• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Anth0ny

grandjedi6 said:
Anime-Only Fans: DO NOT WATCH THIS. It should contain massive spoilers that the anime has not yet reached.

It actually doesn't contain any spoilers whatsoever :lol If I'm completely missing something, can someone tell me in spoiler tags what might be deemed as a spoiler to people only following the anime?

But I'd probably hold off on it if I was an anime only watcher. It was release with Chapter 565 in an issue of Jump... the anime is only at Chapter 545.

Dedication Through Light said:
Okhay, so off of that manga chapter I asked about awhile back. So its just a primer for the actual Strong World movie releasing in the summer, I assume?

Strong World was actually released in December of last year in Japanese theaters. Everyone who watched the movie was handed a limited "Volume 0", which included "Chapter 0", a prelude to not only the movie, but the entire series, making it canon. This new video is that chapter, in anime form.

I believe the DVD of SW is coming out in the Summer.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Pimpwerx said:
Why? The movies are made for the anime watchers primarily, aren't they? I've only seen two or three of the movies. I read the manga, but I wouldn't exactly discourage anyone from watching Strong World. If Oda thought it was fit for the mass public, then so be it. PEACE.
Actually the movies are likely made under the assumption that the viewer has either read the manga or is too young to care (just like the anime). A good example of this is the 1st trailer of Strong World which featured Brook despite him not yet joining the Strawhats in the anime.

Anth0ny said:
It actually doesn't contain any spoilers whatsoever :lol If I'm completely missing something, can someone tell me in spoiler tags what might be deemed as a spoiler to people only following the anime?

But I'd probably hold off on it if I was an anime only watcher. It was release with Chapter 565 in an issue of Jump... the anime is only at Chapter 545.
Dammit, you're right! It slipped my mind that the appearance of two certain characters didn't neccessitate the reveal of a particular plot twist.
Chapter 550's, to be exact.

There still seems to be spoilers of Strong World's climax at the beginning but those are easily skipped.

LaneDS

How long has the introduction song been there, is it time for a change?

Too long and yes.

But they said they're going to have it run for about a year, so it'll be there for quite some time still apparently.

Maron

How long has the introduction song been there, is it time for a change?

We've had it since the Shitty Movie 10 Fillers that started in 426. I don't hate it, but it'll be really stupid to keep it for the entire Marineford arc, so I'm hoping it gets changed right before that.

Trickster

Maron said:
We've had it since the Shitty Movie 10 Fillers that started in 426. I don't hate it, but it'll be really stupid to keep it for the entire Marineford arc, so I'm hoping it gets changed right before that.

post removed per request

I think the opening is going to change when Impel Down is finished judging from what's included at the end of the opening. I actually like the opening now though. Coming off the last opening I was disappointed but catching up these last 10 episodes I've missed it's grown on me a lot. Not my least favorite anymore.

Plus, while Impel Down is more serious than the rest of the series so far, it still has the One Piece light-hearted humor at times which works well with the opening.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There's really no chance that Marineford takes much less than 30 episodes. It already takes about 30 chapters in the manga, and there are plenty of places where single panels in the manga are so jampacked with "stuff" going on that they could easily translate out to several minutes' worth of animation. I doubt we'll get to where the manga currently is anytime before 2011.

That said, there was talk that the current OP was slated to last for about a year. If that's the case it does have about 25 episodes left. I'm personally inclined to believe it won't last quite that long. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change sometime in the next 10-15 episodes, not too long after we get going in Marineford.

I also expect some INSANE spoilers of massive proportion to somehow be included or alluded to in the next OP. :lol

Firestorm

God if it is either I hope nobody realizes it's a spoiler or some asshole gets fired. I mean, in the opening during Sabaody (which was one of the best imo) I didn't realize that the Luffy and Ace at opposite sides was about Ace's execution or that the Kuma thing was the annihilation of the Straw Hats. I just assumed it was some cool shit and that maybe Luffy was going to fight Ace or something.

They better get their best animators to do the next opening. I'm really loving this trend of spoilery openings in popular series lately (Bleach, Naruto, FMA, etc).

watervengeance said:
They better get their best animators to do the next opening. I'm really loving this trend of spoilery openings in popular series lately (Bleach, Naruto, FMA, etc).

They better be bringing out the big guns for the entire arc. I don't want any of the weird artwork. It would be nice if they could go back to staying consistent throughout.

upandaway

I caught up with the anime. All thanks to English tests and the inability to study for them, giving me a week of nothing to do. And thanks to you guys for that Gogo site.
I was watching since a bit after the start of Thriller Bark.

The pacing started to piss me off in around the last 10 episodes I watched. Before that, I thought it was fine. A flashback once in a while was great to remember things or just to give time to think. The long stares weren't much of a problem, either, until I finally started to hate them around 440. Just as a note, I always skipped to the episode title.

