• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Grexeno

Is this even a fair fight?

Doflamingo has to go up against Law and Luffy.

By the time Luffy gets to him, he'll have taken some damage and be somewhat fatigued by the Law portion.

If Doflamingo loses, I want an asterisk beside his defeat.
Hmmmm

I feel you're underestimating Doffy.

By the time Luffy gets to him, he'll have taken some damage and be somewhat fatigued by the Law portion.

Luffy fought in the coliseum,ran thru a country and is now fighting a clone and bellamy now i think they are even.

Squalor

Hmmmm

I feel you're underestimating Doffy.
Not at all. "Pound for pound," he's definitely top ten and probably pretty close to top five as far as strongest characters alive right now. Although, that does get cloudy since we haven't seen Shanks or his crew really fight, having seen Big Mom or Kaido, haven't seen the new Admiral who joined when Issho did, haven't seen Sengoku's full potential, et cetera.
Luffy fought in the coliseum,ran thru a country and is now fighting a clone and bellamy now i think they are even.
He has plot armor, though.

He's hardly tired. He'll take out the Black Knight, then pop upstairs and have all his stamina back. Meanwhile, Doflamingo will have been in a fight with another of the, what, twenty-five(?) strongest people in the series. And I only went that low because we are to assume other characters we haven't even seen yet or seen actually fight yet are incredibly strong.

It's really no point talking about these things with people who have read the manga, though, so I'm not even going to bother, haha. It's not fun when there's "dramatic irony" in a situation like this. I don't know how things turn out. You do.

Not at all. "Pound for pound," he's definitely top ten and probably pretty close to top five as far as strongest characters alive right now.

Probably not top ten. I'm thinking all the admirals are stronger than him, plus the four emperors as well, making it at least eight known characters stronger than him, and there are definitely a lot of really strong characters that we haven't seen yet.

But yeah, even still, it does sound like you are underestimating him. Doffy is really strong indeed.

Grexeno

Probably not top ten. I'm thinking all the admirals are stronger than him, plus the four emperors as well, making it at least eight known characters stronger than him, and there are definitely a lot of really strong characters that we haven't seen yet.

But yeah, even still, it does sound like you are underestimating him. Doffy is really strong indeed.
I would add in that Mihawk is almost certainly the strongest Warlord, so 9. Doffy could get in at 10.

Squalor

I think he can take Fujitora. I don't think he could take Kizaru or Sakazuki. We know nothing about the other new guy. We have to assume Kaido is stronger. That doesn't mean we have to assume Big Mom is stronger, though. I'll definitely allow Shanks, but no one else from his crew. Mihawk is an interesting one. I don't know how to rank him relative to Doflamingo, honestly, but I'll add him for the sake of discussion.

Blackbeard
Sakazuki
Kaido
Shanks
Kizaru
Sengoku
Mihawk

Not at all. "Pound for pound," he's definitely top ten and probably pretty close to top five as far as strongest characters alive right now. Although, that does get cloudy since we haven't seen Shanks or his crew really fight, having seen Big Mom or Kaido, haven't seen the new Admiral who joined when Issho did, haven't seen Sengoku's full potential, et cetera.

He has plot armor, though.

He's hardly tired. He'll take out the Black Knight, then pop upstairs and have all his stamina back. Meanwhile, Doflamingo will have been in a fight with another of the, what, twenty-five(?) strongest people in the series. And I only went that low because we are to assume other characters we haven't even seen yet or seen actually fight yet are incredibly strong.

It's really no point talking about these things with people who have read the manga, though, so I'm not even going to bother, haha. It's not fun when there's "dramatic irony" in a situation like this. I don't know how things turn out. You do.

All I'll say is this fight will not disappoint nd its not ur typical one piece fight in my opinion, jus keep watching you'll be surprised

Oxn

I would add in that Mihawk is almost certainly the strongest Warlord, so 9. Doffy could get in at 10.

Nope Doffy is the strongest Warlord. Mihawk and Kuma prolly tied for 2nd.

I think he can take Fujitora. I don't think he could take Kizaru or Sakazuki. We know nothing about the other new guy. We have to assume Kaido is stronger. That doesn't mean we have to assume Big Mom is stronger, though. I'll definitely allow Shanks, but no one else from his crew. Mihawk is an interesting one. I don't know how to rank him relative to Doflamingo, honestly, but I'll add him for the sake of discussion.

Blackbeard
Sakazuki
Kaido
Shanks
Kizaru
Sengoku
Mihawk

I would think Benn Beckman might be stronger, if Kizaru is counted as stronger.

Then we also have Dragon who is stronger. Marco I think would lose. Raleigh, hmmm I dunno.

