• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Moaradin

Surprised nobody is talking about the new episode and special yet. I thought the new episode was pretty great. Looks like we're getting back to current events next week.

The special was alright. It's mostly a recap of the current arc with new animation and Sabo's perspective, so it didn't have nearly as much original material like 3D2Y did. Still enjoyed watching it and some of the fights with better animation was neat.

Salbug

One Piece just tugs at you SO HARD.

R.I.P. Rosi-Sama. :'<

mgs3_salute_by_christopherjredfield-d5241q1.gif

Episode 705 broke me at the end. The music they played during Cora's death scene was slapping the shit outta my heart.
Why are there so many awesome dead characters in One Piece? :_:

I enjoyed Episode of Sabo. The entire coliseum portion of the arc looked nice with re-animated scenes.
The ASL story is one of my favorite flashbacks, and it was cool to see it again in this special.

Cwarrior

One piece 706

tumblr_ntiwepCUmL1t45pbyo1_500.gif

good, night sweet prince.

It's typical of toei to always hit every flash back story out the park but the final scene was beautiful excuted, directed and written.

-liked how the canon fire was like a gun salute to crozon passing
-noticed doffy used the same gun he killed crozon with to shoot law with lead bullets in dressrosa my god what troll lol

Squalor

Apparently, the Sabo special has spoilers if you haven't read the manga.

Will be skipping.
-noticed doffy used the same gun he killed crozon with to shoot law with lead bullets in dressrosa my god what troll lol
True, but more relevant to the flashback, it's the same gun he killed their father with.

I didn't notice any for up to date anime stuff

I think there's one moment in the credits that implies that Sabo
and Burgess will fight again
. While watching the special I had indeed a moment of "wait, where did that guy go anyway?!" so I guess he's still part of this arc.

But in principle it's safe to watch.
IMO it feels a bit too much like just a summary of Dressrosa and I'm kind miffed that they technically still don't show the moment of the reunion of the two brothers :p This time there's more than in the anime but apart from one still it still cuts out lol

Man... I just got through watching episodes 403+404+405, or the finale of Sabaody Archipelago.

I'll just never understand the anime haters... Toei fucking knocked it out of the park with the animation in that set. Intense and emotional as hell, fantastic shots and pacing all around. I immediately went to read the equivalent anime chapters and it wasn't even a fraction as dramatic and hopeless as it was depicted in motion. (actually, there's so much happening per panel, I could barely make out the action..) Sure I guess the pacing is slow sometimes, but it is so, soo worth it for the highs it hits. I guess the end of Thriller Bark was only a hint of how intense things would get from then on.

Whoever animated Luffy's
emotional breakdown
needs a fucking award. Heartbreaking.

Of course the first ep of this Amazon Lily arc looks like hot garbage, but I'll forgive it after such a dope set of episodes...

Salbug

I'll just never understand the anime haters... Toei fucking knocked it out of the park with the animation in that set. Intense and emotional as hell, fantastic shots and pacing all around.

This is why I read the manga, and watch the anime. Best of both worlds really. Reading the story first then getting to see it animated eventually is pretty nice in my opinion.

Man... I just got through watching episodes 403+404+405, or the finale of Sabaody Archipelago.

I'll just never understand the anime haters... Toei fucking knocked it out of the park with the animation in that set. Intense and emotional as hell, fantastic shots and pacing all around. I immediately went to read the equivalent anime chapters and it wasn't even a fraction as dramatic and hopeless as it was depicted in motion. (actually, there's so much happening per panel, I could barely make out the action..) Sure I guess the pacing is slow sometimes, but it is so, soo worth it for the highs it hits. I guess the end of Thriller Bark was only a hint of how intense things would get from then on.

Whoever animated Luffy's
emotional breakdown

Of course the first ep of this Amazon Lily arc looks like hot garbage, but I'll forgive it after such a dope set of episodes...
I watch the anime and read the manga. THe manga is absolutely better in my opinion, but the anime is still worth watching if you have time, especially early on. But the anime in general has been getting worse in several regards since that time. Pacing gets pretty atrocious in anime marineford for example. And animation and pacing in general suffer more and more as time goes on

Squalor

It was great seeing Doflamingo's, Law's, and Rosinante's backstories, but I'm so fucking excited to get back to the present-day timeline.

I watch the anime and read the manga. THe manga is absolutely better in my opinion, but the anime is still worth watching if you have time, especially early on. But the anime in general has been getting worse in several regards since that time. Pacing gets pretty atrocious in anime marineford for example. And animation and pacing in general suffer more and more as time goes on

It's funny because people have been telling me to drop the anime since the latter half of Enies Lobby when they started doing only one chapter (or less!) per episode apparently. But besides some glacial pacing in a third of Thriller Bark, I'd say everything up to Sabaody has been handled more than adequately enough. Don't people say Marineford is their favorite arc though? Does the pacing hurt it that much?

Squalor

It's funny because people have been telling me to drop the anime since the latter half of Enies Lobby when they started doing only one chapter (or less!) per episode apparently. But besides some glacial pacing in a third of Thriller Bark, I'd say everything up to Sabaody has been handled more than adequately enough. Don't people say Marineford is their favorite arc though? Does the pacing hurt it that much?
As someone who doesn't read the manga, the pacing in Marineford got bad at times, but I was also watching it week to week.

