• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Dedication Through Light said:
But where would you put the "New World" at?

Okay, diagram time (since there doesn't appear to be one already, amazingly enough).

This is really terrible and basic:

e7jy83.png

I had to use Paint.NET, since I'm not on my PC with Photoshop. :lol

Firestorm said:
It was mentioned a while ago in this thread I think, but Oda said that the Strong World movie was the last adventure we'd see of Luffy as a 17 year old. So timeskip or he turns 18? I don't want to speculate beyond that point as I have manga knowledge but I've been dying to see what he meant by that.

I'm also dying to see Strong World. Release it on BluRay dammit :(

Oh man that sounds amazing. I was thinking about a time skip or luffy growing older today and seems like the right time. I want to talk about it more but i guess il go over to the manga thread now.

EmCeeGramr said:
Okay, diagram time (since there doesn't appear to be one already, amazingly enough).

e7jy83.png

Suddenly the world makes a lot more sense. :lol

I'm guessing All Blue is inside Reverse Mountain. It's probably made up of river water from each other that somehow flowed down the "other side" of Reverse Mountain at the very top. There doesn't seem to be any other way the oceans could meet, unless it's just simply below Reverse Mountain. Raftel is probably where All Blue is as well. I think the other side of Reverse Mountain probably concaves inwards somehow, which is why Raftel is so hard to get to, because it's inside a mountain.

Griffith

Banned
Wait is that an animation of this random manga chapter 0: Strong world? Its in an odd place
Strong World is Movie 10. Chapter 0 was released alongside Strong World and will be animated later.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wait is that an animation of this random manga chapter 0: Strong world? Its in an odd place
Chapter 0 was an extra chapter we got to promote the movie "Strong World". However, despite its status as "chapter 0", you don't actually want to read it first in the series. Its pretty much meant to be read around chapters 560-570, hence its random placement in the next arc.

And the anime-only watchers still don't know the contents of Chapter 0, so we probably shouldn't say much more about it in this thread (there's a reason why Toei is waiting to do the announced OVA/episode of it).

LaneDS

That chapter was written to go along with the release of the 10th movie, called Strong World. The main antagonist of the movie is Shiki the Gold Lion, who is given a backstory in that chapter. It isn't quite canon, but the movie's story was created by Oda and retconned into the Strawhats journey between Thriller Bark and Sabaody.

And I'd imagine most of the people in this thread, myself included, are waiting for it to be released on a format where we can watch it, as so far it's just been in Japanese theaters.

Edit: I'm also really fast at typing you see. Sigh.

Firestorm

the Strong World manga chapter isn't part of the regular story, no. It was a special prequel to the movie. Strong World is the first movie Oda wrote the story for and seems to have been the biggest hit with the audience.

Seems good aside from Nami fanservice.

Edit: I left this reply window open way too long! Was Shiki mentioned at all in the manga version of Impel Down? He was mentioned quite frequently in the anime.

Firestorm said:
the Strong World manga chapter isn't part of the regular story, no. It was a special prequel to the movie. Strong World is the first movie Oda wrote the story for and seems to have been the biggest hit with the audience.

Seems good aside from Nami fanservice.

Edit: I left this reply window open way too long! Was Shiki mentioned at all in the manga version of Impel Down? He was mentioned quite frequently in the anime.

I like the little toys or "suit" characters of the characters they have for that movie, lol, though I doubt theyll come over here to america X_X.

Griffith

Banned
Firestorm said:
Yes. Sengoku mentioned that he broke out of Impel Down 20 years ago, but that is the only time he's brought up if I remember correctly.

Reknoc

Trying to catch up with the anime and I've gotten as far as Enies Lobby... and it's just taken a turn for the terrible. Midarc filler can be bad but it's even worse when it's just an episode from the very start played again.

Some of the best music in the series so far though. Three Towers <3

LaneDS

Reknoc said:
Trying to catch up with the anime and I've gotten as far as Enies Lobby... and it's just taken a turn for the terrible. Midarc filler can be bad but it's even worse when it's just an episode from the very start played again.

Some of the best music in the series so far though.

Yeah, skip those episodes. No reason to watch them. I think the cast was falling for like a month before they aired new stuff.

Firestorm

Reknoc said:

Some of the best music in the series so far though. Three Towers <3
Yeah, skip the flashback filler.

Reknoc

I guess Enies Lobby wasn't enough like DBZ with it's powerlevels they had to have some sort of charging up equivelent. Still an enjoyable arc mind.

