• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Firestorm

As it gets archived some episodes seem to be going to Hulu which isn't available outside the US... Hopefully it's still available for everyone the day it comes out.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Yea the movie was a huge letdown for a couple reesons:

Shiki went toe to toe with Roger, both Garp and Sengoku at the same time yet luffy fucked him up pretty easily.

What was the point of the Strawhats getting all dressed up?! Its not like they sneaked into Shiki's base.

The fights were pretty boring imo.

Anth0ny

Himuro said:
It's only for old episodes. If you're caught up it won't be an issue.

I certainly hope so. I wanted to watch the first Marineford episode again, and I can't even watch that. I wouldn't have cared if it wasn't the greatest arc in manga history.

for me every episode is blocked, but that has been always the case because I'm from Europe...

btw I watched Movie 6 (Baron Omatsuri) and I think it was kinda strange seeing this dark tone around the crew. Also the fight(s) were kinda shit and inconsistent.
It basically felt like watching that fucked up mansion part in GitS 2.

anyway, I wanted to ask about the story because I seem to have missed some parts..?

So the ex-pirate captain lost all of his crew in a storm. But at which point did he become possessed by this demonic flower?
I guess he arrived on the island after the storm, at least one of the ship wrecks was his and all the graves are for his dead crew? Then he finds the flower on the island?

The flower itself, where did it come from? It seems to have some godlike abilities like creating super arrows, transforming every plant into anything, even people. Even the whole city (including highlevel technology) is probably made by it.

Also, the plant-people do actually have the consciousness of the dead people? They "die" once they realize/remember what happened with them and not only when the plant needs more energy at the end of the movie? (guy drinking with Nami etc.)

I tried google and the op wiki but none actually provides a story analysis. Oh and the op wiki mentioned that Luffy deals a rare fatal blow to the Baron. How can you know he is dead? OP has lots of characters who got fucked up much more and still live.

Anth0ny

Looks like Canada still gets the simulcasted episode. Thank GOD :D

A couple of notes:

- I liked the filler for Rouge's part of the flashback. That needed to be extended a little bit in my opinion, as did a lot of stuff in this arc. One of the main reasons why I'm looking forward to Marineford being animated is (well done) implied filler :D

- The music playing during Buggy's big moment was hilarious. Perfect :lol

- Did anyone else laugh out loud when they played around 8 seconds of opening 12 animation in sequence? Seriously, stop reminding me of that abomination :lol

- Not sure why they didn't end the episode with
Whitebeard appearing
. That's how the corresponding chapter ended, and it would have been much more powerful than the ending we received. And it's going to be lame happening right at the beginning of next episode =/

Overall, good episode. Animation was good throughout (there was some crap), pacing was good (just less than one chapter covered, mostly thanks to the Rouge filler.) You're 2 for 2 Toei.

It was a decent episode...based on my tally it was essentially 16 minutes of backstory, 2 minutes of repeating what we heard last episode, and 3 minutes of "liek ZOH-MY-GAHD pirates!" and yes I was super excited at that part, lol.

Though I guess, better to provide backstory now than in the middle of some action scene.

Reknoc

What a lousy reporter, he's filled his notebook with the same thing on each page.

Edit: It's probably just me but Hancock looked somewhat off in each scene she was in.

LaneDS

Anth0ny said:
- Did anyone else laugh out loud when they played around 8 seconds of opening 12 animation in sequence? Seriously, stop reminding me of that abomination :lol

- Not sure why they didn't end the episode with
Whitebeard appearing
. That's how the corresponding chapter ended, and it would have been much more powerful than the ending we received. And it's going to be lame happening right at the beginning of next episode =/

Overall, good episode. Animation was good throughout (there was some crap), pacing was good (just less than one chapter covered, mostly thanks to the Rouge filler.) You're 2 for 2 Toei.

That's not the first time they've re-used all that footage either. They'll probably be very sad once the admirals stand up and they can't use that shot of the three of them anymore.

I agree on the ending, although I enjoyed the episode regardless. I feel like a bunch of characters are going to have different voices for this arc. Coby's friend who I can't remember the name of sounded different, as did Donflamingo, but that might be because I haven't heard either of them talk in, hm, years.

And as silly as Moria is, he's got an awesomely distinct voice, so that was good to hear him again.

Oh, and I really liked the music in the Rouge flashback. Was that new? Seemed new.

upandaway

It was awesome. No strikes against Toei yet (and I'm considering anything not super well made a strike for Marineford).

Also Buggy music was hilarious.

So, I've been catching up on the series a bit slowly (animated of course).

I'm up to
Franky about to kidnap Ussop during the CP9 raid

Man, it's a bit depressing how this is turning out.

