• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Himuro said:
I still think that
Ace being in his mother's wound for 20 months is fucking stupid
and it's the ONLY plot twist in the entire series I have disagreed with. I still feel the same way a year later. It's fucking stupid.
This is a series where 20 foot tall people are normal and aren't considered giants (hell, Crocodile is a pretty regular lookin' dude and he's over 8 feet tall!), normal people with no remarkable physical traits like Kohza can shrug off being shot with a gun at point blank range multiple times, nobody really questions the oddness of a talking three foot tall fuzzy animal hybrid beyond only the rare slight surprise (and are even LESS surprised when he transforms into a 7 foot hulking beast), and one villain flew to the moon on a flying boat and became king of the moon people.

I don't see why pulling off some superhuman feat of this particular sort is any more stupid than these other things that are pretty generally taken for granted in One Piece.

"I was with you on the giant turtle smoking a stogie, wearing a cowboy hat, and pulling a carriage at high speed, but I'm afraid
not sticking with the strictest biological guidelines of human gestation
has completely lost me."

I don't know. When in doubt, "it's One Piece" has been a pretty sufficient explanation for most of the batshit ridiculous stuff that goes on in this series. :lol

Himuro said:
Normally, I'd agree, but in this case, it just seems out of nowhere. It's not a big deal, but disappointing coming from Oda.

Man it really simple Will of D made it happen :lol .
If fact i kind happy that Oda did that showing you that everything in real world can be change in One Piece.

Maron

Himuro said:
Fantastic episode. Anime only people are in for a treat.

THIS. Also, amazing OP, but so fucking sad. Still, I think the way it is was perfect, I kinda wished we could've seen a couple of Marineford fights animated in it though, since that would've been a great way to fill the Op with Marineford stuff without spoilers. I didn't mind the still shots in the opening since they all looked so beautiful and polished. Rootless was right, they delivered!

Now all that's left is to watch the actual episode. :lol

Snaku

Banned
Himuro said:
Every time I see Kizaru in the manga or anime, or period I just lol. He has a smug face EVERY TIME HE'S SHOWN and I can't get enough :lol

33w1wfb.jpg

upandaway

The tension was damn scary. I love the result of that scene.

One good thing I can definitely say about the anime is that it really nails the awesome scenes. Hiluluk, Bellamy, Brook-Laboon etc. etc. This scene is added to the list.
Pacing throughout the episode was also really good. Anime-only people should be very pleased knowing this, hopefully it keeps up till the end of Marineford.

Also the opening was good, but the animation kind of sucked. Looking back I think I liked Kokoro no Chizu animation best.
Good song, awesome scenes/frames, it's just the animation was off a little.

Edit: Watched the opening again, and apparently now Marco's bird is blue? I guess it makes sense, it's just I totally thought it was Ho-Oh colored. One of "those" moments I guess.

LaneDS

Love the new opening, and that was a very good episode as well. Gives me hope for what's ahead. Impel Down was hugely disappointing to me, as far as the anime goes.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
upandaway said:
Also the opening was good, but the animation kind of sucked. Looking back I think I liked Kokoro no Chizu animation best.
Good song, awesome scenes/frames, it's just the animation was off a little.
? The animation was great. Are you sure you're not just being thrown off because its all done in character reel style? Or perhaps its not strictly animation you're refering to?

upandaway said:
Edit: Watched the opening again, and apparently now Marco's bird is blue? I guess it makes sense, it's just I totally thought it was Ho-Oh colored. One of "those" moments I guess.
Himuro said:
I thought his bird would be orange.
Its always been blue. Right when his powers were first shown the marines comment on his "blue flames":

214e6o1.jpg

upandaway

grandjedi6 said:
? The animation was great. Are you sure you're not just being thrown off because its all done in character reel style? Or perhaps its not strictly animation you're refering to?
Maybe it's that. It's mainly how they fade out after doing their move, I don't like that.

Maron

Firestorm said:
I didn't see anything spoiler-worthy in Strong World Episode 0

It showed
Ace's mother and had a quick Dadan speaking cameo
But yeah, if you've watched episode 459 you should be ready to see this.

Wiseblade

The new Opening isn't bad, and this episode was decently pacedHopefully this arc will translate well to the anime.

Is it time to rank the openings yet? I love ranking stuff!

1) Share the world
2) Hikari-e
3) We are! (all versions)
4) Brand new world
5) Kokoro no chizu
6) One Day
7) Bon Voyage
8) Jungle P
9) Believe
10) Kaze wo Sagashite
11) Crazy Rainbow Star

Azure J

Wiseblade said:
The new Opening isn't bad, and this episode was decently pacedHopefully this arc will translate well to the anime.

Is it time to rank the openings yet? I love ranking stuff!

1) Share the world
2) Hikari-e
3) We are! (all versions)
4) Brand new world
5) Kokoro no chizu
6) One Day
7) Bon Voyage
8) Jungle P
9) Believe
10) Kaze wo Sagashite
11) Crazy Rainbow Star

WAT.

