "let" Nico Robin get away from Ohara and let the Straw Hats get away just before the Water 7 Arc. During the time skip, he had his fight with Sakazuki to determine the new Fleet Admiral. That's why Punk Hazard was half ice, half fire.

Sakazuki, formerly known as Akainu (Red Dog), is the new Fleet Admiral. He has the magma power. He definitely actively hates Nico Robin (because of Ohara) and Luffy because he's Dragon's son and carries the "D." initial.

Kizaru (Yellow Monkey) is Borsalino. He ate the "light" fruit. He's still an Admiral. He doesn't have any kind of friendly relationship with the Straw Hats. He's the one who wrecked them at Sabaody Archipelago. At the same time, he doesn't actively hate them. He's just doing his job. He's pretty laid back and quite funny.

You're thinking of Kuzan, formerly known as Aokiji (Blue Pheasant), who is no longer in the Navy. He has the ice power. He's the one who "let" Nico Robin get away from Ohara and let the Straw Hats get away just before the Water 7 Arc. During the time skip, he had his fight with Sakazuki to determine the new Fleet Admiral. That's why Punk Hazard was half ice, half fire.

Sakazuki, formerly known as Akainu (Red Dog), is the new Fleet Admiral. He has the magma power. He definitely actively hates Nico Robin (because of Ohara) and Luffy because he's Dragon's son and carries the "D." initial.

I know the 'secret D' talk wares thin but I've been expecting Akainu to be one. Saul didn't really know what it meant and it never seemed like Garp cared so I've been waiting for a D character that despises their heritage and he seems like a good fit for that.

Squalor

I know the 'secret D' talk wares thin but I've been expecting Akainu to be one. Saul didn't really know what it meant and it never seemed like Garp cared so I've been waiting for a D character that despises their heritage and he seems like a good fit for that.
Not that it fits into the "despise" part, but there's been a hidden D. character for a while. He or she just stopped using the initial to hide the would-be "scarlet" letter.

Hah, I totally did. That's what I get for posting while inebriated...

On the topic of D. characters, any thoughts on if Akainu has any ill will towards Garp? They haven't really had any significant conversations that I can remember, but seeing how he feels towards Luffy I can't help but think that he has animosity towards Garp as well.

Squalor

On the topic of D. characters, any thoughts on if Akainu has any ill will towards Garp? They haven't really had any significant conversations that I can remember, but seeing how he feels towards Luffy I can't help but think that he has animosity towards Garp as well.
Considering Garp's relation to Dragon, Luffy, and even Ace, I can't imagine Sakazuki likes him too much, haha.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That were a lot of dead (burned alive?) kids casually shown on TV.

They were gunned down.
Law's sister was burned alive though (we just didn't see it).
Strangely, I've heard theories that she's alive based solely on the lack of body. But that would somehow mean she cured her lead poisoning.

They were gunned down.
Law's sister was burned alive though (we just didn't see it).
Strangely, I've heard theories that she's alive based solely on the lack of body. But that would somehow mean she cured her lead poisoning.

Ah ok, the ground looked kinda burned to me and I thought they just didn't want to show burned corpses.

It was a bit weird that they didn't also show his sister getting killed (though technically they also don't show the parents WHILE getting killed).
Though it would be a nice story arc for Law. He was dead inside, turned around somehow (revenge-fueled mostly?) but is still pretty damaged. Reuniting with his sister could give him closure (but indeed it's a bit far fetched).

Soriku

I haven't watched OP in several weeks now (Zoro just started fighting the stone dude)...is now a good time to catch up?

Top Bottom