• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

EmCeeGramr said:
Impel Down might be harshly brutal, and some of the pirates imprisoned there were good people who didn't deserve it, but most of those prisoners sounded like really rough and nasty pirates. Like, pirate pirates, the rape and pillage kind.

I do think that a lot of the pirates might have deserved to be in there, but that's the problem. If you're going to set up something like Impel Down which is designed to torture people, you can't run the risk of people who don't deserve it going down there. Putting innocent people in there and not admitting it is just as bad as anything Crocodile ever did. That's why I never had any sympathy for Magellan or Hannyabal, because even if they're decent at heart, their actions are twisted.

ryan13ts

Damn, Bon-chan =(

They nailed this episode, brought back all the emotion I felt when I originally read it in the manga. I'm pretty impressed overall with the episode, they even closed a plothole from the manga by explaining why the Marines didn't chase after the escapees (In this case, Bon-chan destroyed the Gates of Justice controls).

Me miss Bon-chan all over again =(

Firestorm

;______;

nobody dies in one piece
nobody dies in one piece
nobody dies in one piece
nobody dies in one piece
nobody dies in one piece
nobody dies in one piece
nobody dies in one piece

;____;

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Damn Bon Clay and his fetish with sacrificing himself for others. This is the 4th time he's done so in the series so it was inevitable that it would be the end for him one day.

grandjedi6

Anth0ny said:
; ___________________ ;

in lighter news, 2 more episodes til
shit gets real
Nope. 2 episodes from now is Nami & Franky's cover stories. After next week's interim Impel Down/Marineford episode we have a month's worth of Strawhat side-adventures to get through.

Dresden

grandjedi6 said:
Damn Bon Clay and his fetish with sacrificing himself for others. This is the 4th time he's done so in the series so it was inevitable that it would be the end for him one day.
Noooooo~ ;_;

grandjedi6

Mikey Jr. said:
Anyone think this could be a good OP opening? Not sure what the fuck they are talking about, but I think it has an One Piece opening feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI2b48-gpeg&playnext_from=TL&videos=w1aD0ULAxpc

Or maybe not, I really don't know what is good j-pop and what isn't. Seems like a majority of all openings have been male voices, apart from this new one.

Nothing will beat Brand New World though. My favourite.
I think that would make for a horrible opening song (for One Piece). Way too cutesy and lacks any sense of "adventure". Plus it seems like it would be very difficult to make an opening animation that matches that song's beat, tempo and tone.

Oh, and I know you're only mentioning that song because it was featured in American Dad :lol

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
NOBODY DIES IN ONE PIECE >=O

until it turns out this arc is a flashback and we're all like ohhhh

and then bon chan ;_;

grandjedi6 said:

Or is it?

<_<

>_>

As for the episode I think it needed more tears and snot and saliva. :lol

I lol'd at one of the people being stuck in Iva's nose for some reason.

And I'm just hoping we're done with this opening. I think it's the only opening I bypassed from the get go.

upandaway

grandjedi6 said:
Nope. 2 episodes from now is Nami & Franky's cover stories. After next week's interim Impel Down/Marineford episode we have a month's worth of Strawhat side-adventures to get through.
Awesome. It would be nice if they had some filler arc afterwards too. No offense to anime-only dudes, but I want something different!

This episode there was a Marine grunt with a hat that spiked in the back. It was a different color than the hair, but it totally seemed like a Jojo reference.

As much as I want to see the straw hats again, I almost feel bad about the next arc being delayed a bit, I really would love to see how they animate it. :lol

But hey, straw hat seperation adventures are pretty much canon, right? I'm curious what we'll get for them.

bgassassin said:
And I'm just hoping we're done with this opening. I think it's the only opening I bypassed from the get go.

I think its a fantastic opening, and could be used for the entire arc...which they seemed to have incorporated into its animation, lol. I love the dondon dondon dondon part. Though, Im used to other shows changing openings every 15 or so episodes.

Mikey Jr.

grandjedi6 said:
I think that would make for a horrible opening song (for One Piece). Way too cutesy and lacks any sense of "adventure". Plus it seems like it would be very difficult to make an opening animation that matches that song's beat, tempo and tone.

Oh, and I know you're only mentioning that song because it was featured in American Dad :lol

haha, you caught me.

Alright. Yeah, no idea what makes a good One Piece song. Btw, when are we getting a new opening?

Steroyd

Bon Chan :_:

Because it's One Piece, until I see a corpse he isn't dead. :(

Can't believe I almost ended up teary eye'd, one of the few times where I appreciate a flashback fest.

Anth0ny

grandjedi6 said:

Oh, right >__________>

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The pacing and animation better be A+ in the next arc. It deserves nothing less.

Griffith

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Oh, right >__________>

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The pacing and animation better be A+ in the next arc. It deserves nothing less.
God I hope so. I'll be so disappointed if they mess up my favourite arc.

Dedication Through Light said:
I think its a fantastic opening, and could be used for the entire arc...which they seemed to have incorporated into its animation, lol. I love the dondon dondon dondon part. Though, Im used to other shows changing openings every 15 or so episodes.

This opening is one of the worst if not the worst . It also the only opening that i know of where OP Japanese fans cause huge up roar in japan . Toei got allot of hate mail that they had to came out and say something about it .

I hope they change it by the time we get to next arc it's the darkest arc in OP and most epic one so far a OP .

JDSN

Banned
"I know you can save your brother" :(

ryan13ts said:
they even closed a plothole from the manga by explaining why the Marines didn't chase after the escapees (In this case, Bon-chan destroyed the Gates of Justice controls).
I feel it created one, cos know theres no way for
BB to escape through the gates, unless San Juan Wolf can get over them, which would also make Lafitte's hypnosis over the control room people kinda pointless.

