• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tathanen said:
The art in the Marco vs Kizaru skirmish was pretty friggin fabulous.

Also: Oars? Is.. is that a weird romanization of Oz? Or was Oz the wrong romanization? Or do they actually have different names, those two.
"Oz" is incorrect. His name is, in fact, Oars. See also: EmCeeGramr's post. :D

Finally hitting the right pacing here and even ending the episode with the end of a chapter. More of this please, show.

Marco vs. Kizaru was awesome, as was Little Oars Jr.'s reveal.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
On a sidenote...

I was watching Thiller Bark with my sister and in the very end these huge figures appear behind the fog. That caught my attention. I didn't remember that. Now I wanna know what the eff that was :lol :lol

I think if that's ever explained it may be around Lola's moms entrance. That's the only thing I could see linking back to that storyline. I'm assuming it's just going to be a mystery which I like.

upandaway

The music was really weird. I didn't like it even once in the episode

Like, during Oar's scene, why did they choose that?

One Piece is usually awesome in that aspect...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Slayven said:
Is that the first time they shown female giants?
Yes. It makes an otherwise fodder character even more notable considering that she's 1 of 5 females in this entire battlefield :lol

Relix said:
On a sidenote...

I was watching Thiller Bark with my sister and in the very end these huge figures appear behind the fog. That caught my attention. I didn't remember that. Now I wanna know what the eff that was :lol :lol
We probably won't learn that for another 10 years or something :lol

:/

upandaway said:
The music was really weird. I didn't like it even once in the episode

Like, during Oar's scene, why did they choose that?

One Piece is usually awesome in that aspect...
Wait, you think its odd that they choose to play Overtaken, aka one of the most used pieces of music in the entire anime?

upandaway

grandjedi6 said:
Wait, you think its odd that they choose to play Overtaken, aka one of the most used pieces of music in the entire anime?
It.. didn't fit Oars' entrance. Don't force me to try and explain why in words, it just doesn't! Okay!

this is the best thing ever by the way

best fucking thing maaannnnnnnnnnnn

Overtaken is amazing but I agree. For me, it's more of an epic "here's the crew" kind of song. I'm sure it's played elsewhere but the most memorable is the Arlong Park walk.

And I'm sure I'm the last one to ever know this but I was going through my new DBZ Kai DVD and decided to listen to the voice actors and lo and behold when I got to Krillen he sounded familiar. I never knew Luffy was Krillen. :lol

Anth0ny

Luffy=Kuririn
Dr. Kureha=Goku/Gohan/Goten/you know there's lots
Ace=Piccolo
some filler pirate=Freeza
Mr. Satan=Jimbei (before Gouri died)
Videl=Portgas D. Rouge

And I'm definitely missing some. That DBZ VA squad is pure talent, not surprised at all that they're getting work in One Piece. Hell, Oda drew Luffy with Mayumi Tanaka voicing him in mind.

Anth0ny said:
And I'm definitely missing some. That DBZ VA squad is pure talent, not surprised at all that they're getting work in One Piece. Hell, Oda drew Luffy with Mayumi Tanaka voicing him in mind.

Really? That's cool.

Just goes to show how far off the current Funimation VA for Luffy is. None of the others really bother me, but Luffy with a "scratchy" voice just doesn't do it for me and I want to like the dub.

Bit of an update on my catching up with the series. Just got to the
introduction of Brooke.

Luffy is just freaking hilarious.
Can you poop?

Azure J

So, since everyone in here knows enough about the anime, I figured I'd ask this in here. Does anyone know the name of the music that played in the series when
Shanks & Whitebeard
had their little skirmish? It was also played when
Kuma used Ursus Shock during the finale of the Thriller Bark arc
. I've been dying to find it for some time now.

Yea. Probably my favorite episode since the SA arc. Loved the Boa Hancock fight. And for the most part, it was well paced aside from all the groaning Ace reaction shots.

Griffith

Banned
AzureJericho said:
So, since everyone in here knows enough about the anime, I figured I'd ask this in here. Does anyone know the name of the music that played in the series when
Shanks & Whitebeard
had their little skirmish? It was also played when
Kuma used Ursus Shock during the finale of the Thriller Bark arc
. I've been dying to find it for some time now.
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxAyfFvI690

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I was afraid they might tone down the violence with Little Oars Jr. a little bit in the anime. They didn't, which was really nice to see.