This is injustice. More so for Bon Voyage.

Wiseblade

AzureJericho said:
WAT.

This is injustice. More so for Bon Voyage.
Oops, I got Bon voyage and One Day the wrong way round.

Well if I used the "greater than" scale:

Share the World > Hikari E > We Are! > Brand New World >> Bon Voyage >>> One Day >>>>>> Jungle P >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kaze wo Sagashite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crazy Rainbow Star

Maron

Iron E Man said:
Kizaru really has the best smug face ever. :lol
Also new opening is definitely in the top 5 for me.

Me too. Though it's hard to rank them because for me it all really coms down to what arc the song was used for and if it was appropriate for said arc. Of course, the first few openings weren't story related, so for those I would've ranked on the quality of the actual songs.

Randy

I don't quite understand it anymore. So...

Luffy
is Ace's brother.
And Ace
is naturally Luffy's brother.
Though
Dragon is Luffy's father.
And
Gold Roger is Ace's father.

So...
Luffy & Ace aren't really brothers? And Garp is only the grandfather of Luffy and not of Ace?

Firestorm

Randy said:

Luffy
is Ace's brother.
And Ace
Though
And

So...
Luffy & Ace aren't really brothers? And Garp is only the grandfather of Luffy and not of Ace?
Guess you'll find out.

Randy

The mystery! My mind's gonna explode. Waiting 7 days for 20 minutes of material is really a torture...

And I know I could read the manga, but I just like watching better, with the music, excellent voicework (Buggy!), etc... I'd only spoil the epicness of the anime, don't want to do that.

Randy said:

Luffy
is Ace's brother.
And Ace
Though
And

So...

Dragon and Roger were lovers who obviously couldn't sire children. To solve this Dragon had Ivanko us his devil fruit powers to turn him into a woman for a limited time so that him and Roger could have children together. So Roger and Dragon are both Luffy's and Ace's fathers.

Anth0ny

Come on guys, we all know We Are is the best OP. It defines adventure, and is one of the last "true" anime opening themes. Everything after has just been J-Pop artists offering their songs to sell more records.

There's a reason why we hear the instrumental all over the place (including every next episode preview) and even the vocal version once and a while. The song is One Piece.

If One Piece pulled a Dragon Ball and decided to only use one OP for the entire series, I'd be ecstatic to hear We Are every week :D

but I loves me some Kokoro no Chizu

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Randy said:
The mystery! My mind's gonna explode. Waiting 7 days for 20 minutes of material is really a torture...

And I know I could read the manga, but I just like watching better, with the music, excellent voicework (Buggy!), etc... I'd only spoil the epicness of the anime, don't want to do that.

Boy do I have some bad news for you....

(there's no episode next week)

Iron E Man said:
Kizaru really has the best smug face ever. :lol
Also new opening is definitely in the top 5 for me.

Crocodile says hi. :p
Sir_Crocodile.png

Actually kizaru's face reminds me of Katakuriko Matsudaira from Gintama. I think they were both based on the same person.
Matsudaira.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So guys, I just got done with the whole K-F batch out while watching OP with my sister. Erm... what group do I go for now? I forgot :lol :lol

Problem with Funi is their page won't let me stream videos because "I am not from USA" which is bullshit but oh well what can you do. KF has up to 270 and I am downloading up to 260. Where to go then?

Firestorm

Relix said:
So guys, I just got done with the whole K-F batch out while watching OP with my sister. Erm... what group do I go for now? I forgot :lol :lol

Problem with Funi is their page won't let me stream videos because "I am not from USA" which is bullshit but oh well what can you do. KF has up to 270 and I am downloading up to 260. Where to go then?
ADC-Elites -> Vegapunk

I'm pretty sure K-F is past where Gerusama stopped at.

The animation for the new opening is great but the song is more suited for an ED rather than an OP. "Forgettable" is the best word to describe it. Almost every other song in the series' history had an immediately memorable tune--this is just some slow generic shit that you forget the moment it finishes.

RagnarokX

Himuro said:
Oh yeah totally. Blue is different.
Blue is hotter than orange.
SolidusDave said:
What? Why wasn't that in the anime, is it not canon?
The manga has "cover arcs." Sometimes the covers of chapters will be used as a full page panel depicting events taking place elsewhere in the world and act as epilogues. There have been ones about the aftermaths of almost every major arc. I highly doubt any of them will ever get animated, except for, obviously, the ones that were dedicated to the strawhats after they were separated, because they've already been animated. Maybe if they become relevant to the main story like the Strawhats cover arc was they will be. They could have used them as canon filler.

Trickster

grandjedi6 said:
Boy do I have some bad news for you....

