• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

zoukka

I wish the artist would use greyshades in each panel or just learned to be better at compositing black & white levels. The panels in One Piece are often cluttered with equally strong lines and multiple characters making it really fucking annoying to read. His shading and shadowing is so light it's almost non-existent. It's better in the action sequences where he exaggerates movement with heavy line-shadowing.

Reknoc

Dedication Through Light said:
I love how Hancock? always bends her head all the way back, its so hilarious. chp 524

Yea, Hancock is great, looking down on someone so much she's looking up. I love those little quirks Oda adds to his characters.

Can't wait to see the Blackbeard and luffy fight. Trouble is because of my OCD I have to watch episodes in sets of 2 always staying on even numbers. So I have to wait for 448 to watch the eps.... Sucks to be me :lol

Steroyd said:
Word of warning the arc after that is where the anime is, and pretty soon you'll become one of that-manga-bastard-that-is-likely-to spoiler-the-poor-anime-only-folk.

So was the most recent episode at the beginning of an arc or the end of an arc. Ill start watching it if its somewhere where I can easily start from and isnt in filler at the moment.

Steroyd

Quicksilva said:
Can't wait to see the Blackbeard and luffy fight. Trouble is because of my OCD I have to watch episodes in sets of 2 always staying on even numbers. So I have to wait for 448 to watch the eps.... Sucks to be me :lol

Sucks for you if One Piece ended on 999 episodes. :lol

So was the most recent episode at the beginning of an arc or the end of an arc. Ill start watching it if its somewhere where I can easily start from and isnt in filler at the moment.

It's closer to the end of the arc than the beginning, but still a ways off, the manga's pace is very quick in the impel down arc you'll catch up and surpass in no time and the only filler you have to worry about in the anime are additions to what happens in the manga rather than full blown side story arcs.

Steroyd said:
Sucks for you if One Piece ended on 999 episodes. :lol

head_explode-779507.jpg

Himuro said:
Read Impel Down arc. It sucks in the anime. It's supposed to be fast paced and go from location to location and have a sense of tension. This effect is lost in the anime, unfortunately.
lol What is this arc a reunion of sorts? Baroque Works people, lol. I still want my Zoro and other strawhats and more of Hancock!

Oh and one thing that wasnt explained at all well, what is that Haki power that both her, the old man Rayliegh were talking about. I dont know if I read through the Amazon Lily too fast and missed the discussion there.

Steroyd

Oh and one thing that wasnt explained at all well, what is that Haki power that both her, the old man Rayliegh were talking about. I dont know if I read through the Amazon Lily too fast and missed the discussion there.

You didn't miss anything, haki is a power that's being foreshadowed without anyone in the manga/anime properly explaining what it is exactly, all we can do atm is put together what people with control of haki have actually done and come to our own conclusions and atm it has been used as a counter to logia's insolubleness/Luffy's rubberness and knocking out fodder enemies.

Reknoc

Steroyd said:
You didn't miss anything, haki is a power that's being foreshadowed without anyone in the manga/anime properly explaining what it is exactly, all we can do atm is put together what people with control of haki have actually done and come to our own conclusions and atm it has been used as a counter to logia's insolubleness/Luffy's rubberness and knocking out fodder enemies.

Scaring off Seakings in the very first chapter aswell.

Was randomly poking around GoodAnime.net and found an animated version of Romance Dawn. Its not like the 0 version manga but set in a similar way to the Strong world build up episodes. Was quite nice to see all the crew and such and it was alot like the very early eps with no crazy powers (until the last bit) :D

I really hate the long plain flashbacks of older episodes "yes I know, I watched that episode, thank you".

Would be awesome if someone edits and cuts all the episodes into a continuous giant movies (one for each arc) w/o old episode-flashbacks, intros, recaps, repeating scenes etc.
Maybe even w/o fillers.
Would still be several days long but I would totally watch that shit :lol

Reknoc

Wasn't one of the movies basically that anyway? Though I'm not sure since the last movie I watched was the one with cool windscreen wipers glasses and jigglys.

Reknoc

Oh yea, I didn't really count the Drum one since it added Robin (wasn't Franky also there?) instead of more a straight up adaption.

