• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Dartastic

Magnus_Bulla said:
Oh fuck! Dude, it's Saturday! This is awesome. I totally forgot it was One Piece day.

1jomzq.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Excellent episode. I loved how they threw in various foreshadowing to make some of the manga's events less deus ex machina-ry (Ivankov, The Fish, etc). The anime also made Luffy alot more competent against Magellen than he was in the manga. The episode's general tone seemed more violent & sinister too (Venom Demon's introduction was almost creepy). Overall the episode had alot more effort to it than usual, almost as if it was a 'special episode' or ova. Even the general directing of the episode felt better than usual.

A+

(Hopefully the last Impel Down arc episode is just as good)

grandjedi6 said:
Excellent episode. I loved how they threw in various foreshadowing to make some of the manga's events less deus ex machina-ry (Ivankov, The Fish, etc). The anime also made Luffy alot more competent against Magellen than he was in the manga. The episode's general tone seemed more violent & sinister too (Venom Demon's introduction was almost creepy). Overall the episode had alot more effort to it than usual, almost as if it was a 'special episode' or ova. Even the general directing of the episode felt better than usual.

A+

(Hopefully the last Impel Down arc episode is just as good)

I agree on all accounts.

Also I forgot how big Ivankov's head is in that growth state. :lol

And I also lol'd at "Are you Straw Hat's son?"

And was it just me or was anyone else thinking, "Bon Clay has to be getting tired of holding his leg up in that position."

Anth0ny

Awesome episode. I love those fucking whales :lol

Also, anyone else notice the jump in animation quality during the Gear 3 scene? It felt like I was watching Movie 10 for a second there :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
bgassassin said:
And I also lol'd at "Are you Straw Hat's son?"
124akpi.gif

Anth0ny said:
Awesome episode. I love those fucking whales :lol

Also, anyone else notice the jump in animation quality during the Gear 3 scene? It felt like I was watching Movie 10 for a second there :D
That's because Gear 3, Magellen's new attack and some other scenes were apparently done by one of Toei's supporting animators, Naotoshi Shida. He's really good and is brought in for certain One Piece scenes but mainly works on Pretty Cure.

[Or you could just watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFTZ88dt9bk]

I think the most exciting part of this episode is the fact that they're out of ID, from this point on the next arc is at most two episodes or so away; unless they add filler or something.

I'm really looking foreward to seeing the next arc animated, I'm guessing we'll probably have a new intro soon as well?

vareon

Snaku said:
First pics of the S.H. Figuarts Luffy!

4587010268_1b0cf10fac.jpg
[/IMG]

I own three SHF's, and they are the nicest action figure toyline I've collected in a very long time. I'm so excited that One Piece is getting the SHF treatment. :D

I'll preorder one :D This would make it my 5th SHF.

Griffith said:
New episode titles are out that show the Straw Hat cover stories are being animated after Impel Down.
That's pretty much what I meant by "fillers", wasn't sure if mentioning what they could be would be considered spoilers in this thread;

What are the released episode titles? I haven't found em on the wiki.

Griffith

Banned
Neoriceisgood said:
That's pretty much what I meant by "fillers", wasn't sure if mentioning what they could be would be considered spoilers in this thread;

What are the released episode titles? I haven't found em on the wiki.
Spoiler tagged are the last two eps of Impel Down.

Titles (rough translation):

451:
Do your last miracle - Breaking through the gates of justice
452:
Aiming to navy headquarters - The voyage to rescue Ace!
453: Weather science and gentlemen passion tea (provisional)
454: Sanji & Chopper episode (provisional)

Well that's perfectly fine as well, I'll be the last person to complain about seeing the straw hats again & possibly having a ton of new content to boot. (Even Namek's animator team from DBZ would be hard pressed to turn 4 panels into an entire episode.

then again...)

Tacitus_

Dedication Through Light said:
How far along are they [Finland] in One Piece. When I came across one of those pages when One Piece was first to be coming out outside of Japan it seemed some European countries and Brazil were getting the manga close to a year before the US, I think?

I like the Privateer name though, I dont think there is such a position in the US though. I dunno, I think I will always call them the Sichibukai~though its because of being so used to it and seeing it in the scans (well the fansubs and even subs dont use it, I think?) (its kind of easy to recognize when they say it during the episodes though).

51 just came out and ended with Luffy punching the shit out of that world noble brat :D

And privateers were part of naval warfare of some nations from the 16th to the 19th century. You may have heard the name Francis Drake.

Tacitus_ said:
And privateers were part of naval warfare of some nations from the 16th to the 19th century[/URL]. You may have heard the name Francis Drake.

Getting a strong sense of irony from the fact that Francis Drake and his OP namesake' Diez Drake have done the complete reverse thing.

upandaway

Griffith said:
453: Weather science and gentlemen passion tea (provisional)
454: Sanji & Chopper episode (provisional)
Nice!!! I barely got anything out of the covers, especially the second ones. Really looking forward to this.

I guess it's Nami/Franky there

Anth0ny

Wait... didn't we get episodes based on the Crew's whereabouts already? Are these gonna be continuations? Or repeats?

I couldn't' care less either way, as long as the pacing and animation is good for the next arc, Toei could do whatever the fuck they want.

grandjedi6 said:
124akpi.gif

That's because Gear 3, Magellen's new attack and some other scenes were apparently done by one of Toei's supporting animators, Naotoshi Shida. He's really good and is brought in for certain One Piece scenes

Ho. Ly. Shit.

Move over Tate, I have a new favourite animator :D

Anth0ny said:
Wait... didn't we get episodes based on the Crew's whereabouts already? Are these gonna be continuations? Or repeats?

I think their last episode was that they were all sent off to the lands, but the cover stories explores what they are doing in their respective destinations. So Im led to believe that the episodes would be continuations based on what they are doing in their places (more so than what was shown?)