Reknoc said:
I guess Enies Lobby wasn't enough like DBZ with it's powerlevels they had to have some sort of charging up equivelent. Still an enjoyable arc mind.

I don't understand what you're saying.

About the filler though, it was put in to let the manga get farther along as usual. I think it could have been done well though if they reanimated key scenes from the flashbacks and made it one episode. As it is now, it's just entirely skippable.

KnightM7

Banned
So just to make sure, when blackbeard said 'Youve gotten stronger.. more haki than before etc.'

He was referring to luffy and not jimbei right?

Reknoc

VGChampion said:

About the filler though, it was put in to let the manga get farther along as usual. I think it could have been done well though if they reanimated key scenes from the flashbacks and made it one episode. As it is now, it's just entirely skippable.

Drawing out a short scene over several episodes.

I know why filler exists, and to be fair One Piece has been pretty good at it (G8 especially) and One Piece's structure allows for decent sized filler arcs between islands since the manga's sea travel is pretty instant (and I think they were too fast to get to Sabaody). But these backstory fillers are pretty terrible. Skipped now anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

Edit:

Himuro said:
From my list posted a few pages back that encompass Water 7/Enies Lobby arc.

279-283 - Recap - SKIP
291-292 - Boss Luffy filler - decent filler

Thanks will skip the Boss Luffy stuff and watch them whenever the DVDs get there.

KnightM7 said:
So just to make sure, when blackbeard said 'Youve gotten stronger.. more haki than before etc.'

He was referring to luffy and not jimbei right?

They need someone to train luffy with the haki, I think it would have enhanced the storyline a bit if it had occured or occurs. Oh well its something to keep me hooked to say the least.

I think I found which of the devil fruits, if I could have one, powers I want. I liked the guy who could turn into a dinosaur, the only zoan fruit I would take (well the mystical beast one too...)
250px-Dino_Drake.PNG

But the elemental one is my main choice. I liked the, hey I guess Kizaru is a light fruit user. Light is nice.
180px-Kizarus_kick_redirected.gif

Have I missed any that were interesting but only shown in the anime?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
VGChampion said:

Actually, that's only part of it. The other reason those recap episodes exist is because One Piece had just changed its air time and FujiTV demanded that they add something to 'reacquaint' audiences with the story.

You're entirely right that they are skippable though. In fact, even Toei agrees as they were left off of the DVDs (despite still having official episode numbers). Makes me wonder what Funimation is going to do when they get there (are they going to skip those episode numbers or become off-number from the Japanese releases?).

EDIT: Sure, Himuro. Just update it as you see fit and I'll add it in a bit.

Anth0ny

grandjedi6 said:
Actually, that's only part of it. The other reason those recap episodes exist is because One Piece had just changed its air time and FujiTV demanded that they add something to 'reacquaint' audiences with the story.

You're entirely right that they are skippable though. In fact, even Toei agrees as they were left off of the DVDs (despite still having official episode numbers). Makes me wonder what Funimation is going to do when they get there (are they going to skip those episode numbers or become off-number from the Japanese releases?).

Oh FUCK I hope not. I can picture the bullshit now...

"Luffy vs Lucci in episode 307, or 304 on the FUNimation DVDs was awesome!"

Ugh. Stuff would get very confusing, I hope they just add them to the DVDs, or skip them but leave the episode numbers unchanged.

They need someone to train luffy with the haki, I think it would have enhanced the storyline a bit if it had occured or occurs. Oh well its something to keep me hooked to say the least.

I think I found which of the devil fruits, if I could have one, powers I want. I liked the guy who could turn into a dinosaur, the only zoan fruit I would take (well the mystical beast one too...)
250px-Dino_Drake.PNG

But the elemental one is my main choice. I liked the, hey I guess Kizaru is a light fruit user. Light is nice.
180px-Kizarus_kick_redirected.gif

you catch up yet?

I cant believe I read through 11,600 pages of the manga in two weeks (read through chp 581). I dont think Ill marathon through the anime (I would need to commit 7 days 11 hours and 26 minutes) to catching up and thats without breaks, lol.

Now to find the lastest episode.

Anth0ny

I cant believe I read through 11,600 pages of the manga in two weeks (read through chp 581). I dont think Ill marathon through the anime (I would need to commit 7 days 11 hours and 26 minutes) to catching up and thats without breaks, lol.

It can be done. I caught up to Enies Lobby in the summer of 06. I was watching episodes for up to 8 hours a day :lol

It took me less than a month, I forget how many weeks. Skipped all filler, of course. Good times :D

Mikey Jr.

