• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Diablos54 said:
I'm at the end of the Skypeia arc now in the anime, and I just wanted to now how well the anime does the Water 7 arc? Please tell me it does it well? :D

Probably the best the anime ever is. Besides 3-4 "filler" episodes just showing flashbacks of their origin stories it's the cream of the crop.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Diablos54 said:
I'm at the end of the Skypeia arc now in the anime, and I just wanted to now how well the anime does the Water 7 arc? Please tell me it does it well? :D
It was amazing. Granted I never read the manga and can't compare it, but it's still my favorite arc in any anime ever.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Anth0ny said:
I thought Water 7 kinda dragged on, especially the later stuff. But it was better than Skypiea, that's for sure.
Heretic!

mob.jpeg

Firestorm

Anth0ny said:
I thought Water 7 kinda dragged on, especially the later stuff. But it was better than Skypiea, that's for sure.
I saw Water 7 all in one gulp and like Alabasta I could not stop. it was one of those get up, watch til night, sleep, repeat shows at that point.

Im at Chapter 301 now. At this rate, I am to catch up by the end of this weekend hopefully!!!! Are recent manga chapters even discussed in this thread?

Anyway my thoughts after the defeat of Eneru

Ohhhhhhhhh

2 Historical Texts Thus Far (Pluton and Skypeia)
Gold D Roger wrote on the one in Skypeia
About dangerous weapons
Poseidon

ZOMG the mystery is getting so intriguing, IM STILL DYING to know what/where this ONE PIECE is, lol. The writer just needs to say it already, or give more clues, its fun having the clues and trying to guess.

Anth0ny

Firestorm said:
I saw Water 7 all in one gulp and like Alabasta I could not stop. it was one of those get up, watch til night, sleep, repeat shows at that point.

Maybe it seemed to drag on more for me because that's when I caught up to the anime. The
Kaku vs. Zoro/Sogeking
fight felt like an eternity.

Griffith

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Im at Chapter 301 now. At this rate, I am to catch up by the end of this weekend hopefully!!!! Are recent manga chapters even discussed in this thread?
No, recent chapters are discussed in the manga thread. This thread is mainly for the anime only and people such as yourself who are catching up. I'd suggest that when you get past where the anime currently is, spoiler tag your thoughts in here until you catch up completely, then move to he manga thread.

ZOMG the mystery is getting so intriguing, IM STILL DYING to know what/where this ONE PIECE is, lol. The writer just needs to say it already, or give more clues, its fun having the clues and trying to guess.

While we don't know what it is, we do have a good idea where it is.

Ultimatum

Banned
You guys are insane. Skypeia was amazing. I watched the episodes back to back and loved every second of it. Enies Lobby > Skypeia > Alabasta > Arlong > Thriller Bark

Anth0ny

Himuro said:
Bath this thread in acid to rid it of the Skypiea haters.

Hate is such a strong word.

Let's save it for our feelings toward Thriller Bark, shall we? Skypiea wasn't bad, in fact, it was good! But it wasn't great, like the other arcs in the story.

Besides Thriller Bark ._.

Firestorm

Anime is at Chapter 543/581. After that move onto the Manga thread.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Himuro said:
Bath this thread in acid to rid it of the Skypiea haters.
IMO, Skypeia was better than Thriller Bark. Granted it gave us awesome characters like Oars/Oz, Perona, and Moria, but it was pretty much just a setup for
Brook joining and Kuma's intro

LaneDS

BobLoblaw said:
IMO, Skypeia was better than Thriller Bark. Granted it gave us awesome characters like Oars/Oz, Perona, and Moria, but it was pretty much just a setup for
Brook joining and Kuma's intro

Better than simply introducing dials to the series!

I like Skypiea more than Thriller Bark, but it irks me it's so long and barely advanced the story, outside of the bit about the Poneglyph. And, y'know, dials.

Entropia

No One Remembers
LaneDS said:
Better than simply introducing dials to the series!

I like Skypiea more than Thriller Bark, but it irks me it's so long and barely advanced the story, outside of the bit about the Poneglyph. And, y'know, dials.

One of my favorite things about Skypiea is that it brings a sense of adventure to the series. I mean, it's awesome what's currently going on in the manga but it just doesn't have that sense of adventure and wonderment that made Skypiea and some of the earlier chapters more charming.

