• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

The fansubs out for Strong World now are absolutely terrible. They leave "nakama" and "mugiwara" untranslated for some unknown reason. The movie was entertaining though. Definitely the best One Piece movie so far, but that's not saying much.

Easystride said:
The fansubs out for Strong World now are absolutely terrible. They leave "nakama" and "mugiwara" untranslated for some unknown reason. The movie was entertaining though. Definitely the best One Piece movie so far, but that's not saying much.

If that's the only reason you think they're terrible...seems like it's good enough to watch

Bebpo

Banned
Snaku said:
New POPs ahoy!

UjEll.jpg

More pics of Luffy, Ace, Garp, and unpainted Blackbeard: http://blog.hobbystock.jp/report/2010/07/tp0434.html

Looks really good. Wouldn't mind that on my desk.

Most annoying translations for me is when they type in the character's special moves in another language. I get it. The names are in another language but I can hear that. Now I want it translated to what I understand. No reason to even type it in at that point.

Wiseblade

Strong World is the best out of the One Piece movies I'd seen, but a little disappointing. I guess I'd mentally hyped it up too much and was let down when it turned out to be a run of the mill filler flick with better jokes and action.

Quicksilva said:
Meh, I forgot there wasn't an episode this week. Gutted :(

I still need to see the previews off of last weeks episode for the upcoming episode, lol. I dont understand why funimation or rather Toei Animation clips it from the onepieceofficial stream

mileS

Easystride said:

Theres a pretty good reason for nakama considering fansubs have been leaving it like that since episode 50 or so. I forget the reason why but I don't mind it at all.

Firestorm

mileS said:
Theres a pretty good reason for nakama considering fansubs have been leaving it like that since episode 50 or so. I forget the reason why but I don't mind it at all.
The reasoning was given by K-F back around the Arlong arc and was pretty bullshit looking back considering how easily it can be replaced with "crew", "comrade", and even "friend" in most cases and retain all meaning.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Easystride said:
Definitely the best One Piece movie so far, but that's not saying much.
Eh, I would still say Movie 6 is better. But that movie has always been the exception to the rule.

Dedication Through Light said:
I still need to see the previews off of last weeks episode for the upcoming episode, lol. I dont understand why funimation or rather Toei Animation clips it from the onepieceofficial stream
Toei and Funimation don't actually clip off the preview from the simucast. Rather the preview hasn't even been made by the time Toei sends the episode to Funimation. Its pretty much the last thing done about an episode and is thrown together shortly before airing.

Bebpo

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Eh, I would still say Movie 6 is better. But that movie has always been the exception to the rule.

That's about how I feel.

Strong World was fairly dull and forgettable like basically every OP movie there is. Kind of a shame, Oda's involvement in the film apparently added nothing besides maybe some cool outfits.

Pimpwerx

Wow? Please dont let that mean that the entirety of the next episode will be all backstory :( lol, I cant believe this.
I see a white whale. :D If that's the case, next episode should have plenty of cool in it. Besides, we need to hear the story of Garp and Roger.

Thanks to whoever mentioned Strong World. That's gonna fill the gap for me this weekend. I didn't know OP was off this week. PEACE.

VGChampion said:
Most annoying translations for me is when they type in the character's special moves in another language. I get it. The names are in another language but I can hear that. Now I want it translated to what I understand. No reason to even type it in at that point.

I don't know, I think attack names are one of the few things I think can be left untranslated without any real problem. If Sanji's attacks are supposed to be foreign to the Japanese audience, then they should be foreign to us as well (although hypocritically I don't really think Zoro's should be translated either).

Anth0ny

Yeah, I wouldn't want something like Kamehameha translated. Techniques are fine, but it's when words like nakama (which, for whatever reason, people think is a SACRED WORD) are left untranslated that really grinds my shit.

