• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Reknoc said:
17 same as Usopp. Nami is 18, Zoro and Sanji are 19 I believe. Can't remember the rest but Robin is 28.

For completions sake: Franky is 34, Chopper is 15 and Brook is 88.

Wow Robin is that old (how old is Boa Hancock).

I think I will ignore those ages and put everyone in my early 20's age bracket lol, people are either too young or just too old, lol (except for Brook, he can remain that age)

Reknoc

One Piece Wikia has her at between 27 and somewhere in her 30s. Will probably have to wait and see if it gets mentioned in the SBS sections of the volumes for an actual age.

Reknoc said:
One Piece Wikia has her at between 27 and somewhere in her 30s. Will probably have to wait and see if it gets mentioned in the SBS sections of the volumes for an actual age.

lol that site, I can finally go to it, Im so used to going to all of the wikias for other series that I was afraid of using the One Piece one while I was catching up. I think I opened it up once and they had a notice about some characters recent death or something X_X.

But those SBS sections do actually come out in the US Volumes right? I only read a few of them as I was catching up but then didnt pay a lot of attention to others.

I guess I'll accept older 20's.

bathala

Banned
I'm not reading the manga but I heard about
time skip
i wonder when that happens Luffy will start loolking for his nakama. Unless its going to happen in this timeline

Reknoc

Himuro said:
Early 30's? No way, too old.

Yea I find that hard to believe aswell. I'd say mid-late 20's depending on how long it was when she appears in chapter 0.

Dedication Through Light said:
But those SBS sections do actually come out in the US Volumes right? I only read a few of them as I was catching up but then didnt pay a lot of attention to others.

They're in, it's where I got the ages from, only had to check the wikia for the later two because Viz haven't got that far yet (maybe). They're pretty good even if some of the earlier volumes are hard to read because not only does it have some unimportant pirates in the bad guys crew explaining what's happening in the panel Viz decided to throw in some horrible pirate lingo in there aswell.

Griffith

Banned
I thought the two week timeskip is your the rumored time skip?
If there's going to be a timeskip, it wont be the two week skip we just had. It'll still take time for the rest of the crew to get back together.

Anyone else think this?

All those scenes we see of the straw-hats in the opening/endings. Where they travel the sea seeing new creatures, islands and basically going on adventures. Do these represent all the other things they're doing on their journey. Put in the opening because they're not really main events? or is it just the typical anime opening of just showing unrelated stuff (a la Naruto).

ShutDown202 said:
Anyone else think this?

All those scenes we see of the straw-hats in the opening/endings. Where they travel the sea seeing new creatures, islands and basically going on adventures. Do these represent all the other things they're doing on their journey. Put in the opening because they're not really main events? or is it just the typical anime opening of just showing unrelated stuff (a la Naruto).
I've not thought about it like that. I suppose you can interpret it however you like.

ShutDown202 said:
Anyone else think this?

The opening just seems strange to me cause its like its split into two parts essentially.

Reknoc

Himuro said:
A lot of that stuff is taken from the manga cover pages. It's just the crew doing cool shit.

Yea but don't you like to think of some of the covers as little adventures they had between main arcs?

upandaway

Reknoc said:
Yea but don't you like to think of some of the covers as little adventures they had between main arcs?
My creativity is not good enough to start developing a story for them in my head. But if it helps Oda make something with One Piece after it's done, I'm for.

Reknoc

Himuro said:
No. They're just cool to look at. Hey, I wonder what Luffy and the gang would look like if they were mobsters! And he draws them like mobsters. It's not some "mini-adventure", it's just a splash cover page meant for visual appeal.

Well yea they are.

Though Oda does make the best use of cover pages when he does the little side-stories.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Reknoc said:
Yea I find that hard to believe aswell. I'd say mid-late 20's depending on how long it was when she appears in chapter 0.
Hancock's scene in Chapter 0 falls roughly 22 years before the current events.

We know she became Empress of Amazon Lily 11 years ago, and she was freed by Fisher Tiger roughly around age 16 (she was 12 when captured and rescued about 4 years later). In order for her to be 27, she would have had to have gotten back to Amazon Lily after being freed very quickly, but the implication has been that they went on some adventures and weren't able to get back until they met Elder Nyon. That might have just been a few months, in which case she could still be 27, or that might have been years, potentially pushing her into her 30s.

Organization Question!

The marines is set up with

Unknown Admiral or something being in the top (I dont think Ive ever recalled seing em)
The Three Vice Admirals
The 8 Sichibukai?
Then people of Smoker(smokey?) level captains?

Is that right?

Grandjedi explained it very thoroughly, but there's one other thing.

The three great powers are the "Seven Seas" (Shichibukai), the Four Emperors, and specifically the Marine Headquarters. The Marines are spread all over the world, but only the Marines who report to Marineford are considered a world power.