So, really, pacing was fine, at least until the escape from Impel Down. I don't understand all the criticism. Especially if you view the thing once a week, it doesn't hurt to have 5-7 second flashbacks of the last episode.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm not anticipating the progress, having read the manga.

upandaway

I actually didn't read the manga for Skypiea. I think because I had just finished watching it at the time.

If it's that much faster, I guess I'll give it a go.

Anth0ny

Hikari E spoiled the fuck out of Robin joining the crew... I really hope they don't go down the same route for the next OP.

I don't think they'll show
YOU KNOW WHAT
, but I can foresee some of 2 page spreads that show up at the end of chapters being thrown into the OP... sigh.

Firestorm

Just watch, the anime opening will spoil whoever the next crew member is before the manga gets to it :lol I remember hearing someone say Oda wanted 10 crew members? That means one is left I guess?

Griffith

Banned
Firestorm said:
Just watch, the anime opening will spoil whoever the next crew member is before the manga gets to it :lol I remember hearing someone say Oda wanted 10 crew members? That means one is left I guess?
Luffy says in the first chapter he wants a crew of ten, so people are going off that.

Firestorm said:

Oh cool more crew members, I cant remember what they wanted next, I remember Luffy was adament about getting that musician, lol. They did get an engineer too.

They need some kid or orphan...

Firestorm

El Sloth said:
I just hope they animate the strawhat cover stories. Specifically Robin's and Sanji's.
They already did the first cover stories. I didn't read the second cover stories yet (although I think I saw one of Robin's) but I assume they will. And yeah, Robin, Sanji, and Franky seem to have a lot to do with characters we've met in the current arc. I think they'll hit them before Marineford starts. I thought Sanji's was just another stupid one until we met Ivankov :lol

Although come to think of it, did we see all the characters at least once? I think we missed someone. Brook or Franky?

Oh cool more crew members, I cant remember what they wanted next, I remember Luffy was adament about getting that musician, lol. They did get an engineer too.

But they're all orphans! The flashbacks are basically there to make sure you know they have no parents!

El Sloth

Banned
^ They showed a boarded up house that said 'Vegapunk' in Franky's.

Firestorm said:
They already did the first cover stories. I didn't read the second cover stories yet (although I think I saw one of Robin's) but I assume they will. And yeah, Robin, Sanji, and Franky seem to have a lot to do with characters we've met in the current arc. I think they'll hit them before Marineford starts. I thought Sanji's was just another stupid one until we met Ivankov :lol

Although come to think of it, did we see all the characters at least once? I think we missed someone. Brook or Franky?

Yeah I saw the first ones they did, I just hope that when filler time comes around they choose to animate the second collection of cover stories rather than possible shitty filler.

I HATE boss Luffy and Super Chopper with a passion.

Xux

They need someone with a beam attack.

upandaway

Griffith said:
Luffy says in the first chapter he wants a crew of ten, so people are going off that.
"First things first.. crew. About 10 people?" something like that, I could check the first chapter but eh

Key word "About" though. I'll be honest I'm not sure the crew will expand anymore. And on the other hand, if he meant 10 people excluding him, then that's 2 more, but I doubt Oda will confine himself to what he wrote more than 11 years ago.

I does seem kinda complete, doesn't it? We already have some sort of overlap with Franky/Usopp and Sanji/Brook (they did a good job at making Brook and Zoro fighting completely different), too.

Since the next one is probably a girl though, hopefully Hancock.
By the way while I'm on her, they almost destroyed her in the anime. Holy shit what the fuck? You don't have to shove schoolgirl cliches 4 times in an episode.

Griffith

Banned
upandaway said:
"First things first.. crew. About 10 people?" something like that, I could check the first chapter but eh

Key word "About" though. I'll be honest I'm not sure the crew will expand anymore. And on the other hand, if he meant 10 people excluding him, then that's 2 more, but I doubt Oda will confine himself to what he wrote more than 11 years ago.

I does seem kinda complete, doesn't it? We already have some sort of overlap with Franky/Usopp and Sanji/Brook (they did a good job at making Brook and Zoro fighting completely different), too.
I think there will be one more crew member and it'll be someone from Fishman Island.

upandaway said:
Since the next one is probably a girl though, hopefully Hancock.
By the way while I'm on her, they almost destroyed her in the anime. Holy shit what the fuck? You don't have to shove schoolgirl cliches 4 times in an episode.

Wow I havent even seen her in the anime yet. Actually is she even in the opening, lol?I ffeel like if she was I would have remembered

grandjedi6

Maron said:
Kinda. Mike McFarland said they weren't redubbing it, just fixing certain dislogue to make it more accurate since they're now much more familiar with the character's personalities. For example, in Skypeia back when it first aired on CN, there were several instances where Robin was given apparently rude/bitchy dialogue and they said they'll fix that, along with a time where Luffy said he was scared, since they know that's not something he'd normally say.
Hopefully they'll change the part where a Skypeian referenced rubber early on. That was a particularly bad plot hole they created.

