• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Maron

It was used as an opening during Enies Lobby, but only for 4 episodes. It was used after Brand New World and before Crazy Rainbow Star, but people don't tend to count this an opening. And rightfully so, it's the same lyrics and had the exact same animation as the original We Are.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ferrio said:
Anyone else think Luffy is going to die at the end of the series? I swear it's being set up for that. His gears take a bit of life everytime he uses them, and he had the hormone treatment from Iva. Thinking he'll be spent by the finale.
I've been feeling this ever since they mentioned his lifespan and I constantly see it as a possibility.

I can see it both ways.

Luffy dying and before he dies he will give a speech that would change the world for better or Luffy surviving and sailing the seas in freedom with his crewmates.

Crakatak187 said:
I can see it both ways.

Luffy dying and before he dies he will give a speech that would change the world for better or Luffy surviving and sailing the seas in freedom with his crewmates.

I dont really like it when series leave it open ended like that, which is my fear for the shonen jump series. But in terms of One Piece, that would be horrible because, I, lol, would be like, the author could finish it off at least with some conclusive event. Or making it go to when Luffy is off old age at least and decides to retire would be better.

That's what luffy wants so I'm fine with that idea. That's what he told Silvers Roger's first mate. He wants to sail freely. I don't really like having main characters die at the end. The old age idea is pretty cool, add to that the separation of the crew and what happened afterwards.

Oh Boy, i'm about to get into the battle with CP9, and this is simply thrilling. And the Sogeking theme song is the best thing i have ever seen. Luffy is about to
fight Blueno. I'm so pumped for this
. Serious business

Steroyd

Dedication Through Light said:
I dont really like it when series leave it open ended like that, which is my fear for the shonen jump series. But in terms of One Piece, that would be horrible because, I, lol, would be like, the author could finish it off at least with some conclusive event. Or making it go to when Luffy is off old age at least and decides to retire would be better.

Luffy would never retire on a pension so to speak, he bitched at captain Kuro (Claw guy on Ussop's island), when he was "sick and tired of being a pirate"

Besides if it came to a complete conclusion, how else will we be whored out on One Piece Z and GT?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
aazrjm.png

Ferrio

Banned
goldlion054 said:
Oh Boy, i'm about to get into the battle with CP9, and this is simply thrilling. And the Sogeking theme song is the best thing i have ever seen. Luffy is about to
fight Blueno. I'm so pumped for this
. Serious business

That was one of the first "holy shit" fights in the series for me. He had some great ones before hand, but this was awesome.

Trickster

Ferrio said:
That was one of the first "holy shit" fights in the series for me. He had some great ones before hand, but this was awesome.

Truth. Went from "awesome series" to "best series" :lol

Crakatak187 said:
I can see it both ways.

I'm thinking that just before the Strawhats get to Raftel, the World Government will capture and kill them all. It would be the only way for the world to be safe, anyway.

If the true history is revealed, the world government is basically done for. If it falls, there won't be anything stopping pirates and criminals from doing whatever they want, and more than likely the world will enter a state of anarchy that it won't ever recover from. Millions of people will die because of evil monsters like Aokiji and Garp who didn't have what it took to stop incredibly dangerous criminals.

Somewhere else, someone argued that Aokiji and Garp were evil and that Akainu was a hero, and I'm pretty sure they were being serious about this. I agree, the World Government is disgusting, but to be honest I'm curious to see how Oda is going to keep the above situation from happening, unless the Strawhats find the history and then cover it up for some reason.

grandjedi6

Apforums is a great source of news and even a great forum at times, but alot of the fans there are so deep in the fandom that they've lost all perspective. Whether its batshit theories, judging an episode based soley on animation fluidity or seriously proposing that Perona will join the Strawhats, insanity abounds. But that can be said of all series-specific forums. Even GAF's gaming side (very) frequently abides by that rule.

Himuro said:
It is interesting, but it seems obvious to me at this point -- not only due to the missing history, but also the revolutionaries -- that the WG will be bum rushed before the end of the series. Likely by Dragon. Maybe alongside Luffy with the weapon.

