• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, and for once basically started with the exact start of the chapter and ended with the exact end of the chapter.

EDIT: Ooh, looks like they're adding some fun stuff to next week's episode. :D

dabig2

Another solid episode. Good set-up for what I'm hoping is filled to the brim with tons of Luffy kicking ass. Seriously, I'm all for pace and whatnot, but I wouldn't mind if they pulled something similar to early Enies Lobby where they showed a ton of filler of Luffy solo'ing :lol

I was also pleasantly impressed with the music and presentation in the episode. A lot of nostalgic tunes. Looking forward to the rest of this arc as shit kicks even further into the next gear from here on out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
dabig2 said:
Another solid episode. Good set-up for what I'm hoping is filled to the brim with tons of Luffy kicking ass. Seriously, I'm all for pace and whatnot, but I wouldn't mind if they pulled something similar to early Enies Lobby where they showed a ton of filler of Luffy solo'ing :lol
Looks like you're going to get your wish. There are definitely some fights in that preview that didn't happen in the manga. :D

Dartastic

So good. Great episode, and it looks like next week is going to be amazing as well. <3 One Piece.

ONLY TWO MORE WEEKS UNTIL NEW ONE PIECE MANGA AUGHGHGHH

I think this was the first episode that really showed off marineford the way I wanted, even the extended stuff felt like it extended it in a very good way more so than just awkward/boring filler.

I actually really loved the scene of Luffy looking around for Ace and the (properly animated shots with a lot of fights showing) scenes of him seeing the war going on and all the confusion until he finally got up to the mast and found ace.

That entire scene was one tiny panel in the actual manga and it got extended into one of my favourite scenes out of the entire war arc so far.

I honestly hope that they can manage to do this type of stuff for future episodes, expanding small detail like that into something honestly good and memorable instead of just adding bland unanimated scenes that add absolutely nothing to the story aside from reminding us where we are.

I think that if any and all of the important episodes have roughly the average quality of this one, I'll be very satisfied.

also the fact that there were a few flashbacks to super old stuff didn't even become a problem, cause all the flashbacks were kept under 10 seconds and they really had some purpose; heck in the manga it wasn't even pointed out that Luffy's knowledge of fighting croc was being applied.

I'll say that this episode is actually one that I wouldn't mind rewatching some time in the future, which is something I haven't had for a while.

Preview for the next ep was great too, I'm starting to regain my hope that this arc will be just as good in the anime as in the manga.

But we'll see. :lol

Anth0ny

Neoriceisgood said:
I think this was the first episode that really showed off marineford the way I wanted, even the extended stuff felt like it extended it in a very good way more so than just awkward/boring filler.

I actually really loved the scene of Luffy looking around for Ace and the (properly animated shots with a lot of fights showing) scenes of him seeing the war going on and all the confusion until he finally got up to the mast and found ace.

That entire scene was one tiny panel in the actual manga and it got extended into one of my favourite scenes out of the entire war arc so far.

I honestly hope that they can manage to do this type of stuff for future episodes, expanding small detail like that into something honestly good and memorable instead of just adding bland unanimated scenes that add absolutely nothing to the story aside from reminding us where we are.

EXACTLY. Some of those panels are so damned action packed, that they could easily animate them without it seeming slow (ACE-GUUUUUUUUN). The Luffy/Ace exchange you mentioned is a perfect example of a single panel, small panel animated right.

There will be many more opportunities for stuff like that in this arc :D

SappYoda

Himuro said:
HOW MUCH LONGER DAMMIT

fk8tj5.jpg

JDSN

Banned
The anime really has made a point that Whitebeard is the strongest guy in the world, the manga just painted him as some old guy good for standing still and
getting stabbed
, but the anime has captured the idea that he is a force of nature waiting for the right moment to fuck things up, like that tiny yakuza guy in a pink suit from that Simpsons episode.

Anth0ny

JDSN said:
The anime really has made a point that Whitebeard is the strongest guy in the world, the manga just painted him as some old guy good for standing still and
getting stabbed
, but the anime has captured the idea that he is a force of nature waiting for the right moment to fuck things up, like that tiny yakuza guy in a pink suit from that Simpsons episode.

"Look at that guy! You just know he's gonna do something!"