watervengeance said:
Kazuya Hisada has been in charge of all the openings for years now. He's been around forever, and by forever I mean he even did the 1st episode's animation.
VGChampion said:
They better be bringing out the big guns for the entire arc. I don't want any of the weird artwork. It would be nice if they could go back to staying consistent throughout.
While I'm sure they'll bring out the big guns, the weaker animation leads are still going to pop up since they work on a cycle. Its not that bad though as even the weakest of the current animation leads has made good episodes when given enough budget & effort.
MetatronM said:
That said, there was talk that the current OP was slated to last for about a year. If that's the case it does have about 25 episodes left. I'm personally inclined to believe it won't last quite that long. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change sometime in the next 10-15 episodes, not too long after we get going in Marineford.
I'm betting that the current opening will end when the reach all the scenes they showed in the opening. At least, they did the same for the last opening. Of course, that still won't be for several months, especially if they decide to include some more filler or the other Strawhat's adventures.

Also, the only reason people are saying the opening is going to last a year is because a japanese blog/news article mentioned such when talking about the backdraft to the current opening. However that was only speculation/rounding by the article author.

upandaway

Griffith said:
I think there will be one more crew member and it'll be someone from Fishman Island.
We know
(I don't know if it's really a spoiler but don't see it if you didn't read the manga) of them that are super attached to the crew already. Caimie can pick DF users, but that's about it as far as their abilities go.

upandaway

Wow I havent even seen her in the anime yet. Actually is she even in the opening, lol?I ffeel like if she was I would have remembered
Don't know about the opening (I always skip it), but dude, it's horrible. Expect the absolute worst.

They animated her well, I'll give them that. Just like I imagined she would move.

Himuro said:
Caimie? A Strawhat?

Not this again.
There is no way, you know what I meant. I don't think a new mermaid will join when she is right there, unless it's a huge, huge, huge story.

Griffith

Banned
upandaway said:
We know
(I don't know if it's really a spoiler but don't see it if you didn't read the manga) of them that are super attached to the crew already. Caimie can pick DF users, but that's about it as far as their abilities go.
It won't be someone we already know.

upandaway said:
There is no way, you know what I meant. I don't think a new mermaid will join when she is right there, unless it's a huge, huge, huge story.
A mermaid won't join. It would be a Fishman/woman.

grandjedi6

Firestorm said:
They already did the first cover stories. I didn't read the second cover stories yet (although I think I saw one of Robin's) but I assume they will.
Actually, the previous episodes we got were extended looks of scenes that were in 2 manga chapters at the end of Amazon Lily. While some of the cover stories were alluded to, none of them have been done yet.

They need some kid...
Chopper
or orphan...
The entire crew sans Luffy?

upandaway

Griffith said:
It won't be someone we already know.

A mermaid won't join. It would be a Fishman/woman.
Meh alright. I really have nothing to fight that. In general, I'd rather it be an ex-slave if it was a fishman/woman/mermaid, and I'd rather it be Hancock if it was an ex-slave.

This forum has made be a lot less stubborn.

grandjedi6

MetatronM said:
I also expect some INSANE spoilers of massive proportion to somehow be included or alluded to in the next OP. :lol
It could go both ways. On one hand, the anime has been good at avoiding massive spoilers outside of that one time with Robin. For example, they pretty much showed everything BUT the Strawhat seperation/annilation in the last opening.

But on the other hand, the spoiler everyone's alluding to was even mentioned on one japanese show before the chapter even came out officially. So the anime team might not actually consider it a spoiler at all; but rather a 'common fact'.

2qvsi6b.gif

She was more prominently featured in the last opening.

grandjedi6 said:
While I'm sure they'll bring out the big guns, the weaker animation leads are still going to pop up since they work on a cycle. Its not that bad though as even the weakest of the current animation leads has made good episodes when given enough budget & effort.

I want to know how they could let this scene pass to be in the episode, could they honestly not have showed any details on the face.
tumblr_l1rggu4VgI1qbxqfpo1_400.png

grandjedi6

I want to know how they could let this scene pass to be in the episode, could they honestly not have showed any details on the face.
tumblr_l1rggu4VgI1qbxqfpo1_400.png

The animation lead of that episode, Naoki Tate, has a style that emphasizes fluid animation and deemphasizes detail (especially facial features). Most likely, Ivankov was too small to properly contain much detail.

Regardless, it was still a shitty episode and despite emulating Tate's style, the majority of the episode was obviously helmed by more junior animators.

El Sloth said:
Man the pacing in this episode pissed me off. There were like 5 minutes of Ivankov and Magellan staring at each other and saying nothing. Should I just start reading the manga guys? Are there any former anime only watcher that jumped ship here that an give me their opinion?

Do it!!!!!!!

and then post impressions in the manga thread :D

grandjedi6

Excellent episode. Good pacing, great animation, good choice of music, no filler, plenty of content and even some great additions (the transformation sequence was just ace). Next week looks great too.

I also liked that they took in account for future events, rather than creating plot holes like previous Impel Down episodes.

Overall, the end of Impel Down is turning out great with the exception of last week's episode.

Top Bottom