LaneDS

Entropia said:
One of my favorite things about Skypiea is that it brings a sense of adventure to the series. I mean, it's awesome what's currently going on in the manga but it just doesn't have that sense of adventure and wonderment that made Skypiea and some of the earlier chapters more charming.

Really? To me, it felt like just another fantastic stop on the Grand Line. Sure, this particular spot is, y'know, floating super high in the sky, but I feel like every stop for the Strawhats is pretty jaw-dropping in its own way. Maybe not as much so as Skypiea, but still.

Peff

WTF at Thriller Bark hate, it was awesome.
Sanji and his Devil Fruit mini-arc were great, and he was at his craziest, all the Strawhats fighting Oz was pretty cool and Brook is one of the best crew members. I understand some people wanted a shorter, more relaxed adventure-y island arc after the intensity of Ennies Lobby, but I liked it

Oh Chapters 323 on the way to Water Seven

There is no way they can beat any of the top admirals, Blue Pheasant owned them all, especially Luffy!!! The crew needs some elemental power!!!

I think for me thus far, I liked Alabasata Arc > Skypeia > Arlong on the basis of fighting. Skpeia had a greater environment and adventurous feeling.

I hope Going Merry gets an upgrade. I wonder if someone attempted to make a lifesize replica...

Peff said:
WTF at Thriller Bark hate, it was awesome.
Sanji and his Devil Fruit mini-arc were great, and he was at his craziest, all the Strawhats fighting Oz was pretty cool and Brook is one of the best crew members. I understand some people wanted a shorter, more relaxed adventure-y island arc after the intensity of Ennies Lobby, but I liked it

Was that filler? I stopped watching it there and read the manga instead. Where did this Sanji-devil fruit thing come from?

Anyway my thoughts after the defeat of Eneru

Ohhhhhhhhh

2 Historical Texts Thus Far (Pluton and Skypeia)
Gold D Roger wrote on the one in Skypeia
About dangerous weapons
Poseidon

Dude, just chill, it'll all eventually come together (even if it still hasn't right now). One Piece is an expert at bringing up mysteries and details, seemingly dropping them or not paying them too much attention, and then suddenly bringing them back hundreds of chapters later... then everybody goes back to the original chapter and sees that hints to those future events were actually there all along.

I like Thriller Bark. I just think it goes for a little too long. Especially in the anime. I really like the single arc areas like Skypea and Thriller Bark because it show's other sides to their world. Not everything is pirates vs marines.

Ultimatum said:
You guys are insane. Skypeia was amazing. I watched the episodes back to back and loved every second of it. Enies Lobby > Skypeia > Alabasta > Arlong > Thriller Bark
Best order, i tip my hat to you my fine gentleman, though i must say the end of Thriller Bark is pretty damn awesome.

Griffith

Banned
oh someone on that myanimelist site pointed me to the bleach.animeexile site for one piece. Are they truly better than One Manga for reading these old chapters?
No, all the sites use the same scans for older chapters.

I decided to while simultaneously reading the chapter, watch the anime for a clip of the selected fight. Which I was able to fortunately find in decent quality on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNYb3_PEpz8

It seemed to condense the fight of two chapters into one episode, but more importantly, it really did show that Luffy had no time at all to recover from Usops tricks and attacks. I didnt think he would last that long against Luffy, and all those shuriken, stars, and other devices, Luffy took lots of blood loss.

I decided to while simultaneously reading the chapter, watch the anime for a clip of the selected fight. Which I was able to fortunately find in decent quality on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNYb3_PEpz8

It seemed to condense the fight of two chapters into one episode, but more importantly, it really did show that Luffy had no time at all to recover from Usops tricks and attacks. I didnt think he would last that long against Luffy, and all those shuriken, stars, and other devices, Luffy took lots of blood loss.

Definitely one of my favorite fights.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I am a weird OP fan I guess.

I liked Skypiea, I thought it had good badass action (BATTLE ROYALE) and Eneru vs. Luffy was excellent excellent excellent with a fantastic satisfying payoff with the bell at the end. I do agree the arc was too long and the pacing was too slow for it, but I still thought it was a great ride.