Damn awesome episode.

Maron

Door2Dawn said:
What does the dub version sound like?

It's a regular laugh. I still really like the dub voice for him though.

VGChampion said:
Really? That's cool.

Just goes to show how far off the current Funimation VA for Luffy is. None of the others really bother me, but Luffy with a "scratchy" voice just doesn't do it for me and I want to like the dub.

Eh, I still really like it. I love Mayumi Tanaka (I heard it first after all) but I really don't think that voice would sound good in English. The dub VA does a fine job, I feel.

Anth0ny said:
Luffy=Kuririn
Dr. Kureha=Goku/Gohan/Goten/you know there's lots
Ace=Piccolo
some filler pirate=Freeza
Mr. Satan=Jimbei (before Gouri died)
Videl=Portgas D. Rouge

Same with Ivankov and Franky.

dabig2

That was an A++ episode. One of the best in a long time. Great pacing and it actually improved on the manga by a bit with the extra stuff, such as Oars laying the smackdown.

Firestorm

Daaamn. Those scenes in red did a much better job of showing the carnage of this war than the manga did.

Too many scenes with static images slowly moving across the screen though =/

Griffith

Banned
SnakeSlashRO said:
Oh man, does anyone have some gifs of Boa kicking ass???

I love this chick!! :lol :lol :lol
144eac.jpg

daoster

So as I'm trying to catch up on the Marineford arc anime, seeing all these old characters make me want to watch the whole thing all over again...since I've deleted my old collection, and I'm in no mood to download it again, nor do I want to watch poor quality streams...I guess I'm going to rent it from NetFlix

And since its TV-14, I'm going to assume it's the Funimation one and not the 4-Kids one. Is the FUnimation one heavily altered? Obviously, it won't be as bad as the 4Kids, but is it noticeable?

And how's the Funimation dub?

Also, how far have Funimation gotten with the DVD releases? I know they've been releasing the newest episodes from Japan, but where are they in the actual boxset releases

Griffith

Banned
daoster said:
So as I'm trying to catch up on the Marineford arc anime, seeing all these old characters make me want to watch the whole thing all over again...since I've deleted my old collection, and I'm in no mood to download it again, nor do I want to watch poor quality streams...I guess I'm going to rent it from NetFlix

And since its TV-14, I'm going to assume it's the Funimation one and not the 4-Kids one. Is the FUnimation one heavily altered? Obviously, it won't be as bad as the 4Kids, but is it noticeable?

Also, how far have Funimation gotten with the DVD releases? I know they've been releasing the newest episodes from Japan, but where are they in the actual boxset releases
The Funimation version is completely uncut.

The dub is pretty good. I have no complaints.

The DVD releases are up to Skypiea.

daoster said:

Funimation isn't altered at all as far as I know. The dub's okay. Takes awhile to get used to and I personally heavily dislike Luffy's voice actor. Luffy's voice is scratchy and rough just like it was in the 4Kids version. Don't know what they were thinking with that. And I believe there up in Skypea these days.

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Man I love One piece but those the laughs from the villains in thriller bark saga annoyed the living hell out of me.

I liked a few of them but that's when I sadly realized every character was going to pretty much have an individual laugh. Really wish they would save that for the super big characters. Perona was okay though.

Otrebor Nightmarecoat said:
Man I love One piece but those the laughs from the villains in thriller bark saga annoyed the living hell out of me.

I find it weird throughout the entire series how characters have their own little idioms that they do.
Like Iceburg saying "MBaaaa" or the guy from Alabasta going "MeeMeeeMeee".

smurfx

get some go again
Iron E Man said:
So damn good I love Boa <3
damn she is such a broken character. still i'd rather have jewelry bonney on the strawhats than hancock. hancock can follow luffy around and occasionally help him out.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm not going to be able to handle this. I think it is time to just stop watching forever and make up an ending in my head.

upandaway

Fuck yeah that was awesome. Got a smile on me right now.

Doflamingo's speech I think was a little off and god help us with Ivankov's VA, but other than that (and the strange delay of Oars' death at the beginning), man it was good. Fucking Garp nearly got me, and then there's Akainu.

Top Bottom