As Homer and Marge walk inside, you just hear WATAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :lol

El Sloth

Banned
JDSN said:
The anime really has made a point that Whitebeard is the strongest guy in the world, the manga just painted him as some old guy good for standing still, but the anime has captured the idea that he is a force of nature waiting for the right moment to fuck things up, like that tiny yakuza guy in a pink suit from that Simpsons episode.

Disagree, Whitebeard was as much as bad ass as in the manga as he is in the anime. Actually I think I preferred Whitebeard more before I heard his voice, which just seems weird. The laugh being the worst offender.

And at least clarify that's a manga spoiler, man. You know some anime only dude is gonna highlight that thinking it's from the latest episode.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
El Sloth said:
Disagree, Whitebeard was as much as bad ass as in the manga as he is in the anime. Actually I think I preferred Whitebeard more before I heard his voice, which just seems weird. The laugh being the worst offender.
Agreed. His VA is atrocious. It sounds like its some old guy with throat cancer saying "kekekekeke"

Pacing is still shitty, but I'm loving it. This arc was made for me. :lol

Anth0ny

They should have just got Wakamoto. What the fuck were they thinking?

Sengoku's voice is horrible too. Really sucks that we'll be seeing these two characters a whole lot the next couple of weeks, their voices just make me cringe >_>

JDSN

Banned
El Sloth said:
And at least clarify that's a manga spoiler, man. You know some anime only dude is gonna highlight that thinking it's from the latest episode.

The comment is about how I think the manga pictures him, its obviously gonna be manga spoiler.

ocadman

Awesome episode. I thought the first exchange between Whitebeard and Luffy along with Buggy and Ivankov's reactions were done perfectly.

Anth0ny

akachan ningen said:
Fuck no. I think he had to sound old and weak. It just makes him more badass when he actually does something.

white%20beard.jpg

I don't really think "old and weak" exactly goes with the 12 foot tall, ripped, spear wielding, anti-gravity mustached BEAST that is Whitebeard.

Anth0ny said:
They should have just got Wakamoto. What the fuck were they thinking?

Sengoku's voice is horrible too. Really sucks that we'll be seeing these two characters a whole lot the next couple of weeks, their voices just make me cringe >_>

Wakamoto would've been the perfect choice. The only thing that irks me every time is the "Gurararara" laugh.

Anth0ny said:
http://www.japanworld.it/catalog/images/MEGAHOUSE/white%20beard.jpg[IMG]

I don't really think "old and weak" exactly goes with the 12 foot tall, ripped, spear wielding, anti-gravity mustached BEAST that is Whitebeard.[/QUOTE]
that's some infantile logic.

Well watching the last 3 episodes in a row, I can confirm to myself that the anime is far better than the manga. You just can't watch it bit by bit, it's made to be watched with episodes stacked one a top of another.

Also how is this legal online streaming thing working for Toei and Funimation? Is it profitable?

upandaway said:
Doflamingo's speech I think was a little off

It definitely was. Funimation's translation/script really is ass compared to certain fan subs (particularly one I highly enjoyed before I rightfully moved to the legal alternative).

Quicksilva said:
So any of you guys that used to just watch the anime then decided to start reading the manga.

Are you happy you did? do you still enjoy the anime just as much?

No. The anime is significantly better than the manga. The only benefit with the manga is that it doesn't take half a year to finish an arc.

gundamkyoukai said:
If we are talking about voices, Ace VA has been killing me so far.

Not watching One Piece in Japanese is like not watching South Park in English, it just doesn't work.

El Sloth said:

Personally I don't think the anime or either the manga capture his badassness. Outside of the introductory tidal waves and the Giant whoop-ass in the anime and the
half decapitation
it never really shows.

I know that sounds like a lot but it really isn't. We arguably see more badassness from Don Flamingo.

Also I'm sure this sounds odd to ask but...why is he called Whitebeard if he doesn't have a beard?

upandaway

Flying_Phoenix said:
Also I'm sure this sounds odd to ask but...why is he called Whitebeard if he doesn't have a beard?
I'm not Japanese trained or anything (we'll have to wait for a real answer) but I think "hige" in "shirohige" doesn't just mean beard, but also mustache or whatever, and Whitemustache sounds stupid and without connotation to the real pirate.