If the WG is destroyed I'm sure they'd find SOME way to create new leadership.

In any case, I find all of this more interesting than a passe' answer like,"They're all killed before reaching Raftel." :p

And I now realize that you're just being sarcastic due to the evil monsters bit :lol

Yeah, knowing Oda, there has to be some way the world will be saved in the end. The WG can't possibly make it all the way through the series, but it wouldn't be realistic for them to go down and then for the world to suddenly get better (although this is One Piece, so it wouldn't have to be that realistic).

Who are these whackos who argued that Akainu is actually good and Aokiji and Garp are bad? :lol: Was this at Arlong Park? :lol:

They didn't outright say "good" and "evil", but that Aokiji and Garp were negligent to the point of being dangerous (they made the point that Aokiji sparing the Strawhats because he recognized that they weren't evil people will probably lead to the deaths of many innocent people due to the Impel Down breakout) and that Akainu is much better at protecting the world.

In that same topic, I also learned that wiping Ohara out of existence and giving a seven year old an insane bounty was reasonable, and that we should feel bad for the Elder Stars because they have to make hard decisions.

I don't think Akoji is evil but he is sure a dick. The guy started Waterseven incident for a test and froze his own friend. Not to mention blowing up a fleeing ship of archeologist.

I won't mention Akainu because it's spoiler.

Akainu is the one who blew up the ship. Aokiji kind of is a jerk for killing Saul but at least that was somewhat understandable, unlike anything Akainu has ever done.

El Sloth

Banned
Ferrio said:
Anyone else think Luffy is going to die at the end of the series? I swear it's being set up for that. His gears take a bit of life everytime he uses them, and he had the hormone treatment from Iva. Thinking he'll be spent by the finale.

About that, didn't Kuma "push" all the pain and damage that the gears caused him to that at Thriller Bark? Or was that only the damage the gears caused in that arc?

Steroyd

El Sloth said:
About that, didn't Kuma "push" all the pain and damage that the gears caused him to that at Thriller Bark? Or was that only the damage the gears caused in that arc?

It could go either way the author wants it to be honest.

grandjedi6

fyi, the "Whereabouts of the Strawhats" episodes have (probably) been confirmed as canon. Definitely not filler at least.

Firestorm

grandjedi6 said:
fyi, the "Whereabouts of the Strawhats" episodes have (probably) been confirmed as canon. Definitely not filler at least.
Ah right those parts hadn't been shown in the manga yet had they? I just finished Thriller Bark with Viz and I started scanlations near the end of Impel Down so I have this gap where I don't know what happened!

Snaku

Banned
Finally decided to begin collecting Funi's OP DVDs again. I bought the first volume they released way back when it originally came out, but decided to hold off on the rest until they price dropped a little. I was able to get the next six volumes for $98 on Amazon, where marketplace sellers had them for $8-15 new. Can't wait to watch the Arlong arc again. :D

Randy said:
So no Strawhats at Marineford? :( (Not reading the manga here)

Not to spoil anything, but consider the timing, Luffy is just like at most 45 minutes away from Marinford and the scheduled time for execution is like mere hours (4 or so?).

The episodes showed each of the strawhats simultaneously at far off locations, and I think some of them have no knowledge of what is up with Luffy or even what may happen to Ace.

lol, a miracle or something would need to bring them together. But like I posited, maybe another "whereabouts" of strawhats episode set would come up

Ferrio

Banned
Not to spoil anything, but consider the timing, Luffy is just like at most 45 minutes away from Marinford and the scheduled time for execution is like mere hours (4 or so?).

The episodes showed each of the strawhats simultaneously at far off locations, and I think some of them have no knowledge of what is up with Luffy or even what may happen to Ace.

lol, a miracle or something would need to bring them together. But like I posited, maybe another "whereabouts" of strawhats episode set would come up

Well how long was luffy on amazon lily and how long did it take him to get to Impel down?

upandaway

Himuro said:
Luffy was on Amazon Lily for just a few days. Two-three tops.