Blackbeard
Sakazuki
Kaido
Shanks
Kizaru
Sengoku
Mihawk

I'm not so sure that he can take Fujitora, but maybe, and then there's Kuzan too. In any case, I wasn't planning to do a list war, the point is just that there are a lot of powerful characters in the One Piece world, many of whom we haven't even seen yet.

And Sengoku is a weakling. The only time we've seen him attack was during Marineford, where he accomplished absolutely nothing and defeated no one. I'm sure he was strong in his prime days, just like Garp was even stronger then, but now he's just weak.

And someone mentioned Dragon. No point in naming characters who we have no idea what their fighting capabilities are.

Kater

Banned
Watched the German dubbed episodes (401 - 403) the other night, I forgot how good Franky's voice actor fits the character. And Kizaru sounds better than I expected. He has the kind of old cheeky a-hole vibe to him.

Cwarrior

doffy already beat law back at the bridge like he was a joke.

Made quick work of sanji

and ridiculed luffy at the place.

Now his taking on law and luffy at the same time.

In a Fair 1 on 1 Luffy would never be able to take of the flamingo man.

His not fight bellamy his fighting doffy ability and same goes for the clone, it's just extension of doffy's power.

Squalor

Holy shit, what the fuck, Law?

NOOOOOOO.

I'm mean, he can do something about that with his Op-Op Fruit, right? If you can cure an incurable disease, a reattachment shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, right?

Damn, Law, damn.
And there's a crocodile reference at the end
What was it?

Booty had me like
tumblr_nuyobgsXhX1s02o04o3_1280.jpg

Great episode.

Moaradin

This episode was hilarious. I feel like this might be one of the funnier One Piece episodes I've seen in a while. They put a lot of budget into such a random episode too. Baby 5 backstory got serious out of nowhere.

Great episode.

Jaroof

Holy shit, I couldn't stop laughing at Lao G's crew's confusion at what was going on with him.
Great episode.

Also, Sai is a beast!

Cwarrior

Op 709

Bellamy & his devil fruit is too cool not to join the staw hats.

Badass punch and badass one liner by harjdun

op 710

Glorious episode there's the G!!

Props to the anime team they took a Great chapter and made it several time more glorious.

Can't get enough of Lao G & his crazy G-antics, am going to miss that old G.

Baby 5 back story was Creapy, dark and unexpected.

Sai ascending to take the mantle from his grandfather, fighting to avenge him and to take baby 5 hand in marrige in an epic clash against Lao G was just too EPIC.

10 out of 10 episode -amazing directing and animation these coliseum character are stealing this show and my heart.

Raxus

It is nice they are stepping up their animation game for key points for this arc. It really deserves it. 3 more executives down!

Baby 5's loss is hilarious.

Luigi87

I read the manga, but stopped watching the anime during the Marineford War.

One Piece is my favourite on-going though, so I decided to finally utilize my Crunchyroll account and start the anime from the beginning. I am going to be skipping nearly all the filler this time around though (except for Loguetown and possibly G8). First time I've been rewatching a lot of these episodes in over a decade. I initially started the anime when the manga was in Enies Lobby, and then after several breaks I caught up to the anime when it was midway into Enies Lobby (and when Toei started doing the 1:1 chapter:episode ratio...), lol.

Anywho, at three episodes a day I'm currently in the Arlong arc (which is where I fell in love with the series way back) and just finished the Bellemere flashback. The next episode has one of my absolute favourite moments in the series by far (the power walk to Arlong's Park). Since this is the first time I rewatched these episodes, I find it amazing how many little things I didn't realize way back when (IE: Jimbei was the second Shichibukai ever mentioned, yet the last one to make an appearance), and other various things.

At this rate I'll be into the climax of Alabasta in about a month's time, and I'll be caught up to the anime in just under a year. I look forward to seeing Punk Hazard and Dressrosa animated.

Nightbird

So, i actually only wanted to look up the 4kids version of the first one piece opening, and now i spent half an hour watching openings.

first of all, the english dubbed second opening is vastly superior to the original version, but in my opinion is nowhere near our first german opening ;p

anyway, i took the time to rank my 5 favorite pre-time skip openings:

1.) Opening 6 Brave new World*

Well, it's the opening that dragged me back into one piece, and from there on i kept on being a one piece fan until today. It's by far the one i like the most, i don't care if it's Nostalgia or not :p

2.)
German only: Die Legende beginnt (The legend begins)

You will never find a german one piece fan who can't speak the first few lines from that opening by himself. Combined with the epic Music, this Opening got myself hyped for OP when i was a kid (before i stopped caring for the series for a while sadly), and it still does now. i just love it ^^

3.) Opening 14 Fight together

This opening is just feels all over my body. Luffy's flashback was pretty sad, and paired with all the important moments with the other Strawhats, combined with the music makes this opening special to me. Spot 3 for this one.