Fleet Admiral Sengoku, the Admirals, seemingly all of the Vice-Admirals, and a lot of lower ranked Marines serve there (including Smoker). So Smoker isn't just a normal marine. Even though there are plenty of Captains (or Commodores) all over the world, a Marine HQ Captain is on a different level.

The Seven Seas are their own entity. It looks like they only have to report to the actual World Government (which is just the five elders) and the Fleet Admiral, so technically you could say they're below the Marines.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Firestorm said:
No manga spoilers in this thread. At least clearly mark them -_-
They weren't discussing manga spoilers, it was just more speculation on the baseless timeskip rumor.

For those of you who don't know, in several interviews and publication materials for the latest One Piece movie, the author said that Strong World would Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old. Now this has predictably led to time skip speculation but it really could mean anything from Ivankov's hormones/healing technique aging Luffy by 10 years to Luffy simply saying "oh hey, my birthday was last week!" However, the fanbase has convinced themselves that the timeskip is not only likely, but a fact, despite reality being contrary.

The author actually a history of these misleading statements. For example, during Skypeia the author said that one of the Strawhats was going to die that year, and then 2-3 years later, the boat "died". So yeah..

Pimpwerx

Himuro said:
That's some...heavy hyperbole you got there, but it's cool to like OP so I guess I'll let it slide.
Not really. For people who love adventures with a light theme and entertaining characters with a smart plot, One Piece is simply amazing. Niow it's only halfway, but if the second half has anywhere near the enjoyment of the first half then I'd think it could make an argument for best adventure story told (though it will be debated and that's a good thing).

That said, as manga and anime alike, it's a work of art. Oda seems to have thought his work through a lot more than other manga authors. He can hint at events to come long in advance, and it doesn't come off looking contrived or forced.

However, I can understand people who disagree. The setting of a story really dictates what affection a reader for an author. I'm in love with One Piece because the world and its characters. It'll be interesting to see how Luffy changes going forwrd. PEACE.

grandjedi6 said:
For those of you who don't know, in several interviews and publication materials for the latest One Piece movie, the author said that Strong World would Luffy's last adventure as a 17 year old. Now this has predictably led to time skip speculation but it really could mean anything from Ivankov's hormones/healing technique aging Luffy by 10 years to Luffy simply saying "oh hey, my birthday was last week!" However, the fanbase has convinced themselves that the timeskip is not only likely, but a fact, despite reality being contrary.

What that, although I feel is stepping all the way out there, but him aging by hormones is a time skip?

Anyway, oh well, whatever happens happens, lol. As long as its not dramatic like he goes from late teen to an older adult, lol.

Maron

grandjedi6 said:
They weren't discussing manga spoilers, it was just more speculation on the baseless timeskip rumor.

The author actually a history of these misleading statements. For example, during Skypeia the author said that one of the Strawhats was going to die that year, and then 2-3 years later, the boat "died". So yeah..

It's great to see another OP fan that isn't obsessed with the rumor. Frankly, I don't think I'd want a timeskip anyway. I'm just happy with the characters the way they are now.

grandjedi6

2vx37y8.jpg

One Piece - Ep 448 - Stop Magellan! Ivan-san's Esoteric Technique Explodes! (SUB)

grandjedi6

What the hell was with that pacing? First there was an extra long recap. Then the 1st half was dragged out and pretty much nothing happened (they didn't even follow up on whatever Ivankov's filler attack was suppose to be). Finally, the second half begins by replaying a scene, having a second recap (this time from the manga) and then ending before the corresponding manga chapter's cliff hanger. It was so odd, even the art style shifted in the 2nd half making it seem as if it was suppose to be its own episode or something.

Ughh, so much for the hopes that this arc would end on a high note. Guess last week's episode was the exception :/

Firestorm said:
I don't know about best, but One Piece is my favourite adventure story :)

Same.
It has such great characters and they get put in such interesting situations.
Just wish the dubbing would hurry up.

grandjedi6

Maron said:
It's great to see another OP fan that isn't obsessed with the rumor. Frankly, I don't think I'd want a timeskip anyway. I'm just happy with the characters the way they are now.
I'd be heartbroken if any of the Strawhats' designs changed significantly.

Anyway, I've always gotten the feeling that these timeskip rumors/hopes stem from the fact that Naruto did the same, and of course, One Piece has to do everything Naruto does (UGHH).

AceBandage said:
Same.
It has such great characters and they get put in such interesting situations.
Just wish the dubbing would hurry up.
The dubbing will always be limited by the Japanese DVDs though. And boy are those ever slow, expensive and contentless. For instance, they are still releasing overpriced, 4 episodes a pop, DVDs of Thriller Bark. :/

Wow I was under the impression that One Piece episodes came out on Sundays, lol. Fudge, guess Ill watch that episode after FMA: Brotherhood goes off.
It does. Its Sunday morning in Japan.

grandjedi6 said:
The dubbing will always be limited by the Japanese DVDs though. And boy are those ever slow, expensive and contentless. For instance, they are still releasing overpriced, 4 episodes a pop, DVDs of Thriller Bark. :/

Well, kind of.
I mean, Funimation is set to release 131-140 on May 11th.
They could easily be into 200, though, at this point.

grandjedi6

mysticwhip said:
Judging from the art it olooks like that episode has some good animation, am I wrong?
Some of it. Due to the horrid pacing though there wasn't much to be animated well. The episode was a waste of the animation director's [Tate] talents.

mysticwhip said:
the link goes to navarre?
That's Funimation's parent company. You might be getting region locked :(

AceBandage said:
Well, kind of.
I mean, Funimation is set to release 131-140 on May 11th.
They could easily be into 200, though, at this point.
They can only release them so fast though (the market realities limit them).