You can binge it now, so it won't seem like such a big deal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece anime has always been a better binge show. You don't notice anything wrong with the pacing when you do 10 episodes or more at a time. Weekly.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just watched 704, and the scene where Rosinante infiltates Barrels' lair and steals the fruit was masterfully done. The music especially helped. That scene is where you really realize "wow, this isn't just some lovable goofball, this guy is a serious undercover agent." The way they play up his fruit to be useless right before showing how useful it can actually be helps drive it home that he's really good at what he does.

*looks that up* ... How the hell did I miss that in the manga.

It still looks weird.

Viola: The end of the battle is not too far away.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

As a manga reader that made me laugh my gf was like whats the matter? Didn't have the guts to say the fight is like 10 episodes away

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
May just put the anime on hiatus now that Law flashback is done... no fun watching things drag out a second time.

Disclaimer: I am one of the few who enjoys the anime more than the manga due to voice acting and music, but it's def better suited to binge watching, especially if you've read the manga

Cwarrior

Whoever animated Luffy's
emotional breakdown

Interestingly enough that scene was done by an Incredible animator by the name Ryo Onishi who started his anime career round the time of bounty hunter family/ thriller bark he quickly rose up to become main action animator of one piece in thriller park on wards he then got promoted after strong world to be the go animator for mega big Toei animated movies.

He returned to One piece recently to work on One piece Episode of sabo this month, he did a lot the big scenes.
ryo onishi sakuga mad

I see some times a few posters says how the animation got worse after enis lobby which is far from the truth animators like ryo onish, kenji kuroyanagi didn't join after enis lobby was over.

Interestingly enough that scene was done by an Incredible animator by the name Ryo Onishi who started his anime career round the time of bounty hunter family/ thriller bark he quickly rose up to become main action animator of one piece in thriller park on wards he then got promoted after strong world to be the go animator for mega big Toei animated movies.

He returned to One piece recently to work on One piece Episode of sabo this month, he did a lot the big scenes.

ryo onishi sakuga mad

I see some times a few posters says a how the animation got worse after enis lobby which is far from the truth animators like ryo onish, kenji kuroyanagi didn't join untill thriller park.

Im glad someone one mentioned this because as i follow the dub on its quest to catch i noticed the animation was never anything truly special to begin with it had its moments but so does the time skip

Magwik

Banned
Five? Hahaha not happening

Realistically what else can they do? Next episode is Luffy stepping up to Doffy, he'll get kicked around for 2-3 episodes (MAYBE 4) as we resolve Zoro's fight and maybe Franky, then we get Gear fourth tease, a week break (it ALWAYS happens), then we get into final fight filler.
EDIT: Also Dubbed Kizaru sounds so much better than he did in Film Z, or my memory is wack

Squalor

Well, that Injection Shot was a little underwhelming, haha.

You're going to need just a little more than that, Trafalgar D.

Luffy just needs to knock out Bellamy's ass and get him out of the damn way so he can take out that Black Knight. I'm ready for the real thing. Also, really excited about the conclusion to the Pica-Zoro fight even though Pica is a chump.

The rest of the fights are pretty lame at this point. They've really nerfed Don Chinjao. He went head-to-head with Luffy, but now he can't do a thing against Lao G.? Come the fuck on.

Dugna

ryo onishi sakuga mad

I see some times a few posters says how the animation got worse after enis lobby which is far from the truth animators like ryo onish, kenji kuroyanagi didn't join after enis lobby was over.

that gif is awesome....I'll definitely be watching episode of Sabo tonight.

Realistically what else can they do? Next episode is Luffy stepping up to Doffy, he'll get kicked around for 2-3 episodes (MAYBE 4) as we resolve Zoro's fight and maybe Franky, then we get Gear fourth tease, a week break (it ALWAYS happens), then we get into final fight filler.
EDIT: Also Dubbed Kizaru sounds so much better than he did in Film Z, or my memory is wack

Hmmm do you read the manga?? If not i cant say what else can they do"
And yes kizarus dub voice is very good "hellloooooo hello?" Lol i love scratchmans voice too "Is this music reaching you, Admiral kizaru"

SolVanderlyn

Hey, I'm looking for a couple pieces of music that play in these scenes:
  • When Rosinante invades Barrels' lair (ep 704)
  • When Roger is executed in Ep 0/When they're mentioning the "star bounties" for the first time in Dressrosa
What are the names of these tracks?

Ifrit

Whoever animated Luffy's
emotional breakdown

The ending of Sabaody is probably my favorite episode (next to the Arlong Walk) in the entire series, first time watching I couldn't believe what was happening, just an amazing episode with some of the best animation in the series

Squalor

The ending of Sabaody is probably my favorite episode (next to the Arlong Walk) in the entire series, first time watching I couldn't believe what was happening, just an amazing episode with some of the best animation in the series
I was fucking shocked. I don't think I'd ever seen the good guys in an anime get owned so thoroughly before.

Ahahahahaha

Squalor

Is this even a fair fight?

Doflamingo has to go up against Law and Luffy.

By the time Luffy gets to him, he'll have taken some damage and be somewhat fatigued by the Law portion.

If Doflamingo loses, I want an asterisk beside his defeat.

Top Bottom