• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dedication Through Light said:
Thats definitely much better. I definitely cant wait to get the volumes (planning to get them this fall), the past 10 chapters coming into Chapter 50 through 60 has been too much.

3 Untranslated Bubbles
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/54/11/

1 untranslated bubble
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/56/05/

2 untranslated bubbles
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/57/05/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/57/06/

No Translation at all!
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/57/13/

2 untranslated
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/58/09/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/58/12/
Next time this happens, or you are unsure about a scanlation's translation, just use this site: http://www.mangascreener.com/stephen/onepiece/onepiece.html

Those are by a great translator who translated all the One Piece chapters until he retired from it last year. They are commonly accepted as the bible for One Piece translations and are more accurate than even Viz's official translation.

grandjedi6

Firestorm said:
oh FUCK ME
I just got hit by the most major manga spoilers i've seen in my life
son of a BITCH

aradfadfgagfdg rageeeeeeee

I think I'm just going to read it now. Goddammit. ARGHH
Aww man, what/who spoiled you?

It was probably inevitable though considering that that specific spoiler was mentioned on the Japanese news before the chapter even came out.

Firestorm said:
Marineford is in the other intersection between the Grand Line and Red Line right? That's the point of entry the Marines use?
You're thinking of Mariejois. Marineford is nearby but not actually on the Redline. The marines, for the most part, don't use any entrance to the grandline since they can just cross the Calm Belt thanks to Vegapunk's technology (although doing such a thing is still dangerous apparently).

Firestorm

Wow. The scanlations are of terrible quality too =/ Compressed like crap. Kind of glad now that I waited 'til I had the books for most of it. Newer scanlations are much cleaner. Can't wait for the rest of the books to come out. I'll probably do another readthrough afterwards if I have the time... Or catch up on Bleach :lol
grandjedi6 said:
Aww man, what/who spoiled you?

It was probably inevitable though considering that that specific spoiler was mentioned on the Japanese news before the chapter even came out.
I learned of what happened in Chapter
on IRC a while back where we were talking about Naruto and someone went "I'm really proud of myself for not spoiling -SPOILER-" not knowing I only watched One Piece. Was annoyed, but kept away. Then a few days ago I was on Smogon remembering the "social groups" thing and decided to click the ones I joined. One of them had the topic with the spoiler for Chapter
right in the title and that was just oh my god x____x At least I now understand what people were talking about when they said
"I didn't think Oda had the balls"

I gotta say, unlike with Naruto, I absolutely cannot wait to see what happens next and have even read through the chapter more than once. Naruto I've only had that "gotta read gotta read" feeling once...

<3 One Piece so much

You're thinking of Mariejois. Marineford is nearby but not actually on the Redline. The marines, for the most part, don't use any entrance to the grandline since they can just cross the Calm Belt thanks to Vegapunk's technology (although doing such a thing is still dangerous apparently).
Ohhhh. Yeah I forgot that those two were different. Mariejois is the one above Merman Island right?

Himuro said:
Poor Dedication Through Light. The scanlations are horrible.

I tried to go by my schools bookstore today to at least read through them, but my school only seems to have Volume 1 and then the Volume 1 + 2 +3 collection of the volumes in that VizBig thing, lol. And of course Volume 3 had to at the middle of the Usop and such story. My school needs to really order less
yaoi and BL-manga
and get One Piece. We have like every volume of Naruto, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Bleach, and Ruroni K?

Im just glad that I that the scanlations are fortunately enough to be online in readable condition and that there are people who whom have read them, lol. Oh yeah and
My_avatar__Sanji_Kun_colored_by_KaenDD.jpg
just joined with Luffy at Chapter 69/70ish.

I love it when he kicks!!!!

BobLoblaw

Banned
I tried to go by my schools bookstore today to at least read through them, but my school only seems to have Volume 1 and then the Volume 1 + 2 +3 collection of the volumes in that VizBig thing, lol. And of course Volume 3 had to at the middle of the Usop and such story. My school needs to really order less
yaoi and BL-manga
and get One Piece. We have like every volume of Naruto, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Bleach, and Ruroni K?

