• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Grexeno

Strong World and Film Z are basically exactly the same in terms of quality, but I give Strong World the edge because Film Z has some ridiculous pandering creepshots.

Squalor

So does all of One Piece?

I mean, Rebecca has had time to get a change of clothes, but they still have her running around in a golden chain-mail bikini. It's pathetic, really.

Grexeno

I don't think you guys are remembering just how bad it was in Film Z.

I mean, the beginning of one scene during the final fight is a shot lingering on Robin's bouncing breasts for like half a minute.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The manga has way less "Male Gaze" leering shots. Sure Oda draws women with large breasts, but he rarely draws attention to it. We don't get panels that are just focusing on their tits or ass.

I brought it up before, but a good example is Robin turning back from a toy after Sugar got knocked out. In the manga, we just saw her turn back to normal. In the anime, the camera had to get shots of her assets as she turned back.

On another note, more English dub voices!
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/08/19/one-piece-season-7-voyage-2-english-dub-cast-revealed/

I know the characters, but I don't know the actors. Saved all the big ones for the supernovas.

Salbug

They didn't mess him up, but I'm also not impressed.

Hell, it's not as though I'll ever see it, anyway, so it's whatever.

I'd have to agree. Though I have to give props to the English VA for Scratchman Apoo. Just watched him using his devil fruit against Kizaru, and I have to say he now has to be my favorite of the Supernovas outside of Luffy, and Zoro.

Squalor

I like how prim and proper he sounds (talking about Kuma), but he needed to have more bass and ferocity to the tone of his voice, too.
I'd have to agree. Though I have to give props to the English VA for Scratchman Apoo. Just watched him using his devil fruit against Kizaru, and I have to say he now has to be my favorite of the Supernovas outside of Luffy, and Zoro.
Have a link for that?

Squalor

Oh, I thought you were saying you heard him in English.

I'm pretty sure that's just a Japanese guy speaking the parts that are English words.

jbug617

Banned
What's the best price for the dub? I'm looking to pick up everything post Thriller Bark.

It's either the Voyage sets or the Collection sets (which are the budget titles but behind where the Voyages are at).

The Voyage sets are right now doing Sabaody
The Collection are about to start Thriller Bark.

Oh my god...

Just wrapped up on Thriller Bark and it absolutely wrecked me. One Piece is always at it's worst when the crew is separated and there are like 40 episodes where everyone is running somewhere fighting fodder, so I was really getting impatient with a good chunk of this arc, fearing another Skypiea. But fuck, the second half of Thriller Bark once the
Oars fight picks up and the crew is fighting together through Brook's backstory
was just concentrated hype and feels all into one.

Thriller Bark is my favorite arc. I never ever expected that. Wow.

Squalor

While I agree, from the Oars fight onwards it's awesome. Shame the start was such a drag.
Yeah, the teamwork Oars fight was fun. And it was great to see Kuma.

Luckily, Sabaody Archipelago followed Thriller Bark. That was fantastic. Two weak arcs in a row would have been brutal.

Hell, I was barely having fun with the Fishman Island-Punk Hazard stretch, but at least Hazard set up this Dressrosa awesomeness.

Thriller Bark is AMAZING! The first half has both great atmosphere and great comedy, while the second half has great fights. Amazing flashback too. Much better paced in the manga, of course.

Moaradin

I actually really like Thriller Bark. I guess if you watched/read it weekly, the pacing could feel slow. I binged it in the anime and it was a fun arc. The Brook flashback at the end legit had me tearing up.

Thriller Bark was one of the, if not the, weakest arcs with an incredibly lame-ass villain.

I dunno man, while I totally agree from the moment Nami is knocked out till she wakes up, and even the meh-tier fight with Moria, you can't deny how the rest of the arc just fucking kills it:

Meeting Brook
Strawhats VS Oars
The transformation scene, lol
Lola's redemption
Luffy VS Oars
Final blow to Moria/Shadows Returning
Fucking Kuma, holy shit
Zoro VS Kuma
"Nothing happened"
The entirety of Brook's backstory
The final "Bink's Sake" scene... fuck ;__;

Sure it's all concentrated in the last third, but it more than makes up for it. Sorry Water Seven/Enies Lobby, you've been displaced.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It has the tie-in to Oda's Monsters going for it, too. Zoro vs. Ryuma was an intense fight.

TB is an arc I initially did not like but later grew to love.
The mystery shadow beast at the end was great

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Thriller Bark shows up in a big way far down the line at the end of the series. It's a huge ass island ship!

It's the only arc that most agree is better in the anime.
I loved the war sirens used when Kuma is charging up the Ursus Shock, it was a really nice touch that gave me chills. And the vocalization of "Bink's Sake" was conveyed perfectly. The high points of Thriller Bark are just such a great example of how an anime should be elevating the content in ways the manga just can't do.

And overall, the climax found great ways to raise the stakes in a way that literally had my gf and I asking eachother- "how in the fuck are they going to get out of this?"

Can't wait to catch up on the next arc and see where it goes.

It's the only arc that most agree is better in the anime.

Don't know who "most" is, but we've talked about this a long while ago in this thread and iirc everyone said the opposite. Pretty much every arc is better in the manga, and Thriller Bark is no different, although of course Bink's Sake is better in the anime and well worth watching on Youtube for those who haven't seen it.

jbug617

Banned
There is a new One Piece Movie coming out Summer 2016. It was announced at the end of Episode of Sabo

CNBUOIXXAAA2YDT.jpg:large

Top Bottom