About to watch Strong World. Finally! :D

Firestorm

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I don't know, I think attack names are one of the few things I think can be left untranslated without any real problem. If Sanji's attacks are supposed to be foreign to the Japanese audience, then they should be foreign to us as well (although hypocritically I don't really think Zoro's should be translated either).
Well, he picked Japanese for Zoro so I can see why leaving that as is makes sense. He picked English for Luffy and I'd rather nit have "Pistol" and "Gattling Gun" changed to Japanese!

That's where the hypocrisy comes in. I wouldn't really want Luffy's attack names translated either, but I also don't think we should translate Robin's.

Maron

Ugh I hate Ace's fashion sense, lol.

He's only wearing pants. There's barely anything to hate. :lol

mileS said:

That word does not have nearly as much of an important meaning as some of you may want to believe. Apparently fdein from KF was even a bit concerned about the consequences of leaving the word untranslated at the time, and look what's happened now.

Wiseblade said:
Strong World is the best out of the One Piece movies I'd seen, but a little disappointing. I guess I'd mentally hyped it up too much and was let down when it turned out to be a run of the mill filler flick with better jokes and action.

Have you watched Movie 6 by any chance?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
What's the deal with movie 6? I watched it and aside from the animation it was bizarro world. Didn't feel like OP at all. Bored me at points too. Final fight was a mess as well.

Or wait, is movie 6 that race one? That was better and had a cooler fight. :lol

LaneDS

Relix said:
What's the deal with movie 6? I watched it and aside from the animation it was bizarro world. Didn't feel like OP at all. Bored me at points too. Final fight was a mess as well.

Or wait, is movie 6 that race one? That was better and had a cooler fight. :lol

Movie 6 is the one you're thinking of. I enjoyed it because of the odd animation style and how oddly dark it got. I agree it's a bit boring at times though, but I liked the ending.

Wiseblade

Maron said:
Have you watched Movie 6 by any chance?

Yeah, I thought the the art and concept were really good, but the execution wasn't up to snuff. I did think it was interesting how dark it got though.

mileS said:
Edit: removed link because it contains spoilers. Sorry

Easystride said:
If your ever bored, I recommend reading this discussion on the issue of leaving "nakama" untranslated. Demon Rin of Apforums, who actually has knows Japanese, does a good job of disputing the word's sacredness against the weeaboo of One Piece wikia. If his arguments don't convince you that it needs to be translated, then the fansubs have successfully brainwashed you.

Demon Rin also want Haki translate and no one has any idea what the hell they should use for it .
I don't care if they translate nakama or not but at same time some people translate it wrong in the context of the manga.
Don't think they should translate attacks few of the SH say there attacks in a another language .

Anth0ny

Easystride said:
If your ever bored, I recommend reading this discussion on the issue of leaving "nakama" untranslated. Demon Rin of Apforums, who actually has knows Japanese, does a good job of disputing the word's sacredness against the weeaboo of One Piece wikia. If his arguments don't convince you that it needs to be translated, then the fansubs have successfully brainwashed you.

I read that entire argument... and it's laughable. Rin brings up amazing points, yet all they counter with is "FRIEND/CREWMATE DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME EFFECT!!!"

lJxMP.jpg

upandaway

Anth0ny said:
I read that entire argument... and it's laughable. Rin brings up amazing points, yet all they counter with is "FRIEND/CREWMATE DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME EFFECT!!!"
That didn't even qualify as a counter. They were acting like 5 year olds who don't know what they want to say.

I came in half expecting him to be led into their bullshit, but he actually said multiple times quite clearly "hey you idiots, you're just sad because you saw too many episodes using it." I assumed that if they were told the truth they may reflect on their way of thinking, but I was a fool.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No one fucking read that fucking discussion about fucking nakama unless you want likely the biggest fucking spoilers from the next fucking arc fucking spoiled for you.

Fucking christ.

upandaway

Tathanen said:
No one fucking read that fucking discussion about fucking nakama unless you want likely the biggest fucking spoilers from the next fucking arc fucking spoiled for you.