Im just glad that I that the scanlations are fortunately enough to be online in readable condition and that there are people who whom have read them, lol. Oh yeah and
My_avatar__Sanji_Kun_colored_by_KaenDD.jpg
just joined with Luffy at Chapter 69/70ish.

I love it when he kicks!!!!
Ahh... "Black Leg" Sanji. He's one of the top three most powerful Strawhats next to Luffy and Zoro. And he's totally infatuated with the ladies. Nami-swaaan!

BobLoblaw

Banned
Man. The filler stuff is really starting to bog this show down. I haven't read the manga or anything, but all of the stuff between Buggy/Mr. 3 is starting to bore the shit outta me and couldn't possibly be in manga. Or could it?

Himuro said:
One Piece anime isn't as good as the manga but it's still one of my favorites. It's well done and adds a lot of flavor to an already awesome cast. When you catch up I highly suggest joining us and watching the anime on onepieceofficial.com

Heck, you catch the first 100 episodes on onepieceofficial.com

Handles comedy in the same way.

Aproximately what chapter do I need to reach to catch up to the most recent episode?

grandjedi6

BobLoblaw said:
Man. The filler stuff is really starting to bog this show down. I haven't read the manga or anything, but all of the stuff between Buggy/Mr. 3 is starting to bore the shit outta me and couldn't possibly be in manga. Or could it?
Canon scenes:
-letting the prisoners loose
-Ivankov beating the bluegoris
-Luffy, Croc and Jimbei beating the demon guards [but not the filler fight beforehand]
-Blackbeard meeting Shiryuu
-Ivankov confronting Sadie-chan [but not fighting her]
-Hannybal appearing

Filler scenes:
-The other 18+ minutes of the episode.

The best (i.e. worst) part of course was the filler squads attempt to 'save Luffy time' by fighting the Demon Beasts themselves, yet all they managed to do was to slow down both Luffy and the plot.

grandjedi6

watervengeance said:
Are they at least fulfilling their quota of one chapter per episode?
No. This episode was made up of parts of two different chapters but even when added together it still didn't equal a full chapter's worth of material.

And unless Toei has suddenly discovered a new appreciation for leaving spoilers out of their previews, next week's episode is going to be even worse in this regard :/

grandjedi6 said:
No. This episode was made up of parts of two different chapters but even when added together it still didn't equal a full chapter's worth of material.

And unless Toei has suddenly discovered a new appreciation for leaving spoilers out of their previews, next week's episode is going to be even worse in this regard :/

Bleh. It's weird because the pacing "seems" to better now than when this arc first started, when in actuality, it got worse.

grandjedi6

watervengeance said:
Bleh. It's weird because the pacing "seems" to better now than when this arc first started, when in actuality, it got worse.
That's because more stuff is happening now compared to the beginning of the arc. Plus the pacing of the manga at this point is fast to the point where it started skipping scenes, affording the anime the chance to smartly fill the gaps with filler. Of course they are completely abusing it and therefore destorying whatever advantage that there was to be had.

RagnarokX

Just watched this week's ep. The filler was way worse than usual. I wish they'd get back on track with adapting full chapters into episodes. They totally messed up the demon guard fight.

bathala

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Just watched this week's ep. The filler was way worse than usual. I wish they'd get back on track with adapting full chapters into episodes. They totally messed up the demon guard fight.
i dont read the manga. how did the anime mess up the demon guard fight?

Hmm, probably just posted in the wrong OP thread. :lol

Anyway, yesterday Viz released volumes 39, 40, 41, 42, and 43, taking us almost all the way through the Enies Lobby arc! Next month: the conclusion + Thriller Bark.

Official US name is "Sniper King" btw. (...Although, "Sodom" is actually "Sodomu" in their interpretation?)

Crazymoogle said:
Hmm, probably just posted in the wrong OP thread. :lol

Anyway, yesterday Viz released volumes 39, 40, 41, 42, and 43, taking us almost all the way through the Enies Lobby arc! Next month: the conclusion + Thriller Bark.