They should start dubbing One Piece again though, as they said they were going to take a break until the DVDs got to Skypeia/Season 3. Although I thought I read something about them redubbing Skypeia.

grandjedi6 said:
Some of it. Due to the horrid pacing though there wasn't much to be animated well. The episode was a waste of the animation director's [Tate] talents.

They can only release them so fast though (the market realities limit them).

They should start dubbing One Piece again though, as they said they were going to take a break until the DVDs got to Skypeia/Season 3. Although I thought I read something about them redubbing Skypeia.

That would be the third time it was dubbed then, wouldn't it?
They so crazy.

grandjedi6 said:

It does. Its Sunday morning in Japan.

Oh okay, wow silly time zones throwing me off.

I guess Im glad to know that the dont do the 4-5 episodes per DVD Release here in the US, though waiting for those 13 episodes or so boxsets is also a slow wait since its seems one of those each quarter or halfyear in the US? Oh well, thats means I have plenty of time to get all of the previous sets before their discontinued or so.

grandjedi6

AceBandage said:
That would be the third time it was dubbed then, wouldn't it?
They so crazy.
Yes and no. No as in 4kids never made it to Skypeia so its just the original Funimation and then the possible redub. But also, Yes as in the original Funimation dub had to essential dub it twice anyway due to the usage of "Zolo" and various 4kids terms (and we know that they made a non-censored/4kids version as some of the later Australia aired episodes used "Zoro").

So yeah, they haven't dub it 3 times but I'm sure there are some scenes in which this will be their third go at it.

Oh okay, wow silly time zones throwing me off.

I guess Im glad to know that the dont do the 4-5 episodes per DVD Release here in the US, though waiting for those 13 episodes or so boxsets is also a slow wait since its seems one of those each quarter or halfyear in the US? Oh well, thats means I have plenty of time to get all of the previous sets before their discontinued or so.
Actually, it been 1 DVD every 2 months lately. Which is pretty quick when you think about it.

upandaway

grandjedi6 said:
How is the situation with region locked people? I know this made me completely stop following the anime (I was on my way there anyway, but still) when they initially announced it.

Edit: I mean like, are there still subbing groups? Or are proxies the only way?

upandaway said:
How is the situation with region locked people? I know this made me completely stop following the anime (I was on my way there anyway, but still) when they initially announced it.

I watch some groups sub for one piece

grandjedi6

upandaway said:

Kaizoku Fansubs is still slowly subbing Water 7 episodes! (I'm sure they'll catch back up any day now) :lol

One Piece has never had good luck with fansubs. Every group would inevitably fall apart or give up after a while and its only good fortune that's allowed a replacement group to pop up each time. I believe the current fansubber is "Yibis Fansubs" although I cannot say what the quality is.

So yeah, I'd recommend you watch the Funimation version even if you have to bypass the region locking. But if all else fails, you got Yibis (for now).

Wow I hope they release it by the afternoon or so.

I can only make it throughout halfway on the funimation site before I get through those mcdonalds commercials then shockwave failures :(

Anyway it seemed like there were 2 minutes of just staring and walking for the fight with Magellan. The intro song is growing on me, I really like it.

Steroyd

grandjedi6 said:
Kaizoku Fansubs is still slowly subbing Water 7 episodes! (I'm sure they'll catch back up any day now) :lol

One Piece has never had good luck with fansubs. Every group would inevitably fall apart or give up after a while and its only good fortune that's allowed a replacement group to pop up each time. I believe the current fansubber is "Yibis Fansubs" although I cannot say what the quality is.

So yeah, I'd recommend you watch the Funimation version even if you have to bypass the region locking. But if all else fails, you got Yibis (for now).

Ybis are good, but they can go on random couple week breaks for no reason.

Gogoanime look like they rip straight from Funimation website.

I liked this episode and i think Ivan is starting to grow on me. Wasn't too fond of him initially. The intro is also quickly becoming one of my favourites.

Im seeing a few people complaining about the pacing here so i was wondering, what is the pacing (anime) normally like? I havent watched One Piece on a episode by episode basis since the middle of Skypeia (around 2003/2004 i think?) so i can't really remember.

Also im probably going to go on a One Piece break for 4 years after Impel Down. Its definately going to be rough but nothing beats the feeling of having 250 episodes to watch whenever you want.

Top Bottom