It took only a few hours to get to Amazon Lily as Amazon Lily is close to both Marineford, Impel Down, the Calm Belt and Saobody Archipelago.
He flew for 3 days to get there from Sabaody so it's not that close.

Himuro said:
In any case, I think when Luffy finds One Piece, it will start a revolution, and he will use this weapon against the WG to destroy their tyranny and help tell the world the missing history. He will be pirate king, but he will have to retain the title until his death.

That wouldn't really go with how the series has been so far though. Luffy really only does stuff to help his crew. I can't see him doing something like that unless the rest of the strawhats are captured. I know Dragon will come into play some day but the Strawhats don't seem to care / stay out of the big stuff.

And honestly, that's what I like about the show. Their technically just a small part in this big story who occasionally get caught up in the big events.

Randy

Was hoping their mini-stories would round up, Kuma pops up, gives them a good slap with the ol' bearhand and send them straight to Marineford, seeing Luffy in trouble. My imagination knows no limits, I tell you!

grandjedi6

Randy said:
Was hoping their mini-stories would round up, Kuma pops up, gives them a good slap with the ol' bearhand and send them straight to Marineford, seeing Luffy in trouble. My imagination knows no limits, I tell you!
It would take days for Kuma to travel to all the Strawhats to give them all a "good slap with the ol' bearhand" and then even more time for the Strawhats to then travel to Marineford. That's a good 1-2 weeks of travel time needed before the war starts in about... 10 minutes.

Trickster

Have the studio in charge of the One Piece anime talked anything about their budget level for the marineford arc? Because it really deserves a nice budget.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Trickster said:
Have the studio in charge of the One Piece anime talked anything about their budget level for the marineford arc? Because it really deserves a nice budget.

It's Toei. They are even cheaper than Studio Pierrot.

grandjedi6

Trickster said:
What do you mean by "budget"? Are you talking about how much money is devoted to each episode or are you talking about the superfluous idea that somehow equates to an increase in quality without concern? :p

Anyway, while there are clear points where the budget has gone up over time, One Piece doesn't seem to be affected by budget fluctuations much on an episode-to-episode basis (ah the benefits of being an enormously popular series!). Rather an episode's quality is more dependent on who is animating it and how much content they cover. I'm sure they'll get both right for the important parts (they usually do) but the real question is whether they'll put a similar effort into the less important scenes of Marineford. Considering that the cooresponding manga chapters of Marineford were both shorter than normal and more erratically paced, the beginning of this arc will be a disaster if Toei tries to continue with their 1 episode per chapter pacing.

At the very least, Toei seems to understand that Marineford is "more important" than the typical episode.

Relix said:
It's Toei. They are even cheaper than Studio Pierrot.
Toei may be cheaper than Studio Pierrot but they still end up spending more on average than Pierrot does.

Well that was decent, I had never seen those parts animated.
tumblr_l5dka3vPrb1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Now Im excited when I get these episodes on dvd. I didnt know the Glint-Glint fruit made the admirals body entirely of light beam composition. Theres no way anyone could land a hit (unless Silver did it because of Haki?)

grandjedi6

Well that was decent, I had never seen those parts animated.
tumblr_l5dka3vPrb1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Now Im excited when I get these episodes on dvd. I didnt know the Glint-Glint fruit made the admirals body entirely of light beam composition. Theres no way anyone could land a hit (unless Silver did it because of Haki?)
Yeah, Kizaru is a logia which means that he has the ability to turn into the element of "light", just like how Crocodile is sand and Aokiji is ice. And yes, Silver used haki to cut Kizaru. Another way to hurt him though would be to hit him with his weakness or opposite power, but the weakness to Light isn't as easy to figure out as Water beating Sand or Rubber beating Electricity.

El Sloth

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Yeah, Kizaru is a logia which means that he has the ability to turn into the element of "light", just like how Crocodile is sand and Aokiji is ice. And yes, Silver used haki to cut Kizaru. Another way to hurt him though would be to hit him with his weakness or opposite power, but the weakness to Light isn't as easy to figure out as Water beating Sand or Rubber beating Electricity.

I would assume his weakness would be Blackbeard, no?

Top Bottom