• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Firestorm

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow you all are hyping me up for Skypiea! lol awesome things must happen, I guess Ill put of studying and quickly get to it.
Eh it's good in the manga but can't hold a candle to Alabasta or Water 7

Firestorm said:
I just consider them one arc. Kind of like Jaya + Skypeia.

I'm with ya there, and also consider it the best. It just has absolutely everything, emotion, action, comedy. It's a big turning point for the crew too. I guess it was all downhill from there with the next arc though. (Not a fan of Thriller Bark at all)

Peff

Water 7/Ennies Lobby is amazing. The last page of chapter 390 is so, so epic <3. But Thriller Bark is great too, if only because it introduced Brook :D

Firestorm

I loved Saboady and liked Kuja Island but I'm not a big fan of Impel Down. I liked part 3 of the arc, but wanna see it animated first.

I seem to dislike the darkness of Impel Down and Thriller Bark. Needs more sunlight.

Peff

Yeah, the sense of urgency has been really well handled this arc. I think some people complained about
skipping fights or defeating enemies too fast but in the end it has been for the best. If you read it all at once it feels very intense. It also helped made the war seem more real, since there weren't 1 on 1 separate fights, but rather skirmishes here and there

Firestorm

Might also be the manga pacing for you vs the anime pacing for me. I'll probably re-evaluate after I'm done reading it from beginning to end when I get my volumes. I liked Skypeia more after I read it.

Come to think of it, I was able to watch Alabasta all in one go because I was still new to the series back then. I watched some of Skypeia, took a break, then watched it all at once too. I then took another break because K-F hadn't got that far, and by the time I decided to switch groups, I was able to watch Water 7 and Enies Lobby all at once. Got to Thriller Bark, took another break, saw it all in one go, and then have been watching weekly ever since.

Skypeia felt way too long at first because it seemed like such a detour.

Still, reading it in one sitting is awesome because it doesn't leave you time to stop and think about THAT, which means that when it comes it's one of the most awesome and hilarious unexpected moments ever.

Firestorm

Himuro said:
I have to catch up with the official releases. Haven't bought a volume in a while.

Sometimes I think it's futile because I mean, the chances of every volume being translated is slim, and you have to also consider how much fucking space they're going to take up once the series is finished.

But I get them anyways to support.

But still. It'd be great if Viz released mega sized volumes like they did with Kenshin.

You mean these?
http://www.amazon.com/One-Piece-East-Blue-1-2-3/

10-11-12 comes out in May.

I'm also happy about discovering this site in the manga thread: http://www.bookdepository.com/
Good savings and free shipping.

Anyone who loves the anime should also buy the manga to support. Cheaper than DVDs, better in print than digital imo (unlike videos), and it's something you probably haven't experienced yet! Going through the first few chapters was awesome as I mentioned earlier in the thread as I was doing my readthrough.

Ew the scans for chapters 200 and onwards are of such poor quality, like 204 was just ruined, lol, i cant cherish the artwork at all. Onto to chapter 206

So after finishing through 225 Chapters of One Piece
-Its a fantastic series, my experience has only been hampered by questionable scan, translations
-Definitely will buy all volumes in usa-eng
-Luffy's a decent main character, though in reading other titles in the same genre, perhaps ranks down there with Ichigo for me (from Bleach)
-Side characters like Zoro and Sanji are excellent additions
-Females definitely have virtually a secondary role in fighting in this series--fortunately the addition of Nico Robin to the cast eliminated this glaring flaw in the series since she has decent powers, I will even give some credit to BiBi-Vivi-BeBe-VeVe-Ms. Wednesday since she had a cool weapon

What do I want from One Piece
-Luffy and Ace fight
-Luffy and Zoro fight
-Zoro and Sanji fight
-Ace hasnt appeared since like more than 120+ chapters ago
-Zoro or Sanji getting Devil Fruit Powers
-Tashigi getting a larger role, though having her as seemingly Zoro's rival has been interesting
-More time with Smoker and Luffy, I want a true fight between those two
-Where is Shanks?! lol, he was seemingly searching for Luffy I thought but similar to the situation with Ace, hasnt been mentioned in like huneds of chapters.

Progress: 226/580 chapters
God. wow. This series is just going to shatter your hopes and dreams. I won't say why.

I'm starting to think One Piece is an elaborate troll by Eiichiro Oda. You go into it thinking it's a happy-go-lucky adventure about dreams and romance, and as each arc keeps mounting shit on top of shit, it's like it keeps punching you right in the soul. For the past 2-3 months I can't remember a moment in the story that contained any morsel of optimism.

Himuro said:
I have to catch up with the official releases. Haven't bought a volume in a while.

Sometimes I think it's futile because I mean, the chances of every volume being translated is slim, and you have to also consider how much fucking space they're going to take up once the series is finished.

But I get them anyways to support.

But still. It'd be great if Viz released mega sized volumes like they did with Kenshin.

What is THAT?:D

I think One Piece has strong enough support here to have its volumes keep getting released. Just look at some of the other titles that VIZ is publishing, certainly One Piece gets more sales than like their sigikki imprints, or that JoJo one and such.

