• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Alright so after finishing 440 chapters of One Piece (my last post was 4-12 at chapter 226, so about 200 chapters this week), I must say that One Piece still retains is lovable adventurous qualities that makes it an interesting and fun series to read.

So after finishing through 440 Chapters of One Piece
-Scans are improving, Im still convinced that I wanna reread it all the way through once I do get the volumes; the things at some of the ends of chapters are difficult to read, and I would wanna pay more attention to cover chapter panels
-Luffy has rose to nearly have an equal place with me as Naruto has in being a great and lovable, fantastic, charming, emotional main character who believes in friendship and true dedication for lofty goals. Kind of inspirational too
-Nami getting powered up after Skypeia was an awesome addition, second only to Sakura Haruno, in other mangas, for side-character female power
-Zoro and Sanji continues to impress
-The chapter in which they said goodbye to Going Merry was really sad and I didnt want it to go too, I think I had tears and stuff, possibly the most emotional chapter thus far
-Thousand Sunny is awesome

-Id have to put this Water 7~Enies Lobby (CP9 conglomorate) as my second favorite arc, with Alabasta being my favorite. Skypeia was nice too.

What do I want from One Piece?
-Zoro or Sanji getting Devil Fruit Powers
-Tashigi and Zoro fight
-Ace fight
-Smoker fight (I think hes a pretty awesome marine, antagonist)
-Luffy going 4th Gear

The Blackbeard, Whitebeard, Ace, and Shanks thing confuses me so I cant really think of what I want from them.

Probably my last time doing a post like this here since Im so close to catching.

Progress: 440/581 chapters

tri_willy said:
hehehe... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
flintstryker said:
Teehee *giggles*

Nice one guys. Way to go!

The door is over there. --->

Dedication Through Light said:

-Luffy going 4th Gear

Ugh, I hope that stuff never happens. I honestly don't really like the Gears. Gear 2 is nice because it means shits about to go down and 3 for desperation sakes but I really don't want Oda going this route. I would much rather Luffy just getting stronger on his own. I think he is going to go a different route soon though with future stuff.

And Zoro and Sanji getting Devil Fruit's would ruin it in my opinion. It's nice to have a balance in the crew plus Zoro / Sanji saving the Devil Fruit users when they jump in oceans never gets old. I don't even think they would eat on given the chance though either.

BobLoblaw

Banned
:lol That would be absolutely terrible in my opinion. Knowing that they're mere "men" that have the ability to take on greater foes is what appeals to people the most. Zoro wants to be the best swordsman in the world. His character's very nature is to try to surpass himself constantly. Having a devil's fruit power would undermine everything that he's been working towards throughout the series. Besides, Mihawk is renowned as the best swordsman alive, is a warlord, and doesn't have any DF powers. As for Sanji, he really doesn't need one. When you can kick almost anything through anything, what would be the point?

VGChampion said:
Ugh, I hope that stuff never happens. I honestly don't really like the Gears. Gear 2 is nice because it means shits about to go down and 3 for desperation sakes but I really don't want Oda going this route. I would much rather Luffy just getting stronger on his own. I think he is going to go a different route soon though with future stuff.

Unless some new thing is brought up in future chapters then its the only way I see it going. Werent Gears just his way of managing to access the same advanced techniques that members of the CP9 used? Oh well, I guess I will have to wait and see.

VGChampion said:
And Zoro and Sanji getting Devil Fruit's would ruin it in my opinion. It's nice to have a balance in the crew plus Zoro / Sanji saving the Devil Fruit users when they jump in oceans never gets old. I don't even think they would eat on given the chance though either.

BobLoblaw said:
That would be absolutely terrible in my opinion. Knowing that they're mere "men" that have the ability to take on greater foes is what appeals to people the most. Zoro wants to be the best swordsman in the world. His character's very nature is to try to surpass himself constantly. Having a devil's fruit power would undermine everything that he's been working towards throughout the series. Besides, Mihawk is renowned as the best swordsman alive, is a warlord, and doesn't have any DF powers. As for Sanji, he really doesn't need one. When you can kick almost anything through anything, what would be the point?