JDSN said:
The comment is about how I think the manga pictures him, its obviously gonna be manga spoiler.
Yeah but he's not saying you'll be at fault if someone spoilers himself on it, just that someone might really go "DUUUHHHH WHO AM I" and highlight it and then curse himself (and it's totally his fault), and it can be avoided on your end.

A bit too late for that but I'm just saying

upandaway said:
I'm not Japanese trained or anything (we'll have to wait for a real answer) but I think "hige" in "shirohige" doesn't just mean beard, but also mustache or whatever, and Whitemustache sounds stupid and without connotation to the real pirate.
Correct, Japanese only has a word for facial hair and does not distinguish between beards and mustaches.

Father_Mike said:
Sengoku says Luffy is "a" son of Dragon, not "the" son? What did the manga say?

There's no difference between the two in japanese, unless he specifically says "one of the sons of dragon" or "the only son of dragon." It's just inconsistent translation.

p.s. this week's episode was lame.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Magnus_Bulla said:
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait.....the official site is using Hulu now? Man, fuck that.

Edit: Oh wait, now it's not....weird.

The episode premiers on their site using their native player, and then they swap to the Hulu player after a little while, once it's actually available on Hulu presumably. So you'll see the Hulu player up until the new ep comes on, at which point it swaps to their native player.

Good episode again, but the recap was way too long. Anyways, the episodes for this arc have been great so far after the disappointment of Impel Down.

Flying_Phoenix said:
It definitely was. Funimation's translation/script really is ass compared to certain fan subs (particularly one I highly enjoyed before I rightfully moved to the legal alternative).

I'm fine with their script but I'm also fine with fan translations as long as they don't use nakama.

No. The anime is significantly better than the manga. The only benefit with the manga is that it doesn't take half a year to finish an arc.

Obviously just opinion. I used to be anime only watcher but after Water 7 I moved to the manga and couldn't be happier. In my opinion, the anime has been downhill for awhile and Impel Down and now Marineford are just so slow. Half the time it feels like I'm watching colored manga footage with a Ken Burns effect.

Not watching One Piece in Japanese is like not watching South Park in English, it just doesn't work.

I half agree with this. If Funimation would just replace Luffy's VA with someone who actually sounds good it would be close to the Japanese imo. I don't have some fascination with the Japanese tracks that it has to be that or nothing. The dubs are actually quite well. Minus Luffy that is and that is a big chunk of it.

NomarTyme

Easystride said:
Good episode again, but the recap was way too long. Anyways, the episodes for this arc have been great so far after the disappointment of Impel Down.
It took fucking 6 minutes till they show something.

NomarTyme said:
It took fucking 6 minutes till they show something.

It took almost 7.5 minutes to get to past the intro/recap. The longest so far. The shortest I think has been around or just under 5 minutes.

I like the episode, but the sake flashback should have been left out
since it did not show a certain third person

I liked the style used for Giant Rifle scene and lol'd at Kuma shooting a hole through Iva's hair

Griffith

Banned
bgassassin said:
Why would they leave it out? That scene was in the manga.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Episode was shit. Pacing was terrible. 20minutes... more like 13, for 2 fight introductions and Luffy knocking out a bunch of nobodies.

Tathanen said:
The episode premiers on their site using their native player, and then they swap to the Hulu player after a little while, once it's actually available on Hulu presumably. So you'll see the Hulu player up until the new ep comes on, at which point it swaps to their native player.
Yeah, I realized that after a little while. It was scary for a minute, though, I thought I wasn't going to be able to watch the new one. Luckily, disaster averted.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
bgassassin said:
Just like in the manga, you could still see
the shadow from the third cup just barely poking into the side of the frame

Anth0ny

Best animation in an episode ever? It was AMAZING all the way through, and that gear 3 was some fucking movie 10 shit.

Awesome episode. Probably the best of the war... so far.

Anth0ny

upandaway said:
Awesome avatar man.

You should get that gif'd.

I agree, my Charizard ava-brother.

I've only seen the version with a shadow so far, and it's way to big for gaf. This one is just a placeholder, once the shadowless version is released it'll be there :D

so yeah one piece woooo

Maron

Flying_Phoenix said:

Eh, my first exposure to One Piece (and also the majority of the series I've viewed up to this point) has been in Japanese. Doesn't mean I don't love the dub though. :D

I haven't checked out the past 5 episode of this arc due to how badly 462 turned out. Time for a little marathon!

Top Bottom