(there's no episode next week)

Argh seriously? I thought it was the week after next week that didn't have one. Shit man, next episode is gonna be so ridiculously awesome too... (though, I could say that for every episode this entire arc, couldn't I? :lol)

RagnarokX said:
The manga has "cover arcs." Sometimes the covers of chapters will be used as a full page panel depicting events taking place elsewhere in the world and act as epilogues. There have been ones about the aftermaths of almost every major arc. I highly doubt any of them will ever get animated, except for, obviously, the ones that were dedicated to the strawhats after they were separated, because they've already been animated. Maybe if they become relevant to the main story like the Strawhats cover arc was they will be. They could have used them as canon filler.

ah ok, thx, I guess I will read those in the manga then.

upandaway

RagnarokX said:
Well there's that Tiny Buggy cover arc that was animated for no particular reason, early on.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Firestorm said:
ADC-Elites -> Vegapunk

I'm pretty sure K-F is past where Gerusama stopped at.

It's near impossible to get these episodes by now. Wow. ADC Elites have no seeds on them and VegaPunk is down.

Reknoc

upandaway said:
Well there's that Tiny Buggy cover arc that was animated for no particular reason, early on.

Well it might have been abit weird that Buggy was suddenly fully bodied and working with Alvida out of nowhere. Koby and Helmeppo stuff was animated aswell. Both became relevent to the main story.

Relix said:
BTW... damn that Skypiea arc is atrocious :lol

:(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Reknoc said:

Hey it's fun and it definitely has its moments, but the pacing feels off. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Also the initial art is really bad though in later episodes animation and art get back to standard. Enel is built up so much but yet the hyped up fight is barely anything. The face he makes is still epic though :lol Shandia was sightly interested, but at least in my sister's case last night she wanted to skip one of the flashbacks when Wiper is about to get clocked.

It's still the worst of the main arcs. Also, it's just a re-imagining of Alabasta with some different elements. Oh, and less epic. As I said, interesting plot marred down by bad pacing, art and some stupid directing decisions.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
RagnarokX said:
Little Buggy and Coby-Helmeppo's cover storylines were both animated. Jango's was extremely loosely partially adapted for one of the movie shorts. We've picked up storylines in the anime with Baroque Works, Hatchan, and Ace that take place after their respective cover arcs have played out, even though they weren't animated.

And, of course, there have been the Straw Hat cover page arcs which have appeared and been expanded upon in the anime.

As far as I know, the only cover arcs that haven't had some impact on the continuing story of the series thus far have been Wapol's, Enel's, Gedatsu's, and CP9's. And who knows, maybe one of them will come up again. But yeah, they are considered canon.

Relix said:
It's still the worst of the main arcs. Also, it's just a re-imagining of Alabasta with some different elements. Oh, and less epic. As I said, interesting plot marred down by bad pacing, art and some stupid directing decisions.

Really? lol, now I feel a bit uninspired to see it animated. I rushed through it in the manga and thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Dedication Through Light said:
Really? lol, now I feel a bit uninspired to see it animated. I rushed through it in the manga and thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Just watch it.
As I said, I am re-watching the series with my sister who is watching it for the first time so I love to see her reactions to the stuff going on. She loved Jaya and was absolutely intrigued by Sky Island. As we were all I think. As the arc progressed the anime slowed down the pace to the point the freaking Sasori-fatguyinballs battle lasted 3 irritating and gruesome episodes. Things didn't pick up much until about that episode with the dancing wolves which is awesome though :lol . She loved that the island was part of Jaya and that surprise element... something, once again, I think we all loved. Thankfully after this the battles pick up a bit until the Ohm battle where they slow down again to once more a unimpresive and anti-climatic ending with Zoro vs. Ohm. It takes two slow as shit episodes for Enel to beat everyone, something that shouldn't have taken that long. Then we Luffy finally fights Enel it only lasts 1.4 episodes or something.

Art was really weak as well, even worse than the initial episodes. As I said, it gets better along the way but usually it's not good. It's of consistent quality, so what you see is what you will get most of the ride except for some episodes which were obviously animated better.

Pretty meh :lol

EDIT: Spoilered to be a nice guy

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Reports from Relix's Sister Watching Adventure:

At the end, she thought it needed more action against Enel. She enjoyed the Cargara backstory quite a bit. She did like how Enel was owned. She liked the ending too and was excited about the giants explanation :lol .

Anyway, I skipped G8. Yes, it's good filler, but I kinda want to focus on the story with her. =P. Also skipped Foxy because that's one god-awful arc with no story repercussions. And it sucks. Harder than Skypiea. So I jumped straight to the Aokiji fight. Was this a good choice? =P.

Anyway... man getting the later episodes is a true bitch. Wow.

upandaway

Relix said:
Also skipped Foxy because that's one god-awful arc with no story repercussions. And it sucks. Harder than Skypiea. So I jumped straight to the Aokiji fight. Was this a good choice? =P.
Hmmm... at least the last fight, man.

Top Bottom