I think it would be interesting if they did in fact get the fruit, but both of them seem to have some nearly supernatural powers at times, so I guess that circumvents the necessity for the DF powers; but as long as they didnt get the fruits that cause them to become man beasts then I think it would greatly enhance their skill set and make them even more interesting.

MCD said:
no one dies in one piece.

t0mdmr.jpg

Nah way. Zoro and Sanji definitely need to stay the way they are. As has been said, the fact that they're "regular"(and I cannot emphasize the quotes enough here, lol) dudes is part of the appeal of their characters.

Also, jesus christ guys, is the laughing really necessary? Why don't you just put out a big neon sign?

BobLoblaw said:
:lol That would be absolutely terrible in my opinion. Knowing that they're mere "men" that have the ability to take on greater foes is what appeals to people the most. Zoro wants to be the best swordsman in the world. His character's very nature is to try to surpass himself constantly. Having a devil's fruit power would undermine everything that he's been working towards throughout the series. Besides, Mihawk is renowned as the best swordsman alive, is a warlord, and doesn't have any DF powers. As for Sanji, he really doesn't need one. When you can kick almost anything through anything, what would be the point?

+1

Them not having powers makes it much better.

Maron

The Blackbeard, Whitebeard, Ace, and Shanks thing confuses me so I cant really think of what I want from them.

If you want, I can explain it to you (spoiler-free of course, as it does soon become quite relevant).

Ugh I dont think it was explained well but the Chapter with Ace and BlackBeard fighting (like Chapter 440, was that a flashback or happening in the current time?

And in other events, Thriller Bark isnt all that good :(

Maron said:
If you want, I can explain it to you (spoiler-free of course, as it does soon become quite relevant).

Oh please do!

JDSN

Banned
Did someone say no one dies in One piece? HAHAHA BAKA GAIJIN HAS NO IDEA WHAT ITS COMING TO HIM!!

Stop it, you are embarracing yourselves and hinting things you should not be hinting in an anime thread.

JDSN

Banned
I think the worst death was when those Arabastian warriors took a poison that would allow them to get stronger at the cost of death to fight Crocodile and the guy just dodged their attacks while mocking them until they died. Or fainted, please God let them be dead.

I find it funny how people keep claiming that no one dies in one piece, when it was pretty clear that those elite guards dudes in arabasta who challenged crocodile after drinking the forbidden water died.

Maron

Ugh I dont think it was explained well but the Chapter with Ace and BlackBeard fighting (like Chapter 440, was that a flashback or happening in the current time?

And in other events, Thriller Bark isnt all that good :(

Oh please do!

Ok. First, chapter 440 is a current event but it leads to other things happening very, very soon. Basically, Blackbeard killed a member of Whitebeard's crew to get a Devil Fruit he wanted. Ace, knowing that allowing him to get away with this would mean shame to the Whitebeard pirates, then leaves off Whitebeard's crew (with permission) to confront him.

Blackbeard, remembering Luffy from when they first met in Jaya's Mock Town, still wants to kill Luffy and collect his bounty and announces this to Ace. Naturally, this leads to Ace fighting for two things (his pride as a Commander of the Whitebeard Pirates, and his brother's life). Shanks really doesn't want Ace to get to Blackbeard since he knows firsthand how strong he is (even before he got that Devil Fruit, he gave Shanks those trademark scars across his face). He's worried about the safety of Luffy's brother is all.

Also worth noting: Although Blackbeard (real name Marshall D. Teach) knows who Luffy is, Luffy has no idea that the man who told him to never stop dreaming was the guy his brother told him he was after in Alabasta.

I'm really sorry if this was too long, but I was trying to make it comprehensive at the same time. Trust me, things get much better after Thriller Bark (and stay that way).

Firestorm

I hope he doesn't go Gear 4th. Haki is already kinda bullshit imo =/

Oh, and there's a certain event that will happen later that I think everyone would love to hear your reaction to Dedication Through Light. You'll know what it is when you hit it. It's still before where we are in the anime so it's fair game.

Oh and this:
Did someone say no one dies in One piece? HAHAHA BAKA GAIJIN HAS NO IDEA WHAT ITS COMING TO HIM!!

Stop it, you are embarracing yourselves and hinting things you should not be hinting in an anime thread.
Yeesh.

