• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

upandaway

Relix said:
Boxing Luffy? =P
I liked it. You can just explain what happened before it but it'll be a bit awkward (I assume it's already awkward for her though, it is for me to watch something if I skip a part).

Reknoc

Davy Back Fight stuff was kinda crap, but it's also pretty short and has it's moments like the ball event and Foxy vs Afro Luffy. Though the anime did add some rather crap events.

Reknoc said:
Davy Back Fight stuff was kinda crap, but it's also pretty short and has it's moments like the ball event and Foxy vs Afro Luffy. Though the anime did add some rather crap events.

Its almost an entirely forgetable mini arc, lol (did we even gain anyting from it in the manga? manga filler, is that possible)

Reknoc

Dedication Through Light said:
Its almost an entirely forgetable mini arc, lol (did we even gain anyting from it in the manga? manga filler, is that possible)

No. Though I guess the Aokiji stuff was technically part of it.

I'm just a bigger sucker for Zoro and Sanji's uh, rivalry I guess, anytime they argue always makes me laugh.

Anth0ny

Davy Back Fight was more fillery than Skypiea lol, but at least it was short and had it's fun moments. Afro Luffy fight was awesome :lol

Ferrio

Banned
upandaway said:
Are you guys just saying Skypiea was filler because there was no new crewmember? Don't be silly

th_Eneru.jpg

upandaway said:
Are you guys just saying Skypiea was filler because there was no new crewmember? Don't be silly

No, because they did absolutely nothing in that arc and it was dragged on way further than necessary. Oda is not stranger to dragging the series, but the whole Skypiea arc was a the prime manifestation of his dragging. Everything that the arc "achieved" could have been done with way fewer episodes. Maybe something along the line will reveal what Skypiea was meant to do, but I really don't see it ATM.

Good arc? Yup
Filler arc? Yup

upandaway

Lionheart1337 said:
No, because they did absolutely nothing in that arc
Okay so I'm telling you, don't be silly. New bounties and crewmembers are not everything. Also, not having everything happen quickly does not make the whole arc filler.

watervengeance said:
Sometimes I feel like we just recycle discussions.
Well I wasn't there, so, I wasn't there. And I won't go back to read that pile of shit, instead I'll shit a new one.

Diablos54

Lionheart1337 said:
We needed an entire saga to do that? Hell, do we even need dials and detours for the show to go on?
Considering Nami and Ussop would be weaker than they already are (Or were), I'd say the dials were needed. Plus it's always good to go on a detour once in a while, that's what an adventure is all about! :D

Diablos54 said:
Considering Nami and Ussop would be weaker than they already are (Or were), I'd say the dials were needed. Plus it's always good to go on a detour once in a while, that's what an adventure is all about! :D

Which brings me back to the point.

Oda is not stranger to dragging the series, but the whole Skypiea arc was a the prime manifestation of his dragging.

The whole series is filler (like most >100 episode Shonens), MOST NAMELY Skypiea.

One Piece is probably my favorite fiction period, so inb4 hater's gonna hate.

Lionheart1337 said:
Which brings me back to the point.

Oda is not stranger to dragging the series, but the whole Skypiea arc was a the prime manifestation of his dragging.

The whole series is filler (like most >100 episode Shonens), MOST NAMELY Skypiea.

One Piece is probably my favorite fiction period, so inb4 hater's gonna hate.

lol negative much?

Skypiea just started slow. Of course thats all relative as it seemed to go fast reading it in the manga.

Diablos54

Lionheart1337 said:
Uh, what? I agree that Skypiea is the arc that would be considered filler due to the slow pace it has (The anime didn't' help matters at all), but the whole series? I can't understand that myself.

Diablos54 said:
Uh, what? I agree that Skypiea is the arc that would be considered filler due to the slow pace it has (The anime didn't' help matters at all), but the whole series? I can't understand that myself.

Well go read some of the Oda interviews where he basically admits it.

One Piece was never (again like a lot of manga) intended to last this long. He already had the entire series planned out and it was way shorter than its coming out to be, he arbitrarily spends way more time than necessary on his story segments. Case in point = fishmen were supposed to be introduced in episode 2. :lol

Diablos54

Lionheart1337 said:

One Piece was never (again like a lot of manga) intended to last this long. He already had the entire series planned out and it was way shorter than its coming out to be, he arbitrarily spends way more time than necessary on his story segments. Case in point = fishmen were supposed to be introduced in episode 2. :lol
But that doesn't make the whole thing filler does it? It just means it's been drawn out, big difference.

upandaway

Himuro said:
Why do people act like Arabasta is so much shorter than Skypiea? Skypiea is probably shorter and better paced and more enjoyable aside from the final fight. Croc vs Luffy > Enel vs Luffy
I just hate the desert setting so fucking much. I fucking hate it everywhere I see it. Thank god OP got it out of the way early. Why do people still use it? It's a draining experience every time.

upandaway

Himuro said:
Lawrence of Arabia sucks. 3 hours of sand.
Fucking arab settings too. They're kinda tied to desert settings though, thank god.