Peff

This is a pretty nice um cover spreads I guess

A Decade of Adventure
http://www.mangatoshokan.com/read/One-Piece/Null/536/22

Did they make like those colored art books for One Piece? I like getting these with manga series if they are worth it

There are four books that contain the color spreads and other special art, the ColorWalk series, named after animals. The fourth one was released recently, and they all contain neat extras which unfortunately require knowledge of Japanese :p For example, interviews with the VAs or Yoshitaka Amano. I have the third one, so I could snap a few pics if you want.

Peff

I think so, but IMO it's not worth waiting now that you've come this far. The true awesomeness of what it to come is to read in a sitting and see if they achieve their goal or not, and the anime is being pretty slow at the moment. Just read until this week's chapter (581) and then wait if you want... or can :D

Azure J

So OP-GAF, I'm trying to get a friend of mine into this series, but she can't seem to come to grips with reading 550+ chapters or watching 430+ episodes. What do I do?

zoukka

AzureJericho said:
So OP-GAF, I'm trying to get a friend of mine into this series, but she can't seem to come to grips with reading 550+ chapters or watching 430+ episodes. What do I do?

Spare him?

LaneDS

AzureJericho said:

If you're dead set on them watching it, tell them to try to make it through Arlong Park. If they don't like it by then (admittedly 30+ episodes is not a small span of time to dedicate to something), tell them they can give up on it.

That same thinking might apply with the manga, and it'll take them a lot less time to do so.

Azure J

I should also add that she isn't necessarily a manga person, although she has shown a passive interest in it from occasional visits to Kinokuya. She says she mostly goes there for their stationary sets. :lol

LaneDS said:
If you're dead set on them watching it, tell them to try to make it through Arlong Park. If they don't like it by then (admittedly 30+ episodes is not a small span of time to dedicate to something), tell them they can give up on it.

That same thinking might apply with the manga, and it'll take them a lot less time to do so.

Oh I'm definitely going to see her through Arlong Park. It's about seeing her pick it up after that. I keep telling her that if she enjoys the tone up to then, it becomes an amazingly great & swift read after that. The hard part is just getting her to read beyond the first chapter. :lol

Thanks for the response though. :)

Firestorm

LaneDS said:

Yeah, if she doesn't like the Nami arc the series may not be for her. It's really a condensed version of the arc structure for the rest of the series. I started liking it from the Sanji arc.

zoukka

AzureJericho said:
I should also add that she isn't necessarily a manga person, although she has shown a passive interest in it from occasional visits to Kinokuya. She says she mostly goes there for their stationary sets. :lol

Well a humongous manga series might not be the best way to introduce her to Japanese sequential art don't you think? Give some short stories to her to warm it up.

Geography Question, lemme now if I have this right.

The world is split into four seas* East Blue, North Blue, West Blue, and South Blue. In the middle is Grand Line, and in the middle of grandline is the red line, (triangle of enies lobby, military headquarters, and impel down). Somewhere over Grandline floats Skypeia, and under redline is the fishmen island? On the other side of Red Line is the "New World"?

If thats so then I think Ive finally understood the layout of the world, lol.

The world is split into four seas* East Blue, North Blue, West Blue, and South Blue. In the middle is Grand Line, and in the middle of grandline is the red line, (triangle of enies lobby, military headquarters, and impel down). Somewhere over Grandline floats Skypeia, and under redline is the fishmen island?

I thought the 4 seas were on one side, with the mountain "splitting" the world, once you cross that into the grandline its the other half of the world. I could be way of but thats how I imagined it anyway :lol

Johnlenham said:
I thought the 4 seas were on one side, with the mountain "splitting" the world, once you cross that into the grandline its the other half of the world. I could be way of but thats how I imagined it anyway :lol

I was under the impression that that New World they refer to is on the other side of Red Line?

The world is split into four seas* East Blue, North Blue, West Blue, and South Blue. In the middle is Grand Line, and in the middle of grandline is the red line, (triangle of enies lobby, military headquarters, and impel down). Somewhere over Grandline floats Skypeia, and under redline is the fishmen island?

Sorta, yeah. But the Red Line is the single ring-shaped continent (with huge tall cliff walls) that circles the globe, perpendicular to the Grand Line.

It meets the Grand Line in two places: on one side is Reverse Mountain, where the water from the four Blues flow up the mountain and dump you into the Grand Line, and on the opposite side is Mariejois, the capital of the World Government (Fishman Island lies underwater in a cave at the bottom of the cliffs).