4.) Opening 8 Crazy Rainbowstar *

If there is one thing that i love to death about One Piece, it would be the interaction between the characters. And i don't think that any other opening spent so much time just showing the strawhats spending time together. And i love it

5.) Opening 13 One Day

You know what i just said about about Opening 14? Remove a bit of feels, add in a bunch of epicness, and we have this one. Don't be fooled by their charting Numbers, 3,4 and 5 are actually pretty close to each other. I could have charted them in every possible way, and i would be happy with that

= click on the stars to see the Version of the Opening i grew to love

what about you? what are your favorite op's?

Dugna

So, i actually only wanted to look up the 4kids version of the first one piece opening, and now i spent half an hour watching openings.

what about you? what are your favorite op's?

1. kokoro no chizu

favorite overall song meaning that I listen to it even outside of one piece binges, that and it shows so much conflict in it.

2. Fight Together

because it makes me sad but its also a great sending off OP song for the first half of One Piece.

3. We are! (Strawhat Version)

chose this one because I love the crew singing but also love the song so I find this to be the better version. Hope they make an updated version later with the full and final crew members.

4. We Go!

just like how Fight together is a great sendoff to the first half of one piece this is a great start to the 2nd half, fills with so much energy and excitement after the sad ending of marineford.

FaceTurn

Just started watching this again. At Dressrosa and I don't remember the women being so sexualised. I noticed Nami and Robin being fairly different after the timeskip but man Rebecca is just ridiculous in that gladiator outfit. Is this due to Oda or Toei?

Just started watching this again. At Dressrosa and I don't remember the women being so sexualised. I noticed Nami and Robin being fairly different after the timeskip but man Rebecca is just ridiculous in that gladiator outfit. Is this due to Oda or Toei?

This discussion has been banned by a mod in the manga thread (thankfully, it was being discussed over and over and over again for pages by a few users in particular), but yeah it's on Oda. It's been like this since the time skip and it's a shame indeed.

Mazre

Started watching One Piece around the start of July, mostly because of Treasure Cruise. A little over 3 months and 700~ episodes and I'm finally all caught up, quite the journey. Consistently enjoyable with some pretty great high points as well. Strawhats are a great bunch of characters whom I won't even attempt to rank, they all bring fun stuff to the table and have wonderful chemistry. Favorite arc was definitely Impel Down/Marineford.

Only real gripes I have are the padding (I know, it's a shonen) and the generally ridiculous refusal to let any character die (looking at you especially Alabasta and Skypiea arcs).

Love most of the OPs, though I definitely favor the pre-timeskip ones. My favorites in no partcular order:
We Are!
Believe
Hikari E
Kokoro no Chizu
Jungle P
One Day

Looking at the list of openings it looks like several of them pre-timeskip were replaced for streaming in NA, guessing a licensing issue.

Squishy3

The padding isn't as bad in the manga, it's just the way the anime is made. I'm sure you know the Usopp snipe moment in Dressrosa? Yeah, that's like, 3 pages in the manga and they stretched it out (literally) for 15 minutes, Usopp doesn't even visualize what'd happen if they got caught by Sugar. 1 chapter = 1 episode, so you get what takes about 5 minutes to read stretched into a 24 minute episode (actually around 17 minutes if you discount the OP, opening narration and flashback)

It was one of the moments I was most excited for too.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Best OPs:

1. Brand New World

2. Kokoro no Chizu

3. Hands up!

Yeah, two of my favorite OPs got shafted

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The padding isn't as bad in the manga, it's just the way the anime is made. I'm sure you know the Usopp snipe moment in Dressrosa? Yeah, that's like, 3 pages in the manga and they stretched it out (literally) for 15 minutes, Usopp doesn't even visualize what'd happen if they got caught by Sugar. 1 chapter = 1 episode, so you get what takes about 5 minutes to read stretched into a 24 minute episode (actually around 17 minutes if you discount the OP, opening narration and flashback)

It was one of the moments I was most excited for too.

I really really REALLY hope they don't mess up THAT moment.
You all know the one manga readers.

Nightbird

Senor pink has by far the most tragic backstory of any non-main character.

He even surpasses some of the main characters like zorro or sanji imo

Senor pink has by far the most tragic backstory of any non-main character.

He even surpasses some of the main characters like zorro or sanji imo

True. Looks like over time he was driven mad by the empty stare of his wife. Which itself could be seen as her punishment for his lies and evil lifestyle. Kinda creepy actually.

Btw I'm somewhat surprised Doflamingo would let him live that secret life. Even though he allows no harm to come to his crew, sabotaging that happy family sounds like something he would plot to drive his underlings closer to his side. (actually it would have been neat to have one of his closer crew members turn on him this arc for finding out something like that)

Top Bottom