• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

ShutDown202 said:
Also im probably going to go on a One Piece break for 4 years after Impel Down. Its definately going to be rough but nothing beats the feeling of having 250 episodes to watch whenever you want.

Ouch thats going to be painful. I like the one episode per week thing (though do they ever have one piece specials and show two episodes a week). I mean, its queued with all the other shows and manga chapters I have to follow each week lol.

But a year long break :(

Reknoc

ShutDown202 said:
Also im probably going to go on a One Piece break for 4 years after Impel Down. Its definately going to be rough but nothing beats the feeling of having 250 episodes to watch whenever you want.

Yeesh, definitly couldn't do that, having trouble catching up now.

Finally finished up Enies Lobby, finally onto Thriller Bark and Brook.

This episode's pace was really bad with all the unnecessary stare-downs. The episode was about as bad as the one with the constant cuts to the dancing queers. I know it will never happen, but I really wish the anime had seasonal breaks to improve the pacing rather than bogging down the episodes with filler. So far, the anime version of ID has been a disappointment. I kind of feel sorry for the anime only watchers because, IMO, the ID arc was excellent in the manga.

Easystride said:
This episode's pace was really bad with all the unnecessary stare-downs. The episode was about as bad as the one with the constant cuts to the dancing queers. I know it will never happen, but I really wish the anime had seasonal breaks to improve the pacing rather than bogging down the episodes with filler. So far, the anime version of ID has been a disappointment. I kind of feel sorry for the anime only watchers because, IMO, the ID arc was excellent in the manga.

Yeah, I'm way behind in the anime because it just doesn't keep my attention. Last episode I watched was when we first meet up with Bon Clay.

lol the episode I guess expanded on one of the parts that me lol in the manga. I love when ivankov was like My face is melting melting melting, or not cause i have so much make up on! lol, and then the part with the laces. I guess the episode had minimal fighting, hopefully the next episode has some?

I finally got the onepieceofficial site to work though so many mcdonalds ads (like every 5 minutes or something), now i want mcdonalds !!! (they dont show the ending song?)

Griffith

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
lol the episode I guess expanded on one of the parts that me lol in the manga. I love when ivankov was like My face is melting melting melting, or not cause i have so much make up on! lol, and then the part with the laces. I guess the episode had minimal fighting, hopefully the next episode has some?

I finally got the onepieceofficial site to work though so many mcdonalds ads (like every 5 minutes or something), now i want mcdonalds !!! (they dont show the ending song?)
One Piece doesn't have an ending song. It hasn't for a while now.

Himuro said:
I'm surprised that there are anime only OP fans here who also read manga.

Wait. What? If they do both they wouldn't be anime only fans. :lol

But I agree. Read the manga. Up until Enies Lobby I only watched but I couldn't wait any longer and it was so worth it. I used to think reading would spoil the anime but it enhances it. It's like reading a book before watching the movie. It's the better way to go. :D

Griffith

Banned
What type of decision was that? No ending nor "next-time on One Piece" previews (or even witty things like the ending of One Piece and Naruto have)?
I think the endings were removed to make room for longer openings. I'm not really sure about that though.

They do still have the next episode previews though. Funimation doesn't show them for some reason.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Himuro said:
Reading a manga chapter takes five minutes as opposed to watching 22 minutes of an anime.

That's exactly why I watch the anime instead of the manga. Not that I like things being drawn out, but a forcibly paced series of events (and the music that accompanies them) are much more engaging to me than a series of panels I can breeze through at extreme speed.

Just like you manga guys watch the anime after the fact, I'll often go read the manga bits that have been animated after the fact. While I often get excited by some of the panels and how you sometimes get more impact from certain particular frames, that feeling rapidly passes after a few minutes and I find myself paying attention only to the events, not necessarily their presentation, and my opinion moves away from "maybe I'm missing out by not reading this" to "okay yeah I'm happier with the anime."

Though I will agree that the anime is really starting to feel stretched out at the moment. I don't have to be familiar with the manga to recognize pointless flashbacks, summaries, and extended scenes.

Griffith said:
I think the endings were removed to make room for longer openings. I'm not really sure about that though.

They do still have the next episode previews though. Funimation doesn't show them for some reason.

Yeah the openings have definitely been twice as long ever since they stopped making endings.

And I kind of love the missing previews on the Funi stream, it's nice not knowing what's coming next.

El Sloth

Banned
Man the pacing in this episode pissed me off. There were like 5 minutes of Ivankov and Magellan staring at each other and saying nothing. Should I just start reading the manga guys? Are there any former anime only watcher that jumped ship here that an give me their opinion?

El Sloth said:
Man the pacing in this episode pissed me off. There were like 5 minutes of Ivankov and Magellan staring at each other and saying nothing. Should I just start reading the manga guys? Are there any former anime only watcher that jumped ship here that an give me their opinion?
Do it. But then it you will get pissed when you have to wait a week each time for new chapters.