I found it odd that the Gates of Justice were actually mechanical (I thought they were at least opened by controls attached directly to them) and controlled from as far away as Impel Down, unless I was misled into believing that Impel Down was far from Marineford and the gates in the halfway point.

It took 30 episodes to get through Impel Down?

ugh, visiting an One Piece wiki to read some infos was not a good idea, spoiled the main outcome of the Marineford arc :(
Then I just read everything about it and the involved characters and now I want to see the anime arc in full but it will takes months. Maybe I should just stop watching until it finishes. By then I'll might even have forgotten some twists/surprises/Devil Fruit power informations as well.

Steroyd

JDSN said:
I feel it created one, cos know theres no way for
BB to escape through the gates, unless San Juan Wolf can get over them, which would also make Lafitte's hypnosis over the control room people kinda pointless.

There's 4 hours left before Ace's execution.
they could have done emergency repairs in that time, even more time seeing how the party ends.

SolidusDave said:
ugh, visiting an One Piece wiki to read some infos was not a good idea, spoiled the main outcome of the Marineford arc :(
Then I just read everything about it and the involved characters and now I want to see the anime arc in full but it will takes months. Maybe I should just stop watching until it finishes. By then I'll might even have forgotten some twists/surprises/Devil Fruit power informations as well.
You should give the manga a chance. It is just as entertaining as the anime without pacing issues, IMO.

SolidusDave said:

That happened to me when I visited the site while I was trying to catch up, except the headline on every page was in reference to a character, so that plotpoint was spoiled for me :(

At the rate its going, I dont think I could last without the weekly One Piece episode or chapter, cause its so engrossing. I dont see any point for stopping as the Journey to get there is as exciting as the end result.

Just saw the Season 3 2nd Voyage boxart posted on apforums. It looks great. I'm so glad they went away from the character artwork boxes. Skypiea FTW!
28utoxy.jpg

Easystride said:
Just saw the Season 3 2nd Voyage boxart posted on apforums. It looks great. I'm so glad they went away from the character artwork boxes. Skypiea FTW!
http://i46.tinypic.com/28utoxy.jpg

tumblr_l2qyqyI8jI1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Well now I feel bad for not having money right now to get these boxsets but i will soon, lol, and its one of my favorite sections of the manga that Ive yet to see animated.

Also my favorite image from the most recent episode (451)

Firestorm

I expected more people commenting on Buggy's reveal as a part of Roger's crew! I guess everyone reads the manga at this point?

I'm pretty happy with the pacing in the last two or three episodes. They're finally covering a decent amount of content per episode imo.

What? This episode felt kind of slow, being a manga reader and all. I guess I just in terms of advancing the story knowing whats coming, you know?

Anyway, I do love it when Buggy soliloquises

Firestorm said:
I expected more people commenting on Buggy's reveal as a part of Roger's crew! I guess everyone reads the manga at this point?

I'm pretty happy with the pacing in the last two or three episodes. They're finally covering a decent amount of content per episode imo.
I thought it was revealed ages ago in the anime or am I confusing the anime with the manga:lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Entropia said:
Pretty sure it was mentioned like near the start of the series.
Buggy appeared with Shanks and Rayleigh in episode 8.

Rayleigh also mentioned in episode 400 that Buggy was a member of the Roger Pirates.

The next episode preview for 453 looks fun. :D

Entropia said:
Pretty sure it was mentioned like near the start of the series.

I remember them mentioning it during the Sabaody Archipelago Arc in the Anime. It could of been mentioned at the beginning but I don't think so.

-edit- MetatronM cleared it up.

grandjedi6

Buggy and Shanks were first revealed to have been a part of Roger's crew in chapter 434/episode 316, which was when Shanks and Whitebeard met after the Enies Lobby arc.

Overall it was a decent episode for an eventless one. Even in the corresponding manga chapter nothing really happened in this episode/chapter besides more Buggy antics. So taking the overly-comedic tone was for the best.

Now we have 4 weeks of Strawhat adventures followed by, hopefully, the Marineford arc. Of course, while some of these Strawhat episodes I'm interested in seeing (Sanji's; Robin's), others I couldn't care less about (Chopper's).

slade

grandjedi6 said:
Buggy and Shanks were first revealed to have been a part of Roger's crew in chapter 434/episode 316, which was when Shanks and Whitebeard met after the Enies Lobby arc.

No, in the anime, you know this right from the first arc with Buggy which is right at the beginning of the series.

grandjedi6

slade said:
No, in the anime, you know this right from the first arc with Buggy which is right at the beginning of the series.
No, you learned during the Buggy arc that Buggy and Shanks used to be crewmates. However it was not revealed that the crew they were on was Roger's until much much later on (chapter 434/episode 316).

Oi! Oi! Oi! Neogaf! Oi! Oi! Oi! Oi! Neogaf! Ooooooiiiiii!

Is it just me or did the episode go by pretty fast?

Nami's was ok. Just reaffirms that she will have a powerup

Franky is as SUPER! as ever. Loved how his VA said super while still in gentleman mode. :lol And a nice cliffhanger. Franky's segment easily topped Nami's.

grandjedi6 said:
No, you learned during the Buggy arc that Buggy and Shanks used to be crewmates. However it was not revealed that the crew they were on was Roger's until much much later on (chapter 434/episode 316).

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's even cooler knowing that Raleigh is shown back then. At least in the manga. Not sure if he was in the anime.

Top Bottom