Trickster

upandaway said:
It was awesome. No strikes against Toei yet (and I'm considering anything not super well made a strike for Marineford).

Really? I just finished watching ep 460. And except for 2-3 scenes, I was pretty dissapointed with a lot of it animation wise.

upandaway

Trickster said:
Really? I just finished watching ep 460. And except for 2-3 scenes, I was pretty dissapointed with a lot of it animation wise.
It was all talking, and the drawing, music and pacing was good. What opportunity was there for bad animation?

Though, I don't tend to review the episodes with specifics, it's just that I was really tense during some of the scenes and I laughed during the Buggy scene, so = good episode.

Trickster

upandaway said:
It was all talking, and the drawing, music and pacing was good. What opportunity was there for bad animation?

Though, I don't tend to review the episodes with specifics, it's just that I was really tense during some of the scenes and I laughed during the Buggy scene, so = good episode.

Yeah I know it wasn't an episode that really needed super high quality production values. But for instance,
right when the moby dick out of the water and lands again.
I could literally count each frame.

Really looking forward to the next episode though. Hope they don't butcher it, Naruto vs Pain style.

Man I really thought they'd show whitebeard this ep. They really are trying to build the suspence but I would've liked the cliffhanger to be left like the manga did.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
fa0g3c.jpg

One Piece - Ep 461 - The Beginning of the War! Ace and Whitebeard's Past! (SUB)

In tonight's episode, we will all be horribly disappointed in Ivankov's new inevitably inferior voice.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I love that the very second Toei started throwing in their own filler into the episode...

30auvf4.jpg

They managed to forget one of the key events of the series. :lol

watcha doin' there with 2 arms, Shanks?

upandaway

The ending cliffhanger was pretty dumb, but I liked most of the new stuff (though, did we know if Ace had his Logia before joining Whitebeard? I only remember him using weapons in the manga to try and kill WB).
BB's (literal) backstabbing was awesome. Usually they would go ahead and waste 1 more minute reminding us what he did.

Whitebeard's scars look WAY too rough in that last scene! It's like he has a river in his chest.

grandjedi6 said:
I love that the very second Toei started throwing in their own filler into the episode...

http://i38.tinypic.com/30auvf4.jpg[IMG]

They managed to forget one of the key events of the series. :lol

[spoiler]watcha doin' there with 2 arms, Shanks?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
:lol :lol

upandaway

Himuro said:
flintstryker 276
mysticwhip 256
watervengeance 251
upandaway 236
cosmicblizzard 231
Dedication Through Light 216
Angry Grimace 212
Himuro 207

I'M SLACKING IN THE MANGA THREAD

/pours a 40 for DTL
Where did you disappear to?

BobLoblaw said:
:lol I totally missed that. But since it was Ace's memory, maybe he forgot. :D
:lol I guess that's one way to look at it

Anth0ny

Ace's flashback was awesome. I'm really happy they're fleshing out these flashbacks in the anime, seeing Thatch that much was great, and Blackbeard's betrayal was insane.

And lol @ Shanks' arms :lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
upandaway said:
The ending cliffhanger was pretty dumb, but I liked most of the new stuff (though, did we know if Ace had his Logia before joining Whitebeard? I only remember him using weapons in the manga to try and kill WB).
Yes. Ace used his fire in the same way in the manga, creating a barrier between the Spade Pirates and WB. So he definitely had it then.

Episode titles for the next few weeks sound promising. They're basically going 1:1 on the episode to chapter ratio. Even though we covered a little under one chapter in this episode, the next chapter was basically all action, so it should all balance out.

Plus we got the flashback stuff nicely fleshed out. Good stuff, hilarious animation goofs aside.

upandaway

MetatronM said:
Episode titles for the next few weeks sound promising. They're basically going 1:1 on the episode to chapter ratio. Even though we covered a little under one chapter in this episode, the next chapter was basically all action, so it should all balance out.
They are? That's a bit surprising. I thought it was just so far because they had opportunities for new scenes.

If they keep it up this way instead of drawing it out like before, then this will be really badass. It's way better when they add in more stuff, than if they simply animated the manga and had 2 chapters for every episode (even though that will be really good too).

RagnarokX

upandaway said:
They are? That's a bit surprising. I thought it was just so far because they had opportunities for new scenes.

If they keep it up this way instead of drawing it out like before, then this will be really badass. It's way better when they add in more stuff, than if they simply animated the manga and had 2 chapters for every episode (even though that will be really good too).
I dunno. They did that with the Impel Down arc and it was terrible; episodes were sometimes less than 1 chapter, episodes began and ended in the middle of chapters, scenes were dragged out, Buggy and Mr 3 adventures. Hopefully they stick to a full 1:1 ratio, add some actually interesting filler, and don't come up with their own start and stop points.

Top Bottom