Om3ga

I guess the general conscensus is that nobody "important" dies in One Piece. Nameless people/Fodder have died and will continue to die in this manga. The expectation that people WONT die in OP is silly though as Oda has already said he would kill major and important characters if it were important to the plot.

Just because it hasn't happened since you've been reading the manga doens't mean it won't happen, as it's only a matter of time.

Om3ga

Firestorm said:
I hope he doesn't go Gear 4th. Haki is already kinda bullshit imo =/

Oh, and there's a certain event that will happen later that I think everyone would love to hear your reaction to Dedication Through Light. You'll know what it is when you hit it. It's still before where we are in the anime so it's fair game.

Oh and this:
Yeesh.
I don't think Haki is bullshit as it was shown since the very first chapter of OP when Shanks scared off the sea king. It's not as if Haki is unique to Luffy as it's pretty much something anyone can have. After seeing all these broken devil fruits and how underpowered his really is, at least there is something that will enable him to compete (since Luffy doesn't use weapons). With the power certain people have gained lately I don't even know if Haki will be enough.

I think a forth Gear would be silly for Luffy to obtain as well(unless it's a combination of Haki and Gear Second). In your opinion what would be a suitable power up for Luffy?

Firestorm

Om3ga said:
In your opinion what would be a suitable power up for Luffy?
Creative uses of his existing techniques and abilities. I liked the water against Crocodile strat and the nature of his fruit (Rubber) keeping him safe from Enel's (Lightning). I could justify Second Gear as that's him again using his ability to mimick what he saw from CP9.

What I don't want is DBZ/Bleach style of powerups where they're magically stronger than their last form.

mysticwhip said:
Never know this was the anime only thread, I thought i was one piece as a whole.
It's not so much talking about the manga that's the issue, it more about talking about stuff in the manga that hasn't happened in the anime yet. As a anime-only watcher, I know I wouldn't appreciate people who've read the manga coming in and saying "Oh dude, how crazy is it that Whitebeard's actually a sentient palm tree".

Magnus_Bulla said:
It's not so much talking about the manga that's the issue, it more about talking about stuff in the manga that hasn't happened in the anime yet. As a anime-only watcher, I know I wouldn't appreciate people who've read the manga coming in and saying "Oh dude, how crazy is it that Whitebeard's actually a sentient palm tree".
Theres no other place to talk about the manga for One Piece, the thread for the manga unfortunately would reveal everything thats occurring, or in my case as Im trying to catch up, and spoil. I assume that here the anime is in a filler as it doesnt even seem like the recent episodes are discussed much at all, and that the place where Im at in the manga (Chp 457 - OZ in Thriller Bark) has already occurred in the manga. Of course with the stuff that people keep seeming to post to try to allude to here I would assume that something major has happened in recent manga chapters...

Maron

Actually, the anime's in a canon arc right now. I think the reason there's less discussion is due to the pacing of these later 1 chapter episodes (some recent ones have been worse than ever when it comes to that). In fact, I've stopped watching weekly months ago and am now just tuning in when they get to chapters that I particularly want to see in motion.

You should be free to discuss past manga chapters whenever you want here, from what I understand.

Mr 9 got killed by Mr. 5 when he was protecting Miss. Wednesday (Vivi) if you guys remember.

And can anyone give me the link to the manga thread?

EDIT: One more thing. Ive finally caught up to the anime after a 6 year break and was wondering if anyone knew what day new episdoes release? and who is the best and fastest subber to get it from?

Griffith

Banned
ShutDown202 said:
Mr 9 got killed by Mr. 5 when he was protecting Miss. Wednesday (Vivi) if you guys remember.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216788

Just so you know, spoiler tags are not used in that thread.

ShutDown202 said:
EDIT: One more thing. Ive finally caught up to the anime after a 6 year break and was wondering if anyone knew what day new episdoes release? and who is the best and fastest subber to get it from?
New eps come out today in a few hours. If you're in the US FUNimation puts them up on their site a hour after it airs in Japan.

ShutDown202 said:

I think they come out on Sundays? Well thats when it seems like people post comments about the new episode here :p

neoanarch

ShutDown202 said:

are you outside of the US? The official subs are fantastic and available right after airing and the quality is better than most people say it is.