EmCeeGramr said:

e7jy83.png

Thanks dude. I can finally wrap my head around the geography.

Btw, marines can travel through the calm belt right? So they have access to everywhere?

Entropia

No One Remembers
grandjedi6 said:
When the hell did this thread become so popular :lol

You're probably the biggest OP Fan here and you're really asking that? :p

The concept of the Red Line, Grand Line, and New World still boggles me. :\

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

[ig]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090526160624/onepiece/images/thumb/1/10/Dino_Drake.PNG/250px-Dino_Drake.PNG[/img]

[ig]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090618000644/onepiece/images/thumb/a/a0/Kizarus_kick_redirected.gif/180px-Kizarus_kick_redirected.gif[/img]

The G8 filler arc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Himuro said:
grandjedi, can you put this in the op for ease of access? I should also update it...
You missed 101 and 102 in Arabasta, which were also filler.

Also, it's kind of hard to skip the Davy Back filler, the way it's integrated into the arc.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I remember when I got into One Piece I pretty much caught up to the entire anime in a matter of a few weeks.

Griffith

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Thanks dude. I can finally wrap my head around the geography.

Btw, marines can travel through the calm belt right? So they have access to everywhere?
Pretty much. The bottom of their ships are coated with seastone which masks their presence from the sea kings in the calm belt.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Entropia said:
I remember when I got into One Piece I pretty much caught up to the entire anime in a matter of a few weeks.
Same, but I had downloaded like 300+ episodes 8 months before I actually got around to watching them. Once I started, I couldn't stop watching/downloading the rest. :lol Went through like 350+ episodes in a matter of weeks. Didn't skip any filler either.

The reason I placed Fuchsia Village there is because of this map:

2lbpb3c.jpg

It LOOKS like it's near the Red Line on the opposite side, just hard to tell because it's a projection.

Then again, that might just be a huge island or small continent that we never see in any of the other maps or bird's eye views.

Oda should really make an atlas of the first half of the planet.

RagnarokX

EmCeeGramr said:

e7jy83.png

And then you got Oda drawing maps upsidedown recently to add confusion:

2rh34f6.jpg

Griffith said:
Pretty much. The bottom of their ships are coated with seastone which masks their presence from the sea kings in the calm belt.

lol everytime you all say that I keep thinking of the pokemon seaking, lol.

and lol

2rh34f6.jpg

The manga certainly has it in opposite orientation.

RagnarokX said:
And then you got Oda drawing maps upsidedown recently to add confusion:

2rh34f6.jpg

Heh, yeah, when I saw that I thought I must have gotten things backwards.

Then I realized that they had rotated the original manga map in the wrong direction, without remembering that the Straw Hats were sailing west-to-east:

f9lf92.jpg

Reknoc

Between Sabaody and the Islands before it? Or possibly just between the Water 7 route.

Edit: Actually I looked at it wrong and thought all routes converged before the Redline. So it's probably just between Water 7 and Sabaody.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Reknoc said:
Between Sabaody and the Islands before it? Or possibly just between the Water 7 route.

Edit: Actually I looked at it wrong and thought all routes converged before the Redline. So it's probably just between Water 7 and Sabaody.
Yeah, makes sense, I figured. Like someone said earlier, it really could use/needs an Atlas.

Reknoc

Hmm... One problem I have with that map, and I could be wrong, is that If that big island was Enies Lobby then surely after Thriller Bark the strawhats would have ended up back at Enies Lobby because that's where the logpose would point.

Griffith

Banned
Reknoc said:
Hmm... One problem I have with that map, and I could be wrong, is that If that big island was Enies Lobby then surely after Thriller Bark the strawhats would have ended up back at Enies Lobby because that's where the logpose would point.
The Log pose always points to the next island in the chain. After Water 7 the Log pose pointed to Fishman Island. Since Thriller Bark is a ship and not an island, it wouldn't have a magnetic field so the Log pose would still be pointing to Fishman Island.

Reknoc

Griffith said:
The Log pose always points to the next island in the chain. After Water 7 the Log pose pointed to Fishman Island. Since Thriller Bark is a ship and not an island, it wouldn't have a magnetic field so the Log pose would still be pointing to Fishman Island.

Exactly and Enies Lobby is the island connected to Water 7 according to that map.

Griffith

Banned
Reknoc said:
Exactly and Enies Lobby is the island connected to Water 7 according to that map.
I'd assume that for some reason Enies Lobby isn't part of the natural progression of islands and can't be reached by following a standard log pose. I'd also guess it's the same way for both Impel Down and Marineford.

Top Bottom