El Sloth said:

I used to watch only anime, jumped to manga when I reached the end of the line; can't say I regret it, I like how the manga is a lot more consistent in quality;

I still watch the new OP animated episode every week though, I'm always curious how they end up animating certain chapters/scenes, though I'll admit that often I'll feel a bit bad on how some epic manga chapters/scenes end up looking horrid in the anime. (for some reason the Luffy & Blackbeard meetup in ID really felt off compared to how awesome it felt in the manga, for example.)

Yeah I wasn't impressed with latest ep. Hopefully next one is going to be full of win. I didn't watch the preview but if Luffy fights Magellan again I hope he has an immunity to the poison or something. That'd rock!

Quicksilva said:
Yeah I wasn't impressed with latest ep. Hopefully next one is going to be full of win. I didn't watch the preview but if Luffy fights Magellan again I hope he has an immunity to the poison or something. That'd rock!

Why would that rock? that'd be pretty boring.

Griffith said:

I guess Ill be watching this episode twice then, lol.

One of the cons with this episode also was there were many repetitious useless parts.

For example nearing a minute or two staring down (Ivan v Magellan), Death Wink Wink Wink x 6 times almost, lol.

El Sloth

Banned
Neoriceisgood said:
I used to watch only anime, jumped to manga when I reached the end of the line; can't say I regret it, I like how the manga is a lot more consistent in quality;

I still watch the new OP animated episode every week though, I'm always curious how they end up animating certain chapters/scenes, though I'll admit that often I'll feel a bit bad on how some epic manga chapters/scenes end up looking horrid in the anime. (for some reason the Luffy & Blackbeard meetup in ID really felt off compared to how awesome it felt in the manga, for example.)

Hmmmm, this very convincing. Damn you! I think I may start sometime this week, the last few episodes have just been terrible in pacing. And although I haven't read the manga I can understand what you mean by the encounter between Blackbeard and Luffy being 'off'. It just didn't come of as epic as they wanted to make it be.

El Sloth said:
Hmmmm, this very convincing. Damn you! I think I may start sometime this week, the last few episodes have just been terrible in pacing. And although I haven't read the manga I can understand what you mean by the encounter between Blackbeard and Luffy being 'off'. It just didn't come of as epic as they wanted to make it be.

The manga is truly an glorious and excellent experience, and at times the bonus materials and stuff give off extra insight into the world. The people are right in saying that watching it after reading the manga does add to the experience, at least for me some things are sometimes made more noticeable and at times things translate animated well (at others they dont). But one can never have too much One Piece

Firestorm

Himuro said:
No, you got me wrong.

I'm talking about the anime only One Piece fans who like/read manga but DON'T read the One Piece manga. I know Firestorm fit under the umbrella a few weeks ago until he got spoiled.
Well, I only read Naruto before and that's because the Naruto anime had gotten absolutely terrible. I couldn't take it anymore. The pacing issues that One Piece is going through now feel like nothing compared to Naruto.

El Sloth said:
I'm enjoying the manga quite a bit. I've only read two chapters since I caught up and had to wait weekly, but they seem more meaty than the last manga I started (Naruto). Things seem to move along and I feel content with what was given to me rather than Naruto where I go "I waited a week for this? =/"

Maron

grandjedi6 said:
Although I thought I read something about them redubbing Skypeia.

Kinda. Mike McFarland said they weren't redubbing it, just fixing certain dislogue to make it more accurate since they're now much more familiar with the character's personalities. For example, in Skypeia back when it first aired on CN, there were several instances where Robin was given apparently rude/bitchy dialogue and they said they'll fix that, along with a time where Luffy said he was scared, since they know that's not something he'd normally say.

I wasn't planning on watching this episode anyway, but I feel kinda bad for anime only viewers out there if they were disappointed. I really hope we can get more than one chapter weekly for Marineford, if only to improve the pacing of what is supposed to be a fast and frantic arc.

El Sloth said:

As the last arc just ended, if you'd actually start reading you can go through it all without getting one of those "FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU" endings where you'll be stuck on a big ass cliffhanger, so it might be a good moment to jump in.

Quicksilva said:

Magellans hydras were pretty interesting. I would much prefer if Sadi-chan gets to another fight, her coverage this episode was mmmm.... pretty decent. lol.

Quicksilva said:
I'd never be able to do that though I don't watch 1 episode a week, normally save up 2-4 eps and watch them.

yeah thats something i could never do. i think i hate small bunches more so than single episodes lol

Ouch thats going to be painful. I like the one episode per week thing (though do they ever have one piece specials and show two episodes a week). I mean, its queued with all the other shows and manga chapters I have to follow each week lol.

But a year long break :(

i realised today that when i most enjoy an anime, it's when i have a huge bulk to watch somedays watching 2 eps and then some 8. I think i prefer watching arcs at once. I loved Thriller Bark but probably wouldnt have liked it as much watching it weekly (if that makes sense).