By the way I hope you guys noticed my pun I can never pull those off

Diablos54

upandaway said:
Fucking arab settings too. They're kinda tied to desert settings though, thank god.

By the way I hope you guys noticed my pun I can never pull those off
The whole draining experience? Well, I got it at least. :p

Lionheart1337 said:

WTF that's not the meaning of filler .
OP was plan for 5 years but Oda was never good with time any way .
Also he did not have the whole series plan out , he say he had idea what to do and had a ending to work with.
As time went on he start adding more and more stuff as i said Oda is really bad with time.
Oda said he does not need to do another manga cause what ever he want to do he can in OP.

gundamkyoukai said:
Oda said he does not need to do another manga cause what ever he want to do he can in OP.

Darn I hate when they say that. That rules out the chance of ever doing a One Piece retelling or reboot from a different perspective. Those are awesome ways to appeal to the fanbase. Bad move, lol.

upandaway

Didn't he say he was halfway done recently? He won't do anything else for 10 more years. I'm sure that whatever he says now about making other series will not be worth anything 10 years from now.

Dedication Through Light said:
Darn I hate when they say that. That rules out the chance of ever doing a One Piece retelling or reboot from a different perspective. Those are awesome ways to appeal to the fanbase. Bad move, lol.
Fuck that. I can't believe you're hoping for this even slightly.

dabig2

Diablos54 said:

I'd say it was useful as it got us and the crew acclimated to the newly acquired Robin. Considering the arc after it, it was useful to see her doing her thing with the crew to build up an attachment for the emotional drama on Water 7/Enies Lobby.

Plus I just love pure adventure and creative lands/cultures doused in history and mystery :D

upandaway

dabig2 said:
I'd say it was useful as it got us and the crew acclimated to the newly acquired Robin. Considering the arc after it, it was useful to see her doing her thing with the crew to build up an attachment for the emotional drama on Water 7/Enies Lobby.
Yeah, even without all the universe development of Skypiea, CP9 wouldn't have been nearly as good without it if only for Robin, Usopp and Merry.

Himuro said:
Are you serious? That's disappointing.

Yep when strong world was coming out he gave allot of interviews.
In one he ways saying that if want to mechs he just have it on one of the islands in OP same for other stuff.
Still oda always change his mind so who knows.

Himuro said:
I just want something that's not One Piece related by Oda. Something that's the opposite, something more serious. I'd love to read a seinan from Oda, or something akin to a Tezuka story.

Yeah i love read a seinan from Oda but after OP is done it's going to be 20 years plus .
You got to wonder if he going want to do anything else and just sit back and count all his money :lol :lol
OP is going to be best selling manga in history by a very large amount .

Relix said:
Was this a good choice? =P.

Noooo....!

Foxy is a great arc. I thought it was going to be bad with how it started (guy on stilts, long island) but it ended up being hilarious. That's the arc I show people who want to see what One Piece is like without really spoiling anything besides the crew members. Not one person I've shown it to has disliked it.

Oh, and I really like when the crew goes off and has an adventure almost entirely in an island apart from the big over arching storyline. Skypea we get away and have a stand alone adventure and we get the amazing Jaya arc before hand, and to an extent, Thriller Bark. That was another great adventure that let us cool down after the crazy events of Water 9 / Enies.

I'll admit though, every time we come to one of these areas I want it to hurry up so we can get back to the big story but re-reading the series they are almost infinitely better. Just like how watching a new episode can leave you disappointed but on a rewatch you realize it wasn't that bad. :lol

Edit: I just looked up what Seinan is and is that anything like Death Note? If not I don't think I get the difference but I think Oda is in a natural element with One Piece. To pull off something so awesome you're probably pretty invested in that style. I could be totally wrong though.

robox

kinda inspired by the latest manga chapter but....

who is the most uninteresting character in the series?
i vote mr. 1 das bones
for a number 2 man, he is so unremarkable. i'm not sure if there's been any effort put into his character at all.

Steroyd

The OP is different from the type I would have expected it to be given how this arc goes down, but it still works and I like it.

Oh Toei never change, you go out of your way in the Admirals retrospective and this weeks episode covering Akainu's face only to give him full facial nudity in the opening. :lol

LaneDS

r - b - x said:
kinda inspired by the latest manga chapter but....

who is the most uninteresting character in the series?
i vote mr. 1 das bones
for a number 2 man, he is so unremarkable. i'm not sure if there's been any effort put into his character at all.

Since this is the anime thread, there's plenty of characters more boring than Das Bones present in the filler arcs. And personally, I kind of like his character. Not much to him, just a cold #2 to Crocodile. And c'mon, sword hands.

Not sure who I'd pick though, I'll think on that.

Johnlenham said:
I see the raws kicking around but not the sub, hwo the hell can it take so long to do it!

There is an English Sub floating around. The problem is they used Google Translate to translate some Italian sub to English for it so it's probably pretty terrible.

upandaway

MiloFoxburr said:
There is an English Sub floating around. The problem is they used Google Translate to translate some Italian sub to English for it so it's probably pretty terrible.
Oh, fuck that then.

Some dudes said they're doing it and they'll release it in late August or something. Fucking insane.

Top Bottom