Official US name is "Sniper King" btw. (...Although, "Sodom" is actually "Sodomu" in their interpretation?)

Wow Im going to need close to 200$ to pick up all these volumes in the fall when they finish this 5 volume rush. lol.

DTI, while you're reading the Arlong Park arc, you should know there's a pretty big translation issue with those scans (well, even worse than usual).

The fish people are called "fishmen," not mermaids. This becomes an important distinction once actual mermaids show up.

Himuro said:
What the hell. Mermen would have been a far better translation? Mermaids are typically female, no matter how you cut it.

Okay, I think the later translations refer to them as merfolk. The shitty early scanlations still call Arlong and his pirates "mermaids" though, which is hilarious.

The literal translation is that Fishmen are "Fish Man" (&#39770;&#20154;) and Merfolk are "Man Fish" (&#20154;&#39770;).

Firestorm

Early scanlators also seem to have a poor grasp of spoken English. Such awkward wording. Man I need there to be some sort of Amazon.ca or Chapters coupon/sale so I can pre-order the June & July volumes of One Piece. I miss the $10 off $40 coupon :(

Made it to Chapter 130. The fight with the candleman Mr 3 was pretty intereting. Seems like Mr 2 is coming up soon, after they take care of NAmi's fever.

Usop seems to be becoming more brave, he doesnt seem to want to run away anymore.

Sanji is still awesome though he had no fighting at all in the past chapters.

JDSN

Banned
He basically is Ethan Hunt during that part of the Arc, I really like when they use their other abilities besides their combat ones, like Ussop's tricks and
Franky's fast constructions

That fight showed how nuts Zoro is. :lol

Himuro said:
I SHALL CUT OFF MY LEGS

lol I thought he was actually going to do it and was shocked when he actually did like make his legs and such bleed. Though I dont understand, does Zoro have some advanced healing ability? Its like whenever he sleeps, he instantaneously heals.

LaneDS

lol I thought he was actually going to do it and was shocked when he actually did like make his legs and such bleed. Though I dont understand, does Zoro have some advanced healing ability? Its like whenever he sleeps, he instantaneously heals.

I think it's more a case of not letting injuries slow him down, and less of him having super healing abilities. He definitely takes some beatings.

Firestorm

Injuries apparently mean nothing in the world of One Piece. Every single one of them take abuse that would kill a goddamn whale and come out fine.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Firestorm said:
Injuries apparently mean nothing in the world of One Piece. Every single one of them take abuse that would kill a goddamn whale and come out fine.
:lol

Remind's me of
Kohza
getting his ass beat and still coming out fine.

Firestorm

Plywood said:

Remind's me of Kohza getting his ass beat and still coming out fine.
Pell
. Jesus. Should be dead. It was bullshit that he didn't die.

^Alabasta spoiler. Just felt like tagging for Dedication Through Light and this is a conversation he started after all.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Firestorm said:
Pell

^Alabasta spoiler. Just felt like tagging for Dedication Through Light and this is a conversation he started after all.
Went back and covered mine. So many people should've died. But this is One Piece, the will to live goes beyond mortality.

Griffith

Banned
Firestorm said:
Pell

That was the only one that really annoyed me. I can handle the rest, but god damn. It would have been the perfect way to do it too.

JDSN

Banned
Ussop is the bigger attack sponge, and they really make it a point be showing his fucking bones getting broken through X-ray-o-vision.

grandjedi6

aww, I'm going to miss tomorrow's episode. Might be the first I've missed the simucast yet :lol

Entropia said:
Don't forget
Pagaya
The fact that no one died in that arc just reinforces how useless lightning is in anime.

Himuro said:
Spandam

also
Robin kills him
He's not dead. He was shown on a cover page alive and in the hospital.

BobLoblaw

Banned
JDSN said:
Ussop is the bigger attack sponge, and they really make it a point be showing his fucking bones getting broken through X-ray-o-vision.
This. Remember when the tower of justice came down while Sogeking/Usopp was standing on it? I mean, that was like 40 stories up and all he does is bitch to Zoro and Sanji about not catching him when he hits the ground. :lol

Top Bottom