The mega volumes release too slow I think, actually never mind, it looks like they are actually staying steady with at least releasing three volumes in one book.

How do the side bindings look for One Piece, do they at least go together cohesively on a bookshelf, like how all of the Naruto volumes have black spines and some artwork, or others in which the spines will collectively form an image?

Recently caught up on all the Funimation dubs.
I just can't get into the subs all that much.
I do wish they'd hurry up, though. I know that they have through almost episode 200 dubbed by Funimation, since that's where they picked it up from 4Kids.
Which, by the way, watching comparisons is just hilarious.

Himuro said:
They're just random spines. They don't form an image.

Ack thats gonna look odd on my bookshelf, lol, I guess Ill keep them with my randoms.

AceBandage said:
Recently caught up on all the Funimation dubs.
I just can't get into the subs all that much.
I do wish they'd hurry up, though. I know that they have through almost episode 200 dubbed by Funimation, since that's where they picked it up from 4Kids.
Which, by the way, watching comparisons is just hilarious.

I would get the newer dub as well, but they named the boxsets so oddly that I have no clue as to what the chronological order is, lol. I try to look it up but I can never find the right order.

Firestorm

How do the side bindings look for One Piece, do they at least go together cohesively on a bookshelf, like how all of the Naruto volumes have black spines and some artwork, or others in which the spines will collectively form an image?
I posted this yesterday but it looks like this:

8yb2oz.jpg

They colour code the title by what arc it is, but they only started since Skypeia.

Griffith

Banned
Oh boy!!! lol :p ahaha, I could finally start the anime now too, definitely. I wonder though, what the chances are for Funimation to dub every episode, lol. It has to be, apart from DBZ, their only long running series. What arc is season 2 sixth/seventh voyage?
Season 2 sixth voyage is the end of the Alabasta arc, and seventh voyage contains the post Alabasta filler.

As far as I know, FUNimation plans to dub the whole series.

Griffith said:
Season 2 sixth voyage is the end of the Alabasta arc, and seventh voyage contains the post Alabasta filler.

As far as I know, FUNimation plans to dub the whole series.

Sadly, though, at this rate, it'll take a few years just to get where the Japanese Anime is NOW.

Again, I know that they have at least up to episode 200 dubbed, so why they are releasing them in such small amounts is baffling.

Firestorm

One Piece is one of those series where I prefer it subbed just because I make this strong connection between Luffy and his Japanese VA. I have the same link between L in Death Note and his JP VA. They have this quirk in their voices that define them for me and I don't think it could be replicated by someone else.

I do love Luffy's English VA as Hawkeye in FMA though :)

Firestorm

I just went back to see our reactions to Episode 405 and saw that nobody but the manga readers reacted. I'm going to assume it's because we all didn't believe it at the time (I know I didn't) :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My sister wants to start watching the series, but the initial episodes are a bit weak and I fear she would lose interest. Should I start from the first one or start at a later, better one? Is there a good recap episode of the initial episodes? =P. I want her to like it haha

Peff

Me too, it's not so weird. Just warn her that the first few arcs are about introducing the characters and there should be no problem. As for the manga, I'm holding off until they release a Kanzenban like the one for Kenshin :D It'll take at least 10 years from now, but I'll wait :lol

Firestorm said:
You mean these?
http://www.amazon.com/One-Piece-East-Blue-1-2-3/

10-11-12 comes out in May.

I'm also happy about discovering this site in the manga thread: http://www.bookdepository.com/
Good savings and free shipping.

Anyone who loves the anime should also buy the manga to support. Cheaper than DVDs, better in print than digital imo (unlike videos), and it's something you probably haven't experienced yet! Going through the first few chapters was awesome as I mentioned earlier in the thread as I was doing my readthrough.

Wow, mega thanks for that Book Depository link. So much cheaper than where I've been buying them from(Chapters).

Made it to chapter 259. They are in Skypeia now. I thought their entrance into it was quite fantastic and although it for awhile was quite spare on the fights, it looks like some are coming. I like the use of the various Dials for the attacks and such, lol.

Definitely the chapter where they ride the stream up into the air and then fly upwards was definitely a mind blowing moment and one of the more memorable moments in the series, lol.

Maron

Easystride said:
Hmm... added up the Season 2 Fifth Voyage to my cart which totals up to $244. Can't decide if I want to pull the trigger. Does anyone here own all of the voyages? How are they?

I do! The OP FUNi dub on DVD was actually how I first got into the series, before I caught up to the current manga story. The dub is excellent. :D

How many episodes have you seen? If you're caught up to the current episodes, I can show you some nice clips with the dub VAs.

Maron said:
I do! The OP FUNi dub on DVD was actually how I first got into the series, before I caught up to the current manga story. The dub is excellent. :D

How many episodes have you seen? If you're caught up to the current episodes, I can show you some nice clips with the dub VAs.
Yea, I've seen all the episodes, and I've read all the chapters. If you happen to have any clips of Drum Island or Arlong Park that would be great, but you don't need to go out of your way for me since I can watch some on the official site. Those are probably my two favorite arcs that have been released so far.