I loved Thriller Bark! OP doing UNDEAD ZOMBIES was so hilarious and fun. There were so many great horror spoof scenes and the characters were all pretty good. The only thing I didn't care for so much was the Moria fight which wasn't the most exciting.

otoh, I didn't care for Eneis Lobby arc. It's my least favorite "real arc". It became too much of a bleach-style fighting manga to me. I loved sokakage king but that's about it. I'm also not a fan of animal fruit users so the villians were kinda eh to me. I was glad when it was over. I really liked Water 7 though. The city and cast was interesting.

The only part of OP that I absolutely hated and could not wait until it ended was the Davey-back Fight arc. The "game" event was too silly and fillerish to me.

Firestorm

I consider Davey Back a transition point. It was terrible imo but I don't count it as an arc. I also preferred Water 7 to Enies Lobby but I consider it all one big arc and both were great. Mostly because of that moment where (spoilered for DtL)
Robin goes "I want to live" and they shoot down the flag and you're all like FUCK YEAAHHHH as Luffy declares war on the World Government

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Easystride said:
Just came across the cover for the next DVD voyage at apforums.
Looks good. The Jaya + Skypiea arc is very epic.
Thank god. The whole "3-4 cg character art photoshopped on a blank background" was so ugly. Leave it to the Jaya Arc to have the first good cover.

Oh, and reposting for future's sake:

155q89j.jpg

Firestorm said:
I consider Davey Back a transition point. It was terrible imo but I don't count it as an arc. I also preferred Water 7

What do you mean terrible? I thought it was pretty fun and hilarious in the manga. Especially the boat race and the ball game. I mean I think it could have had a better ending than drawing on the pirate flag

BTW Im on chapter 375 and they seem to be about to arrive on Ennis Lobby, is this still Water 7 arc or not?

Vieo

Hmm.. Hmm...

If Enel ever came down from the sky, wouldn't he basically be unbeatable? Dude could just use his "Judgement" to fry whoever opposes him from miles away. Luffy told Enel there were a lot of guys on the ground who could beat him, but I don't think that's realistic.

Griffith

Banned
BTW Im on chapter 375 and they seem to be about to arrive on Ennis Lobby, is this still Water 7 arc or not?
Chapter 375 is the start of the Enies Lobby arc. Both are part of the CP9 Saga though.

Vieo said:
Hmm.. Hmm...

If Enel ever came down from the sky, wouldn't he basically be unbeatable? Dude could just use his "Judgement" to fry whoever opposes him from miles away. Luffy told Enel there were a lot of guys on the ground who could beat him, but I don't think that's realistic.

I believe Oda said in one SBS, the whole point of Skypeia taking place in this "other realm" was because someone like Enel would be too powerful in the normal world

Vieo said:
Hmm.. Hmm...

Would they even die if he did use "Judgment" on them? :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
In other One Piece news, all 5 volumes that were released this week managed to make the New York Times Manga Best Seller List. This is absurdly good for One Piece considering its previous infrequent and short existances on said list. I suppose it speaks volumes when you consider how much better the Water 7 releases are doing compared to the Skypeia ones.

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
In other One Piece news, all 5 volumes that were released this week managed to make the New York Times Manga Best Seller List. This is absurdly good for One Piece considering its previous infrequent and short existances on said list. I suppose it speaks volumes when you consider how much better the Water 7 releases are doing compared to the Skypeia ones.
Wow. Naruto and Bleach are on there like every week.

Xux

Firestorm said:
Robin goes "I want to live" and they shoot down the flag and you're all like FUCK YEAAHHHH as Luffy declares war on the World Government

I still go back and watch that scene on YouTube every once in awhile.

Maron

Easystride said:
Yea, I've seen all the episodes, and I've read all the chapters. If you happen to have any clips of Drum Island or Arlong Park that would be great, but you don't need to go out of your way for me since I can watch some on the official site. Those are probably my two favorite arcs that have been released so far.

I should visit this thread more often...sorry if I took a while.

Arlong Park Clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8jFAvOfP24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeP7RVEXQUg&feature=related

Drum Kingdom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9TxI7yA01c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et1DEspGVzA&feature=related

Bellemere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC61Mmt5j8M&feature=related

Hiriluk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ONynfV1PT0&feature=related

Family (character song in English): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZz0pndp6GM&feature=related

Family can barely be heard in the background, though.
Also, there's a lot more clips from each of the arcs I posted. You can find them easily by looking at the related videos.

Top Bottom