The first few months will be rough but after that, the next 3 years is just smooth sailing :lol im thinking of buying the manga (japanese) up to that point and im sure there'll be some OP games to quench my first.

Reknoc said:
Yeesh, definitly couldn't do that, having trouble catching up now.

Finally finished up Enies Lobby, finally onto Thriller Bark and Brook.

Im currently contemplating whether i should watch Whitebeard 1 by 1 or start the break then.

This show really is amazing. looking back, i dont think theres been any crappy part, unlike the majority of animes (even the best of them).

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Griffith said:

The endings were likely eliminated so that Toei didn't have to spend money on licensing two songs. Although, since it coincided with a time/day change, FujiTV might be to blame.

Funimation actually gets the episode to translate before Toei finishes making the preview, hence why its missing in Funimation's stream.
I guess Ill be watching this episode twice then, lol.
FujiTV always adds the previews online shortly after the episode airs in Japan: http://www.fujitv.co.jp/GPplayer/e/GPplayerJMe.html?anime/onepiece/100502onepiece&type=flv

Quicksilva said:
I guess I just like seeing Luffy kick ass. That and I'm not sure how else he could defeat him since his attacks are all physical...
teehee

upandaway

Screenshot2010-04-28at122402PM.png

This is from Brook's flashback

What?? Did I miss something? That's definitely the Alabasta dude right there

I was finally able to watch the episode without being interuppted and forced to watch all those McCafe commercials. This was a pretty decent episode to actually rewatch and the same part made me lol again. Bonchan spinning and hitting Buggy and Mr 3 was funny.

Anyway, Magellan had the funniest look on his face in several parts of the episode, lol.
tumblr_l1la01FOqJ1qbxqfpo1_400.png

I was finally able to watch the episode without being interuppted and forced to watch all those McCafe commercials. This was a pretty decent episode to actually rewatch and the same part made me lol again. Bonchan spinning and hitting Buggy and Mr 3 was funny.
If you are watching on a computer/laptop, you should use Firefox with Adblock to avoid all those commercials. I usually watch the new episodes on my PS3 browser though, so I'm stuck with the ads.

upandaway

In other news, the music for the anime is really, really good. Like, surprisingly good. I don't remember it being that driving. It makes every scene infinitely better.

Also I can apparently sing every opening/ending before the end of Enies Lobby, by heart. How many times did I hear that oh my god I'm talking about years ago here

upandaway said:
In other news, the music for the anime is really, really good. Like, surprisingly good. I don't remember it being that driving. It makes every scene infinitely better.

Also I can apparently sing every opening/ending before the end of Enies Lobby, by heart. How many times did I hear that oh my god I'm talking about years ago here

Yeah, I like the track that plays during the chase through impel down in the most recent episode. Its pretty moving. I cant wait to get the earlier episodes on disc so I can experience everything about the series from the start, or in this case the music. Though is the show still using background tracks from season 1 and such?

Anth0ny

Griffith said:

Holy sweet merciful Jesus.

SOMEONE FROM JAPAN BETTER FUCKING UPLOAD THAT SHIT. Hell, I'd import it myself if it wasn't so limited ._.

edit: Greg says:

Guys.

You don't know how badly, for all our sakes, a foreigner has to win one of those auctions.

If they do not, it will not be ripped.

It's going for about 30,000 yen ($323) on Yahoo Auctions Japan. God damn it ; _ ;

Anth0ny

So the only way to get a subtitled of this is if someone buys it? I dont understand the previous posts

Well, yeah. It wasn't broadcasted on TV, so that would be the only way. It's a very limited release in Japan, and Japanese people don't upload stuff because it hurts the anime producer's soul.

However, in a shocking turn of events (seriously) some Japanese guy actually uploaded the RAW video! Find it at AP!

upandaway

Why the hell is it a very limited release?

Isn't One Piece famous?

Really glad it got out though. I hope subs are a matter of time now.

Griffith

Banned
How have they been with releasing One Piece movies stateside, I could pursue at least getting them through the netflix, if they are worth watching.
Only Movie 8 has been released and it's just a recap of Alabasta.

Pimpwerx

grandjedi6 said:
Anime-Only Fans: DO NOT WATCH THIS. It should contain massive spoilers that the anime has not yet reached.
Why? The movies are made for the anime watchers primarily, aren't they? I've only seen two or three of the movies. I read the manga, but I wouldn't exactly discourage anyone from watching Strong World. If Oda thought it was fit for the mass public, then so be it. PEACE.

Griffith

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Why? The movies are made for the anime watchers primarily, aren't they? I've only seen two or three of the movies. I read the manga, but I wouldn't exactly discourage anyone from watching Strong World. If Oda thought it was fit for the mass public, then so be it. PEACE.
It's not the Strong World movie though, it's Chapter 0 animated.

Top Bottom