Then there's the Calm Belt, which is the area surrounding the Grand Line on both sides. There's no winds or currents to guide boats, and the Sea Kings nest there making them aggressive and the waters impassable by conventional methods.

To sum it up:

2nq8fgh.jpg

24mg8yo.jpg

35lrm1c.jpg

The New World would be the stretch of the Grand Line from Mariejois/Fishman Island, back to the other side of Reverse Mountain. I think.

EmCeeGramr said:
Sorta, yeah. But the Red Line is the single ring-shaped continent (with huge tall cliff walls) that circles the globe, perpendicular to the Grand Line.

It meets the Grand Line in two places: on one side is Reverse Mountain, where the water from the four Blues flow up the mountain and dump you into the Grand Line, and on the opposite side is Mariejois, the capital of the World Government (Fishman Island lies underwater in a cave at the bottom of the cliffs).

Then there's the Calm Belt, which is the area surrounding the Grand Line on both sides. There's no winds to guide boats, and the Sea Kings nest there making them aggressive and the waters impassable by conventional methods.

The New World would be the stretch of the Grand Line from Mariejois/Fishman Island, back to the other side of Reverse Mountain. I think.

Okay thats odd, I should have been equating grandline as the equivalent of the real worlds equater then. So in reality, the crew has just traveled half of grandline?

Okay thats odd, I should have been equating grandline as the equivalent of the real worlds equater then. So in reality, the crew has just traveled half of grandline?

Exactly. It sounds weird, and it confused me at first too.

Mostly because they talk about the "end" of the Grand Line, when we don't think of a circle around the globe as having an "end," since it would be the same place you started. Then you realize that there's no way to get to the west side of Reverse Mountain other than traveling the entire Grand Line, since Reverse Mountain just dumps you facing east no matter where you enter.

I think the Blues are all over the world.

The Grand Line divides the world in half. The Red Line runs perpendicular to the Grand Line, and together they divide the world into quarters, which are the Blues.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I think the Blues are all over the world.

The Grand Line divides the world in half. The Red Line runs perpendicular to the Grand Line, and together they divide the world into quarters, which are the Blues.

But where would you put the "New World" at?

Steroyd

Johnlenham said:

The world is split into 4, otherwise there's be no point in Sanji's dream of all blue where all thew seas meet.

There was some diagram somewhere about how the world is setup, but think the Grandline as a horizaontal line through the world, and there's another line that goes vertical can't remember what it is exactly but it's related to the mountain entrance to the grandline.

^^ Beaten damnit spent too long pondering.

Firestorm

But where would you put the "New World" at?
The New World is the stretch of the Grand Line from Marijoe -> other side of Reverse Mountain. I believe it's area that pirates have more control over with the primary powers being the 4 Emperors or whatever.

Steroyd said:
The world is split into 4, otherwise there's be no point in Sanji's dream of all blue where all thew seas meet.

There was some diagram somewhere about how the world is setup, but think the Grandline as a horizaontal line through the world, and there's another line that goes vertical can't remember what it is exactly but it's related to the mountain entrance to the grandline.

^^ Beaten damnit spent too long pondering.

Well it is just hard to grasp this map
2nq8fgh.jpg

Cause the east and west are like diagonal and north and south are diagonal lol. Or perhaps they are just holding it at like a 45 degree angle?

Peff

Or perhaps they are just holding it at like a 45 degree angle?

Probably, I think the reference point they use is the cross that the Red Line forms with the Grand Line.

Firestorm

ShutDown202 said:
Nice. Im really anxious to see whats going to happen next, any ideas?
It was mentioned a while ago in this thread I think, but Oda said that the Strong World movie was the last adventure we'd see of Luffy as a 17 year old. So timeskip or he turns 18? I don't want to speculate beyond that point as I have manga knowledge but I've been dying to see what he meant by that.

I'm also dying to see Strong World. Release it on BluRay dammit :(

Peff

Firestorm said:
I'm also dying to see Strong World. Release it on BluRay dammit :(

There is actually a camrip on the Internet, but I don't think anybody has subbed it (and it's not really worth it to see it in such a less-than-optimal quality). Have they even announced a date yet?

Griffith

Banned
Peff said:
There is actually a camrip on the Internet, but I don't think anybody has subbed it (and it's not really worth it to see it in such a less-than-optimal quality). Have they even announced a date yet?
Not yet.

Top Bottom