Anth0ny

I think their last episode was that they were all sent off to the lands, but the cover stories explores what they are doing in their respective destinations. So Im led to believe that the episodes would be animated based on what they are doing in their places (more so than what was shown?)

No, we already got Gentleman Franky. I'm pretty sure that wasn't a dream of mine :lol

Steroyd

SolidusDave said:
but.. I want someone to beat Magellan :/

That'd be a damn impressive feat, anyone who touches him is poisoned, can neuter people with poison gas bubbles, and he made Mr 3's wax redundant with his infecta-venom, and I assume he was the one who took down Shiyru when he went rogue in ID.

The only people I could realistically see taking him down is one of the admirals which wouldn't happen, or Blackbeard with his black holes had he not got one shotted. :lol

There's an episode 0 Strong World flying about the interwebs! :O

LaneDS

grandjedi6 said:
That's because Gear 3, Magellen's new attack and some other scenes were apparently done by one of Toei's supporting animators, Naotoshi Shida. He's really good and is brought in for certain One Piece scenes but mainly works on Pretty Cure.

[Or you could just watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFTZ88dt9bk]

That Rayleigh entrance scene was so fantastically done in the anime. I hope they employ this guy plenty for the upcoming arc.

Maron

SolidusDave said:
but.. I want someone to beat Magellan :/

For doing his job? Not trying to be a jerk, but to him Luffy's no different than the other scumbags in ID. I think it's fair to say all Luffy cares about right now is getting the fuck out of that place.

I just hate how all the horrible criminals were free. I could imagine Magellan being back in the story if they ever decide to return ...However, I just noticed in my shonen jump issue that some of the criminals who were excited were screaming about that their going to turn over a new leaf and return to their families, lol. I thought it was nice

JDSN said:
This is not the manga thread, please use spoilers for the sake of the people that only watch the anime.

Oops, I havent watched this episode and figured, based on what I read, that what my post referred to had happened in this episode. The english shonen jump chapters are actually following right along with these episode.

upandaway

Well last weeks episode, didnt it touch on
Bon Clay, I thought it did since he wasnt with either Luffy nor Jimbei, Croc, and Buggy at the episodes end
He's still there in 450 with no hints yet. I guess he was just with the rest the whole time.

Maron said:
For doing his job? Not trying to be a jerk, but to him Luffy's no different than the other scumbags in ID. I think it's fair to say all Luffy cares about right now is getting the fuck out of that place.

Normally, no main character is dying in OP, so no harm done if they kicked his ass. He would take a week off and return to work :)

Seriously though, as I don't read the manga I kinda expected Luffy to have gained a resistance to the poison but they would first notice it once Maggelan hits him with his strongest attack. Similar to the surprise when Enel tried his electric attacks on Luffy.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
SolidusDave said:
Normally, no main character is dying in OP, so no harm done if they kicked his ass. He would take a week off and return to work :)

Seriously though, as I don't read the manga I kinda expected Luffy to have gained a resistance to the poison but they would first notice it once Maggelan hits him with his strongest attack. Similar to the surprise when Enel tried his electric attacks on Luffy.

Talking about underwhelming fights..... =P

It would be cool if future cover stories are Magellan going around the world recapturing the nameless criminals.

Of course, I know he and his crew wouldn't realistically leave ID but still. Would be a fun cover story.

VGChampion said:
It would be cool if future cover stories are Magellan going around the world recapturing the nameless criminals.

Of course, I know he and his crew wouldn't realistically leave ID but still. Would be a fun cover story.

Didnt we get some of some criminals at times. Do they always animate the cover stories?

Griffith

Banned
Didnt we get some of some criminals at times. Do they always animate the cover stories?
The only cover stories that have been animated other than the Strawhats, are Buggy's side story and Coby and Helmepo's training.

Himuro said:
I'm glad we don't see Magellan get butt raped. He's different in that he's just this guy doing his job, not some bad guy who's twisted. Magellan rocks.

Same with Hannyabal.

Impel Down might be harshly brutal, and some of the pirates imprisoned there were good people who didn't deserve it, but most of those prisoners sounded like really rough and nasty pirates. Like, pirate pirates, the rape and pillage kind.

Not to mention Crocodile and Mr. 1 (a megalomaniac and an assassin) are free, and even the "weaklings" like Buggy can still easily terrorize innocent people. That's not even bringing up... well, that's going to be quite a few episodes from now, when the upcoming arc is ending.

ID has been effectively crippled by Luffy's actions, and there's still the damage done by Enies Lobby (the gateway to Marine HQ and ID, and the court where the world's worst criminals are processed) being wiped off the map.

"Unintended side-effects" seems like a theme that's developing.

EmCeeGramr said:
Not to mention Crocodile and Mr. 1 (a megalomaniac and an assassin) are free, and even the "weaklings" like Buggy can still easily terrorize innocent people. That's not even bringing up... well, that's going to be quite a few episodes from now, when the upcoming arc is ending.

"Unintended side-effects" seems like a theme that's developing.

I wanna know what Crocodiles motive for joined Luffy is as well as Mr. 1 (Daz?).

I wanna know what Crocodiles motive for joined Luffy is as well as Mr. 1 (Daz?).

Crocodile wanted to leave Impel Down and kill Whitebeard if he had the chance. Mr. 1 said he was just getting bored, and because Crocodile asked him.

grandjedi6 said:
124akpi.gif

:lol

That guy's style is very nice, but he sure loves having characters going back and forth between up close and far away.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
They should do a whole cover story arc "Other happenings in the world of One Piece" and run us through alot of side stuff, just so it can get some distance from the manga and we can get (hopefully) better paced episodes. /pipedream

Top Bottom