Fucking christ.
Considering it's the One Piece Wikia, it should...
Y'know what yeah, I guess a warning was due.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Tathanen said:

Fucking christ.
Like I've said, stay FAR away from the One Piece wiki page AND the arlong park forums for the Marineford Arc. Hell, stay away from youtube One Piece vids too as some assholes are intentionally gonna spoil shit in the comment section. You've been warned.

BobLoblaw said:
Like I've said, stay FAR away from the One Piece wiki page AND the arlong park forums for the Marineford Arc. Hell, stay away from youtube One Piece vids too as some assholes are intentionally gonna spoil shit in the comment section. You've been warned.
clip of Luffy freeing Zoro from the second episode

"Oh man who would have thought that 450+ episodes later this series would lead to --------------------------"

mileS

Easystride said:
If your ever bored, I recommend reading this discussion this on the issue of leaving "nakama" untranslated. Demon Rin of Apforums, who actually has knows Japanese, does a good job of disputing the word's sacredness against the weeaboo of One Piece wikia. If his arguments don't convince you that it needs to be translated, then the fansubs have successfully brainwashed you.

Call it whatever you want I simply don't care enough to make a big deal about it.

Yea after reading a bit of that wiki I can completely understand where people are coming from. I still wouldn't go as far as saying "man these fansubs are TERRIBLE". I just figured they left it that way for a good reason because its been so long since I read the reason why.

scarybore

Easystride said:

Thanks for the link, that's an excellent (if rather depressing) read. I appreciate that translators and fansubs groups invest a lot of their free time into doing what they do, but the whole nakama incident is something that constantly boggles my mind and sadly strikes me as incompetence on their part.

Snaku said:
Holy fuck @ Whitebeard POP. He completely dwarfs Luffy & Ace. :D

http://imgur.com/LC9Ta.jpg

Damn, those look totally awesome. Would love to order something like that but I would be scared shitless that they would be broken in the post by the time they got to Britain.

I am truly sorry about that link guys. I got a bit careless in posting it. I removed it from my post, and I advise those who quoted me to do the same. Once again, I am very sorry.

Reknoc

He is still disadvantaged against those elemental fruit users. Is Haki the solution/remedy for it?

Yes. I'm sure it's been mentioned that Haki can stop people using their Devil Fruit powers.

Can people wield two devil fruit powers?

Don't think so no.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Easystride said:
I am truly sorry about that link guys. I got a bit careless in posting it. I removed it from my post, and I advise those who quoted me to do the same. Once again, I am very sorry.

Don't be. It's their fault for reading material and a conversation that happened a few weeks ago. Of course recent stuff is gonna be discussed there.

Reading this thread is really interesting. Like stepping back in time when no one had read the Marineford arc in the manga and watching all the speculation.

Entropia

No One Remembers
He is still disadvantaged against those elemental fruit users. Is Haki the solution/remedy for it? Can people wield two devil fruit powers?

Haki does appear to be the thing that combats element (logia?) fruit users.

If you eat a second devil fruit, you will blow up, iirc.

Movie 6 was pretty boring and forgetable I thought... I haven't seen Strong World...but Movie 3 (Clockwork Island?) is the only one I genuinely enjoyed

Anth0ny

Strong World was pretty good I thought. Story was okay, music was good, clothes were awesome, art and animation were awesome, fight scenes were pretty well done. All in all, good for a movie. But I did expect more, considering all the hype and that Oda was in charge of everything.

And considering all the breaks he took for this during Marineford :lol

Oh, and watching episode 0 before the movie helps. Gives it some much needed padding.

Reknoc

The ones I watched weren't too bad, only problem was the big "SAMPLE" in the top left of the screen.

I enjoyed it quite abit, but I gave Movie 6 another watch while it was downloading and I still think I prefer that.

Top Bottom