Easystride said:
Yea, I've seen all the episodes, and I've read all the chapters. If you happen to have any clips of Drum Island or Arlong Park that would be great, but you don't need to go out of your way for me since I can watch some on the official site. Those are probably my two favorite arcs that have been released so far.

Oh oh oh choose something from Arlong Park!!! I wanna see !!!!

BobLoblaw

Banned
Here's my One Piece folder. :) As you can see, there aren't many episodes I'm missing. :D I'm gonna take the plunge and buy the DVD sets later this year because the quality on some of the earlier stuff isn't all that great.

16144020.png

BobLoblaw

Banned
Magnus_Bulla said:
I had all the episodes stored on my external HDD, along with 500 gigs of other anime. Lastt week my HDD died and I was fucking pissed.
I've got two backups of all of my anime. Never taking any chances. :D

Anime-wise I really didn't like Kuja Island arc. I think it was a combination of the story pacing plus the art that really put me off.

Water 7 + Enies is probably my favorite arc because of how epic everything is but I really love Sabaody. It got ridiculous by the end of it and the anime was presented beautifully. Just seeing those GIFs makes me want to rewatch it.

And yeah, I hope my external HDD doesn't fail out on me. Don't have it hooked up to see how many gigs it is but I do have every episode + movie. :lol Luckily KF releases so slowly these days I never miss the new releases to replace lesser subs.

Firestorm

I guess I should have expected that there were different classes of the "devil's fruits". Anyway I wonder what class is Choppers, Luffys, and Robins fruits are, http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/266/13/
What's called Elemental is actually called "Logia" in the localized version. I can't remember which volume, but one of the question corners with Oda answering readers' questions has a chart of all the fruits that had appeared up to that point and which of the three categories they fell under.

Chopper's is a Zoan type.
Luffy's should be Paramethia or whatever.
Ace is Logia as is Enel.
Robin I assume is Paramethia as well.

Diablos54

I'm at the end of the Skypeia arc now in the anime, and I just wanted to now how well the anime does the Water 7 arc? Please tell me it does it well? :D

I guess I should have expected that there were different classes of the "devil's fruits". Anyway I wonder what class is Choppers, Luffys, and Robins fruits are, http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/266/13/

I thought it was already explained at this point?

There are three basic fruit types.

Logia (Ace, Smoker, Enel, Crocodile): "Elemental" types, their bodies are made of elements and physical attacks are useless unless they're somehow canceled out (ex. Luffy using water on Crocodile). They can be cut apart and smashed, but as long as the user has mastered the fruit then they can subconsciously transform into that element to avoid taking damage. The rarest and most powerful type (with a few exceptions) that can obviously be used in nearly countless ways if the user is creative enough. Since many of these elements are extremely light or weightless, lots of Logias can fly.

Zoan (Chopper, Pell): "Animal" types, they can transform into animals at varying degrees, either staying in their original form, transforming fully, or mixing and matching properties to become a hybrid. Chopper's unique in that he's a reindeer who at the Human-Human Fruit, which you'd assume would have no effect on an actual human. There are some basic types for categories of animal (Dog, Bird, Snake, etc.) with different "models" for different species and breeds inside those categories. There are some extremely rare types of Zoan Fruits with unique properties, but I won't spoil you on that.

Paramecia (Luffy, Buggy, Robin): "Superhuman" types, with a huge range of abilities that can range from unpredictably powerful to nearly useless. The most common type of Devil Fruit. Often bizarre and strange changes to the human body itself. Some Paramecia types can be confused for Logia types, but they cannot truly transform into that element itself, only produce it or take on the properties of that element. For example, Luffy's body has some properties of rubber and Mr. 3 has some properties of wax (and can produce it), but their bodies are not actually made of rubber and wax.

EmCeeGramr said:
I thought it was already explained at this point?

There are three basic fruit types.

Logia (Ace, Smoker, Enel, Crocodile): "Elemental" types, their bodies are made of elements and physical attacks are useless unless they're somehow canceled out (ex. Luffy using water on Crocodile). They can be cut apart and smashed, but as long as the user has mastered the fruit then they can subconsciously transform into that element to avoid taking damage. The rarest and most powerful type (with a few exceptions) that can obviously be used in nearly countless ways if the user is creative enough. Since many of these elements are extremely light or weightless, lots of Logias can fly.

Oh wow so thats why Luffy had such a difficult time beating Crocodile and cant ever do damage to Smoker, lol.

Oh wow so thats why Luffy had such a difficult time beating Crocodile and cant ever do damage to Smoker, lol.

Exactly. Crocodile and Smoker have trained themselves to unconsciously turn into sand/smoke whenever their bodies are hit, so attacks pass through harmlessly. It also means that you could cut them up like Buggy and the cut up pieces would just turn into that element and reform.

Firestorm

Diablos54 said:
I'm at the end of the Skypeia arc now in the anime, and I just wanted to now how well the anime does the Water 7 arc? Please tell me it does it well? :D
Soooo good. I saw the anime before the manga. Goddamn ;_; at the you know what fight.

LaneDS

Yeah, the anime is at its best during Water 7/Enies Lobby. Everything is on point, character designs, animation, action, humor. So good.

Top Bottom