Firestorm

Theres no other place to talk about the manga for One Piece, the thread for the manga unfortunately would reveal everything thats occurring, or in my case as Im trying to catch up, and spoil. I assume that here the anime is in a filler as it doesnt even seem like the recent episodes are discussed much at all, and that the place where Im at in the manga (Chp 457 - OZ in Thriller Bark) has already occurred in the manga. Of course with the stuff that people keep seeming to post to try to allude to here I would assume that something major has happened in recent manga chapters...
You're allowed to discuss the manga here until you hit where the anime is. We're on Chapter 543 or so. You still have another 90 chapters to go before you're caught up.

As mentioned, the anime episode comes out on Saturday so we're just waiting for the new episode. There usually isn't much discussion as they are going a little slowly and it's building up to the final act of the arc right now.

Steroyd said:
I doubt Zoro would, but Sanji definitely would if it was a certain particular DF. :lol

Oh just made it to the chapter, he wanted the Suke Suke Fruit; of course I could only see him wanting that power, lol. If I lived in the One Piece world, I would surely try to find me a devil fruit

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Its amazing what difference a good animation director can make to an episode. Not only did the episode look great but it was paced well despite still covering less than a chapter's worth of material. Plus, unlike previous episodes where we got stuff like Buggy filler, this time our filler was Luffy knocking out the Demon Guard. Definitely a moment to add to a "list of awesome anime additions".

Btw, the rest of the episodes in this arc are thankfully returning to having 1 chapter's worth of content per episode. With the good directors we're going to have for the next few episodes it seems that this arc will at least end on a high note.

Anyone else hoping for a "Kai"-esque release when One Piece is all said and done? Ever since the Amazon Lily arc the anime took a much slower pace. I would love a more concise series minus all the filler. I still sort of wish the G8 arc was official but it wouldn't make a lot of sense with Enies right around the corner.

I think I've brought this up before.

Yeah, I liked the G8 arc as well. I didn't even know it was filler at the time, since I'm not reading the manga. Sometimes the filler's pretty obvious, but I thought G8 was done well.

VGChampion said:
Anyone else hoping for a "Kai"-esque release when One Piece is all said and done?

Like any of us will be around to see it. :D

Loved the little Walk to Arlong Park tribute.

And they are really milking the Ivankov fanservice :lol

Steroyd

flintstryker said:
I find it funny how people keep claiming that no one dies in one piece, when it was pretty clear that those elite guards dudes in arabasta who challenged crocodile after drinking the forbidden water died.

The alabasta arc and Pell was what started to set the tone for my cynicism of anyone not really dying in One Piece, and the Sypaeia arc made the cynic in me even worse to the point that until I actually see their dead bodies being dead rather than an off screen shriek of pain they're not really dead.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
bathala said:
eh flashbacks. I just want the anime to get to the navy already.

I think its time for me to start reading the manga.
If it helps, there are only 4-5 more episodes of this arc.

VGChampion said:
Anyone else hoping for a "Kai"-esque release when One Piece is all said and done? Ever since the Amazon Lily arc the anime took a much slower pace. I would love a more concise series minus all the filler. I still sort of wish the G8 arc was official but it wouldn't make a lot of sense with Enies right around the corner.

I think I've brought this up before.
It wouldn't work. Most of One Piece's filler are scenes that are integrated into the plot in order to bring the episode to the appropriate length. So you can't just cut & paste them out without ruining the episode's pacing even more. For example, take this latest episode: if you were to remove the flashbacks and such, then the episode wouldn't be long enough. So they would have to add scenes from the next episode, but that would ruin this episode's pacing and ending.

Additionally, what even constitutes 'filler' here? Obviously, its anything that's not in the manga but there is a very big difference between random 'time buying' shit and material that expands upon the manga (think the stupidity of the Davy Back filler vs Luffy's fight versus Minotaurs in this episode). All a "One Piece Kai" would accomplish is fixing the Davy Back Fight arc and removing the filler arcs/episodes (some of which are worth keeping).

Summary: There's little to no benefit from having a "Kai'-style remake of One Piece.

I'd rather they do movie adaptions of each arc instead of a remake. Even better if they split it into multiple movies for the longer arcs.

A movie for Impel Down would be awesome.

Top Bottom